Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The real chumps are us for still reading this manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Namnesor posted:

The real chumps are us for still reading this manga

If we get to Naruto-tier writing then we can actually worry.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i just want this specific fight to be over. i honestly feel like mori does as well. the story beats seem to be happening with less build up than takamura's usual bouts. we went from 'dominating' to 'getting owned' in like 1 chapter. i can't even tell what point mori is trying to make with the fight either - unless it's an actually self aware 'the coach fuckin sucks at his job' cuz even ippo has started to notice he doesn't seem to give genuine advice ever

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

"hello coach who has managed me through three world title belts already, im gettin my rear end kicked . what do i do?"
"you've known all along or whatever, good luck" *slaps him for some reason*

world class talent in the takamura corner for sure

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

tbp posted:

"hello coach who has managed me through three world title belts already, im gettin my rear end kicked . what do i do?"
"you've known all along or whatever, good luck" *slaps him for some reason*

world class talent in the takamura corner for sure

Takamura would probably have four or even five weight classes conquered already if he had a competent coach. :v:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Morikawa lucked out by finding Takamura and failed upwards as a result. Hell, Takamura is the only reason Ippo ended up in the gym.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

Morikawa lucked out by finding Takamura and failed upwards as a result. Hell, Takamura is the only reason Ippo ended up in the gym.

Kamogawa. Morikawa is the author.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I’m dyin here 😭

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 1345

So, Dragon's worst day was actually pretty bad yeah.

Also Kamogawa did give advice. Shame on you all for doubting!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Hypocrisy posted:

Chapter 1345

So, Dragon's worst day was actually pretty bad yeah.

Also Kamogawa did give advice. Shame on you all for doubting!

why is his advice always couched in loving riddles? this doesn't ever happen! coaches tell the athlete what to do!!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Chapter 1346, starting with a page explaining that now that Ippo is finally digitally the weekly scans will look way way better and save 6 hours of work per week

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

They're so happy that it's digital now.

6 hours per weeks, goddamn. They've always done fantastic work, so all that effort showed tbh.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I had no idea cleaning took that long. I always assumed redrawing, whatever was involved in it, would be the biggest time sink

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Jose posted:

I had no idea cleaning took that long. I always assumed redrawing, whatever was involved in it, would be the biggest time sink

The paper they use for the print version is such cheap paper that even in real life it's sometimes hard to make out some details because the literal paper fibers are so noticably big. It's seriously elementary school cheap and thin construction paper, and its hilarious to me that Morikawa's stubbornness was the only reason HnI was the sole manga in that anthology to not be digitally distributed until now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New one.
https://hni-scantrad.com/lel/read/hajime-no-ippo/en-us/132/1347/page/1

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
The fight ain't over until takamura pisses off the crowd in the post match interview

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

really just didn't like this fight overall. the build up felt phoned in, the fight itself had some cool moments but the pacing was kinda all over the place. i will say the artwork recently has been top notch however

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

For their weight class I can't imagine the fight going much longer than this with as many blows as they were trading. There's a reason decades of higher weight classes were dominated by long boring fights, and that's because once you start putting mass on you're risking a helluva lot by taking a punch.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm longing for the time when title getting fights were huge events. Like I get title defenses being washes but now even the challenges are becoming one sided beatdowns. I don't mind Takamura winning every fight, but make it exciting for god's sake!

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

you should know better than to depomp Takamura

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Yeah having Lucky Guy essentially turn into Glass Joe after one clean hit is ultimately disappointing, not unheard of in boxing, but for dramatic purposes is kinda weak.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Jiro posted:

Yeah having Lucky Guy essentially turn into Glass Joe after one clean hit is ultimately disappointing, not unheard of in boxing, but for dramatic purposes is kinda weak.

fwiw i dont really think the win feels undeserved, keith had taken a huge beating earlier in the match and the last punch was essentially a perfect counter to a haymaker. that poo poo should knock anyone out

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

This fight was ok in my opinion. Not bad, but didn't come anywhere close to the previous Takamura title wins.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jiro posted:

Dragon had gotten hit a lot over the match. He took far more then one clean hit.

Anyway Takamura may not be able to make it too much farther in the ranks, If Super Middle is his proper weight class, then he is going to start fighting guys that hit harder and are bigger then him.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Dragon had gotten hit a lot over the match. He took far more then one clean hit.

Anyway Takamura may not be able to make it too much farther in the ranks, If Super Middle is his proper weight class, then he is going to start fighting guys that hit harder and are bigger then him.

there is 0 chance he doesn't move up and at least challenge higher. i'd argue 0 chance he doesn't make it to heavyweight undefeated as well

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Takamura should never lose

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monaghan posted:

I'm longing for the time when title getting fights were huge events. Like I get title defenses being washes but now even the challenges are becoming one sided beatdowns. I don't mind Takamura winning every fight, but make it exciting for god's sake!

We got spoiled by the Hawk/Eagle/Bison fights. This wasn't a terrible fight or anything but in the context of Takamura's prior title matches it is easily the weakest.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

tbp posted:

fwiw i dont really think the win feels undeserved, keith had taken a huge beating earlier in the match and the last punch was essentially a perfect counter to a haymaker. that poo poo should knock anyone out

Yeah it was a few issues ago but Keith noted that he'd never throw out those huge lefts specifically because they left him wide open, and was only doing so because he thought Takamura couldn't deal with them. But I agreed that is a pretty weak strategy/conclusion to a World title bout.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
chapter 1348

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

why does miyata literally saying 'i have no more concerns about his eye' make me actualy think his eye is hosed

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm sure we'll find out 600 chapters from now

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: I'm thinking that Takamura might start talking to Ippo while riding on him and that this will somehow contribute to Ippo boxing again

MonsterEnvy posted:

Kamogawa. Morikawa is the author.

Well. Doesn't Morikawa have a boxing gym or something? So basically the same thing.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 22, 2021

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
chapter 1349

Yet more "but what if Ippo got back in the ring?" maybe one day...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Well it's not like anyone else has anything going on, maybe that will be the next big 'thing' in the plot.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Get in the ring, Ippo

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How many lavish 2-page spreads do you think George will do to document every second when Ippo finally triumphantly demolishes the line Takamura drug in the dirt that one time :allears:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

At least Ippo's dreamin of his girl, better than when he'd be dreamin about the dog or the ring or whatever.

Takamura's hog may have actually gotten bigger thanks to his third weight class conquering.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

How many lavish 2-page spreads do you think George will do to document every second when Ippo finally triumphantly demolishes the line Takamura drug in the dirt that one time :allears:

literally the most unrealistic thing in the manga is that the loving line has been there for like 18 months now

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Remember when ippo spent all his championship money on logs and pounded them into the side of the riverbank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Remember when ippo spent all his championship money on logs and pounded them into the side of the riverbank

Madness for a guy whose family relies on a fishing boat for their primary income.