Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
HP's mechanism is probably the best I've seen; you have a TB3 cable and the tiny barrel jack still as two cables but the connectors are magnetically attached.
You can plug a non-HP laptop into the dock by separating the two cables.

Much better than Lenovo's weird proprietary connector that isn't even TB3, or Dell's double-USB-C that only works on certain models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Yeah usb-c was a loving disaster 2015-2017

I remember referencing compatibity charts between the 5-7 chargers on the market at the time, vs the 6 laptops that actually supported usb-c at the time, mostly as a trial-by-fire novelty, at the time

48v usb-c pd will probably take a couple years to really catch on

I don't think people really appreciate the OG pixelbook, not only was it USB-C PD first and foremost, it strictly used USB-C PD; my 2015 pixelbook power supply works with my wife's 2021 macbook air. I don't think any other charger from that era still works with modern equipment. At the time, manufacturers would not support USB-C power adapters other than the one the laptop came with.

While it didn't affect regular consumers as much, PoE (Power over Ethernet) was, or maybe still is, just as much of a mess.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
poe is pretty ok these days, it's all auto-negotiated so you don't see random poo poo blow up anymore

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

You could say the same about PD though.

If you have a non-workstation laptop that wants 45/65/90W to charge then USB-C is perfectly fine for you.
If you want more than that then it doesn't work at all, charges slowly, or you find the correct device that works for your equipment.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

My old man is retiring and I'm giving him my XPS 13 to replace his work laptop, so I'm looking at a new laptop. I've grown to love 2in1s having used an xps13 2in1. I'm a large bloke though, 1.9m with matching goofy mitten hands, so I'd be really keen on a 15.6" in 2in1. It'd prefer to have a basic dedicated GPU, 1650/3050ti level, for moderate mobile gaming.

Is the Spectre x360 15 the only real premium option in this space? There is only the cometlake model out now but it's apparently EOL with a tiger lake one on the way. A few other 15" 2in1s from the likes of Lenovo are basically 13" specs in a big frame (1165g7) which defeats some of the purpose.

The XPS15 is absolutely killer but only comes in clamshell.

Another comedy option I've looked at is the Asus Flow X13, it's a 14"~ 16:10 2in1 with a 5900hs and 3050ti and a proprietary thunderbolt emulating gpu interface.

Anyone got experience with 15" spectre?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

~Coxy posted:

You could say the same about PD though.

If you have a non-workstation laptop that wants 45/65/90W to charge then USB-C is perfectly fine for you.
If you want more than that then it doesn't work at all, charges slowly, or you find the correct device that works for your equipment.

My XPS 15 wants 130w but games just fine on 100w over tb3/usb-c pd :shrug:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My g15 will game just fine at seemingly full speed when at 100w USB-C charging. It does drain the battery pretty drat fast while doing it though.

forcedstealthlevel
Jun 26, 2021

~Coxy posted:

Yeah, if the USB-C doesn't do DP then there's not really such a thing as a dock.

Lots of gaming laptops won't charge over USB-C though, so you end up with two-cable docking.

There's this on Amazon but I don't know if it's quality and I don't know if this laptop is worth it. I'd still have to plug in this dock along with the power adapter, and it only outputs to one monitor. Bleh. https://www.amazon.com/SIIG-Mini-DP-Video-Dock-White/dp/B01BGLV1WM

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i owned so many USB C chargers for my mid gen refresh 9360 because of how many wouldnt charge it when they should have, or would sometimes charge it but not always. thankfully those days are gone and it turns out i am much more self assured

also once a couple years ago i found somebody that had clearly mislisted a bunch of USBC PD chargers good enough to charge my xps 13 or 15 and 3 periphs like phones...for $6 each

i bought like 8 of them and theyve lasted 2+ years all of them with zero problems lmao

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

BurritoJustice posted:

My old man is retiring and I'm giving him my XPS 13 to replace his work laptop, so I'm looking at a new laptop. I've grown to love 2in1s having used an xps13 2in1. I'm a large bloke though, 1.9m with matching goofy mitten hands, so I'd be really keen on a 15.6" in 2in1. It'd prefer to have a basic dedicated GPU, 1650/3050ti level, for moderate mobile gaming.

Is the Spectre x360 15 the only real premium option in this space? There is only the cometlake model out now but it's apparently EOL with a tiger lake one on the way. A few other 15" 2in1s from the likes of Lenovo are basically 13" specs in a big frame (1165g7) which defeats some of the purpose.

The XPS15 is absolutely killer but only comes in clamshell.

Another comedy option I've looked at is the Asus Flow X13, it's a 14"~ 16:10 2in1 with a 5900hs and 3050ti and a proprietary thunderbolt emulating gpu interface.

Anyone got experience with 15" spectre?

Yeah, the Spectre is probably your best bet. You might want to see if you can hold a Yoga Flex line, I think most of those are 14". I find it much better fit in my hands than a 13" (I'm also 1.9m). There are 15" Yoga (9i I think) but they're pretty rare.

If it has thunderbolt I probably wouldn't sweat cometlake vs tigerlake personally. It's not a big difference.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

forcedstealthlevel posted:

There's this on Amazon but I don't know if it's quality and I don't know if this laptop is worth it. I'd still have to plug in this dock along with the power adapter, and it only outputs to one monitor. Bleh. https://www.amazon.com/SIIG-Mini-DP-Video-Dock-White/dp/B01BGLV1WM

If your laptop has miniDP port then it would probably work to get a DP MST dongle.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-2-Port-DisplayPort-Multi-Stream-Transport/dp/B07575RCQN

Of course then you have three cable docking; power, USB, and DP.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

~Coxy posted:

If your laptop has miniDP port then it would probably work to get a DP MST dongle.

Of course then you have three cable docking; power, USB, and DP.

Is it really Universal serial bus at that point

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

serial rideshare?

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
My $500 Toshiba satellite from 2012 is starting to show it's age.

Looking for a new laptop for school. Aiming for in between 500-1000. Will be doing basic school projects involving word/excel/powerpoint etc. Occasional gaming from emulation (older stuff like NES, SNES, PS1 with some occasional PS2 if it can handle it) to FFXIV.

If I can get a decent one locally from Costco that would be peachy unless there is a reason I should avoid it for PC things.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Kithyen posted:

My $500 Toshiba satellite from 2012 is starting to show it's age.

Looking for a new laptop for school. Aiming for in between 500-1000. Will be doing basic school projects involving word/excel/powerpoint etc. Occasional gaming from emulation (older stuff like NES, SNES, PS1 with some occasional PS2 if it can handle it) to FFXIV.

If I can get a decent one locally from Costco that would be peachy unless there is a reason I should avoid it for PC things.

Might make sense to consider a macbook air given your use case. $800 right now for students, stupid good value: https://slickdeals.net/f/15170593-m...teSearchV2Algo1

Office works on it, Retroarch works on it for emulators, long battery life, silent etc.

If you are insistent on a PC (which is fine, I use only PC at home) then a couple options:

Kinda big screen, but really nice specs: https://www.costco.com/.product.1555448.html

If this Flex comes back up in stock its a really good price for a 2-in-1:
https://www.costco.com/.product.3333555.html

This Pavilion looks ok but not a great value imo
https://www.costco.com/hp-pavilion-15.6%22-touchscreen-laptop---11th-gen-intel-core-i7-1165g7-.product.100699163.html

Not Costco, but this Thinkbook is probably a good deal on the cheaper end
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1642453-REG/lenovo_20v90088us_tb_13s_g2_i5_1135g7_8gb_256gb_w10p_13_3.html

Edit: Btw, some decent laptop deals are starting to show. Off and on from now until Black Friday is usually the best time to find a good laptop deal for anyone itching.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

Lockback posted:

Might make sense to consider a macbook air given your use case. $800 right now for students, stupid good value: https://slickdeals.net/f/15170593-m...teSearchV2Algo1

Office works on it, Retroarch works on it for emulators, long battery life, silent etc.

If you are insistent on a PC (which is fine, I use only PC at home) then a couple options:

Kinda big screen, but really nice specs: https://www.costco.com/.product.1555448.html

If this Flex comes back up in stock its a really good price for a 2-in-1:
https://www.costco.com/.product.3333555.html

This Pavilion looks ok but not a great value imo
https://www.costco.com/hp-pavilion-15.6%22-touchscreen-laptop---11th-gen-intel-core-i7-1165g7-.product.100699163.html

Not Costco, but this Thinkbook is probably a good deal on the cheaper end
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1642453-REG/lenovo_20v90088us_tb_13s_g2_i5_1135g7_8gb_256gb_w10p_13_3.html

Edit: Btw, some decent laptop deals are starting to show. Off and on from now until Black Friday is usually the best time to find a good laptop deal for anyone itching.

Thank you for this. I actually just recently switched from Android to Iphone recently and enjoy it's simplicity. I'm actually considering the macbook. Is there a huge difference between the AIR and the PRO? Everything I've read so far seems to indicate the PRO has slightly longer battery life, brighter screen and the addition of the touchpad thing above the keyboard. Not sure if it's worth the extra 200 dollars or not for similar specs to the AIR.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I'm looking for a laptop for audio production. I haven't owned a laptop in years, and while I have a Surface Pro 6 (and am trying to hold out for the 8), it's just not really what I want for this task.

I've considered the Surface Laptop 4 because I love the 4:3 screen and really don't want to go back to 16:9 or 16:10. They seem pretty expensive, though, and was wondering if there's anything comparable with a similar screen.

I've also considered the MacBook Air. I've never owned a MacBook, but the new M1s are very tempting. I'm just not sure about leaping into a completely new ecosystem.

Aside from audio, it'd get used for basic internet stuff, Office suite, and maybe light gaming.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kithyen posted:

Thank you for this. I actually just recently switched from Android to Iphone recently and enjoy it's simplicity. I'm actually considering the macbook. Is there a huge difference between the AIR and the PRO? Everything I've read so far seems to indicate the PRO has slightly longer battery life, brighter screen and the addition of the touchpad thing above the keyboard. Not sure if it's worth the extra 200 dollars or not for similar specs to the AIR.

Right, that's basically the only difference. Build quality is the same on both, it's not like the pro has a bunch of little things better. For most budget concious people I'd say the air, but you did use your last notebook for 9 years and it wasn't as nice, so...

In general though, using the 2-300 on a nice dock and backpack is probably better in ROI than bumping to the Pro.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Does anyone have any experience with Dell's refurbished batteries? I have an XPS 9360 from 3 years ago which I love but the battery is pretty much shot. I've read online that battery quality is really hit-or-miss unless you buy directly from Dell, but Dell doesn't sell new batteries for this model anymore so I would have to buy refurbished. My hope is to squeeze a few more years out of this thing but I'm worried the refurbished battery might give me problems sooner than I'd like.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Kithyen posted:

Get the 8 core GPU Air if you want to play FFXIV.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

For a student get an M1 MacBook air for $899 with student discount

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I have a 16” MBP and the macOS version of FFXIV was not playable for me due to stuttering on top of low framerates. Maybe they’ve patched it significantly in the last six months since I tried it.

It played fine in Bootcamp but you won’t be able to do that with the M1 chip.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Hi folks, I'm looking into getting a replacement for my X220 that i've been using since ~2011. Its working fine but starting to show its age and I have some changing requirements.

Primary use cases: internet shitposting, netflix, video calls, lightweight video editing, excel & python, and some gaming would be a plus (e.g. Torchlight 2).

Budget: would like to stay under CAD$1K

Size/weight: 15" is a bit too large/heavy for me so I am leaning more towards 13" - 14".

Ruggedness is definitely a huge plus as I expect to be travelling with this machine as with my X220.

I've come across the Lenovo Yoga 6 which is going for <$800 on sale @ BB. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...ows-10/14882495

Any thoughts impressions on this laptop? it's not a powerhouse or anything but seems like it will fit the bill, only thing i don't like is the 8GB of RAM but not sure if thats going to be a big issue. I also really like the option for stylus use as I am trying to find ways to reduce the egregious amounts of paper I use for notes/ideas/working things out.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Fallom posted:

I have a 16” MBP and the macOS version of FFXIV was not playable for me due to stuttering on top of low framerates. Maybe they’ve patched it significantly in the last six months since I tried it.

It played fine in Bootcamp but you won’t be able to do that with the M1 chip.

Googling around points to the M1 being capable of 30-50s FPS in most content except a jam packed city hub, not stellar, but not stuttering.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

SocksAndSandals posted:

Hi folks, I'm looking into getting a replacement for my X220 that i've been using since ~2011. Its working fine but starting to show its age and I have some changing requirements.

Primary use cases: internet shitposting, netflix, video calls, lightweight video editing, excel & python, and some gaming would be a plus (e.g. Torchlight 2).

Size/weight: 15" is a bit too large/heavy for me so I am leaning more towards 13" - 14".

Ruggedness is definitely a huge plus as I expect to be travelling with this machine as with my X220.

I've come across the Lenovo Yoga 6 which is going for <$800 on sale @ BB. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...ows-10/14882495

Any thoughts impressions on this laptop? it's not a powerhouse or anything but seems like it will fit the bill, only thing i don't like is the 8GB of RAM but not sure if thats going to be a big issue. I also really like the option for stylus use as I am trying to find ways to reduce the egregious amounts of paper I use for notes/ideas/working things out.

It's a good laptop for the price (I am not 100% sure on CAD but clicking around seems solid in comparison), but the 8GB soldered RAM is the issue. I don't think that makes it unusable or anything, and I think you are spending 2-300+ for a step up.

I wouldn't call it rugged but it's not fragile. Definitely use a good backpack/case with this.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SocksAndSandals posted:

M1 MacBook air, although I don't know what your Monopoly money is worth this month, might be $100 cad out of your budget

Failing that, another X series

How important is a touchscreen for your poo poo posting

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I would never touch my own posts tbh

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Hadlock posted:

M1 MacBook air, although I don't know what your Monopoly money is worth this month, might be $100 cad out of your budget

Failing that, another X series

How important is a touchscreen for your poo poo posting

Touchscreen is very low on the priority list - i've had them in the past and its next to no utility for me. More of a fun thing. Screen/panel quality is more important

E: CAD dropped quite badly this week so not in a great position atm. I've never owned an apple machine and am hesitant because ~change~ but not completely opposed either if its quality stuff

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

SocksAndSandals posted:

Touchscreen is very low on the priority list - i've had them in the past and its next to no utility for me. More of a fun thing. Screen/panel quality is more important

E: CAD dropped quite badly this week so not in a great position atm. I've never owned an apple machine and am hesitant because ~change~ but not completely opposed either if its quality stuff

They are quality but I think it's a ~$400 CAD uptick (before tax)from the Yoga you posted. It's probably worth the money, but over the budget you listed.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Could I get a price check on a ROG Zephyrus G14 GA401 in new shape but without packaging? It is the maxed out version with a Ryzen 9 4900HS, 16GB ram, RTX 2060 Max-Q, and the WQHD screen. I received it as partial payment for some sidework and I don't have a use for it.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Is it still in warranty?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Could I get a price check on a ROG Zephyrus G14 GA401 in new shape but without packaging? It is the maxed out version with a Ryzen 9 4900HS, 16GB ram, RTX 2060 Max-Q, and the WQHD screen. I received it as partial payment for some sidework and I don't have a use for it.

That's the maxxed out OEM version, some retailers put 32GB of ram or bigger SSDs in, but generally yeah.

A year ago it was 1150.

Looks like Ebay has good condition laptops going for $750-$1000. Without packaging I'd put it closer to the bottom.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=GA401+2060&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Taerkar posted:

Is it still in warranty?

I assume so, I will have to look.

Lockback posted:

That's the maxxed out OEM version, some retailers put 32GB of ram or bigger SSDs in, but generally yeah.

A year ago it was 1150.

Looks like Ebay has good condition laptops going for $750-$1000. Without packaging I'd put it closer to the bottom.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=GA401+2060&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1
Perfect, thank you.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

For payment purposes I'd say $750 but the transaction cost to convert that to cash is probably close to 10% as laptops are notoriously slow to sell. Sounds like you got something that some people actually want but I'd hesitate to accept a higher value than $750, which puts the true cash value at $675

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm not really worried about the value versus the work completed, it was about two hours of development time that I was willing to do for free either way since it was an interesting problem for a company I like. I'll clean it up and list it today :)

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Lockback posted:

Good looking out, I just ordered one. $800 is too good of a deal... and Best Buy doesn't even validate with an EDU email or anything, you just pick your school and enter your estimated graduation date, and also click a sneaky checkbox on the product page to "use student deal".

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I'm looking for a real budget-rear end laptop that will run websites and email and not much else in Windows for a relative.

https://www.costco.ca/.product.1454335.html

Would this work?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

8gb RAM is the new minimum imo especially since there are sites that just love to eat half a gb of RAM on their own.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Arbite posted:

I'm looking for a real budget-rear end laptop that will run websites and email and not much else in Windows for a relative.

https://www.costco.ca/.product.1454335.html

Would this work?

If it's literally just for web browsing and email, and if that email has a web client, then get a chromebook. You can get features like touch screens and invertibility for under $500 USD. edit: They also have android app support, but i barely use that feature so I'm not sure how robust it is.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

halokiller posted:

8gb RAM is the new minimum imo especially since there are sites that just love to eat half a gb of RAM on their own.

Also, for grandma laptops, 8gb can run a lot more spyware before the whole thing falls over and becomes unusable