Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'm working my way through the game, beat the first difficulty a day or two ago and moved on to the DLC, and a Yasakani Magatama dropped out of nowhere so now I'm starting to think about builds a little bit. Right now I kinda tried to stack buffs and health on amrita absorption and I do a lot of that, mainly using the sword. Are there any sets with good low-piece-count abilities I should be on the lookout for while I go through the rest of the DLCs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can't believe the dung guy died after I fed him all my balls

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh doing all the non-DLC missions in 2 was pretty easy compared to the poo poo 1 put you through to do that.

Fitting that I left fighting boar guy again until last....

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Pylons posted:

I'm working my way through the game, beat the first difficulty a day or two ago and moved on to the DLC, and a Yasakani Magatama dropped out of nowhere so now I'm starting to think about builds a little bit. Right now I kinda tried to stack buffs and health on amrita absorption and I do a lot of that, mainly using the sword. Are there any sets with good low-piece-count abilities I should be on the lookout for while I go through the rest of the DLCs?

I was still rolling the Yoshitsune and Servant of the Gods sets with it because I love being a zippy rear end in a top hat and dodge-sliding everywhere in sword low stance while chugging blessed soda.

Untouched Sacred Water is so good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope whoever designed the grab on mysterious warrior monk is miserable for the rest of their lives

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Pushed through the second chapter today and wow, you guys weren't kidding, the snake boss at the end of chapter 1 was way harder than anything in this one. Only had to retry mr. lightning archer once, everything else went down first try. The kamaitachi was a real pushover.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Any ideas why I can’t make Quality Umbracite at the forge? I can make Fabled and Divine.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Calidus posted:

Any ideas why I can’t make Quality Umbracite at the forge? I can make Fabled and Divine.

That's just the way it is :shrug: Maybe so they can still rope people into doing some twilight missions everyday idk

You didn't miss a recipe or anything if that's what you are wondering.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Me after spending two hours trying to kill Benkei now the game wants us to be friends

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Nioh 1 - I'm about level 50 and I think I need to take more careful look at my charms, whatever they are called. I'm a strength and body based character using odachis and spears. What are good stats to look for in charms?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Nioh: I had to book it past a snake with boobs to try to fight a snake with snake arms

Nioh 2: HOW DOES SNEK KICK MY rear end?!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Node posted:

So is this blob in the water that shoots lasers that do 3,000 damage to me an optional superboss or something

It's a really good thing he is a DLC boss, and not a piece of poo poo wall of a boss like in Nioh 1

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Also in Nioh 2 it doesn't suck. It's actually all right.
They obviously saw Umi-Bozu in the first game and thought about how to make it not bad, and they succeeded.

I groaned when I saw that boss arena, thinking I knew what would come but was pleasantly surprised.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is the gong for getting Benkei to help you in that section a bit wonky or can you only hit it after a certain point in the fight?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Sakurazuka posted:

Is the gong for getting Benkei to help you in that section a bit wonky or can you only hit it after a certain point in the fight?

Try using strong attack/Y instead of quick attack/X

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

teh_Broseph posted:

This also applies to the big bells you can hit in the level with axes guy boss.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

teh_Broseph posted:

Yeah you need strong attack, and you can only call down the hellfire the number of giant arrows you've given him. You get another one after you two part ways and can choose to use it to either burn down another barrier (I think) or backtrack and give it to him so he has 2.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

This also applies to the big bells you can hit in the level with axes guy boss.

Was pissed when I finally figured this out. My first time through I thought they looked like something interactable, but all my quick attacks just whiffed on it so I figured they were just set dressing after all :argh:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
It's so hard to unlearn the Dark Souls lesson of dodging if you take a hit. In Nioh 2 you're transfixed while they hack into you! I'm trying to guard more but it's so WRONG.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Sakurazuka posted:

There's a gong?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is "recommended level" significant in Nioh 2? I've done the first two levels and a sub-mission and the nearest RL for something new is four levels above me. I hope grinding isn't a necessary thing here. I've been pretty thorough exploring the levels.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I've never felt it necessary so far to go back and re-do stuff just to level up. Four levels is not a lot, either.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

snoremac posted:

Is "recommended level" significant in Nioh 2? I've done the first two levels and a sub-mission and the nearest RL for something new is four levels above me. I hope grinding isn't a necessary thing here. I've been pretty thorough exploring the levels.

Don't pay it too much mind. It's just supposed to be a rough indicator of a power level. Presumably for people less confident about things.

What's much more important is the five symbols (I think they are supposed to be graves or something?) because they are adaptive. I don't know the exact rules but both your level and your equipment plays a role in how many of those are displayed. And if you beat a, for example, mission with 3 of the things it'll go down to 1 after you beat it. But even that is best seen as just some very rough and unreliable way of telling you how hard something is because what it really boils down to in Nioh, especially early on, is how fast you pick up on the game's systems and how well you use your weapon/s and other tools.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

Don't pay it too much mind. It's just supposed to be a rough indicator of a power level. Presumably for people less confident about things.

What's much more important is the five symbols (I think they are supposed to be graves or something?) because they are adaptive. I don't know the exact rules but both your level and your equipment plays a role in how many of those are displayed. And if you beat a, for example, mission with 3 of the things it'll go down to 1 after you beat it. But even that is best seen as just some very rough and unreliable way of telling you how hard something is because what it really boils down to in Nioh, especially early on, is how fast you pick up on the game's systems and how well you use your weapon/s and other tools.
Thanks. I happened to beat the sub-mission I was four levels below first try (it was a wave battle) so I'm not too worried. I'm surprised the recommended level jacks up so fast though. I dunno how you could meet it without grinding.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Between the amita that you get from killing stuff and your stock of spirit stones, it not uncommon to get a level almost every shrine that you find for a decent chunk of the game. Spend your stones when they can give you that last <20% that you need to level up.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I'm sitting on so many unspent skill points because the ones I want are locked behind the "Way of the Onmyoji" or whatever training missions. Should I just spend them on upgrading the ones I have instead? It feels like forever for these missions to unlock.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I went out of town for a couple days and came home to kill the snake, whom I still hate, but now he's dead

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I'm sitting on so many unspent skill points because the ones I want are locked behind the "Way of the Onmyoji" or whatever training missions. Should I just spend them on upgrading the ones I have instead? It feels like forever for these missions to unlock.

Yeah just spend them, you can respec your skill points for cheap via a button prompt on the dojo mission list so just do that whenever you complete the next dojo mission

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Thanks. Unrelated, but I will never stop being morbidly amused by bow headshots making people's heads literally just fall off. Why's everyone so up in arms about spirit stones when you apparently have the technology to cleave someone's neck right in half from 40 meters?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

God drat this loving demon slayer lady at the start of the second DLC

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Sakurazuka posted:

Minamoto no Raikou is gonna gently caress you up

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Do the bonuses on your equipped but not actively using weapons still function?

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

signalnoise posted:

There's a gong?

It's to your immediate right after dropping into the boss arena. If you don't hand Benkei more incendiary arrows, though, it may not be present at all or only the hanging posts, not the gong model itself, may be there (can't check, at work).

Calidus posted:

Do the bonuses on your equipped but not actively using weapons still function?

The set bonuses do. The others don't as far as I can tell i.e. you can't put elemental accumulation on your inactive weapon and expect it to work with your main weapon that has an elemental imbue.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Sakurazuka posted:

have you heard about vergil from the critically acclaimed Devil May Cry (tm) series

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Navaash posted:

It's to your immediate right after dropping into the boss arena. If you don't hand Benkei more incendiary arrows, though, it may not be present at all or only the hanging posts, not the gong model itself, may be there (can't check, at work).

Maybe because I already knew how to beat the thing I just never even bothered to check. I have given more arrows and had wondered this whole time what they're used for but I guess if you're beasting the gently caress out of the waterboy it doesn't matter

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Navaash posted:

The set bonuses do. The others don't as far as I can tell i.e. you can't put elemental accumulation on your inactive weapon and expect it to work with your main weapon that has an elemental imbue.

Thanks, that lines up with what I thought but I wasn’t really sure.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

It seems like you can accumulate familiarity merely by having a weapon equipped and never using it though, somehow.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Is corruption just purity for non-yokai, as in useless against yokai?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

It is not useless against yokai at all, they just tend to have high resistance to it. But purity is definitely better.

e: Corruption also has a ki-draining effect Purity doesn't.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 19, 2021

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Poison and Purity carried me though NG. No ideal if it actually works in NG+ but poison wrecks poo poo then to top it off you stack up some like +30% damage to poisoned enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Corruption on weapons also gives them a weak ki-leech effect on hit. Purity on weapons gives them a weak ki-refund on blocking.