Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The ban on the international slave trade was enforced about as well as 19th century navies could manage because it had bipartisan support: from Northern abolitionists (for obvious reasons) and from Southern slaveowning aristocrats to support the price of their existing investment in owning people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I do have a question -

I often hear "The Cruelty is the Point" without really knowing what it refers to. I understand what the sentence means and do not think fondly of America, but I feel like there is a commentary there I'm missing out on.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Captain Log posted:

I do have a question -

I often hear "The Cruelty is the Point" without really knowing what it refers to. I understand what the sentence means and do not think fondly of America, but I feel like there is a commentary there I'm missing out on.

It is used in references to policy that is needlessly cruel, policy that could achieve its stated objectives without being cruel on top of that. The explanation for the unneeded cruelty is that the cruelty is part of the point of the policy, the cruelty is an intentional but unstated goal of the policy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Captain Log posted:

I do have a question -

It may go back further but I believe it entered popular consciousness in 2018 with the publication of this article in The Atlantic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I find it most useful to apply to things like means testing, where it is usually euphemistically described along the lines of "people need to not be reliant on welfare" which is just a way to say "people need to suffer because I believe it is morally wrong for people to be helped"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
They said he knows what it means theyre just not sure if theres some say literary significance.

I feel like its older than 2018 though

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

RagnarokAngel posted:

They said he knows what it means theyre just not sure if theres some say literary significance.

I feel like its older than 2018 though

Serwer's article is the earliest thing I can find featuring the phrase (although the search results are clogged with stuff written about his book of the same name published this year so it's hard to tell) and it's where I recall seeing it first. If something pops up from before that I wouldn't be shocked though.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It may go back further but I believe it entered popular consciousness in 2018 with the publication of this article in The Atlantic.

This is specifically what I was thinking about. But I'd be interested if anyone can dig up any older references.

Certain phrases permeate left and right spaces, often calling up a very specific case usage or nuanced meaning. I felt like I was missing some context, which just got filled in. :derptiel:

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Help wanted: Half of Americans considering therapy before embracing post-pandemic life

quote:

Summer may be here, but not everyone is apparently embracing a return to normalcy. Seven in 10 Americans are “anxious” over the thought of returning to their pre-pandemic lives.
Conducted by OnePoll on behalf of Hims & Hers, the study revealed that more than half of respondents (54%) would like to speak to a mental health professional before returning to their pre-pandemic life.

quote:

To: CheshireTheCat
7 in 10 is the new 50%. HUH?

7 posted on 7/13/2021, 5:00:17 PM by rktman (Destroy America from within? Check! WTH? Enlisted USN 1967 to end up with this?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

quote:

Half of Americans are pathetic losers.
The cynical part of me wonders if people are just trying to build a file for a nice disability claim or to try to remain working from home.

1 posted on 7/13/2021, 4:54:19 PM by CheshireTheCat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

quote:

How about they just put a pistol in their mouths? After all, if we are all gonna die anyway why suffer? Encourage liberals to off themselves

8 posted on 7/13/2021, 5:00:38 PM by Fai Mao (I don't think we have enough telephone poles.)

Hey dick head, maybe the fortification of schools by our godawful police state has something to do with your precious Second Amendment and the proliferation of mass shootings due to the easy acquisition of high powered firearms?

quote:

"Half of Americans are pathetic losers."
I think it has to do with the growing government control and institutionalization of all Americans. Drive by any public school and if you look them critically the newer buildings are build like prisons with brutalist architecture, few windows, surrounded by fenceing, and with police cars parked in front.

We put our poor children into these mediocrity machines staffed with rabid leftists and then are surprised when the government cranks out idiotic slaves unable to read, write or do math, having zero leadership skills, and with heads stuffed full of leftist crap.

We have to fix this by for forcing states to get out of the education business and moving to parental choice and vouchers.

22 posted on 7/13/2021, 5:22:15 PM by wildcard_redneck ( COVID lockdowns are the Establishment's attack on the middle class and our Republic )

The pandemic hasn't been bad for me personally but even I think this guy is a massive douche for posting about just how well he did. Along with his height.

quote:

I just had the best year of my life.
I never cared about the silly "pandemic."

My company lets me work at home as much as I want but I'm one of the few that actually come into the office once or twice a week. The few who join me are among the best employees - the superstars of the company - and we hit it off very well. We get a kick out of doing ZOOM meetings with the other employees huddled at home all this time. Then we go out to lunch or take a walk through the mostly empty city streets.

I've saved a ton of money. Over $25,000 extra over the past 15 months that's just sitting in my saving account waiting for something to do. That's not including the normal amount I stick in my 401k. Speaking of that, the company gave me a 2% raise and I simply raised my 401k contribution by same amount. Now I'm maxing it out.

It's been nice taking hikes in the woods, going places on the weekends and going to my favorite restaurants with no crowds whatsoever.

Everybody else is huddling at home or wearing their silly masks. I stick a mask in my pocket and only wear it when it's absolutely required by the establishment. Before the mask mandates were mostly lifted, I got a kick out of going into supermarkets and liquor stores without them, daring people to call me out on it. I would have happily left the premises without making a scene and fantasized about leaving a full grocery cart of merchandise in the middle of the store on the way out. But alas, I was never challenged (I'm 6' 4") but got some nasty stares from the Karen types.

Things are getting a little more back to normal now but I still get amused by all those who are all scared by a little virus.

25 posted on 7/13/2021, 5:34:50 PM by SamAdams76 (Give me a Pigfoot and a Bottle of Beer)

:godwinning: out of nowhere.

quote:

1. If Hitler were Black we would all be speaking German.

2. If WWII occurred in this day and age The Man In the High Castle would be a Documentary, not a Fictional TV Drama.

32 posted on 7/13/2021, 6:04:57 PM by Kickass Conservative (Trump - Make America Great Again / Biden - Make American Grovel Again...)

quote:

Here’s their first session, for free: Grow up!

38 posted on 7/13/2021, 6:37:24 PM by TigersEye (Who shot Ashli Babbitt?)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
If there is one thing the pandemic has utterly reinforced to me, a guy who became physically disabled in the past three years, is that about half of this country thinks I'm scum barely deserving to live. Or that I should have to set up GoFund Me accounts for my monthly required medical care that somehow costs six times more here than anywhere else in the world.

But on the optimistic side, it has also taught me that for every dickhead out there, a genuinely good person seems to balance out the other side. I know some wonderful people who would be saints in a just world.

But the sad thing? The Freep types have learned to cow a government while being a minority.

God, I need to marry a Canadian.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

kik2dagroin posted:

Freep posted:

1. If Hitler were Black we would all be speaking German.

Hm?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Freep: I'm 6'4"

also imagine being able to get disability in the US for mental illness lol

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm 6'8". My favorite thing to do during the pandemic was to bully people who would deliberately flout mask requirements. I'd have happily bullied this guy.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Freep: I'm 6'4"

also imagine being able to get disability in the US for mental illness lol

My father does, worth a try!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Because the libs would have let him walk all over them, you see.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

OwlFancier posted:

I find it most useful to apply to things like means testing, where it is usually euphemistically described along the lines of "people need to not be reliant on welfare" which is just a way to say "people need to suffer because I believe it is morally wrong for people to be helped"

It also describes the insistence on very, uh, dramatic, methods of capital punishment.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm 6'8". My favorite thing to do during the pandemic was to bully people who would deliberately flout mask requirements. I'd have happily bullied this guy.

Fetterman, is that you?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

OAquinas posted:

Fetterman, is that you?

Nah, I'm prettier than that man.

I like bullying people like that because they're so used to being the big fish that they can't imagine there being a bigger fish. Like I'm big, but I met a guy with my build who dwarfed me by a good seven inches, had a huge beard, looked like a comic book viking but for real.

You walk around being a jackhole long enough you're going to run into a bigger human who thinks you're worth his time teaching a lesson to.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm Smol Ben sized and you will take that back or I will find you and fight you

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm Smol Ben sized and you will take that back or I will find you and fight you

Fetterman can talk the talk, if he gets in and walks the walk then I'll take it back.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I fully support a six foot eight person out there fighting the good fight through intimidation of absolute assholes.

I'm five foot eleven, which puts me solidly in the category of too tall to get messed with, yet to short to not get messed with. It's a conundrum, but giving zero fucks helps.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

6’9” is nice

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Total derail, but I cannot imagine how inconvenient being taller than myself would be.

I wear size thirteen shoes. Nowhere has them. I were XXL gloves and a size eight hat, which nobody has. Hotel beds are always too short, requiring me to sleep diagonally. Ditto on hospital beds too. Travel is always loving cramped, along with any car not a mid-size SUV or truck.

How in God's name do you bigger folks cope?!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
We just develop a deep simmering disdain for the fact that the world isn't built for us.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
*smirks in Ben*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Being taller than yourself certainly poses both practical and logical challenges.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Biden Admin Calls for UN to Investigate ‘Racism’ on US Soil
Wastes no time in going for "Liberals are the REAL racists!"

quote:

To: RandFan
Any company or school using DEI & CRT is racist. They can start there.

2 posted on 7/14/2021, 6:34:49 PM by Roman_War_Criminal (Jesus + Something = Nothing ; Jesus + Nothing = Everything )

quote:

What a freakin’ wacko. Look no further than the Democrap party Blinken, you’ll find all the racism you want right there asswipe.

6 posted on 7/14/2021, 6:38:01 PM by GrandJediMasterYoda (As long as Hillary Clinton remains free equal justice under the law will never exist in the USA)

quote:

To: rdcbn1
He was clearly coached to say that.
Funny how foreigners complain about America being “racist” but they all want to come here.

The WASP work-ethic and culture is 2nd to none
by miles and they have a nasty hatred for it’s success.

28 posted on 7/14/2021, 6:52:19 PM by Roman_War_Criminal (Jesus + Something = Nothing ; Jesus + Nothing = Everything )
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]
"Work until you literally die" is boring as gently caress and these fossils think its the best thing ever.

Prove that it isn't

quote:

I have no doubt that capitalism will ge identified as racist.

9 posted on 7/14/2021, 6:38:18 PM by Clean_Sweep

quote:

To: econjack
This reminds me of a job I use to have in the 1990s working for a food company where we had a boss who was constantly accusing the employees of stealing. Until one day one of the security guards caught him pulling a truck out and followed him in his car. Not only was our boss stealing product, he also if you can believe it rented out his own warehouse to store all the stuff he was stealing. What democrats are doing is exactly the same, they are projecting and they are so obvious about it. The only racism we hear about today comes 100% from them

20 posted on 7/14/2021, 6:45:26 PM by GrandJediMasterYoda (As long as Hillary Clinton remains free equal justice under the law will never exist in the USA)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

quote:

E Pluribus Unum... I dont see that on any other nation’s currency! Talk about the pots and kettles!

Well, if Biden can call in the UN, he can call in the CCP military as well.

Who will stop him?

Our own military???

12 posted on 7/14/2021, 6:40:19 PM by Safrguns

World Wear I

quote:

They are treating us like a subject population under occupation after a world wear.

32 posted on 7/14/2021, 7:02:14 PM by Salman (It's not a "slippery slope" if it was part of the program all along. )

quote:

A subtle reminder to el presidente biden.
This country has liberated more people, shed more blood and spent more money to advance the cause of freedom; at times against the best interests of this country.

Biden is a traitor.

33 posted on 7/14/2021, 7:02:15 PM by ealgeone

quote:

Isn’t it odd that we started to hear about Antifa, BLM, and White Supremacy within weeks of the polls showing that Trump would win re-election.

35 posted on 7/14/2021, 7:05:36 PM by econjack

quote:

Time to buy more ammo. There be lots of blue helmets to tqrget.

44 posted on 7/14/2021, 7:32:56 PM by DownInFlames (G)

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Being taller than yourself certainly poses both practical and logical challenges.

:hmmyes:

ETA:

kik2dagroin posted:

Time to buy more ammo. There be lots of blue helmets to tqrget.

44 posted on 7/14/2021, 7:32:56 PM by DownInFlames (G)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

:stonklol:

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 15, 2021

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BlackIronHeart posted:

We just develop a deep simmering disdain for the fact that the world isn't built for us.

Tallfreep

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Zeroisanumber posted:

I like bullying people like that because they're so used to being the big fish that they can't imagine there being a bigger fish. Like I'm big, but I met a guy with my build who dwarfed me by a good seven inches, had a huge beard, looked like a comic book viking but for real.

You walk around being a jackhole long enough you're going to run into a bigger human who thinks you're worth his time teaching a lesson to.

This is how I justify my gay male gaze on clearly straight guys (the first part)

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Captain Log posted:

Total derail, but I cannot imagine how inconvenient being taller than myself would be.

I wear size thirteen shoes. Nowhere has them. I were XXL gloves and a size eight hat, which nobody has. Hotel beds are always too short, requiring me to sleep diagonally. Ditto on hospital beds too. Travel is always loving cramped, along with any car not a mid-size SUV or truck.

Double postin because gently caress it, this post is quite confusing to me. I’m your height, maybe slightly taller, and I feel like this (American) world is designed for men around our height. Certainly not for my 6’5 husband, nor for Frank Lloyd Wright’s “anyone above 5’8 is a waste of oxygen” chosen, shorter class.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Pontius Pilate posted:

Double postin because gently caress it, this post is quite confusing to me. I’m your height, maybe slightly taller, and I feel like this (American) world is designed for men around our height. Certainly not for my 6’5 husband, nor for Frank Lloyd Wright’s “anyone above 5’8 is a waste of oxygen” chosen, shorter class.

I spent a poo poo ton of time on the road, stuck in crap LaQuintas and Southwest flights. Also a depressing amount of time in hospitals.

Everything was always too small, which always made me marvel at how maddening it must be to be genuinely tall. But I could be full of poo poo, wouldn't be the first time.

I also have grey alien sized hands, feet, and head. If you painted me grey, I'd startle Conspiracy-Freep-ists.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Serwer's article is the earliest thing I can find featuring the phrase (although the search results are clogged with stuff written about his book of the same name published this year so it's hard to tell) and it's where I recall seeing it first. If something pops up from before that I wouldn't be shocked though.

I can remember reading it being used long before that back when abortion was america's main issue

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

kik2dagroin posted:

Here’s their first session, for free: Grow up!

38 posted on 7/13/2021, 6:37:24 PM by TigersEye (Who shot Ashli Babbitt?)

I can't help but picture this rear end in a top hat standing over graves of covid deaths shouting down at the marker.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

You cope. The world is meant for smaller people and when you grow up in that world you get used to it. Being able to order clothes off the internet helps.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Zeroisanumber posted:

Being able to order clothes off the internet helps.

I remember in the late 90s/early 2000s i figured out that I didn’t have to go to a store with little more than a prayer that they’d have my size in stock but could order clothes on the internet! It was liberating

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Captain Log posted:

I wear size thirteen shoes. Nowhere has them.

Everywhere has them, 13 is the largest size most mens shoes are made in. 14 sometimes. Everything beyond is extended sizes.
And I cope with my clown feet by making sneakers my thing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Me goin to the freep thread goonmeet like

kik2dagroin posted:

"Work until you literally die" is boring as gently caress and these fossils think its the best thing ever.

-posted from my social-security-funded iphone, ps i shouldn't have ever had to pay taxes

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 15, 2021

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I think I encountered a Freeper in the wild yesterday. I work in a hotel and this old fart comes storming up to the desk wearing an old Marine garrison cap, a t-shirt reading "HERE'S MY GUN PERMIT: THE 2ND AMENDMENT!!!", a tragic pair of old man shorts, and open-carrying a ludicrous Deagle-sized handgun. "I PAID FOR TWO NIGHTS AND YOU PEOPLE KICK ME OUT, THIS IS THE BIGGEST SCAM GOING". "uh, no one is kicking you out, the keys either expired or demagnetized. Here." He then takes those keys, turns around, and stomps off shouting "I DON'T KNOW WHAT ANY OF THAT MEANS" before angrily coming back to check out 10 minutes later.

Thanks to this thread brain-poisoning me over the years all I could think was "holy poo poo this must be what dalereed was like IRL"

I also work in a hotel and I always get old men coming down and screaming at me when their keys demagnetize. They act like I did it to them on purpose. It's such an easy thing to fix but they get so angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Aeolusdallas posted:

I also work in a hotel and I always get old men coming down and screaming at me when their keys demagnetize. They act like I did it to them on purpose. It's such an easy thing to fix but they get so angry.

I think it’s a reflection of their bullshit attitude about personal responsibility. Like if you grow up in a terrible gang neighborhood with an underfunded school and your dad went to prison for DWB it’s your personal responsibility to lift yourself by your bootstraps and become a coder or whatever. The key can’t have just demagnetized because it’s a key, instead someone personally did it.