Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ilitarist posted:

Open world map presentation is tricky. Take Skyrim, it's probably smaller than Origins, but it cleverly uses terrain to make sure you very rarely see more than one important landmark or cities at the same time.

until you run into a giant and they launch you thousands of feet into the air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

man nurse posted:

So I decided to revisit Origins for the first time since I finished it on its release and uh, I may have done an oops. As soon as I got out of Siwa I just started going ham on clearing out locations, which would level me up enough to explore even more, and now I’m almost level 30 with maxed out gear upgrades and I haven’t even met Aya in Alexandria yet, the suggested level for which is 10.

Talk about brain worms.

I have to admire how open ended the game lets itself be as the progenitor of “open world rpg” style asscreed. Want to ignore the story and just clear forts and gather loot and complete sidequests ad nasuem until you’re hilariously overpowered? Well, you can do that.

Update: I’ve decided to run with this and see if I can complete every side quest and map icon before I even bother finding Aya in Alexandria. I’ve come this far, so I may as well continue faffing about and ignoring the main story until I have nothing else left. The idea that I could achieve that amuses me.

I see the two DLC expansions are on sale (but not the season pass itself for whatever reason). Are either one of them worthwhile if I decide I want more maps to clear icons off of?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

man nurse posted:

I see the two DLC expansions are on sale (but not the season pass itself for whatever reason). Are either one of them worthwhile if I decide I want more maps to clear icons off of?

Both have more maps (Curse of the Pharoahs has 5 maps with icons in fact) but you need to be high level to start them.

Hidden Ones is okay, though the environment is a bit dull and the story is more Assassin / Templar setup stuff.

Curse of the Pharoahs is a bit better / bigger, has more Egyptian mythology, and some fairly memorable areas.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
In regards to the world both DLCs are more of the same. Locations and side quests are not their selling points.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ive played every game in this series and consider myself a "fan" of it, more or less, but ive never bought a single DLC for any of these games. (except Brotherhood, which is a stand-alone game but it kind of felt like a dlc)

none of them really appeal to me and on top of that i cant think of a single one where the playerbase is going "wow this dlc is awesome!" as we hear from players of e.g. the witcher 3's dlc's so it doesn't really seem like there's anything i've missed

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Ubi's not great at DLC. Almost always feels like it's B-team work, with lower standards even for quality control.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

The only DLC I would ever recommend for any of those games is Odyssey's Fate of Atlantis or whatever it's called. The story is inaane in a bad way, gameplay additions are hit and miss, but it adds 3 huge beautiful areas. Every other DLC in the series added more of the same, but with a boring unnecessary side story. Origins DLCs are just boring, but, say, Syndicate is mostly bad and nonsensical.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I mean I thought the Ireland DLC was fine if you wanted more of the same. Far from essential though, and I also think that the games themselves are so large and dense that people aren’t exactly clamoring to add even more to them.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

man nurse posted:

I mean I thought the Ireland DLC was fine if you wanted more of the same. Far from essential though, and I also think that the games themselves are so large and dense that people aren’t exactly clamoring to add even more to them.

That's the biggest issue for me. Even finishing one of these games is a monumental task (and an outright chore if you have even remotely completionist tendencies), so DLC on top of that is like being offered an extra helping of food after absolutely stuffing your face.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Earwicker posted:

ive played every game in this series and consider myself a "fan" of it, more or less, but ive never bought a single DLC for any of these games. (except Brotherhood, which is a stand-alone game but it kind of felt like a dlc)

none of them really appeal to me and on top of that i cant think of a single one where the playerbase is going "wow this dlc is awesome!" as we hear from players of e.g. the witcher 3's dlc's so it doesn't really seem like there's anything i've missed

I liked AC4's Freedom Cry. Very satisfying to kill slavers and Adewale is cool and strong.

I've done the Ireland DLC for Valhalla and it was fine but nothing special. I hit around 50 hours in Valhalla and am taking a break for a bit, burnout is real but I will get back and play more sometime.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Freedom Cry's OST is also fantastic.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I quite liked Syndicate's Ripper DLC. Felt like an actual response / follow-up to the main game rather than just an additional set of sidequests.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I actually finished the story proper (the Sigurd storyline) and despite knowing what happens the sheer shittiness of it doesn't diminish. This is such a "wouldn't it be cool", "lots of speculation from everyone" garbage ending from a writer that knew he'd be leaving the company. The 11th hour heel turn of Basim followed by playing as him as he gloats in front of the protagonist's, the person you've been experiencing the entire game with, grave about how they're going to steal everything from them are all fine ways to end a story that don't make people feel like shmucks for even caring about anything. No sir. I'm sure we'll find out the wholly unclimatic and unsatisfying ending to this story beat in 12 or so years in a comic no one will read. Layla was a whole nothing of a character but how utterly disposable these modern day protagonists have been is a reason who no one gives a poo poo about that aspect of the story.

It's gonna be real funny when the Desmond construct and her come to the realization that to advert the ten trillion apparent calamities of the world will face is for Ubisoft to stop writing the dead-end modern day story and animus nonsense. I think the only way I'd start caring about the modern day stuff is if we follow someone who kills every Isu they come across and annihilate all their artifacts. We need an Edward Kenway for the modern era - someone who doesn't give a poo poo about the ancient race and their secrets and wants to murder them and the Templars.

That said, aside from my Basim gripes, I liked the overall story with Sigurd and Eivor. Like the story for the Wrath DLC too. I hope the Paris DLC's story is as decent and offers a little more mechanically. Overall: D- / See me after class is what I'd grade the conclusion to this game. I rather have an ending where the Desmond of the week says "what the gently caress" as it fades to black. At least the preceding scene was kinda neat and the stuff after it doesn't make you feel like you've just wasted your time.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Ive enjoyed the game for the most part but the entire sequence from when I completed the last pledge has been so utterly loving tedious gameplay wise.

If they even think about making me slowwalk back down that hill I’m done

E:worse, some garbage unskippable modern day sequence

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 14, 2021

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Finally finished the campaign and all the order. The inexplicable villain twist, combined with the villain then rubbing the player’s nose in it in order to maintain their ludicrous meta story was ridiculous. All I wanted to do was Viking.

That they intentionally broke my connection to “I’m living the life of the Viking Eivor” after 60 plus hours to basically being secret surveillance was pretty gross.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Jimbot posted:

I actually finished the story proper (the Sigurd storyline) and despite knowing what happens the sheer shittiness of it doesn't diminish. This is such a "wouldn't it be cool", "lots of speculation from everyone" garbage ending from a writer that knew he'd be leaving the company. The 11th hour heel turn of Basim followed by playing as him as he gloats in front of the protagonist's, the person you've been experiencing the entire game with, grave about how they're going to steal everything from them are all fine ways to end a story that don't make people feel like shmucks for even caring about anything. No sir. I'm sure we'll find out the wholly unclimatic and unsatisfying ending to this story beat in 12 or so years in a comic no one will read. Layla was a whole nothing of a character but how utterly disposable these modern day protagonists have been is a reason who no one gives a poo poo about that aspect of the story.

It's gonna be real funny when the Desmond construct and her come to the realization that to advert the ten trillion apparent calamities of the world will face is for Ubisoft to stop writing the dead-end modern day story and animus nonsense. I think the only way I'd start caring about the modern day stuff is if we follow someone who kills every Isu they come across and annihilate all their artifacts. We need an Edward Kenway for the modern era - someone who doesn't give a poo poo about the ancient race and their secrets and wants to murder them and the Templars.

That said, aside from my Basim gripes, I liked the overall story with Sigurd and Eivor. Like the story for the Wrath DLC too. I hope the Paris DLC's story is as decent and offers a little more mechanically. Overall: D- / See me after class is what I'd grade the conclusion to this game. I rather have an ending where the Desmond of the week says "what the gently caress" as it fades to black. At least the preceding scene was kinda neat and the stuff after it doesn't make you feel like you've just wasted your time.

:goonsay:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The pacify England quest doesn’t even see you defeating Aelfred :psyboom: what the gently caress is the ending of this game

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Campbell posted:

That they intentionally broke my connection to “I’m living the life of the Viking Eivor” after 60 plus hours to basically being secret surveillance was pretty gross.

This is kind of a conceit of the entire series, though? Or at least the series since Black Flag, where you're always some random person spying on dead assassins for whatever reason.

Which obviously you can dislike because no one likes the modern story but "guy spying on viking for possibly sinister reasons" vs. "girl spying on viking for vaguely positive reasons" is still you being two degrees removed from 'being' Eivor. Video games!

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 15, 2021

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Before Origins the whole historical character arcs were doomed to be unsatisfying. With genetic memory, it meant that the last memory you'd get is them getting ready to conceive some babies.

Now we get unsatisfying endings because devs aren't sure if they'll have to make additional DLCs or sell some important comic later on.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's something extra lame about the perspective changing from a neutral observer to a villain character at the very end, and a really boring one at that. It makes the preceding 100 hours feel kind of pointless and not all that worth revisiting knowing it's wolfshirt guy in the machine.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Solemn Sloth posted:

The pacify England quest doesn’t even see you defeating Aelfred :psyboom: what the gently caress is the ending of this game

It had the same “oh the cult lost its way” ending of odyssey but they made it somehow even dumber

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Because this is the guy history records as Alfred the Great.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

More like Alfred the Ho-hum!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

I guess they wrote themselves into the same corner they did with AC2, where the big bad guy doesn't die just yet in real history so you can't kill him in the game

(i still feel like they could have had you poison borgia at the end of AC2 but whatever, it would be hard to heighten the game any further after that ending)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Alchenar posted:

Because this is the guy history records as Alfred the Great.

Who cares it’s a video game

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Jimbot posted:

More like Alfred the Ho-hum!

Alfred the Average

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Assassin's Creed: Weimar, in which players kill Hitler and nothing else about history changes. Idk, I think they're doing the right thing by not dramatically changing history just to give you big bads to kill.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The only thing super jarring about Aelfred's part is I killed every zealot before the final siege so the quest where you stop his army and finding him leading a humble life in exile was about one in-game day

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

KirbyKhan posted:

Alfred the Average

Vasili the Adequate

ilitarist posted:

Before Origins the whole historical character arcs were doomed to be unsatisfying. With genetic memory, it meant that the last memory you'd get is them getting ready to conceive some babies.

Character arcs can be satisfying without the guy dying at the end.

Revolution provided a satisfying ending to both Ezio and Altair. Connor got an unsatisfying ending but that's the point, he was denied the end of the hero's journey as a clever subversion of video games tropes.
Edward I'll kind of grant you.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Gonna be amazing when they get a writer who understands the whole metaplot is nonsense and instead of doing nothing and/or creepy bad poo poo with it they'll go ham. Like in the animus you kill the historical figure who is the villain of the story, your character will emerge from the pod and go "so, how about Christopher Columbus surviving the hidden blade to the gullet and going off to do some genocide" and your friend will turn to you and say "what are you talking about? there was no colonizer named Christopher Columbus and the indigenous peoples of the time banded together and forced the Europeans to adopt and co-exist with them."

And you look outside and the American flag is no where to be found.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Sinteres posted:

Assassin's Creed: Weimar, in which players kill Hitler and nothing else about history changes. Idk, I think they're doing the right thing by not dramatically changing history just to give you big bads to kill.

If they want to protect the sanctity of history then don’t frame a guy you can’t have a meaningful impact on as the big antagonist of the previous 60 hours

E:

apparently he winds up exiled? Which I managed to miss from the hamctunshire arc completely, i left that feeling like we all hosed up, got tricked, and lost a bunch of people for no real gain other than burning a lovely village at Christmas and killing his main henchman. Probably my bad since I had very little patience for the cut scenes from eivor and Sigurd leaving for Norway onwards

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 15, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ilitarist posted:

The ancestral memory stuff was ditched after 3 when they moved on to the Abstergo-as-Ubisoft phase.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Kuiperdolin posted:

Character arcs can be satisfying without the guy dying at the end.

What I mean all the stories of ancestor assassins have to end with "and then he or she found a nice girl or guy and they had a nice wedding and a baby". Also means that you leave your hero while he's relatively young. Arno, I'm really sad of your templar girlfriend dying, but we all know you'll find someone else.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The ancestral memory stuff was ditched after 3 when they moved on to the Abstergo-as-Ubisoft phase.

Before Origins they still extracted memories frim Desmond's brain. Leyla discovered a tech to learn all you and your granddad knew from your fingernail.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ilitarist posted:

Before Origins they still extracted memories frim Desmond's brain. Leyla discovered a tech to learn all you and your granddad knew from your fingernail.

They got a bunch of stuff from Desmond's corpse but not all the protagonists are related to him, and there's a whole thing about how Abstergo developed the Helix which allows anybody to plug into any genetic memory they can find, not just direct ancestors before they had kids.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Wiki says Arno memories are from his descendant's DNA. It's a mystery where Rogue's Shay memories come from, same for Syndicate's Jacob and Evie. Now that I think about it, it was dumb to assume both siblings memories are in someone's DNA. Then again, you also relieve Evie's granddaughter's memories, not to mention Jack the Ripper.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I just picked this up, anything I should know before I play? Dude or lady eivor?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

bike tory posted:

I just picked this up, anything I should know before I play? Dude or lady eivor?

There isn't a consensus this time I think. I prefer Sheivor, although I didn't warm to her until we got out of Norway; to me, Heivor sounds like he's murmuring into a mic, rather than actually speaking to people. But others really like him, so try them both and see.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
If you let the game choose you will be Shevior like 90% of the time until you take some acid

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

bike tory posted:

Dude Eivor is super chill, not sure what game people that complain about him are playing but it's not the same game I'm playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I think male Eivor makes it easier to understand the meta-plot. Even though female Eivor seems to be the canonical and right way to play.