Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

StormDrain posted:

I have one minor tweak to the oil cap, I think it should instead legitimately say 710 on it.

Do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

spankmeister posted:

What do you mean by "the amount of throttle provided at idle"? Is this happening when you provide throttle input (i.e. push down on the pedal) but then the RPM's are inconsistent?

Or is it idling and does it surge all on it's own?

In any case this phenomenon is called surging and I _think_ will you meant the latter issue so you can google for "surging at idle".

Yeah, it's the latter. The surge happens without any input from me. "Surging at idle" looks spot on. From some googling it looks like the issue is beyond my pay grade and I'll just bring it to a mechanic. Thanks!

Giganticon
Mar 10, 2010

Pillbug
Tldr: where do you buy tools that they don't sell at chain car part stores.

Hello - I have an old 1970 cutlass supreme SX, I am trying to troubleshoot transmission slipping. It has a turbo hydromatic 400. Luckily I have an old factory chassis service manual that has all kinds of great info, including tons of flowcharts, the first step of each of them is to measure the oil pressure at 1000 RPM and cycle through the transmission settings, then move on to test vacuum etc depending. So even though I don't really know what I'm doing I'm confident and having a good time figuring it out.

I can't seem to find anyone to sell me a pressure gauge that goes up to 165-200 psi. All the gauges I can find at stores top out at 100psi but my book tells me 165psi + is the normal run pressure. This tool can't be uncommon - this seems to be a common GM transmission. Where do you typically buy tools like this? I am in Seattle so I am sure there is a store that has this type of stuff but my web search skills are failing me, looks like I'll have to order something. I guess I could build one with McMaster-Carr parts.

Thanks! This is my first AI post I hope I didn't brake a rule.

Giganticon fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 15, 2021

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Hello car goons!

I'm replacing the right front (passenger side) fender of my 2010 Toyota Camry after it got bent in an accident. I'm unfortunately a total car noob and need help identifying a part.

This appears to have fallen out from behind the fender and I have no idea what it is or where it goes. Googling around I think it might be a fender gusset, per this image:

But I don't know enough about what I'm doing to be 100% sure about this and could use some confirmation from someone who actually knows something about this stuff.

If it helps, I'm following along with this YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/76e0Ps7Q9Zo

But the guy doesn't seem to do anything with this piece so I figure I've done something wrong.

If it's not evident from the pictures, it's made out of black Styrofoam and one side has a bunch of indentations and big R on it. (I know what the R stands for, at least)

Anyway any help is appreciated, thanks.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It's a piece of the styrofoam that backs the bumper cover.

Pitch it & move on.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

PainterofCrap posted:

It's a piece of the styrofoam that backs the bumper cover.

Pitch it & move on.

Thanks! it's good to know I didn't screw something up.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

STR posted:

Am I right in thinking the FPR is bad? Or is this some funky FPR where the PCM can command higher/lower pressure? I know it has wires going to it, but I figured that was probably for the pressure sensor.

When you say FPR do you mean the fuel pump drive module? These are notorious for going bad especially in shity road conditions if frame mounted. PCM can control the pressure. The measuring sensor is seperate.

Anyways, not much help but might be something to take a look at.

Edit: Looks like it is in the trunk under the parcel shelf.

What is the ETC showing in Forscan? Is it coming up to temp? I figure it would be tossing codes but if it never reaches closed loop that might be why. Regardless, the cats must not be happy.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 16, 2021

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I have a 2012 GTI.

Recently the ABS, Steering, Airbag, and tire pressure (blinking) lights came on at the same time (all yellow, no red). Front panel says Fault: Stabilization control and Error: Airbag. Car doesnt feel any different while driving.

From my researching this is possibly a speed sensor or a wheel bearing failure. Tried going to Advance Auto Parts to read the codes to verify but apparently the free scanners they lend you only do check engine lights.

Can I get suggestions of midrange code readers to buy? Trying to look online and its not clear what will read what I need it to and not require some subscription to do it or cost $400. Theres also a ton of manufacturers and I dont know whats considered good.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

latinotwink1997 posted:

I have a 2012 GTI.

Recently the ABS, Steering, Airbag, and tire pressure (blinking) lights came on at the same time (all yellow, no red). Front panel says Fault: Stabilization control and Error: Airbag. Car doesnt feel any different while driving.

From my researching this is possibly a speed sensor or a wheel bearing failure. Tried going to Advance Auto Parts to read the codes to verify but apparently the free scanners they lend you only do check engine lights.

Can I get suggestions of midrange code readers to buy? Trying to look online and its not clear what will read what I need it to and not require some subscription to do it or cost $400. Theres also a ton of manufacturers and I dont know whats considered good.

Carista gives you a deeper look at VAG codes. It's another bluetooth adapter OBD2 thing. You get a week of free 'pro' mode or whatever they call it when you first activate it and it's not that expensive for the adaptor.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Giganticon posted:

I can't seem to find anyone to sell me a pressure gauge that goes up to 165-200 psi. All the gauges I can find at stores top out at 100psi but my book tells me 165psi + is the normal run pressure. This tool can't be uncommon - this seems to be a common GM transmission. Where do you typically buy tools like this? I am in Seattle so I am sure there is a store that has this type of stuff but my web search skills are failing me, looks like I'll have to order something. I guess I could build one with McMaster-Carr parts.

Thanks! This is my first AI post I hope I didn't brake a rule.

No tool exists? make the tool!
Hit up a hydraulic shop. Worst case Grainger or McMaster Carr. Get the gauge and potentially the hose section from them.
There's tons of places to get short sections of hydraulic hose with standard fittings on either end. Tractor supply is one.

Pro mode is to put the gauge on a hydraulic quick connect that way it can be used for multiple duties. Cheap gauges need not apply.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
So, the "lock" and "trunk release" buttons on the key fob for 2005 Kia Spectra haven't worked in like three years. I have no idea why I've never wondered whether this is a solvable problem before now, but, here we are.

I found a replacement key fob on eBay for $30; is it right that I can buy that and bring it to a dealership to get it programmed?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

surf rock posted:

is it right that I can buy that and bring it to a dealership to get it programmed?

Yeah, you might be able to find an independent locksmith that will do it a lot cheaper too, they just need the right software

Some cars can even program their own if you already have a working key through a variety of magic spells so it's probably worth ruling that out

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, usually if you can program your own you need two key fobs that work to do the process. Which usually involves standing on one leg and looking for something to blink on the cluster within a proper 30 second window while a full moon is out.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

KakerMix posted:

You will probably find that when you get a new complete set of tires all the roughness disappears.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Seconding tires. I think you'll be surprised.

Yes it's very much night and day. My car feels brand new, I want to cry I'm so happy right now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Colostomy Bag posted:

When you say FPR do you mean the fuel pump drive module? These are notorious for going bad especially in shity road conditions if frame mounted. PCM can control the pressure. The measuring sensor is seperate.

Anyways, not much help but might be something to take a look at.

Edit: Looks like it is in the trunk under the parcel shelf.

What is the ETC showing in Forscan? Is it coming up to temp? I figure it would be tossing codes but if it never reaches closed loop that might be why. Regardless, the cats must not be happy.

I didn't realize it had a FPDM when I made that post - I honestly didn't even know PWM fuel pumps were a thing. I haven't been able to find it yet, but knowing what it looks like would probably help. :v: I'll try to find a picture. I'm going junkyarding on my next day off anyway, so I can look at some yard cars.

ECT is showing normal, car goes into closed loop fine. There's some wiring fuckery going on in the trunk, but none seems to be going to anything on the shelf (seems mostly to be related to taillights). That said, I changed the fuel filter, and.... I'm wondering if the PCM was commanding high fuel pressure because it wasn't flowing enough? That fucker was CLOGGED - gasmud dribbled out of the fuel pump side when I removed it, and I'm betting it's the original (Motorcraft branding, and just as much grime as the rest of the underbody). The car managed to idle for a solid 5 minutes with the AC on after pulling the fuel pump relay, and I was able to restart it several times. At least in my own experience, if it dies almost immediately, the fuel filter is pretty clear; if it keeps running for awhile, it's clogged to hell.

This pan was clean aside from splash marks before I pulled the filter (it's only been used once, to catch coolant). All of this crap came out of the inlet side:

I let it run with the new filter for about 10 minutes (the engine was already warm from running errands, it went into closed loop almost immediately) - pressure as reported by the PCM stayed at 38 PSI. I know it'll read a little higher than what the injectors see due to the sensor being on the fuel rail right where the fuel line comes in. But 2 injectors are leaking from the upper o-rings, at least 1 (dry externally) has gas in the actual connector, so whenever the fuel pressure issues are confirmed to be fixed, I'll probably grab some junkyard injectors and a rebuild kit for them (or drop the $225 on a brand new set from Bosch). I don't trust them now that I've found gas inside a connector.

The idle is rock solid now too; it wandered +/- about 100 when warm before (noticeable by both the tach and sound). If the pressure shoots up again, I guess I'll add the FPDM to my junkyard shopping list.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 17, 2021

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Here's a fun one. A friend got a box truck with a Maxon liftgate (gravity down) for cheap, but all the liftgate guts are missing. It still has the liftgate itself, hydraulic arms, 24v, and switches. Just the pump box here is missing:

I found the official part online for $677: https://liftgateme.com/products/maxon-liftgate-285203-01-24

My friend only needs to use it occasionally and is wondering if a generic eBay part would suffice, like these for $283: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124007325100

These "single-acting" are $80 less than the double-acting: https://www.ebay.com/itm/184030571337

No idea what the difference is or if either version can actually work as a replacement. They seem to have the same mounting bolt points and connections at a glance.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
General question re suspension stuff. Barring any special application like eccentric bolts for alignment purposes, is there any reason why regular grade 8 nuts, bolts and washers should not be used for fastening suspension components if they meet the proper dimensions (diameter, length etc) as the originals?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

2018 Mazda 3, 14k miles.

My independent mechanic noticed the belt tensioner was leaking a little. I haven't looked at it myself.

The car has a 3yr / 36k mi warranty, and a 5yr / 60k mi powertrain warranty. I have something like 4-5 months of warranty left, or a couple years if this qualifies as a "drivetrain component" (more on that later).

So, I guess my question is, is a tiny leak in the tensioner "broken enough" to take it to a dealer and ask for warranty replacement? Or will they wipe it off and say it's working fine, not broken?

However if this is covered under the 5 year powertrain warranty, then maybe I'll just keep an eye on it for now. Here's what the powertrain warranty covers:

https://www.mazdausa.com/syssiteassets/pdf/brochures/2018/2018-warranty-booklet.pdf posted:

Engine
Cylinder Block, Cylinder Head, and All Internal Lubricated Parts (Piston engines)
Timing gears
Timing chain/belt and tensioner
Timing chain/belt front cover and gaskets
Flywheel
Valve Covers and Gaskets
Oil Pan
Oil Pump
Intake Manifold and Gaskets
Exhaust Manifold and Gaskets
Engine Mounts
Turbocharger Housing and All Internal Parts
Supercharger Housing and All Internal Parts
Water Pump and Gaskets
Thermostat and Gaskets
Fuel Pump
Seals and Gaskets
So timing belt tensioner is covered, but I think we're talking about the accessory belt? (I'm not actually sure). Accessory tensioner isn't on that list, nor are the alternator, a/c compressor, etc. So I'm thinking I have to squeeze this in under the 3yr warranty, not the 5yr warranty, right?

Anyway, I'm looking for strategic advice to getting this fixed for free. Maybe just go in and say "my independent mechanic found a tiny leak, please fix it"? I've never had a car with a warranty before.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

gently caress it, take that poo poo in to the dealer. The
Worst they can say is no. But it's probably covered by warranty.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I really need to get a look at it myself and take some pics, just in case I need to argue persuasively.

e: What symptoms should I be looking for? Maybe belt squeal when pushing the power steering just after a cold start?

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 18, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Don't know for sure, but "Leaking belt tensioner" *should* be covered under your "seals and gaskets" that you listed above.

I guess take a pic/video of the leak?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Oooh, I like it! Obviously some kind of seal failed, otherwise it wouldn't be leaking...engine oil I assume?

I'll still try to get them to fix it now, but it's nice to know I might get another chance under the 5 year warranty.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

ryanrs posted:

Oooh, I like it! Obviously some kind of seal failed, otherwise it wouldn't be leaking...engine oil I assume?

I'll still try to get them to fix it now, but it's nice to know I might get another chance under the 5 year warranty.

Its independent of your engine oil, probably a hydraulic fluid of some kind.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The accessory belt tensioner or the timing chain tensioner?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

General question re suspension stuff. Barring any special application like eccentric bolts for alignment purposes, is there any reason why regular grade 8 nuts, bolts and washers should not be used for fastening suspension components if they meet the proper dimensions (diameter, length etc) as the originals?
Not particularly. Be careful about materials, as well - suspension often puts up with a lot of cycles and vibration, and oxidation is a big issue as well.

I dont think I used any Grade 8 stuff, but there are plenty of McMaster Carr bolts on my Jeep, including in the suspension.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
could somebody please explain the last part of this CarFax to me?

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHisto...UC6J4W5RtriN43E

was this car repossessed by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation and then sold to the Ohio DMV? Should I avoid this car? The price is pretty good (given the times) and the car looks like it's in good shape from visual assessment.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 18, 2021

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Thats the source of information, not who bought it. It was inspected in Ontario, then purchased/registered in Ohio, then sold at auctions.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 18, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Thats the source of information, not who bought it. It was transferred in Ontario, then transferred in Ohio, then sold at auctions

How might it have moved that way? Forgive me, I dont know how the used market works in that area, by which I mean pre-dealer wholesale/etc.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

And, sorry, I clarified some missteps there, but:

I own a car. I get it inspected in Ontario. I sell it to a dealer in Ohio, who registers it, then sells it via an auction house.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Krakkles posted:

And, sorry, I clarified some missteps there, but:

I own a car. I get it inspected in Ontario. I sell it to a dealer in Ohio, who registers it, then sells it via an auction house.

👍

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

How might it have moved that way? Forgive me, I dont know how the used market works in that area, by which I mean pre-dealer wholesale/etc.

Traded in by customer to dealer
dumped at dealer auction > inspection
Bought by used car lot > inspection https://www.autoconnectsales.ca/vehicle.asp?ItemID=357960
Bought by Ohio dealer, titled in Ohio
dumped at dealer auction within 1 month and 9 miles. https://plc.ua/auctions/lot/ford-fiesta-2014-vin-3fadp4gx8em201467-mh-3fadp4gx8em201467/
Now being sold by Used car lot in New Jersey

The Ohio dealer could just be an importer/wholesaler who doesn't bother with sales to end users, but risking the loss by selling it at a dealer auction after importing it seems crazy to me. Ontario also uses an obscene amount of road salt, and that would worry me.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

Bought by used car lot > inspection https://www.autoconnectsales.ca/vehicle.asp?ItemID=357960
dumped at dealer auction within 1 month and 9 miles. https://plc.ua/auctions/lot/ford-fiesta-2014-vin-3fadp4gx8em201467-mh-3fadp4gx8em201467/

The Ohio dealer could just be an importer/wholesaler who doesn't bother with sales to end users, but risking the loss by selling it at a dealer auction after importing it seems crazy to me. Ontario also uses an obscene amount of road salt, and that would worry me.

I just assume then that the inflated cost of everything is bleeding into dealer auctions as well, or maybe circumstances have changed for the Ohio importer or maybe they saw something in the car they don't want to deal with.
Margins are potentially fat no matter what because it's a desired car. :shrug:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Powershift posted:

Does it help that the car got underbody coating/rustproofing at some point? Its in the CarFax.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Charles posted:

The accessory belt tensioner or the timing chain tensioner?

Good point. I was referring to the accessory belt tensioner. It looks like theres a little strut on the thing.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mazda,2018,3,2.0l+l4,3440086,belt+drive,belt+tensioner,11659

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

Does it help that the car got underbody coating/rustproofing at some point? Its in the CarFax.

Depends. If it is the type where the application is sprayed with an oil based method that is done yearly yes it does.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What could I do to confirm if a cv joint is busted? I've had this clicking sound during left-hand turns, it's clearly a speed-dependent clicking and not grinding or scraping:

https://i.imgur.com/cCuhSED.mp4

I can also hear it driving around some curvy rural roads, but then on the roundabout, there was nothing. Yesterday I even came through the very same roundabout from the video, and again, nothing.

The noise also only happens when turning left, never right or when going straight, whether coasting or decelerating. A new joint isn't very expensive but still I'd want to confirm it somehow since it'll be a pretty messy job.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

nitsuga posted:

Good point. I was referring to the accessory belt tensioner. It looks like theres a little strut on the thing.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mazda,2018,3,2.0l+l4,3440086,belt+drive,belt+tensioner,11659

Yeah, that looks like what my mechanic was describing (little strut/shock thing). So it's got it's own tiny reservoir of ooze, it looks like.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
What's the best way to go about selling a car that hasn't been registered in over a year? My sister stopped driving her 1999 Honda Civic because of a lack of available parts for the Takata airbag recall, and now she wants me to sell it for her (she has since moved the car out of state, I have the title but it's still in her name). Also can I get a Honda dealer to perform recall repairs even if the car isn't registered/insured? This is in New York state if it matters.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

DildenAnders posted:

What's the best way to go about selling a car that hasn't been registered in over a year? My sister stopped driving her 1999 Honda Civic because of a lack of available parts for the Takata airbag recall, and now she wants me to sell it for her (she has since moved the car out of state, I have the title but it's still in her name). Also can I get a Honda dealer to perform recall repairs even if the car isn't registered/insured? This is in New York state if it matters.

I doubt a dealer doing repair service will care about either your registration or insurance status. That being said, how are you going to transport the vehicle to/from the dealer?

You can insure a vehicle that is not registered. However I bet if you get into an accident on public roads, they are not gonna cover it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Inner Light posted:

However I bet if you get into an accident on public roads, they are not gonna cover it.

I do not believe this is true. You don't lose insurance coverage because of expired tags.