Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

*1st guy comes into frame: Is that a mullet? Nope it's just a backwards baseball cap. Darn.

*2nd guy comes into frame: Aww yiss here we go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

The dead walk!

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://twitter.com/fighterpics/status/1415163679302094854

boss, they didn't send us enough wheels

ah I'm sure it'll be fine.

If I'm not mistaken, the reason there's a car chasing these aircraft as they land is that the aircraft is built in such a way that the pilot has to stall it just above the ground. The person in the car will let the pilot know when he's about 2 feet above the ground, then the pilot stalls the plane. If he's too high he'll destroy his landing gear.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, at sea level in level flight the stall speed is about 70mph, so it's easy for a car to keep up with it, and the ground effect is so strong it can't be maneuvered down onto the runway any other way.

When it takes off the wings are supported by temporary wheels that fall off once it's airborne.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/GDOTEastTraffic/status/1415628773488222211

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

bridgefuckled?

powerful

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Somebody's insurance carrier is about to have a bad day

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Trucks finally scoring a win in their longstanding conflict with bridges.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Trucks finally scoring a win in their longstanding conflict with bridges.

Pyrrhic victory at best. That truck got fuckled.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How do you even start to fix something like that? I assume you can't just push it back into place and walk away, are they going to have to build a whole new bridge deck and keep it closed until that happens?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Toonces saw Mittens take down that condo and wanted in on the action.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

haveblue posted:

How do you even start to fix something like that? I assume you can't just push it back into place and walk away, are they going to have to build a whole new bridge deck and keep it closed until that happens?

They post later in the thread about this--demo and replace.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

How do you even start to fix something like that? I assume you can't just push it back into place and walk away

sounds like a challenge!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

haveblue posted:

I guess that's the point of the engineering assessment. They may be able to install a pre-fab temporary bridge while they repair/replace the original.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

other people posted:

just an idea but they should put something like wheels or skis under it

Generally speaking, if the solution is really simple but no one is using it, that means someone already tried it and it doesn't work.

It kinda sucks but you just have to repair the plane each time it lands

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

haveblue posted:

another truck of the same size/mass driving at the same speed in the other direction

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Mr. Nice! posted:

Retail warehouse work was great. All of the hazards of real warehouse work but none of the built in safety first mentality because you're just a funnel to get consumer products from trucks onto the floor.

lol I worked backroom at Target for a year or so and one of my co-workers had just got done working in a dry-dock where they were sandblasting paint and doing other renovations on old ships. We were like the odd couple because I didn't give a poo poo about anything in that warehouse, I guess the cardboard baler could kill you but it was pretty slow, you were probably more likely to get popped by a cable tie doing that one. But he would freak out every time I was loving around on pallet jacks or the WAVE. I don't know what the proper term for this class of vehicle is but they're basically Power Wheels forklifts that can lift you up and have a small platform to put things on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j6tokkIibk

Anyway he would tell me some story like the time some guy fell off a boat and smacked his head on the concrete and died and everyone just had to go back to work after they cleaned it up. And I would just listen to his insane stories and laugh because we worked at loving Target.

I guess it would have been funny if I died at Target though.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Scholtz posted:

another truck of the same size/mass driving at the same speed in the other direction

with some wd40 they can get away with a lower mass and/or speed.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Deteriorata posted:

I guess that's the point of the engineering assessment. They may be able to install a pre-fab temporary bridge while they repair/replace the original.

From looking at the surrounding land uses, I suspect they will just tear down the bridge enough to make it safe for the interstate, and just leave the GA86 crossing closed while they replace the bridge. It's mostly farmland, and there are alternate routes you can take. It's gonna suck for folks who leave really close, but oh well.

Replacement will probably either be conventional design-bid-build with an accelerated schedule, or design-build with a truly insane (for government contracts) schedule, like 3 months, depending on what lead times for the bridge steel is these days. You can pretty much keep the interstate open while you reconstruct the approaches, and only need overnight 15-min closures to set the big beams that span the whole interstate. Then all the work is just done from above, with protective stuff around it so you don't drop a wrench onto cars below.

They might also take this opportunity to consider raising the bridge's under-clearance, either by raising the surface of the crossing roadway (can require a lot of roadway reconstruction), or using a different design for the superstructure to minimize the depth (can be expensive, if even feasible).

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/dzHLaoU.gifv

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

six FEET!?!

Scholtz posted:

:hmmyes:

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Does the U2 just have to fall over onto a wingtip when it comes to a stop or does someone run up and put a unicycle under it at the last second

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

bridges are one of those things that sometimes aren't bolted down and are instead expected to just stay in position by sheer mass and the weight of gravity pulling down on it aren't they?

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Can’t they just land it on a treadmill?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

Does the U2 just have to fall over onto a wingtip when it comes to a stop or does someone run up and put a unicycle under it at the last second

It just falls over. It has a titanium skid plate on each wingtip.

The pilot is supposed to keep it balanced as long as possible, though.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Ror posted:

I don't know what the proper term for this class of vehicle is but they're basically Power Wheels forklifts that can lift you up and have a small platform to put things on.

I think they're generally called "stock pickers."

We used to have WAVEs at our warehouse: what absolute pieces of poo poo, broke if you looked at them funny. Thankfully I generally learned how to fix them with a well-aimed kick or dropkick, percussive maintenance is real.

The 10MSP from JLG is a lot better but of course the morons at corporate didn't spring for the most important feature of all: letting the "basket" be lowered and raised by servos, which would do a loving lot to make heavy lifting on and off it more tolerable. Absolute moron jackass fuckos. It's practically free compared to how much faster it would make work and how many injuries it would prevent.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

KoRMaK posted:

bridges are one of those things that sometimes aren't bolted down and are instead expected to just stay in position by sheer mass and the weight of gravity pulling down on it aren't they?

Typically one end is fixed, and the other end has a bearing that allows for expansion/contraction so that hot days don't make the bridge buckle, and other structural reasons

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Bridges usually have a pin joint at one end of a section and a flat plate or dish on the other side to mount the road surface platen on. Sometimes the mounts are even dampened.

Gotta make sure the road isn't over-constrained. Concrete doesn't like bending moments.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

How loving fast do you have to be going to move a bridge span 6 ft?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Fast enough

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

idiot driver, the white/green striped area is paratrooper ram zone, everyone knows that

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Yuri! I said brake!

Da, I break it.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Somewhere in Belgium.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

for want of a culvert, the railway was lost

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
wonderful new infrastructure, a busy junction point between the railway and the waterway

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Monkey Fracas posted:

bridgefuckled?

powerful

I look forward to even more wondrous future fuckles.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Thomamelas posted:

How loving fast do you have to be going to move a bridge span 6 ft?

It’s less the speed and more how heavy the truck is and how strongly built it is. Because of expansion the span of that bridge isn’t “fixed” on the supports, the beams rest freely on some roller bearing elements at one or both ends and there’s an overhang so the carriage is smooth. This means that free floating top section is heavy as gently caress because it’s 4-8 enormous gently caress off I sections with reinforcement between them. So normally in that situation the bridge is so much more heavy and strongly built the truck frame yields long before the bridge can overcome the friction on its ends and move.

My honest guess is that the truck that hit this was a steel coil truck. Those things are built like tanks because in an accident they would otherwise eject several tons of high speed, rolling steel coils into traffic. This also means they carry a shitload of steel at a time which is heavy. That’s a good combination for the truck frame to be robust enough to survive the bridge impact without tearing off, and being loaded with 25 tons of steel likely gives it enough moment to give the bridge a run for its money.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Real Amethyst posted:

Somewhere in Belgium.

And in Germany, cars are seen here trying to escape to higher ground:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Spatial posted:

for want of a culvert, the railway was lost

I think that used to just be an embankment with a stream flowing beside it. The historic rains and flash flooding meant that the stream overtopped the embankment, eroded it, then went off to discover new and exciting ways to flow downhill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Drone_Fragger posted:

My honest guess is that the truck that hit this was a steel coil truck. Those things are built like tanks because in an accident they would otherwise eject several tons of high speed, rolling steel coils into traffic. This also means they carry a shitload of steel at a time which is heavy. That’s a good combination for the truck frame to be robust enough to survive the bridge impact without tearing off, and being loaded with 25 tons of steel likely gives it enough moment to give the bridge a run for its money.

In tweet image #1 the truck appears to have been carrying bigass industrial tires (open them in a new tab and you can zoom in further than twitter lets you)