Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Islamic Shock posted:

I actually haven't, on it. Something that would make Bill Hicks be grateful that he died of pancreatic cancer levels of torture please.

GorfZaplen posted:

Jesus Christ.

:popcorn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

Jesus Christ.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Good recommendations, see you lot in eight hours!
Spoilers: my name on mal is SuperGayHaremMC and I review harems on one criterion alone: how oblivious the MC is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spoilers: my name on mal is SuperGayHaremMC and I review harems on one criterion alone: how oblivious the MC is.
mods, namechange this guy to SuperGayHaremMC. gotta keep his brand consistent

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Endorph posted:

mods, namechange this guy to SuperGayHaremMC. gotta keep his brand consistent
Yes, do this.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

harems are based

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My life as a villainess. Bakarina be dumb af

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
I'm an old that's incredibly out of the loop with anime. I got completely burnt out on it about 20 years ago and pretty much abandoned the whole genre. Haven't seen anything new since, and I'm still not particularly keen on getting back into anything that's got the regular cookie cutter anime stylings going on, but I wouldn't be against checking out something that's a bit different, visually unique and a bit more adult / less kiddie than your regular anime fare.

Last show I remember really liking was Oruchuban Ebichu, which I thought was refreshingly different and weird and hilarious; I'd love to find out if anything in a similar vein has come out in the past, I dunno, decade...

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

poronty posted:

I'm an old that's incredibly out of the loop with anime. I got completely burnt out on it about 20 years ago and pretty much abandoned the whole genre. Haven't seen anything new since, and I'm still not particularly keen on getting back into anything that's got the regular cookie cutter anime stylings going on, but I wouldn't be against checking out something that's a bit different, visually unique and a bit more adult / less kiddie than your regular anime fare.

Last show I remember really liking was Oruchuban Ebichu, which I thought was refreshingly different and weird and hilarious; I'd love to find out if anything in a similar vein has come out in the past, I dunno, decade...

Hit up stuff that Masaaki Yuasa has directed. Tatami Galaxy might be a perfect fit for what you're asking for.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

poronty posted:

You might be interested in Odd Taxi.

A walrus drives a taxi and gets caught up in a conspiracy eventually involving the Yakuza, an idol group, a wannabe social media superstar, and a comedy duo called the Homosapiens.

Very distinct, clever plot, just finished.

Maybe Tatami Galaxy for something a bit older. A college student groundhog days his education in hopes of finding the perfect rosy college experience. Fast paced dialog, unique art style. Masaaki Yuasa's gotten to be something of a name, and with a show like that one, you can see why.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

poronty posted:

Consider Mob Psycho 100 IMO

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

poronty posted:

drat you have a lot of great anime ahead of you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

poronty posted:

Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt is a similar kind of sex comedy and has a unique artstyle. Detroit Metal City also, maybe? Nerdy guy accidentally gets recruited into a death metal band, lots of jokes about how hosed up their lyrics are, generally weirdness/double act type stuff, that sort of thing.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Osomatsu-san season 1. Don't bother with the other ones they aren't as good

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GorfZaplen posted:

Osomatsu-san season 1. Don't bother with the other ones they aren't as good

Osomatsu requires quite a bit of meta-knowledge to be funny. Especially the opening bits regarding the show's predecessor.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

"there was a 60's series with these guys as kids, which was very different"

done.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Osomatsu requires quite a bit of meta-knowledge to be funny. Especially the opening bits regarding the show's predecessor.

Nobody on this forum has watched the original

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Not at all. I had a roommate who doesn’t watch anime at all enjoy it immensely.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
no meta knowledge can make the later seasons funny

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
Thanks for the awesome recs, I'll check them out! Already started watching Odd taxi, looks fun.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

More dark emotional poo poo like Domestic Girlfriend and Scum's Wish please.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

KillHour posted:

Fruits Basket

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KillHour posted:

nana? takes a couple arcs to fully get there but its a good series

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

Fruits Basket

I watched the first couple episodes of this and it seemed more like a lighthearted harem comedy. No?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pretty much everyone involved has traumatic child abuse in their pasts

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Fruits Basket touches on a lot of trauma and abuse and how people can try their best at overcoming them (whether from within or from the outside as a helping hand).

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Devilman Crybaby
Beastars
Natsu e no Tobira

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

School Days

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Yosuga no Sora. Bqsically all of the mid 00s vn adaptations

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Beastars was good and appropriately hosed up. I forgot about that one.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if manga are ok, Ryou Minenami has some good ones. Himegoto Juukyuusai no Seifuku and the currently ongoing Boy's Abyss

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

dogsicle posted:

if manga are ok, Ryou Minenami has some good ones. Himegoto Juukyuusai no Seifuku and the currently ongoing Boy's Abyss

I've been doing manga exclusively in Japanese to practice and my reading level is... bad. I'll keep those in mind for later though.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

KillHour posted:

The movie Garden of Words is jaw-droppingly beautiful and fits your request I think. Also Anohana.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What's a good Manga reader, can't use mangadex right now until I get a vpn, and I think readm is ducking up my phone since it crashes my phone whenever I click a link on that particular site

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

nana? takes a couple arcs to fully get there but its a good series

Nana is v. good. But skip the last episode and just read the manga from where the previous episode leaves off.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

poronty posted:

I think you might find Nichijou a fun time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

What's a good Manga reader, can't use mangadex right now until I get a vpn, and I think readm is ducking up my phone since it crashes my phone whenever I click a link on that particular site

This one has been sufficient imo but I don't love it. Ads are worse than mangadex but better than kissmanga was.

https://manganato.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Tachiyomi can search multiple different reader sites simultaneously, and the reader interface itself is great.