Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

dwarf74 posted:

Ahhh the good ol clit-mouse
Those were so much better than trackpads; precise and didn't require moving your fingers off the home row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Those were so much better than trackpads; precise and didn't require moving your fingers off the home row.

I always thought so, and recently had the opportunity to use one again and realized why I preferred it to track pads: the track pads of that time were absolute hot garbage compared to modern ones.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I miss when every latitude and thinkpad had a trackpoint.

At work, nobody used them, so they were always at the default settings, while each user had different trackpad sensitivity, making working on 10-20 different laptops per day hell. I got used to the trackpoint since it was always set up the same and people thought I was a wizard.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That's a whole new level of Groverhausing it that never occurred to me.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

By popular demand posted:

That's a whole new level of Groverhausing it that never occurred to me.

It's not melting the siding yet.

Also...

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

kid sinister posted:

It's not melting the siding yet.

Maybe it's Asbestos siding? ;)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Boogalo posted:

I miss when every latitude and thinkpad had a trackpoint.

At work, nobody used them, so they were always at the default settings, while each user had different trackpad sensitivity, making working on 10-20 different laptops per day hell. I got used to the trackpoint since it was always set up the same and people thought I was a wizard.

You'd probably hate me - I set the trackpoint sensitivity way up, so it doesn't take ten seconds to cross the screen.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
Apropos of nothing, here's my neighborhood over the last 2 months.

1. Notice that there is non-specific work being done.
2. Notice that it's a gas line replacement.
3. Weirdos walking around spray painting and staking my lawn.
4. Ask said weirdos what they're doing. They say that they don't know. They just paint and stick flags in the ground.
5. Ask other weirdo what they're doing. He says he's painting the curbs. He does not know why.
6. Call city and ask, "What is the scope of work?" They say, curbs and road surface but can't speak to the gas portion.
7. Call the gas company and ask scope of work. They say, we're replacing lines. I ask, "What lines?" they say that the contractors are handling that.
8. Ask the contractors, what lines are you replacing? They say "I'm supposed to dig here.".
9. Ask other contractors, "Legit... What are you trying to do?". They say "I'm standing here looking at the machine that goes up and down the hill." I say, "Why?" They say, I don't know, that's a different company. I'm just watching it.

Skip to step 100. They were replacing cast iron with Pex for the gas, they didn't do anything with the water, they resurfaced the road, they unnecessarily replaced some curbs. Also, they re-staked the lines twice for no reason.

Christ in a sidecar! Why couldn't the 1st notice give me any information of value? Why can't the city tell me what they approved? Why can't the gas company tell me what their intentions are? Why can't the county tell me what they're doing with the water?

Apparently some guy named Tim that lives in Nymore, MN knows everything but he doesn't have a phone, Nymore no longer exists, and he died in the 60's.

They did a pretty good job on the road though. I just wish they'd have told me scope of project 2 months ago.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Do you happen to run a homeowners association?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mostlygray posted:

Christ in a sidecar! Why couldn't the 1st notice give me any information of value? Why can't the city tell me what they approved? Why can't the gas company tell me what their intentions are? Why can't the county tell me what they're doing with the water?

Awww, babys first interaction with municipal government contracts.

Nobody you talked to is paid to know this, and even if they do telling you can only result in a neutral to negative experience for them personally, so why would they tell you poo poo?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Yeah, I get motherfuckers asking me all the time while drilling on private and public property "y'all drilling fer oil ? LOLOLOLO!!!!"
"Whatcha drilling on bill's lawn fer"?

"Find any gold? Let me know LOLOLOLO"

"Do you guys have a PERMIT"?!?!?!?!?!?

"Why are you doing this on this person's lawn"?

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Motronic posted:

Nobody you talked to is paid to know this, and even if they do telling you can only result in a neutral to negative experience for them personally, so why would they tell you poo poo?

This. When you work in a trade like that you get told “dig hole here this big” and that’s what you do. What happens to the hole after that isn’t your responsibility because it’s been subcontracted to a different company

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

mostlygray posted:

Apparently some guy named Tim that lives in Nymore, MN knows everything but he doesn't have a phone, Nymore no longer exists, and he died in the 60's.

“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If the project only took two months your city is actually above-average. At one of my old places they tore up all the roads in the entire subdivision at once to install sewer lines (the whole neighborhood was built with septic tanks and drain fields) and left them that way for three or four months before any meaningful work happened. Then they’d come in and install one street worth of sewer lines and pave in a day or two, and not come back for a week or more. There was an excavator parked on our lawn for two weeks straight that didn’t move once in that timeframe. Any time it even threatened to drizzle, they’d knock off and everyone would go home for the day. I lived on a dirt road for over a year. Really pissed me off because I had just bought a brand new GTO.

The only exception was a single street in the middle of the development that was ripped up, sewer mains installed, and repaved in a day or two because a city councilman lived there.

:argh:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the title of this thread made me crack up. does anyone have a link to the posts that generated it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

the title of this thread made me crack up. does anyone have a link to the posts that generated it?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Motronic posted:

This isn't government, this is a private company. And they work just as poorly.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nm posted:

This isn't government, this is a private company. And they work just as poorly.

It's a muni contract unless mostlygray has some non-public gas utility that was being replaced. Of course it's full of private contractors, that's how these things typically get one.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Not exactly crappy construction, but...
https://twitter.com/ZachWeiner/status/1416467816191086593

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Javid posted:

My homestead friends are tossing around the idea of renting well-drilling equipment and trying to DIY it, due to there literally not being a company that will drill a well in the area they live. How badly can this go?

Lol they're actually doing it

I have long since divested of any interest in the homestead. My advice against this is on record. :munch:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

…You’re still going to go document it with video though, right?

:ohdear:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I plan to be in a different state when they fire that thing up.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Javid posted:

I have long since divested of any interest in the homestead. My advice against this is on record. :munch:

I like how, already, it looks like a long-abandoned ranch project.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Javid posted:

Ask them what they plan on using to seal the annulus, and what will they do if they encounter an artesian formation?
May I ask what area they are in that they can't find a well driller to do it for them? That sounds like a bad thing if no one is willing to do it.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 18, 2021

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The story I have been given is that there's one drilling company who will accept a drilling job in that area and they literally refuse to accept a gig that's under a certain dollar amount, I believe $5000, because they're booked solid already so gently caress you

I suggested they offer to pay $5001 and wait out the queue and be done with it, or accept the $400/quarter they've been averaging for water deliveries as the ongoing price of not doing that. They did not accept these options.

:munch:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I suppose you are not the one I should be telling this, but there is a reason why water well drillers charge a lot, and that is because they have much overhead. A well rig is not cheap to buy, run and maintain. Not to mention licensing, insurance etc. Plus supplies like casing, pumps and so on. If they could get a well installed for *only* 5000 dollars that would most certainly be a bargain.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Motronic posted:

It's a muni contract unless mostlygray has some non-public gas utility that was being replaced. Of course it's full of private contractors, that's how these things typically get one.

Other than la, who has a government gas company?
It's generally the realm of lovely companies like PGE in my experience.
Fwiw, my electric company is public and is loving awesome and hasn't blown up any neighborhoods, unlike pge.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

nm posted:

Other than la, who has a government gas company?
It's generally the realm of lovely companies like PGE in my experience.
Fwiw, my electric company is public and is loving awesome and hasn't blown up any neighborhoods, unlike pge.

My electric and gas are through the same company, public utility. I don't think private utilities even exist here. Nowhere close to LA.

... we also have a roadside torn up for gas line replacement near me where no work has been done for 3 weeks now while the gaping holes in the ground stay open, so public is apparently not a savior vs private.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Javid posted:

...or accept the $400/quarter they've been averaging for water deliveries as the ongoing price of not doing that. They did not accept these options.

$125/month seems like a decent price to not have to deal with the multiple ways trying to drill your own well could go badly.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

8one6 posted:

$125/month seems like a decent price to not have to deal with the multiple ways trying to drill your own well could go badly.

Well yeah but if they poison themselves and die, they don't have to worry about a water bill. :pseudo:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Blue Moonlight posted:

I like how, already, it looks like a long-abandoned ranch project.

It's a well, actually.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Javid posted:

One more thing. You should ask them if they are prepared to possibly get sued if they improperly seal their well and it becomes a conduit for contaminating not only their water supply, but that of their neighbors.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

One more thing. You should ask them if they are prepared to possibly get sued if they improperly seal their well and it becomes a conduit for contaminating not only their water supply, but that of their neighbors.

This is the #1 reason why, even though I'm capable of doing so, I would never drill my own well. Some things are best left on someone else's liability insurance.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Bunch of good stuff: https://imgur.com/gallery/k50Q5eQ

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

It's a well, actually.

I appreciated this.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Hope that wasn't load bearing.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

It's fine, that is what the fan is for. It is now a load bearing fan, like a helicopter.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Motronic posted:

If I'm paid to sweep the floor, I know why I'm sweeping it, how long it will take, what's the area that I'll be sweeping and schedule my sweeping so I don't interfere with anyone.

It's not they're not paid to know. Even the people that are paid to know don't know. The city manager didn't know what the plan was. Not a single contractor knew anything. They didn't even know how long they'd be working on that day. One guy dug a hole, he did not know why and he didn't even knock on my door to let me know. Another guy filled the hole back in. Then another dug the same hole but bigger. Then they said it was OK for me to pick up the flags. Then a few days later, they put more flags down.

Literally not one person involved knew any more then their 10x10 foot part of a major project. Not even the project manager knew what the full project was. The mayors office didn't know. MNDOT didn't know.

That's not normal incompetency, it's active incompetency. How could they even create the project if absolutely no-one knows what the project is?

One guys job was literally to move a giant pile of sand on the street from outside my house to 2 houses down, then move the whole thing back again. I watched him do it for 2 days. Then one day it was gone. It was unclear where it went as they hadn't torn anything up yet. Just movin' some sand boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

mostlygray posted:

If I'm paid to sweep the floor, I know why I'm sweeping it, how long it will take, what's the area that I'll be sweeping and schedule my sweeping so I don't interfere with anyone.

It's not they're not paid to know. Even the people that are paid to know don't know. The city manager didn't know what the plan was. Not a single contractor knew anything. They didn't even know how long they'd be working on that day. One guy dug a hole, he did not know why and he didn't even knock on my door to let me know. Another guy filled the hole back in. Then another dug the same hole but bigger. Then they said it was OK for me to pick up the flags. Then a few days later, they put more flags down.

Literally not one person involved knew any more then their 10x10 foot part of a major project. Not even the project manager knew what the full project was. The mayors office didn't know. MNDOT didn't know.

That's not normal incompetency, it's active incompetency. How could they even create the project if absolutely no-one knows what the project is?

One guys job was literally to move a giant pile of sand on the street from outside my house to 2 houses down, then move the whole thing back again. I watched him do it for 2 days. Then one day it was gone. It was unclear where it went as they hadn't torn anything up yet. Just movin' some sand boss.

Well I'm sure it made good money for someone.