Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

nothing further to add your honour.

Wait who's the poop man? What is his deal? That's a D-list DC villain I want to know more about.

edit: I just noticed the Mad Hatter. Is that supposed to be the Caterpillar? Why is he brown? Why is he buddies with the Bludgeoning Black Bison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

BooDooBoo posted:

I wouldn't have guessed that was Giffen, was it a layouts/finish thing with Janson doing the fine work?

I love Giffen art, but it's so distinctive I just can't line it up with what I expect from him!
Giffen has gone through a lot of styles over the years, his earliest Defenders work was very much a Kirby pastiche before transitioning into a sort of "classical" photo reference-y superhero artist a few years later in his star-making Legion of Super Heroes run with Paul Levitz. He fell in love with blockier/more abstract non-superhero styles not long after to the point that TCJ went after him for ripping off Jose Munoz for Ambush Bug panels, and then he evolved further (but more in his 'familiar' style through the 1990s and 2000s.

Fish Of Doom posted:

Wait who's the poop man? What is his deal? That's a D-list DC villain I want to know more about.

edit: I just noticed the Mad Hatter. Is that supposed to be the Caterpillar? Why is he brown? Why is he buddies with the Bludgeoning Black Bison?
Black Bison had a magical "coup stick" that let him animate inanimate objects to do his bidding. He made the Alice in Wonderland statue in Central Park come alive and attack Firestorm. The caterpillar is not part of that statue, but hey.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Left Skull is the commie imposter who killed Peter's parents. Right Skull is the original, who has since reclaimed the title.

Edit: I was beaten, so here's content:

Darwyn Cooke was great, wasn't he?

He was such a talent. I was obsessed with his work after New Frontier/Solo, and ran into him doing free sketches at some book festival in Halifax around 2006 or so. I got him to draw a portrait the Question for me, and he was a gent enough not to mention how fuckin' weird/dumb it was to get an artist you like to draw a portrait of a dude with no face.

Edit: thinking back, Solo was so good. I loved the Cooke issue, and the Paul Pope one made my brain feel like it was popping out of the back of my head.

Edit 2: Paul Pope's Cesar Romero Joker, drat. Gross moustache and all:

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 18, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Parkingtigers posted:

This is literally just a portrait of a dude, but somehow it stopped me in my tracks. It's just... I mean, a 1977 funny book about punchmans looks like that. Sometimes the simplest stuff, done well, is what carries the most weight.

I think this is also a great example of stellar inking,

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

BooDooBoo posted:

I wouldn't have guessed that was Giffen, was it a layouts/finish thing with Janson doing the fine work?

I love Giffen art, but it's so distinctive I just can't line it up with what I expect from him!
On the comics.org page for this issue, Giffen is credited with "breakdowns", Janson with "finished art".

Edge & Christian posted:

Giffen has gone through a lot of styles over the years, his earliest Defenders work was very much a Kirby pastiche before transitioning into a sort of "classical" photo reference-y superhero artist a few years later in his star-making Legion of Super Heroes run with Paul Levitz.
Yeah, Giffen was capable of some very passable Kirby homage. This is from three issues later.

The Defenders #48 (1977)
Pencils: Keith Giffen (breakdowns); Dan Green (finished art)
Inks: Dan Green

And in less successful Kirby emulation...

The Destructor #4 (1975)
Pencils: Steve Ditko
Inks: Al Milgrom

Detective Comics #2 (1937)
Pencils/Inks: Ed Winiarski

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BooDooBoo posted:

Very early in his career while he was still developing his style. Defenders was his first big book, IIRC.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Honestly that Detective Comics two panel sequence is kinda lovely in its simplicity. Bang, dead. Silent.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Honestly that Detective Comics two panel sequence is kinda lovely in its simplicity. Bang, dead. Silent.

I really like how pushed it is. You can see the dude's ribcage through his suit - it isn't at all literal but it makes him look like a skeleton-in-waiting and emphasises that it's a killing shot.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superboy #77 (1959)
Pencils/Inks: George Papp

Superman #20 (1943)
Pencils/Inks: John Sikela (as Joe Shuster)

And MJ's weird use of writing space.

Spider-Man Unlimited #8 (1995)
Credits (from a 50-page story)
Pencils: Ron Lim (breakdowns); Tom Palmer (finishes); Al Milgrom (finishes); Scott Hanna (finishes); Harry Candelario (finishes)
Inks: Tom Palmer; Al Milgrom; Scott Hanna; Harry Candelario
Lettering: Joe Rosen

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pretty convenient of MJ to write diagonally like that so it'd fit in the panel.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
........ Peter, please let me
....confirm that that you
..are secretly actually
Spider-Man to
anyone who
sees this
note

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lobok posted:

Pretty convenient of MJ to write diagonally like that so it'd fit in the panel.

PoptartsNinja posted:

..are secretly actually
Spider-Man to
anyone who
sees this
note

its secret code, you dont see the rest of the letter that obfuscates the real message.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Darthemed posted:

The Defenders #45 (1977)
Pencils: Keith Giffen & Klaus Janson
Inks: Klaus Janson

To elaborate a little more about why this simple illustration is so effective and how ink on the page is so important:

The artists are using light and shadow to dictate form. SO MUCH comic book art is a penciller rendering countours - almost a paint by numbers framework - and then an "inker" coming in and adding varying line weights to that outline while cross hatching everything else to death. Often, they confuse adding more detail/lines as "better" and often it confuses the viewer. Then a colorist comes in and uses Photoshop gradients built from the outer color spectrum (hot, juicy colors) to add another layer on top of all that in ways that don't really suggest how contrast dictates the shapes we perceive.

I'm an artist and don't know if I'm explaining it well so if I get time I'll try to find two really good clear cut examples of what I'm talking about and post them side by side but for now, here, the use of light and shadow really defines Strange's face and his cape, collar and its folds. Fine lines are used for ornate objects to add texture, not to show off the artist's new set of pens.

Klaus Janson and Frank Miller used this heavy shadow approach to great effect in 80's Daredevil books. Joe Sinnott really helped bring out the weight and bulk of Jack Kirby's stuff on early FF work. Wil Eisner and Bernie Wrightson understood this type of visual communication.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

PoptartsNinja posted:

..are secretly actually I
Spider-Man to wanted to
anyone who talk to you
sees this about your car's
note extended warranty.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
on the topic of really intense portraits, here's a page from Immortal Hulk #48

Betty Ross' gamma form, and sometimes her unusually fast and silent changing to and from it, is used for great effect all through the series, but right here when she sees right through Joe Fixit, and stares right into your soul, the depth and intensity of her gaze is just :kiss:

there's a lot of great art through the whole series but I think Betty's been the real star.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Chainsaw Man creator Tatsuki Fujimoto has a new one-shot out, Look Back, a story about how creating art can change your life for the better...and for the worse, a really personal story about grief, loss, success, envy, ambition all contained in 140 pages.

It's also really amazing to look at

It's available in English here https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009755

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Probably also deserves to be cross-posted in the We're stronger than we think we are: Touching and inspiring panels thread.

It's real real good.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
These are certainly some drawings of the Kingpin alright. From today's Marauders (#22).

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Chinston Wurchill posted:

These are certainly some drawings of the Kingpin alright. From today's Marauders (#22).

A large egg attached to a giant egg.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Yeahhh it doesn’t really work if it’s not highly stylised like the movie does it?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
First panel is very

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yeahhh it doesn’t really work if it’s not highly stylised like the movie does it?

Yeah I was gonna say they're clearly going for his Into The Spider-Verse look but it just does not work in a different art style

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The flashback sequence in today's Marauders were by Klaus Janson. Janson inked parts of Bill Sienkiewicz's first run on Moon Knight, and later inked/finished nearly all of Frank Miller's Daredevil run. Sienkiewicz also drew parts of Miller's 1980s DD stuff (the Love & War GN, Elektra Assassin) which was where Spider-Verse got its inspiration for Kingpin.

Sienkiewicz/Janson have collaborated fairly regularly for forty years now, including trading off pencil/ink duties for the Daredevil: End of Days mini-series from about a decade ago, but also on some covers and pin-ups in more recent years.

I agree that it didn't quite work, I just thought it was worth pointing out that it was more "tribute to a lifelong friend/collaborator" than "aping a recent movie".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

The flashback sequence in today's Marauders were by Klaus Janson. Janson inked parts of Bill Sienkiewicz's first run on Moon Knight, and later inked/finished nearly all of Frank Miller's Daredevil run. Sienkiewicz also drew parts of Miller's 1980s DD stuff (the Love & War GN, Elektra Assassin) which was where Spider-Verse got its inspiration for Kingpin.

If anything it's toned way down:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darthemed posted:

Detective Comics #2 (1937)
Pencils/Inks: Ed Winiarski

I can't look at that dude and not hear the "UUWAAAAAHH" from when you get your rear end beat in street fighter 2

YOU LOSE

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Alhazred posted:

i love this

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Sienkiewicz could go from Marvel House Style to his off the wall poo poo at the drop of a hat and it ruled. Really pushed New Mutants in a good way.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Alhazred posted:

This is so good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
Fallen Rib
The issue is that Kingpin is very stylized while the surrounding and other characters aren't. If everything was more stylized it would look like he actually took place in that setting but he just looks....inhuman compared to the other characters. I understand the idea of exaggerating characteristics because comics are about big men with big muscles and whatnot but he just looks out of place.

That being said I do appreciate the inspiration.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Alhazred posted:

Yeah this is really great.

I liked Aaron Kuder's work on today's Thor Annual:

Love all the details, especially the pug carriages.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

^^^I'm getting slight hints of P. Craig Russell (who I've posted about before) from this art^^^

Maybe it's the delicate line work and color palette because it's not nearly as stylized.

Yeah, I was about to say that SpiderVerse Kingpin was heavily cribbed from that Sienkiewicz work. The lovely art that was posted is someone trying to ape that style but it doesn't work if you're attempting to do it with traditional line work and generic techniques. Sienkiewicz is so good it's unreal. My only complaint with him sometimes is that his stuff can be hard to follow but that just draws me in and makes me look at it longer so that's a win.

I met him as a fairly young lad in the early 80's and he signed my Moon Knight #1 comic which I sold 5 or 10 years later to buy cocaine. Yeah...I had some problems. Wonder what it would fetch now? This was before he was a bonified legend.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 21, 2021

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Alhazred posted:

Holy poo poo, I was about to post this EXACT SAME page. Daredevil: Love and War was so awesome. Sienkiewicz is probably my all-time favorite comic artist. His portraits on his social media are great to see as well.

Sam Kieth also rules. I like weird and I'll take it over any Marvel/DC house style any day. He really had a totally unique style, at least at the time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I had this as a poster when I was a kid and I wish I still did, honestly. It's just so lush.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The gently caress did that frog say to Logan to make him that mad.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The gently caress did that frog say to Logan to make him that mad.
"You say you're the best there is at what you do, but I'll bet you I'm better at catching flies."

"You bastard." *snikt*

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Lol sam keith always draws wolvie sat on tree stumps or logs.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lol sam keith always draws wolvie sat on tree stumps or logs.

He did it a lot with The Maxx too. It's kinda his thing.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Logan's jaw line.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

I had this as a poster when I was a kid and I wish I still did, honestly. It's just so lush.

I love how so much of the line weighting is very soft and shaded or uses negative space to establish the edges of objects, and then Wolverine's teeth are just this nest of thick, dark, hard lines. It really makes his grimace the immediate focal point of a very detailed piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

X-O posted:

He did it a lot with The Maxx too. It's kinda his thing.

He really loves big muscly guys squatting and looking like balls of meat. It's the one constant in everything he's done.