Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Seems Gigabyte already has released their X570S motherboards.. this white "content creator" X570S Aero G edition looks quite cool.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570S-AERO-G-rev-10/gallery#gallery

They have more models listed in https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Socket-AM4

Chipset fans are a big no no.. I haven't had one in ages and I simply don't want any more of them. If there's one it just means the design is poo poo.. even if they claim it doesn't have to run at least too often.

Those gigabyte mobos also support 11cm long M.2 drives which is good. I have a pcie riser for my 11cm drive because my old Asus board supports only up to 8cm long, so I could get rid of the ugly riser.

Edit: so nice layout too. I hate my Asus boards where they jam fan connectors et. BELOW the cpu cooler - it's impossible to route the cables nicely or even plug it on when the cooler is mounted. Gigabyte has none of that crap.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So these are mostly the same as their regular X570 boards except with shitloads of USB 3.2 slots on the rear i/o?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Yes, and all should be passively cooled. I don't mind them releasing new mobos, since my last AMD board was with X2 4400+ or something.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.reuters.com/business/intel-talks-buy-globalfoundries-about-30-billion-wsj-2021-07-15/

The worst part of all of this is that Mubadala is gonna come up smelling like roses, Intel will just settle the IBM lawsuit to avoid getting into a lawsuit with AMD, the Saudi government will continue to operate on oil money, and nothing will fundamentally change for another five to ten years, because that's how long it's going to take to modernize the facilities.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 16, 2021

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

So will the Zen3+ be the tits? With extra stacked L3 cache on top of the CPU die? Didn't Intel make something similar with a 128MB cache and it was extra good in games.

Depends on the price. The extra L3 won't help much on some of the traditionally CPU heavy tasks and while it will definitely improve gaming performance, it's hard to think of a game where that will meaningfully matter if you're "only" driving a 144hz monitor.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 16, 2021

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Also, 8700K guy, now is not the time to worry about your chip's temperature. Let it hit thermal limits all day!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That's good enough to last until a full hardware refresh with ddr5 memory and multi chip gpus, etc. Hold onto it I say, it's still a blazing fast cpu.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

But what am I going to do with all the money then, if not unsound financial decisions :shepspends:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Ihmemies posted:

But what am I going to do with all the money then, if not unsound financial decisions :shepspends:

Develop a drug habit, or start making espresso at home

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://www.reuters.com/business/intel-talks-buy-globalfoundries-about-30-billion-wsj-2021-07-15/

The worst part of all of this is that Mubadala is gonna come up smelling like roses, Intel will just settle the IBM lawsuit to avoid getting into a lawsuit with AMD, the Saudi government will continue to operate on oil money, and nothing will fundamentally change for another five to ten years, because that's how long it's going to take to modernize the facilities.

Are they buying gloflo to buy the ibm designed so they can produce the ibm designs?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Ihmemies posted:

Find a more expensive but equally ostentatious hobby, like cars or guns

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

wargames posted:

Are they buying gloflo to buy the ibm designed so they can produce the ibm designs?

I mean, if you can obtain captive customers that can't go anywhere else...

But it's more likely they're doing it to get a piece of that 50 billion domestic semiconductor production subsidy as a cheap way to say, "look! we increased our capacity!"

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Nomyth posted:

Find a more expensive but equally ostentatious hobby, like cars or guns

Cars and guns are the usual scapegoats but you need to see the horseposts in the bad with money thread in BFC to truly open your eyes to the possibilities.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
My MSI X470 Gaming Plus really is not up to the task of running anything but the most mild overclock on my 3600x.

Completely expected, but I've always used the cheap MSI or ASROCK boards for my AMD builds and I have actually gotten pretty decent results.

With absolutely 0% technical knowledge, I can say with 100% certainty from sheer intuition alone, that the MOBO matters more for Ryzen overclocking/performance than any other AMD platform (that I've dealt with at least).

I bought the $100 MSI special for my 3600x because everyone told me that overclocking was pointless with Ryzen chips (which it probably is honestly considering I could just buy a 5800x or something) but yeah if you are a nerd looking to push your chip I don't think a passively cooled bus is going to do the job.

With the MSI X470 Gaming Plus I was able to get the base clock all the way up to 4.35ghz 'semi stable'. I say semi stable because after a few hours of regular use or gaming I would get a voltage drop when the temps rose above 75c and windows wouldn't bluescreen but pretty much everything would freeze.

Went ahead and laddered the core multiplayer all the way down to 4.20 before I got an actually stable config.

Again all intuition, but I'm assuming the bus is just getting too hot and super small vdrops are causing issues. Either that or the power traces or whatever on the board aren't beefy enough idk.

Anyways, if you want to overclock your Zen 2 chips don't cheap out on the board! (you already know this but ESPECIALLY for Zen 2).

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Ryzen barely overclocks even in optimal conditions, AMD has them set up to go nearly as fast as they can out of the box, hence why people say not to bother OCing them.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Memory OC and tuning on the other hand...

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ihmemies posted:

Chipset fans are a big no no.. I haven't had one in ages and I simply don't want any more of them. If there's one it just means the design is poo poo.. even if they claim it doesn't have to run at least too often.

this is just like, completely not true lol. Unless you have an open air case that sits on your desk next to your keyboard you'd never know they even exist.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The design is still poo poo and they're still lovely little fans that will fail prematurely. It's a perfectly reasonable thing to hate. AMD deserves to be poo poo on for not doing a better job for x570, even though the platform is perfectly fine.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Seamonster posted:

Yesss

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Seamonster posted:

It seems like this is less important on Zen 3 compared to older Zen CPU's at least. My suspicion would be the unified large cache helps not needing super fast RAM to cover Zen's latency penalties for cross CCX communication. But oh boy, did my 2700X ever love having DDR4 3600 CL14 manual timings paired with it.

But man, RAM overclocking is the most tedious poo poo you can do as an enthusiast PC tweaker. gently caress RAM overclocking.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

K8.0 posted:

The design is still poo poo and they're still lovely little fans that will fail prematurely. It's a perfectly reasonable thing to hate. AMD deserves to be poo poo on for not doing a better job for x570, even though the platform is perfectly fine.

Well they are trying. The X570S is the same chip, but with new "firmware" or something, which allows the chip to run cooler and makes it easier/cheaper for mobo manufacturers to sell passively cooled motherboards.

Sad if Gigabyte's software side sucks. They make cool looking motherboards with good features... At least I haven't had problems with Asus bios.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Gwaihir posted:

this is just like, completely not true lol. Unless you have an open air case that sits on your desk next to your keyboard you'd never know they even exist.

Yeah, if you are hearing impaired. When building a silent system all small fans suck. I almost returned my MSI Tomahawk, but they managed to patch a 0RPM setting in time.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
At the risk of going well over the top in to :goonsay: land, I had a hearing test 3 months ago, had no impariment at all, and in my beQuiet! (I was in fact going for silence with this build) case under my desk the whole system is almost below the room's noise floor with AC on. (I'm in Florida, so that's sorta the default state of things). Without it on, the chipset fan on my MSI x570 is still well below the minimum discernable difference. Like, cmon lol.
It's not like the thing runs at Delta fan RPMs, I've not adjusted anything on my board and it's running at 600 rpm. Does that do much of anything? No, probably not. Does it hurt anything to exist? Also no, not really.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 18, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Some of the X570 chipset fans are much more annoying than others. But it is rational and Good to want to get rid of it if at all possible, regardless.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
having fans on mobos sucks rear end.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/KOMACHI_ENSAKA/status/1415865618553741312

Supposedly these will be Zen 2 based parts that will probably be OEM specific.

4500 will be a 6/6 and 4100 4/8 with no igp. Athlon 4100GE is 4/4 with a Vega 3 igp.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If the 4100 is a Zen 2, 4/8 CPU with no iGPU, wouldn't that make it essentially a refresh of the 3100?

Also, that Athlon looks nice if it ever becomes buyable on the market. I'd love to get my hands on one.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

gradenko_2000 posted:

If the 4100 is a Zen 2, 4/8 CPU with no iGPU, wouldn't that make it essentially a refresh of the 3100?

Yeah the leaked specs are pretty much identical. AMD does have a history of renaming parts so i guess it could be that, or these new Zen 2 Refresh parts might have better clocks or somethin too. Dunno!

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I continue to lol at goons goonin' over something so spergy and stupid as an extra small, controllable fan.

Do you all have your computers situated 4 inches from your head and never wear headphones?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Crunchy Black posted:

I continue to lol at goons goonin' over something so spergy and stupid as an extra small, controllable fan.

Do you all have your computers situated 4 inches from your head and never wear headphones?

Getting derisive toward people who are sensitive to different sound frequencies than you is definitely one of the weirdest things I've seen someone get hostile and ableist about on here, so congrats.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
The last times chipset fans were used (socket 939/775) most of them died early. More than the noise, it's introducing a tiny lovely point of failure a few years down the line, or best case adding a part that needs to be replaced. Even if you want to swap it out for a better chipset heatsink you'll need to deal with the headache of pulling the board.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Just in general, I want as few moving parts as humanly possible, especially if they are in any way audible. If we are talking fans, they should be as big and slow and few in number as possible. Thats been the standard advice for like 20 years. Not sure why thats such a hard thing to grasp, especially if you do things like Zooms on your computer, or have it in a shared living space with someone watching TV... or are a kid with their case inches from their head in a dorm room. I swear to god i think i have some hearing damage from the 60mm Antec fans i took to college.

Maybe this is strange for modern gamers, but i distinctly remember how Intel was derided for the thought of making a CPU fan MANDATORY for the first time, and how we laughed when Canopus stuck a fan on their Voodoo 2s.

So yes, small fans are Bad, and its hardly just a goonsay to feel that way. I would go so far as to say most people would agree with that concept.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I think my old PC's didn't have motherboard fans. Even cpu's didn't have fans. Then at some point manufacturers started to introduce fans. From the beginning I had custom coolers in my K7 500mhz Athlon, I bought a Zalman chipset cooler to get rid of chipset fans.. like this:

I still have it, but I'm not sure if it will fit a new X570 motherboard, or will it be enough cooling for the chipset? Will the chipset cooler be too tall with a RTX 3080 & 2x120mm fans on it?

Eventually in 2008 the problem was finally solved from the factory when my Asus P6T Deluxe had solid heatsinks and heatpipes on the motherboard and VRM's..:

I have hated chipset fans with a passion since I first got my first motherboard with one, and I've actively avoided them since. I see no point in buying something which I simply hate. I'd be wasting my time and money trying to figure out an alternative cooling solution, possibly voiding the warranty etc. It's simply so much easier to leave poo poo products at store shelves and let some other people who don't mind the built-in features buy them.. I definitely don't have to buy products I don't like :v:

Life is easy and simple without chipset fans. Just don't buy motherboards with one. Someone will always make motherboards without chipset fans, so why buy mobos which have one? There's simply no reason at all.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 19, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
The OG Pentium was the first x86 CPU family that really needed active cooling, but I think if you took one of the later P5 optimizations and downclocked them a bit down to the first versions' clock speeds you'd get the same performance as the originals at like a third of the TDP, so you could run them passive at like 5 watts instead of 15.

I don't think I've ever owned a motherboard with a chipset fan, but honestly, whatever. Those little fans aren't really crap or anything, they don't spontaneously detonate like people seem to think they do.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I should check my BIOS settings because I wonder if I inadvertently set the fan curve on my X570 chipset fan higher than it needs to be. I've been wondering why it always seems to be on now, and it may be because I did something stupid.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Ihmemies posted:

I still have it, but I'm not sure if it will fit a new X570 motherboard, or will it be enough cooling for the chipset? Will the chipset cooler be too tall with a RTX 3080 & 2x120mm fans on it?

The existing fan/heatsink nearly touches the video card if you use the first PCI-E slot, at least on the board I just got (X570-Pro). There's no way you'd get anything taller on there. I can't even tell if the little fan is running, and I certainly can't hear it.

I couldn't find a B550 board that guaranteed not to have the broken revisions of the I225-V, and this X570 board was the same price, so if the tiny fan dies in a few years that's okay.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Crunchy Black posted:

Yeah, it's almost as bad as people who tediously smugpost about how inconsequential it seems.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Its a limitation of the platform as it is, currently. Electronics create heat. If that is unconscionable to you, vote with your ears wallet because you're not going to change the BOM of all these motherboards that have already been produced.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 19, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

If we are talking fans, they should be as big and slow and few in number as possible.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to make a gimmick of a single case fan that's as large as the whole side-panel of the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Crunchy Black posted:

Its a limitation of the platform as it is, currently. Electronics create heat. If that is unconscionable to you, vote with your ears wallet because you're not going to change the BOM of all these motherboards that have already been produced.

It isn't really - at least 1 x570 was released with no chipset fan at the $600 price point, and you'll never convince me that was $450 worth of heatsink.

But most of us did vote with our wallets - you're gonna see a lot of b550 over x570 because for most of us no chipset fan is better than pcie4 from the chipset.

Edit: should clarify by "us" I mean those of us who find chipset fans unconscionable for noise or reliability reasons.

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 19, 2021