Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

truly over RSD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

only bought the Aliens Soundtrack and the St. Vincent 7" in regards to RSD releases. Found a nice original Mono copy of Monk's Dream as well. Might go back out to peruse the new/used bins at a few other stores after having lunch.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Turbinosamente posted:

Either this thread is truly over RSD or everybody's still standing in line. I was successfully able to purchase over priced re releases today even though my rear end stood out in the rain for it like a good little consumer whore.

I'll be going in a few hours; just woke up. Fingers crossed that I get my Donna Summer and my Lamb of God, although those are just "wants" for me and not "needs". I also plan to do my usual raiding of the country/bluegrass section, and my partner has his eye on a Nina Simone album.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I spent all my money on Mars Volta records so I got my fill of fomo overpriced stuff for at least a little while.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Read After Burning posted:

I'll be going in a few hours; just woke up. Fingers crossed that I get my Donna Summer and my Lamb of God, although those are just "wants" for me and not "needs". I also plan to do my usual raiding of the country/bluegrass section, and my partner has his eye on a Nina Simone album.

Iirc there was a fair amount of Donna Summer at my shop don't remember about Lamb of God but I'd think you'd be able to get them both. There was a metric poo poo ton of the Foo Fighters Dee Gees thing there, I bought one and have since listened to it and that was a disappointment. Somebody shoot me if I buy another Foo Fighters album. I'll get around to posting pics later for I did raid the dollar bin for the hell of it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Me.

You can just get an old pressing of that album for about five bucks.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

Me.

You can just get an old pressing of that album for about five bucks.

Well I didn't want to crush their hopes by pointing out I saw random Donna Summer records in the dollar bin as well. And here's a dumb, I myself once bought a new repress of McCartney 1 just to avoid having to spend time sorting through the 80 billion used copies and find the best condition one. Some times it's easier to get a nice new and fresh copy even if you're paying a bunch for it. Anyways on a desktop now so here's pics of poo poo.

Actual RSD poo poo. So far I've listened to 3/4 of it and and coming to the conclusion that the old Shure cartridge is a bit thin on the ground, or that our cheap replacement speakers are cheap. I think I may switch back to the Ortofon Red at the expense of my auto start. Quick reviews, Dee Gees was adequate but dull on the normal Foo Fighters B side, The Sweet was an interesting romp through old demos and rough mixes, and Queen and Adam Lambert was suprisingly good and mixed better than the other two apparently. Guess it's a good thing I held out and got this with a random Freddie solo career 7in packed in. It was the cheapest RSD thing I bought today too.

I won this old random sampler vinyl spinning a prize wheel at the shop. I've never heard of the label and it must be near worthless if they were giving it away. Certainly beats the drink token and small baggie of unsellable merch I got last year.

Here's the crap I pulled out of the dollar bins before I got bored plus a random Kemado sampler CD from SXSW. Who knows if any of this was a mistake ?

Bonus picture from the the thrift store yesterday. I bought some naughty records, let's find out if they're tame by today's standards, or if it aged like milk, or both! Not pictured: random Count Basie CD that was fine. Did you know K-Tel still exists? I didn't.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah if you miss out on Donna Summer hit a few thrift shops.

Unlike classic rock, blues, jazz etc... mint copies of disco albums are pretty common.

I found a mint copy of her "On The Radio" Greatest Hits 1&2 for a buck a few years back and it seems to be the new "Whipped Cream and other Delights" for how often I have seen it since.

I also found a mint copy of her MacArthur Park Suite Single. Normally wouldn't buy a single especially since it's already on the Greatest Hits Album but the B side is completely blank so I figured it might come in handy for setting antiskate.
https://www.discogs.com/Donna-Summer-Mac-Arthur-Park-Suite/release/186716

My favorite thrift store disco find is Thelma Houston "Any Way You Like It". If you find a copy the drop on "Don't Leave Me This Way" is worth the price of admission.
https://www.discogs.com/Thelma-Houston-Any-Way-You-Like-It/release/6590691

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Oh, I planned to check the used bins first. :) I just never really wander into the disco section.

PLEASE do a trip report on "Knockers Up", good lord.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Have been dormant on my record collecting for the past year and didn’t realize there was an RSD today or last month. Just looked at the list, couple that caught my eye and I may pick up if they’re easy to find whenever I get around to buying records again

Thelonius Monk - Palo Alto
Link Wray - Sings and Plays Guitar
Golden Gate Groove comp
Jefferson Airplane RSD comp
Robert Palmer - Sneaking Sally Thru the Alley

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Oh, I planned to check the used bins first. :) I just never really wander into the disco section.

I'm just about to go down and swap carts, but according to my light internet googling, that was her famous catch phrase/song. It's also the earliest of the three I have, and I think there's six or seven albums total. Plus she was banned from TV and Radio for being too risque. And apparently only recently died two months ago at the age of 91.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Captured Tracks is a good label

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Seriously, don't spend 35+ bucks on that reissue there are plenty of VG+ copies on discogs for 5-10 bucks.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?s...lus+%28VG%2B%29

I also just filtered by VG+ if you can settle for VG or lower you have even more options.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Turbinosamente posted:

I won this old random sampler vinyl spinning a prize wheel at the shop. I've never heard of the label and it must be near worthless if they were giving it away. Certainly beats the drink token and small baggie of unsellable merch I got last year.

Captured Tracks is cool, they put out Beachniks’ first EP in 2009. Also Mac Demarco is good poo poo. Unfamiliar with the rest but I’d be a satisfied consumer whore to get my hands on that.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
gently caress, instead of listening to Rusty Warren I fell into an audio set up hole trying to diagnose why the speakers in the one room were so quiet. Answer: too high a wattage speakers and I ain't going crank the reciever and potentially damage the Bose speakers in the other room/my hearing. I started my testing with the Dee Gees album and am thoroughly convinced it was mixed rather middle of the road ish because I slapped on a reissue of Sheer Heart Attack and goddamn does it sing, very dynamic! Sounds as good to me as on a CD, even through random old rear end no name 40w thrift store speakers. I guess Queen's got the cash/means to have proper mixes done.

What's even more funny is I don't normally notice poo poo like this and am pretty whatever when it comes to audiophile nonsense as long as it's not aggressively bad.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Turbinosamente posted:

Either this thread is truly over RSD or everybody's still standing in line. I was successfully able to purchase over priced re releases today even though my rear end stood out in the rain for it like a good little consumer whore.

I stayed home and played Pokémon Go all day.

I grabbed KMD at a reasonable price off discogs a little while ago and will grab Suite for Ma Dukes Orchestra in a week or two when a hundred people have it listed for about 20 bucks.

And that’s how you do RSD.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I cleaned many records today. Sometimes it just feels good to clean*

*just records, not like my office or anything. that poo poo is a mess.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

CPL593H posted:

Seriously, don't spend 35+ bucks on that reissue

I ended up not buying it. :) Thank you for the heads up!

I did get the Lamb of God, as well as my usual armload of used stuff. Will post pics tomorrow, it's A Lot.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I waffled on the lamb of god one. I enjoy the album but don’t know how often I’d spin it. Which I put that checkbox in the order of operations in my head when I’m considering a vinyl purchase for this exact reason. To keep me from spending too much money.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

BigFactory posted:

I’ll post more later. That social distortion seems to be kinda valuable. Cutout, but not bad for a buck. Looks like a couple more that might be worth something.

Bete Noire gets unfairly slept on.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

So once again I posted in this thread and stumbled on a barn sale score just after posting.

Place had a bunch of neat furniture out front and my spider sense had a feeling there would be records.

Walked through and was shocked at the vast array of antiques priced at next to nothing.

Found this lighter set

Found some dudes Masonic Chapeau, Apron, Fez's and a lodge chair. Chapeau and Apron were $5, chair was $5 and the fez's were $2 each.

Found a NIB brother business class laser for $2.

Plus a wind up car Dash clock for $2 and some other stuff.

Paid and was loading up and said I was mainly looking for records and was bummed they didn't have any.

She then pointed me to an area of the barn I had missed because I was so distracted rounding up antiques.

She said the records were .25 cents each but warned me that someone had come early and bought all the good ones and all the boxes of 45 singles.

I found some really great condition LPs including some 80s stuff like UK Pressings Depeche Mode and Spandau Ballet with foreign language price tags.

There was a bunch of classical and Opera which I know nothing about. But flipping through I found a 10" one that I have definitely heard of! Plus 2 french 10" albums with cool covers.

Ended up with a decent stack and she said just give me $6.

https://youtu.be/AeKMUBJDYxQ

I then decided to ask about the Kenwood receiver. She said let me ask my husband. She said how much for the stereo? He said which one and she said the Kenwood, the big Technics and Pioneer sold a few hours ago. He said I thought I priced them. She said there was no price on it but the other 2 were $1 each. He said $1 sounds fair.

So I now own a $1 Kenwood KR-5200

I asked them where the stuff came from and they said they have a junk removal business but they save things that are neat looking and in good shape. She said she would let me know when they had their next sale as they always save records.

I'm tempted to go back tomorrow and check the rest of the classical/opera/french stuff against discogs to see what the rest of it was.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Sweet Jesus. Now that’s how you do record store day.

pwn
May 27, 2004

that's the wet dream of every schmuck digging through thrift sales.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I love blue with yellow record covers. With special guest star red.

I wish I'd not gotten so much glare on this one

Just came in today, forgot I'd ordered it and didn't open it until I got to the beach. Kinda blowing my mind that it got delivered today.

Honourable mention. More "shades of blue and yellow" (and red!) The yellow doesn't show in my piss poor photography but it's there. Funny, whenever I think of this record, I think of BLUE and YELLOW, and it was the first one I went for when I started gathering these.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

my turn in the barrel posted:

So once again I posted in this thread and stumbled on a barn sale score just after posting.

Place had a bunch of neat furniture out front and my spider sense had a feeling there would be records.

Walked through and was shocked at the vast array of antiques priced at next to nothing.

Found this lighter set

Found some dudes Masonic Chapeau, Apron, Fez's and a lodge chair. Chapeau and Apron were $5, chair was $5 and the fez's were $2 each.

Found a NIB brother business class laser for $2.

Plus a wind up car Dash clock for $2 and some other stuff.

Paid and was loading up and said I was mainly looking for records and was bummed they didn't have any.

She then pointed me to an area of the barn I had missed because I was so distracted rounding up antiques.

She said the records were .25 cents each but warned me that someone had come early and bought all the good ones and all the boxes of 45 singles.

I found some really great condition LPs including some 80s stuff like UK Pressings Depeche Mode and Spandau Ballet with foreign language price tags.

There was a bunch of classical and Opera which I know nothing about. But flipping through I found a 10" one that I have definitely heard of! Plus 2 french 10" albums with cool covers.

Ended up with a decent stack and she said just give me $6.

https://youtu.be/AeKMUBJDYxQ

I then decided to ask about the Kenwood receiver. She said let me ask my husband. She said how much for the stereo? He said which one and she said the Kenwood, the big Technics and Pioneer sold a few hours ago. He said I thought I priced them. She said there was no price on it but the other 2 were $1 each. He said $1 sounds fair.

So I now own a $1 Kenwood KR-5200

I asked them where the stuff came from and they said they have a junk removal business but they save things that are neat looking and in good shape. She said she would let me know when they had their next sale as they always save records.

I'm tempted to go back tomorrow and check the rest of the classical/opera/french stuff against discogs to see what the rest of it was.

What is with these loving barns where you live?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

CPL593H posted:

What is with these loving barns where you live?

There are plenty that suck but it's like the lottery you have to play to win.

That whole green tub in the pic was full of classical/opera and where I pulled the 3 10"lps from.

I'm debating sitting there and checking them all on discogs tomorrow or just saying I will give them $5 for the box and figuring it out once I get home.

Even if the whole tub is trash that zippo set is $350, the masonic chapeau is $250, fez's are $60 each, Kenwood is $100 and the dash clock is $50 according to sold ebay prices so I think I'll be ok.

Edit: they also had an art deco wooden end table with a car style swing out ashtray on the side that I'm pretty sure was way worth way more than the $10 price I want to grab if they still have it.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 18, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s my fave propagandhi record, pretty sure I have that one. But 5,000 miles away ugh.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Speaking of entirely too good deals I got an ebay alert for someone that was selling that mono reissue Sgt. Pepper for 30 bucks. It sold way before I could even check the listing.

pwn
May 27, 2004

There are plenty that suck but it's like the lottery you have to play to win.

That whole green tub in the pic was full of classical/opera and where I pulled the 3 10"lps from.

I'm debating sitting there and checking them all on discogs tomorrow or just saying I will give them $5 for the box and figuring it out once I get home.

Even if the whole tub is trash that zippo set is $350, the masonic chapeau is $250, fez's are $60 each, Kenwood is $100 and the dash clock is $50 according to sold ebay prices so I think I'll be ok.

Edit: they also had an art deco wooden end table with a car style swing out ashtray on the side that I'm pretty sure was way worth way more than the $10 price I want to grab if they still have it.

So you’re just buying stuff to resell it?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

pwn posted:

So you’re just buying stuff to resell it?

I'm a bit of an eclectic collector. If I see something at a Garage Sale/thrift store that I think is neat or I have never seen before at what I think good price I tend to buy it.

I try to pretend it's going to end up like the "Gather Ye Acorns" episode of Amazing Stories. But it's probably going to be an episode of hoarders in 20 years.

Take the zippos, I know a new zippo is $15. I figured 4 for $15 is a deal and grabbed them because I was going to use them until i got home and checked ebay. If I can list them on FB marketplace for $350 and take $300 cash I'm really tempted to..

The only things don't ever intend to sell are, My main Marantz / Ohm combo, my record collection,my gun collection, my camera collection and my 2 harleys. Each are things I want to pass down to my son someday.

Like I said in previous posts my Lp collection is almost all from the last 2 years when I started collecting to play a new record each night for my son.

He got to spin the year of the cat pickup tonight.
https://youtube.com/shorts/gMU5sZl_spo?feature=share

pwn
May 27, 2004

Yeah i feel you, I absolutely would have bought all that poo poo and I don’t even smoke anymore. It’s way easier to acquire neat stuff than it is to let it go.

All that Mason stuff is so cool

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm a bit of an eclectic collector. If I see something at a Garage Sale/thrift store that I think is neat or I have never seen before at what I think good price I tend to buy it.

I try to pretend it's going to end up like the "Gather Ye Acorns" episode of Amazing Stories. But it's probably going to be an episode of hoarders in 20 years.

Take the zippos, I know a new zippo is $15. I figured 4 for $15 is a deal and grabbed them because I was going to use them until i got home and checked ebay. If I can list them on FB marketplace for $350 and take $300 cash I'm really tempted to..

The only things don't ever intend to sell are, My main Marantz / Ohm combo, my record collection,my gun collection, my camera collection and my 2 harleys. Each are things I want to pass down to my son someday.

Like I said in previous posts my Lp collection is almost all from the last 2 years when I started collecting to play a new record each night for my son.

He got to spin the year of the cat pickup tonight.
https://youtube.com/shorts/gMU5sZl_spo?feature=share

Hey before you mentioned that you didn't want to sell that copy of X Los Angeles because you wanted it for your son when he's a teenager. What if I promise to mail it back to you in ten years?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hint: "Barn sales" is one of the words ebayers use so they don't have to specify what their sources are. Dude probably finds estate sales in local papers or something. Hell, a lot of those are actually in barns.

Have to confess I actually bought a couple Rusty Warren records just because I've amassed a large collection of "bawdy songs" albums and Rusty seemed to fit in there. And I don't know if I mentioned it but Catherine O'Hara did a spoof of Rusty Warren in the 80s, back when Rusty was still in living memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liOtOSR_Pp0

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
gimme the operas, barn sale guy

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

Hint: "Barn sales" is one of the words ebayers use so they don't have to specify what their sources are.

Such treachery!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Estate sales are a dime a dozen as well. Then you got your “we’re getting a divorce sales”. I’ve seen one of those in my time in San Francisco. It was always the estate sales though I’d see the same guys coming through for the records. They got a big van, wearing their members only jacket and definitely live with at minimum 8 cats and it always looked like they had been camping out over night. You never had a chance of getting to those in time before they just bought out every box for a flat rate because they’re very pushy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

Estate sales are a dime a dozen as well. Then you got your “we’re getting a divorce sales”. I’ve seen one of those in my time in San Francisco. It was always the estate sales though I’d see the same guys coming through for the records. They got a big van, wearing their members only jacket and definitely live with at minimum 8 cats and it always looked like they had been camping out over night. You never had a chance of getting to those in time before they just bought out every box for a flat rate because they’re very pushy.

This is why I don't bother with yard/garage sales. Since all these jerkoffs want records now you have to get up at the crack of dawn to even have a chance. And I've mentioned this before but there's one specific guy in my area that just constantly goes around buying out flea market dealers and stockpiling the recordsso I'm sure he's probably in the mix.

Remember when this was fun?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

That’s my fave propagandhi record, pretty sure I have that one. But 5,000 miles away ugh.

I never really got into their other albums, but I probably had this one on repeat for 3 months straight in the mid 90s.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Here's my finds from the past week. First was a stack of 45's from Goodwill. Normally they put them out for $1 individually, so I hardly ever look through them. this time they put out two bags of ~25 records for $4 each. So I bought all 50 for $8. Most of them weren't worth anything, though there was some I've been wanting for a while (Fire by Arthur Brown, for one). But there was a surprising amount of valuable ones in there. I've put the discogs low/med/high values for them below each picture.

$5/$13/$30

$2/$15/$30

$48/$130/$208 :eyepop:
^This is the only one in the whole stack that was cracked. :negative:

$4/$12/$20

$20/$26/$34

$18/$30/$60

$59/$95/$175 :eyepop:

$30/$36/$50

Keep in mind these vary in condition a lot. There's no way I would get anywhere near the high values for any of them. Most I would struggle to get the low values at best. But still, it's fun to find 45s in the wild that aren't the standard popular 70s crap.

Then yesterday I hit the garage sales and came away with these late-80s Bose 4.2 speakers. (edit: $20 for the pair)

They sound really good! About on par with my JBL L56's I normally use, except more bass and physically smaller.

Finally, speaking of Zippo things, I got this Zippo "out-a-matic" ashtray for ten cents. It's from 1970 and I have no idea the value because they don't come up for sale often. Seems like they're somewhat sought-after though since they only made them for two years. I just bought it because it was a cool ashtray and only noticed it was Zippo brand when I got home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

pwn posted:

I love blue with yellow record covers. With special guest star red.

I wish I'd not gotten so much glare on this one

Just came in today, forgot I'd ordered it and didn't open it until I got to the beach. Kinda blowing my mind that it got delivered today.

Honourable mention. More "shades of blue and yellow" (and red!) The yellow doesn't show in my piss poor photography but it's there. Funny, whenever I think of this record, I think of BLUE and YELLOW, and it was the first one I went for when I started gathering these.

:nice:

Now go buy this record