Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Epicurius posted:

Tuvok was good.

Hmm. I'll allow it.

E: To expand, the Doctor and Seven benefited from also having a lot of time together and playing off each other so well. Tuvok was good, but a lot of the time he was just kinda there. I suspect Seven got more focus episodes than Tuvok did even though he was on the show from day one. And a lot of the Doctor-centered episodes are among the best of the show overall.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sash! posted:

Find literally anywhere else that people talk about Star Trek? We're the people in opposite land that love DS9 and hate Voyager.

I guess my only frames of reference for discussing Trek online are here, years ago the justin.tv chat room for pirate trek streams, and the Daystrom Institute subreddit. Checking the normal startrek reddit, it also has the same general DS9/TNG best, Voy/Ent wrestle for worse. I don't think there's really anything contrarian about this forum's reception to Trek, but idk about usenet or... what other venues people generally use to discuss trek, maybe they're the voyager-heads-haven?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Voyager's very popular among people who don't waste their lives posting about Star Trek on the internet. It's consistently the most streamed Trek.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cross-Section posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO9M4zi4uGw

These fan renders have always been like cat nip to me but this one feels particularly well done and organic to the movie. It's fun to see a bunch of TMP-era ships pew-pew-ing (albeit to little effect) in any case.

Not related to this video at all, but the captain telling Starfleet Command that they're setting up a solar sail is one of my favorite little details from any of the Star Trek movies. Just some random Starfleet ship having its own little episode plotline complete with a Starfleet engineering miracle solution. I love it.

Hope that dude and his off-brand Scotty made it through ok :unsmith:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Voyager's very popular among people who don't waste their lives posting about Star Trek on the internet. It's consistently the most streamed Trek.

Consuming media without comment!? How can you be sure you watched or felt anything at all unless you post post psot

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Hope that dude and his off-brand Scotty made it through ok :unsmith:

They're trying to power the ship with a solar sail, a device that does not provide any electricity at all, so I got bad news for you.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I can also anecdotally confirm that Voyager is mega popular with people whose level of Trek nerd falls between “can’t name Insurrection but remember it was meh” and “has started DS9 at least three times but can’t seem to stick with it”.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

They're trying to power the ship with a solar sail, a device that does not provide any electricity at all, so I got bad news for you.

Look he didn't have a lot of time to explain that their plan also involved reversing the polarity of the deflector dish to convert energy from the reflected photons into electricity

No self-respecting Starfleet engineer would debase themselves with a plan as simple as "build some PV cells"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Look he didn't have a lot of time to explain that their plan also involved reversing the polarity of the deflector dish to convert energy from the reflected photons into electricity

:hmmyes:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Sh0NAsHfU

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Grand Fromage posted:

It's "The Office" of Star Trek.

It requires almost no mental energy to engage with it, you can have it perpetually steaming and jump in wherever you want because of it's uniquely designed, totally unserialized presentation.

They are stuck in the Delta Quadrant, they will always be stuck in the Delta Quadrant. Harry Kim is an Ensign, Harry Kim will always be an Ensign.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

“To shitpost, or not to shitpost. That is the question.”

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Penitent posted:

It's "The Office" of Star Trek.

It requires almost no mental energy to engage with it, you can have it perpetually steaming and jump in wherever you want because of it's uniquely designed, totally unserialized presentation.

They are stuck in the Delta Quadrant, they will always be stuck in the Delta Quadrant. Harry Kim is an Ensign, Harry Kim will always be an Ensign.

Harry Kim is dead, though.

Quantum Harry Kim is still around, however.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gonz posted:

I'd pay real money if he'd eat a perma and shut up.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Gonz posted:

Cry "HAMMOCK" and let poo poo the posts of war!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

https://twitter.com/TechConnectify/status/1416375995955822592?s=19

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Grand Fromage posted:

Hmm. I'll allow it.

E: To expand, the Doctor and Seven benefited from also having a lot of time together and playing off each other so well. Tuvok was good, but a lot of the time he was just kinda there. I suspect Seven got more focus episodes than Tuvok did even though he was on the show from day one. And a lot of the Doctor-centered episodes are among the best of the show overall.

They wrote good episodes for the Doctor and Seven. Episodes that actually developed the characters and consisted of more than just solving problems by reeling off technobabble.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

It’s because of Jeri Ryan

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Young me came because of the Rock but stayed for Jeri Ryan lol

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

sunday at work posted:

They wrote good episodes for the Doctor and Seven. Episodes that actually developed the characters and consisted of more than just solving problems by reeling off technobabble.

Speaking of Technobabble

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50wfbPpbAUA

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Admiralty Flag posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only voice in the wilderness who shouts this. Tuvok was indeed good

Tuvok is one of my favorite Vulcans, probably second only to :spock:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I love that by Vulcan standards Tuvok is probably a rebellious party animal.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Tuvok is my favourite, Spock I feel like I don't actually know. I mean, I get him, but I never even finished ToS and know him more through two other actors but I was there for all of Tuvok's journey. I hope he shows up in Picard or is mentioned. Almost a shame Neelix didn't come to Earth with the crew, who knows what kind of accidents might transpire with those two around again.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Astroman posted:

Tuvok is one of my favorite Vulcans, probably second only to :spock:

is this an unusual opinion or something

Tuvok is hands down the best character on Voyager

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I’m not a big Tuvok fan, but he’s definitely not bad. I regard you all with curiosity rather than derision.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Tuvok is a great "I'm completely over this poo poo already and I just got here" straight man, he just needed to be paired with a better comedic character than Neelix.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love Tuvok.

A character can be like "We've got to rescue the Captain!" and Tuvok will be like "I must point out that there is no evidence the Captain is still alive", they will look at him like "What the gently caress?" and he will then say "... However, there is no direct evidence of her death, thus, we should begin a search"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Spock I feel like I don't actually know.

Khanstant posted:

I never even finished ToS

:ughh:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've tried to watch TOS but it's just terrible so I don't know Nimoy's spock outside of the movies.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Please, everyone knows that when it comes to TOS you scroll to the bottom and hit "accept"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That is a disturbingly accurate comparison.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There are lists out there of 'essential' TOS episodes. You are fine just watching those. I watched through the entire series last year and about 2/3 are skippable.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Pascallion posted:

I’m not a big Tuvok fan, but he’s definitely not bad. I regard you all with curiosity rather than derision.

I like how he has to suppress his aggressive tendencies (I think it comes out as snark a lot), which must be even more challenging as a security officer. Kinda like Worf. He's often riding a very fine line.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

As Fry once put it "79 episodes, about 30 good ones."

Which, to be fair, is a pretty solid ratio for any tv series from that era.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

8one6 posted:

As Fry once put it "79 episodes, about 30 good ones."

Which, to be fair, is a pretty solid ratio for any tv series from that era.
Yes this was surprisingly accurate

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Tuvok is a great "I'm completely over this poo poo already and I just got here" straight man, he just needed to be paired with a better comedic character than Neelix.

Yeah, Tuvok was great, but he needed someone to work with, and there was no one on Voyager to be that person. You need someone who's more emotional to play against a Vulcan, and the only emotional characters were Kes and Neelix, who both sucked.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
They should have played Tuvok off Paris and Kim off (a better) Nelix.

Rigid security officer and carefree ex-con who runs the betting pool. Green ensign and explorer who has seen it all but is still light hearted.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

The problem is that both Paris and Kim were personality black holes

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Then how could they land some fine tail like the Delany sisters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I said before when I watched it but 'Meld' is an incredible episode for Tim Russ as Tuvok. Apparently he and Brad Dourif rehearsed the post-meld scenes by playing each other's parts so they could pick up each other's performance nuances and it works really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57OBGv5BVzA

e: they get great use out of the pure black Betazoid eyes with that character

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 18, 2021