Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww7SP1Gw_Yg&t=134s
Man, I forgot that the main theme was Zelda's Lullaby backwards. Having one of the better themes in the series be an inverted version of one of the other better themes in the series is one of the neatest things they've managed to pull off.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Seriously, was the composer just noodling around on a keyboard and realized he just hit the fucken jackpot? Because Ballad of the Goddess is one of the best Zelda themes out there.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I was glad to have Hero Mode unlocked at the start of LA Switch version, I chose it immediately and it was great. Of course, once you can get the blue tunic and visit Crazy Tracy it more or less stops being challenging, even more so since you can catch fairies in bottles in the Switch version. Still, for the first three dungeons it's a fun challenge.
The very fact that hero mode makes you pick the blue tunic for defence instead of stacking on the attack and trivialising almost every enemy in the game makes it significantly more interesting even late into the game imo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

Seriously who was the loving rear end in a top hat who chose the Wiiu tag when making this thread

The WiiU is the one Nintendo console that plays all the Zelda games :pseudo:.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
not A Link Between Worlds :colbert:

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I don’t even remember selecting it as Wii U. IDK if a mod changed it to that at some point as a joke or if there wasn’t a Switch tag at the time of creation. Either way I stand by it, gently caress you.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the thread is from before the switch reveal so there definitely wasn't a tag lol

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

report: skyward sword, is good

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Seriously, was the composer just noodling around on a keyboard and realized he just hit the fucken jackpot? Because Ballad of the Goddess is one of the best Zelda themes out there.

Koji Kondo is an unparalleled master. For over a decade now he typically only personally composes one or two songs per game, instead overseeing the other composers, but that one is usually the best one in the soundtrack.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Amppelix posted:

the thread is from before the switch reveal so there definitely wasn't a tag lol

Yep. This was the BOTW thread and BOTW is a Wii U game.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Bongo Bill posted:

Koji Kondo is an unparalleled master. For over a decade now he typically only personally composes one or two songs per game, instead overseeing the other composers, but that one is usually the best one in the soundtrack.

I don't blame him for taking an overseer role, dude spent nearly 30 years making great music for games.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

:perfect:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Bongo Bill posted:

He did everything on MM2, which is why we got some real loving bangers from it;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N9adhFri3c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rflGmkTq7Ow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSm6pXWrTk0

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I looked it up because I was surprised to see that Kondo did a full soundtrack himself since he doesn't do that anymore, but that isn't the case:

quote:

Koji Kondo is not listed under 'Music' in the credits, however it was revealed during the Super Mario Maker 2 Direct on May 15, 2019 that he wrote the music for the Desert, Snow, Forest, and Sky course themes.

But Kondo is the goat, and the best track in SMO was him alone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Mx18uR1dY

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

sigher posted:

Ah, so that's why that song slaps to Gerudo Valley levels of quality.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
A quick tip for button controls in SSHD since they aren't necessarily intuitive.

In addition to the standard left-right etc movements, you can just double tap a direction like right-right. This is the only way to attack quickly since trying to spam any other way just does spin attacks.

For the first boss fight, there's only one way to actually beat the first phase. Hold the sword in one direction for a second to start the telegraph, then reset the stick to neutral, and then double tap the stick in a different direction. If you try to do anything else you just get stuck there forever.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Zeron posted:

For the first boss fight, there's only one way to actually beat the first phase. Hold the sword in one direction for a second to start the telegraph, then reset the stick to neutral, and then double tap the stick in a different direction. If you try to do anything else you just get stuck there forever.

you're supposed to spin the sword around until his hand stops following it, then you can attack in any direction

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I’m pleasantly surprised at how satisfying the motion controls with the Joy-Cons are, though the Loftwing took some getting used to (it also doesn’t help that the game literally never tells you that you can “flap” the right controller to gain altitude)

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I’m pleasantly surprised at how satisfying the motion controls with the Joy-Cons are, though the Loftwing took some getting used to (it also doesn’t help that the game literally never tells you that you can “flap” the right controller to gain altitude)
This was my exact problem when I played it on Wii, it was very frustrating. Just slowed down and sank into the clouds.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zeron posted:

A quick tip for button controls in SSHD since they aren't necessarily intuitive.

In addition to the standard left-right etc movements, you can just double tap a direction like right-right. This is the only way to attack quickly since trying to spam any other way just does spin attacks.

you just need to quickly tap a direction once to swing in that direction.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

sigher posted:

I looked it up because I was surprised to see that Kondo did a full soundtrack himself since he doesn't do that anymore, but that isn't the case:

of course this was him, goddamn.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
What I want to know is why when you're skydiving into somewhere you are shown the button prompt for the sail, but then it deploys it for you anyway. I want to see Link belly-flop into the loving GROUND god damnit! :mad:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

DelphiAegis posted:

What I want to know is why when you're skydiving into somewhere you are shown the button prompt for the sail, but then it deploys it for you anyway. I want to see Link belly-flop into the loving GROUND god damnit! :mad:

I think it only deploys automatically in Skyloft and the ground areas, on other islands Link will bellyflop. but I agree that you should be able to bellyflop no matter where you're landing, and when you're landing in a ground area you should create a comical hole in the ground that is shaped like the outline of your body

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

DelphiAegis posted:

You can beef it in the tutorial at least, I just pancaked into the ground after Zelda pushed me off a cliff and I mixed up my left and right buttons on the prompt :rip::ghost:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Scenes from a dumb story part 3: Link falls down

https://twitter.com/WorstLink/status/1416476320532291584?s=20

https://twitter.com/WorstLink/status/1416475213600935936?s=20

https://twitter.com/WorstLink/status/1416476082463674368?s=20

https://twitter.com/WorstLink/status/1416441384119140355?s=20

https://twitter.com/WorstLink/status/1416475657299664899?s=20

https://twitter.com/WorstLink/status/1416475503007989761?s=20

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
this game is so much better with the button controls. I just beat the first dungeon and the Stalfos and Ghirahim were way easier than i remember them being on the Wii. I might actually finish the game now that im not constantly fighting the wiimote and having to reset its position.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
In Skyward Sword HD, is there a way to make the Loftwing flight on the left thumbstick act like a control yoke? Pushing up to go up and down to go down when I'm much more used to dealing with aircraft-like controls is somewhat infuriating.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

maltesh posted:

In Skyward Sword HD, is there a way to make the Loftwing flight on the left thumbstick act like a control yoke? Pushing up to go up and down to go down when I'm much more used to dealing with aircraft-like controls is somewhat infuriating.

Yeah, scroll a ways down in the options menu. It took me a second to find it, but it's down there.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Fifty Three posted:

This was my exact problem when I played it on Wii, it was very frustrating. Just slowed down and sank into the clouds.

I literally had to close and re-open the game when that happened since there’s no option in the menu (that I saw) to load from a save, I thought I was gonna have to give up the entire game until I found out about the flapping mechanic

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

When you do the tutorial flight it shows the motion for flapping in the example and labels it ascend or whatever. But I agree that it isn’t very clear about it.

I’m kinda disappointed that Fi still shows up and explains poo poo to you that you already know, although you can skip through some of it quickly now which rules. So she’s slightly less annoying at least.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm not gonna lie, one of my biggest complaints about BotW would be solved if there were stamina balls sitting around everywhere.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm not gonna lie, one of my biggest complaints about BotW would be solved if there were stamina balls sitting around everywhere.

That's part of the exploration mechanic though? That's like asking for Majora's Mask to be in the Shrine of Resurrection.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

That's part of the exploration mechanic though? That's like asking for Majora's Mask to be in the Shrine of Resurrection.

Oh I don't want to completely get rid of stamina, it just starts out at about half of what I think makes for fun gameplay though, so I spend a lot of time being frustrated with the game until I work up to a second stamina wheel.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You make your own stamina fruit and keep them in your pocket

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Once I figured out that 13 hearts meant I could get the master sword I just sucked it up and made recipes that gave me stamina whenever I could.

I like that stamina limitations keep you from tackling certain shrines (as in getting up to them) and generally acts as a vertical limiter to where you can go easily.

I'll reiterate the old rear end complaint that it rains too fuckin much in Hyrule, though.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

The objectively correct way to play is to fill up stamina all the way first, and trade it in for hearts to grab the Master Sword then immediately back to stamina.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

hatty posted:

You make your own stamina fruit and keep them in your pocket
Stamina is stored in the balls

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

stamina fruit can't be in breath of the wild because that would mean you'd have a clear dotted path to follow up a mountain instead of figuring one out for yourself

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Just realized the thread title is relevant again. Hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

At first I thought that Nintendo emphasizing Groose was sort of giving away the joke but after playing the intro again, those silly videos and posts barely scratch the surface of what a hilarious clown he is. They really nailed it with his characterization.