Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

F6B sale fell through, guy's a racist rear end in a top hat.

Did he arrive on a Nazi bike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Steakandchips posted:

Did he arrive on a Nazi bike?

naw, we talked on the phone and he said he was "getting rid of this jap thing to buy a softail"

Find another buyer, hick

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Slavvy posted:

A basic quick shifter that cuts spark/fuel is upshifts only, downshifts totally manual.

An up/down quick shifter needs either fly by wire, wherein the QS momentarily spikes the throttle to revmatch like a dct/good automatic would, or a retrofitted air bypass that achieves the same thing without moving the throttle.

How well they work varies wildly, my anecdotal experience is they work perfectly when you're giving it death and the slower you go the more useless they are. Because the blipping has to be calibrated to a certain crank inertia and intake design, and those parts are designed to work well in the engine's optimal range, the QS tends to work badly if the engine is spinning slow, or you aren't slowing very aggressively or any number of other subtle situations that don't exist on a race track. You can calculate exactly what the necessary rpm needs to be based on wheel speed and gear position, that's pretty easy, but getting the exact amount of load is hard because it depends on a shitload of variables, and those variables are drastically reduced when you're giving it death.

I found the factory QS on the rsv4rf and the s1000rr circa 2015 were unreliable enough at traffic speeds that I basically used the clutch anyway because sometimes they would just decide not to work and you'd barrel toward an intersection in way too high a gear or whatever. The moment you get on the open road up to a brisk pace they work perfectly (ok the Aprilia didn't but it's an Aprilia). Basically they are a tool for racing that is being marketed as being somewhat similar to DCT/auto functionality and they just aren't.

That vague feeling isn't endemic to fbw throttle, it's just cheapness/lazyness from the car manufacturer. Karen doesn't give a gently caress if her Camry has an accurate or even responsive throttle (arguably most people should have the opposite), plus it's married to a miserable slushy auto, and there's no way to automate programming this stuff, you literally have to drive around with a laptop, carefully smoothing and tweaking the mapping for every possible circumstance, so it's loving expensive and you have to do it for each and every model. Plus the market rewards emissions and economy improvements, not driver control. High performance cars don't feel like that, the old V8 bmw M3 feels exactly like a big raspy bike engine, because that's a market where it's worth spending the money to make it not-poo poo. On bikes not-poo poo throttle response is basically mandatory and attempts to rush things to market get you things like the 690.

Ola posted:

Spark or fuel cut only allows clutchless upshift. The more advanced quickshifters include auto-blipping. It doesn't rev match per se in either case, it just manages the load through the transmission. For any given speed, there is a throttle position, that will make the engine produce just enough power so that there is zero load passing through the transmission, the gears are turning but there is little or no force from tooth to tooth. Below that throttle position, you are engine braking. Above that, you are driving.

If you cut the fuel hard, you will transition to engine braking, but for a split second you will pass through zero load. That's when your preloaded gear lever makes its clunk. On the downshift, if you are engine braking before shifting, the zero load throttle position is above your current throttle position, so the engine needs to produce more power. That's what the blip does. In both cases, the revs are matched by brute force as the drivetrain reconnects.

You can save money and installation effort, or learn the concept of drivetrain load, by doing both with your throttle hand, although a downshift blip feels worse than an upshift cut. I haven't tried this myself, but if you are steady speed and downshifting to accelerate, can't you use throttle cut to downshift?

efb
Good explanations thanks! Only bike I had with quickshift up and down was the 2019 ZX-10. That was my experience too, going at "normal" speeds in traffic it was too inconsistent to bother with, especially trying to use it to downshift at already low RPMs, was nice and smooth when you were really giving it the beans though. And that autoblip was so cool when going fast enough for it to work (I still have trouble manually revmatching on downshifts with any bike, I need to practice a lot more)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m pretty sure there are also much cheaper aftermarket plastics from acerbis and the like

Seconding this.

Quickshifters and DCTs are two sides of the same coin. :unsmigghh:

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

naw, we talked on the phone and he said he was "getting rid of this jap thing to buy a softail"

Find another buyer, hick

Please tell me you strung him along a bit.

“Sorry, traffic, be there in 1hr”

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
haha, not in the scorpion tail pulling business. chatted a bit and he was super firm on the price too even though he dropped it 500 a month ago. anyways i gotta get rid of a car and a ninja before i buy any more poo poo. thats why i wanna do my SM evangelion thing, keeps me busy

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Horse Clocks posted:

“Sorry, traffic, be there in 88 minutes”

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I think this came up a few weeks back but I forgot where; how tight do exhaust header nuts want to be? They're pretty small so I assume the answer is not very.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

haha, not in the scorpion tail pulling business. chatted a bit and he was super firm on the price too even though he dropped it 500 a month ago. anyways i gotta get rid of a car and a ninja before i buy any more poo poo. thats why i wanna do my SM evangelion thing, keeps me busy

Shinji, ride the drat drz!

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

I think this came up a few weeks back but I forgot where; how tight do exhaust header nuts want to be? They're pretty small so I assume the answer is not very.

It's not much, I'd guess somewhere around 5ft/lbs? Typically there is a copper or other material crush washer between the header and cylinder that is very soft it just needs to be tight.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Can I put more adventure oriented tires on my MT03? Pirelli scorpions or the like? I find myself down dirt/gravel roads down here and having a little more stability would be great, although it's fun to float on the dunlops, not like I'm going that fast on the dirt.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Hm.
I was riding the china bike around with a friend.
We got a good two hours in.
The throttle cable broke on it. The crimp end that pulls the carb slide slid off and is in the engine somewhere.
It is maybe 1.5mm^2 in size.

How bad is it for the engine?
Ugh.
It's been running and I can't do anything about it anyway.

Has anyone ever had that happen?

Got home by raising the idle super high.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 19, 2021

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Hm.
I was riding the china bike around with a friend.
We got a good two hours in.
The throttle cable broke on it. The crimp end that pulls the carb slide slid off.

Do you mean the barrel on the end of the cable, like it detached from the cable itself? It's gotta be long gone, on the side of the road somewhere.

So this is an interesting one, some GL1100 carbs have pressed in pilot jets which sucks for a variety of reasons. The parts wing won't start (I've never seen it run) and symptoms were pointing at clogged pilots so I pulled the carbs and sure enough, they're pressed in. I was able to get them out and they're fully clogged. Boiling them now to see if I can clear them. However even if that works I had to EZ out them so they're no longer exactly pristine. I don't even see replacement jets for it. Not sure what to do here if I can't make the old ones work.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It sounds to me like this "china bike" (Baodiao BD125, from your other posts?) has a carburetor where the cable directly actuates the slide, rather than the kind with a throttle plate. Google suggests this is it:

In that case when the ferrule popped off of the cable it would have ended up inside the carb somewhere, perhaps inside the venturi where it could get into the engine. I saw your post before the edit and it isn't going to be inside the sump or anything. The places the ferrule could be are:

- rattling around inside the airbox
- stuck in the carburetor
- stuck in the intake tract, unable to get past the valve
- inside the cylinder
- in the exhaust tract or muffler
- on the road after being ejected out the exhaust.

If it's 1.5mm on a side I bet it just went in and straight back out the engine and it's gone. I don't know exactly how much the valves lift in a 125 like that but I bet it would fit.

To be sure, though, I would take off the carburetor and shake it out, then poke around inside the intake tract to see if it's in there, then take out the spark plug and look inside the cylinder with a flashlight while turning the engine over. If you don't see it in any of those places, I wouldn't worry about it.

Slavvy is gonna show up soon to berate you for getting a Chinese motorcycle where these things happen within hours of purchase.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 19, 2021

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Its gone in the wind. Go get a screw on ferrule. Use loctite on the screw.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Yah, it's gone gone. Not in the carb. That was the first thing I checked.
I have a scope camera. I guess I could check the cyl.
Just wondering if it is worth looking for, if I should even stress about it or if it is kinda normal. I can't find where anyone is even asking the question - just seeing similar things happen to others and people asking where to buy a new cable but not worried about engine health.

I don't need it. Was just worried about engine health.

Sagebrush posted:

Slavvy is gonna show up soon to berate you for getting a Chinese motorcycle where these things happen within hours of purchase.

Oh there was much worse than that on that bike. I posted a thread with everything that was whack. It didn't run for more than a few minutes at a time out of the literal box.

It's my second bike haha. I am finding myself on the Chinese bike sometimes more than the Kawasaki if I am just riding around town, it is fun to ride because it handles really extremely.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 19, 2021

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Does it still run? It didn't ingest it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

Do you mean the barrel on the end of the cable, like it detached from the cable itself? It's gotta be long gone, on the side of the road somewhere.

So this is an interesting one, some GL1100 carbs have pressed in pilot jets which sucks for a variety of reasons. The parts wing won't start (I've never seen it run) and symptoms were pointing at clogged pilots so I pulled the carbs and sure enough, they're pressed in. I was able to get them out and they're fully clogged. Boiling them now to see if I can clear them. However even if that works I had to EZ out them so they're no longer exactly pristine. I don't even see replacement jets for it. Not sure what to do here if I can't make the old ones work.

You can get those, just not from Honda. Look for Keihin/mikunis spares, forget the goldwing part.

cursedshitbox posted:

Does it still run? It didn't ingest it.

You'd be surprised. I've seen a 10mm nut make it through an rmz450 and out the other side without hurting anything.

My bet is it's almost certainly gone through and out the exhaust. If the object is light and small and has no momentum it's not likely to gently caress anything up unless you get really unlucky and it jams a valve at just the wrong moment. I wouldn't bother looking for anything, if it runs fine it will continue to do so until the next thing breaks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I am still pretty set on getting a lovely small bike to bang around in a parking lot and it looks like right now a CBR125 is still cheaper than most lovely Chinese import bikes shipped to Canada so I think I'm going to dodge that bullet.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

Can I put more adventure oriented tires on my MT03? Pirelli scorpions or the like? I find myself down dirt/gravel roads down here and having a little more stability would be great, although it's fun to float on the dunlops, not like I'm going that fast on the dirt.

Missed this. Yes you certainly can, the scorpion is a fine tyre but for what you're describing I would go for a conti gravel attack. You will get a small improvement with a gravel/adv lite tyre over street rubber from the deep cut-out tread, but it will still behave like a normal tyre on pavement. There is nothing stopping you from going to a more aggressive tread like tkc 70/80, shinko sr's, anakees or whatever, but note that longevity drops off a cliff and pavement handling is noticeably worse. But if you're getting that involved you're better off parking the mt03 and just getting a dr650 or whatever.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

You can get those, just not from Honda. Look for Keihin/mikunis spares, forget the goldwing part.

Nice. Do they just press right in? I've done a couple heat/blast cycles with these old pilots and they are not coming clean. Would have been impossible to get them clean without removing so that makes me feel better.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

You'd be surprised. I've seen a 10mm nut make it through an rmz450 and out the other side without hurting anything.

I like to think this is what it felt like to be that nut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ6QLdkdkIw

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Martytoof posted:

I am still pretty set on getting a lovely small bike to bang around in a parking lot and it looks like right now a CBR125 is still cheaper than most lovely Chinese import bikes shipped to Canada so I think I'm going to dodge that bullet.

If you can actually get a CBR125 there and actually cheap I am kind of jealous. I don't even think they are here in the states. Did the border ever re-open? Hell I kinda wanna import one now. I remember seeing a blurb about Canadian inspections being ok to import a vehicle.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Depends on what you mean by actually cheap. I'm seeing them go anywhere between $1300-1500CDN in good condition (obviously the seller's sentiments, not mine, I haven't looked at any yet). It changes day by day. Right now I don't see much below 1500 and hitting up to 2500 which is too much for my blood, but every few days I see these drop under my maximum of roughly 1500. Buying used probably has its own pitfalls but still..

Chinese bikes seem to go for more than that new but somehow I'd still trust Honda to put out a better lovely beater bike. CBR125 also seems like one of those bikes that no one actually keeps for a long time, even more so than Ninja 250s etc.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Strife posted:

I like to think this is what it felt like to be that nut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ6QLdkdkIw

POV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8dKh0bGRD8

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

everyone always posts that screencap but I think the best part is seconds later, when the manifold becomes so pressurized that all the bolts and washers shoot out of the floor and the car's belly pan drops out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IXg-9tKZek&t=225s

:allears:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Russian Bear posted:

you may. shinko 705s are cheap and way better than they have any right being on dirt / gravel. highly recommended. excellent on road too for being a 70/30 tire

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

right arm posted:

you may. shinko 705s are cheap and way better than they have any right being on dirt / gravel. highly recommended. excellent on road too for being a 70/30 tire

705's on my DRZSM here and I adore them. My only sorrow is that they don't make a rear wide enough that I can put them on the FZ1.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

705's on my DRZSM here and I adore them. My only sorrow is that they don't make a rear wide enough that I can put them on the FZ1.

lol yeah sorry I am perpetually stuck on dirt bike tire sizes :D

e: looks like the TKC70 comes in a 180. 705s and dunlop trailmaxes are 170 at the biggest unfortunately

right arm fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 20, 2021

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Martytoof posted:

Buying used probably has its own pitfalls but still..

The usual PO fuckery, but the ace thing about 125s is that original parts are incredibly cheap so they're relatively inexpensive to restore to mint condition compared to bigger bikes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m really doing work here to find some way to mount folding puig or rizoma or something footpegs to my new rearsets but all their stuff is just designed for “here is a folding footpeg that fits into your existing folding footpeg slots”. There doesn’t seem to be an adapter that lets you just bolt a folding mount to any flat surface using an 8mm bolt. Is this kind of the state of things or does anyone know of a product that would work to accomplish what I’m looking for?

I’m not bawling because I can’t find folding footpegs but my bike storage situation is temporarily sort of tetris-like for unavoidable reasons for the next few months. When I roll the bike into the garage it’s parked at an angle next to a table and when I roll it in the footpeg sometimes catches on a table leg. The old pegs just gave way with a bit of a thonk but these new ones require some shuffling around.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Do standard bike chains get dirty quickly compared to X ring or O ring?

I have one bike with an O ring. It will stay clean for several hundred miles. The bike is kinda high up. The chain sparkles and is quiet.

I have a smaller bike with standard 428. I literally put 60 miles on it and the chain is like black, sticky, kinda noisy again.

I am wondering if I need to soak the standard chain.
Is it reasonable to like swap chains and always have a clean one handy?

Or should I just ride and not worry about it - do standard chains just run messy?

I don't want to jack the bike up and like run cleaner, penetrant, wax every ride. How should I be maintaining a standard chain?

I think the chain wax is just degrading and it's not sealed so it's just mixing with whatever is in between the rollers.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 25, 2021

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Do standard bike chains get dirty quickly compared to X ring or O ring?

I have one bike with an O ring. It will stay clean for several hundred miles. The bike is kinda high up. The chain sparkles and is quiet.

I have a smaller bike with standard 428. I literally put 60 miles on it and the chain is like black, sticky, kinda noisy again.

I am wondering if I need to soak the standard chain.
Is it reasonable to like swap chains and always have a clean one handy?

Or should I just ride and not worry about it - do standard chains just run messy?

I don't want to jack the bike up and like run cleaner, penetrant, wax every ride. How should I be maintaining a standard chain?

I think the chain wax is just degrading and it's not sealed so it's just mixing with whatever is in between the rollers.

The most important part of chain maintenance is the tension; being too tight or flapping around will kill it much quicker than a bit of slime. Unless you have a desert bike getting repeatedly full of sand and grit don't worry about your chain being yucky for a bit (cleaning is still good). Changing chains all the time would be massive overkill and likely to fatigue the clip into failure after a while

It's conceivable that the regular chain is less likely to have a hardened coating which doubles as a less sticky surface for things to adhere to. O Rings also have sealed joints which keep grease better, and perhaps being better generally they shed dirt more through movement? Is the o ring chain bigger, with larger voids?
More likely is that the configuration of height, chain guard, wheel and maybe some unconscious riding condition bias means one stays cleaner

Also maybe ditch the standard chain when it's time, technology has moved on quite a bit

E: I just realized this the China bike chain. Replace it pretty soon, even a cheap unbranded DID will be better. The OEM will be the absolute bottom of the barrel in terms of quality

Shelvocke fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 25, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Standard chains are doomed to fail unless they're in an enclosed case, in which case they suck a bit less. Just get an o-ring chain.

The wax is to protect the o-rings and keep everything from grinding itself into dust, the grease contained by the o-rings is the lube that bears the load. On a standy you have to manually administer this lube and the moment you stop, it's hosed! So do the maths and get an o-ring chain.

Lube it every couple of weeks if you ride daily, less if less and more if more. If you get it really filthy and gravelly and whatever, you can use o-ring safe chain cleaner or a rag soaked in kerosene to clean it, then another rag/time to dry, then lube. It pays to clean the inside of the chain cover once in a while too.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I just got some nice sealed D.I.D. chain for the bike, thanks.
Yeah I am not doing that 3 can maxima chain care thing twice a week on the standard chain any more. It doesn't even feel like the wax is good for it.

I'm just gonna start spraying it with wd40, wiping it with a rag, and throwing some gear oil or spray chain lube on as quick as possible until the new chain comes in.

The 3 can thing works great on sealed chain.

Edit: Yeah the maxima wax is not working at all on the standard chain. The chain was so tight this am, and like frozen. I was like what the gently caress I _just_ adjusted it. Cleaned it with WD40 and lubed it with gear oil. Slack came back. I'm pretty sure the chain is like freezing.

No more wax or cleaners for this chain. Just wd40, rags, and gear oil. Can't wait till the new chain comes in.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 25, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Probably super simple but I know nothing about Indian bikes. Can anyone ID this? I couldn’t find the owner to ask them about it but it’s gorgeous. Looks maybe like a Bobber with some different bits?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Indian Scout Bobber.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I just got some nice sealed D.I.D. chain for the bike, thanks.
Yeah I am not doing that 3 can maxima chain care thing twice a week on the standard chain any more. It doesn't even feel like the wax is good for it.

I'm just gonna start spraying it with wd40, wiping it with a rag, and throwing some gear oil or spray chain lube on as quick as possible until the new chain comes in.

The 3 can thing works great on sealed chain.

Edit: Yeah the maxima wax is not working at all on the standard chain. The chain was so tight this am, and like frozen. I was like what the gently caress I _just_ adjusted it. Cleaned it with WD40 and lubed it with gear oil. Slack came back. I'm pretty sure the chain is like freezing.

No more wax or cleaners for this chain. Just wd40, rags, and gear oil. Can't wait till the new chain comes in.

Chain wax will feel stiff until the chain's moving, especially in cooler weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I don't miss chain maintenance.