Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Steam version of RetroArch only has a subset of the cores (licensing difficulties?) so in some cases it might be preferable to install it manually

The set of cores they are launching with looks pretty well rounded though

Mupen64 Plus Next (N64)
Kronos (Saturn)
PCSX ReARMed (PS1)
Stella (Atari)
SameBoy (Gameboy)
mGBA (GB/GBA)
Mesen (NES)
Mesen S (SNES)
Genesis Plus GX (all sega 8/16bit stuff)
Final Burn Neo (arcade)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Yeah, I want a machine to double dip with Retroarch AND stuff like Blaster Master Zero, Panzer Paladin, Crypt Stalkers, etc that is around $200. That would be my personal "gently caress around" price point for that kind of machine.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Mozi posted:

Fairly early, so for now no harm in hoping this is the case! It did say Q1 2022 originally but maybe I got bumped up somehow...

I think this may be a fair assumption because I ordered 58 mins in and had a Q2 date; your post prompted me to check and I now see a Q1.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I just realized that this is a PC with a touchscreen and I might be able to play osu on it, cool.
I didn't want to bother trying it out with mouse or drawing tablet controls.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

LordAdakos posted:

I don't know about this. On one hand, it looks super loving cool. On the other, steam has kind of a shoddy track record with hardware. Steam controller was fairly meh imho, steam link was also fairly meh, and they ended up dumping stock for a buck each, and wasn't there a steam box that was a rebranded lovely computer?

Software wise, still waiting for half life episode 3. I know this is a joke by now but steam and google seem to have a lot in common when it comes to customer service.... They both don't give a poo poo. Google kills products left and right, steam/valve just can't seem to finish a trilogy or have long term support for their IPs that don't involve some gimmick (Half Life Alyx anyone??)

I'll give it a year or two or three and then I'll look into it when it's a more mature system.... Or maybe I'll pick one up for a buck when they move onto the next big thing.

Your ignoring both the Index and Half-Life Alyx. I get that you're biased, we all are, but your also being super old-man typical.
Valve is Valve but saying VR is a gimmick is the biggest tell cause you're straight up incorrect, sorry. Alyx is fantastic, VR is real and here forever. Maybe the Deck will suck and burn, so be it.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

VR is a gimmick that will never succeed until it comes in the box of a new console

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Dramicus posted:

Retroarch is currently in development for steam / close to being released. So the steam deck should be able to completely replace that category of device, well at least when it comes to performance. pocket-ability is another story.

Performance is the easy part. They aren't low power devices for any reason other than that's what let's you make things cheap and small.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'd hop on this if I didn't have a Switch and a very recently upgraded PC.

Though I hope it's a huge success and they make a gen 2.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

grieving for Gandalf posted:

VR is a gimmick that will never succeed until it comes in the box of a new console

Unfortunately for all of us that's called the Oculus Quest.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

VR is a gimmick that will never succeed until it comes with a bigger house

Ftfy

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Dramicus posted:

Well from what I've read, Valve has decided to open up the "Steam OS" of the deck for anyone to use. So in theory any of the companies making similar devices like the GPD win or whatever could put out steam deck clones if they wanted.

"Open up" isn't quite right since SteamOS is basically just a Linux distro you can download and slap on any PC and has been since its inception.

I wouldn't recommend it though, because it is a bit outdated by now and you can just use a normal distribution and install Steam on it.

SCheeseman posted:

Proton is a lot of things mushed together.

At it's core it's a custom version of Wine inside a container (sort of like a Virtual Machine) that's designed to allow for the seamless launching of games from Steam. But it can work independent from Steam too, there's a Linux program called Lutris that makes it relatively easy to set up and use.

Proton isn't using containers (yet), it's just wine with custom patches, some tooling, and dxvk (a translation library for d3d9, 10, 11 to Vulkan)

Valve has been talking about sandboxing all games on Linux though, and that would include games running through proton. It would solve a bunch of compatibility issues with old games, especially those that use system libraries for some insane reason. It just isn't there yet. It's under active development and I guess may debut on the Deck? https://gitlab.steamos.cloud/steamrt/steam-runtime-tools/-/tree/master/pressure-vessel

And Lutris removed their proton support for some insane reason. It has its own custom wine builds which as far as I can tell include a bunch of Proton patches. But that's a :can:

e: Actually, I think pressure vessel is in the beta right now, but you have to force its use.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 19, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

I think it's funny that people still have this idea in mid 2021. It's niche and increasingly not niche only because of Facebook so I find that disturbing for the future of the ecosystem as someone who enjoys PC vr.

That said:

https://www.roadtovr.com/monthly-connected-headsets-steam-3-million-march-2021/

Note that Valve's numbers only indicate ~30% Oculus; this is not counting anyone with a Quest/Quest2 who has never used it on Steam, which is probably the majority of the Oculus userbase at this point. It also doesn't include, obviously, the ~5m PSVR units.

https://www.roadtovr.com/quest-2-unit-sales-estimate-psvr-unit-sales/

Oculus sold 2-3 million Quest units in Q4 of 2020 alone (https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/w...0VR%20headsets.)

Adding all this up we're looking at more than 10 million more or less modern HMDs out there, with numbers that are mostly linearly increasing and therefore a majority of these purchases have happened in a relatively short timeframe.

For reference, 85.7 million switch units were sold in all regions by the end of Q1 2021. So, the adoption of the most popular HMD is only around 7% the adoption of all Switches, but the total number of HMDs out there is less than an order of magnitude off from the switch.

VR is here to stay based on these numbers alone, at least for some significant period of time, and to those of us using it on a regular basis the only confusing thing about this is that it's a shock to a lot of people. Come on down to the VR thread, the amount of stuff that already exists or is in development might surprise you :)

I don't know how much I buy this, either. We have 4 people living in this house and I have to confine almost all my insane bullshit to one bedroom. Granted I set it up with VR in mind, but this space is only marginally larger than what Google tells me the average American bedroom size is, and I also have my full work setup and desk as well as a rack of music gear in here, not hard to find a 5x7 plus space.

:flame: :flame: yes I like RGBs more than a boomer should

edit: once I have a steam deck I will absolutely be tethering my G2 to it if this is achievable without a dock; I expect it will be totally fine for any Quest2 compatible title, with some significant ratcheting down of detail level. Also might need to go to a powered USB hub, depending on how the USB-C port works in terms of being able to deliver 100% of spec.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 19, 2021

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

There is no bed in that bedroom -- of course it has free space.

Also cats care not whether your attention is occupied. They'll walk up and under your foot with little warning.

Ditto the dog except she's easier to hear coming. Unless of course my ears are somehow covered...

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

JazzFlight posted:

I just realized that this is a PC with a touchscreen and I might be able to play osu on it, cool.

Wait, where did they say this? 'Cause that's a big WANT for me too.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJoUs0pM4GU&hd=1

New IGN video. Not much in the way of new info here, but interesting to see how much they are hammering home, "This is not a subset of the Steam library, you will be able to play everything".

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Wait, where did they say this? 'Cause that's a big WANT for me too.

Say what, touchscreen? It's there on the official specs sheet

I would assume it just maps to mouse input by default so OSU should just work

Speaking of the specs they updated them again, it now says the dock has a 90 degree USB cable rather than the jank straight one in that preview video

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I am still very sceptical of that definition of "everything".

But the number of games that don't work ootb right now is relatively small, multiplayer games excepted.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Raffles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJoUs0pM4GU&hd=1

New IGN video. Not much in the way of new info here, but interesting to see how much they are hammering home, "This is not a subset of the Steam library, you will be able to play everything".
Ooh, thanks for pointing out the new video. The way they dive into the suspend/resume functionality is nice to hear. I'm so excited for this drat thing that I will watch and read any kind of substantive content that comes our way. I'm delightfully surprised that even The Verge was posting articles about it over the weekend.

oversteps fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 19, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I'm happy for KDE by the way., they've been working on that desktop environment for a very, very long time.

I would've expected Valve to use Gnome instead because it is a lot more restrictive, but I guess they are just leaning into the power user demographic or want people to have a fairly familiar Windows-y desktop.

Here's hoping some people stick with KDE Plasma.

(As a comedy option, with an Android phone you could use the phone as a touchpad for the Deck or answer SMS from your Deck :v:)

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

repiv posted:

Say what, touchscreen? It's there on the official specs sheet

I would assume it just maps to mouse input by default so OSU should just work

Speaking of the specs they updated them again, it now says the dock has a 90 degree USB cable rather than the jank straight one in that preview video

I know OP wanted touch instead of mouse input, but wanted to point out that the touchpads are usually a better mouse input than a mouse for simple navigate to point and click. Source: me with all my laptops.

Joysticks are a lovely mouse replacement, not so those touchpads.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

But if you want the pared down experince then just buy a switch, they are much cheaper

I think depending on how many games you plan on buying, a big steam sale would more than make up the price difference. I already have like 600 games on steam so I will never be able to match that with a switch either.

So psyched to play half life 2 in my closet.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

KakerMix posted:

Your ignoring both the Index and Half-Life Alyx. I get that you're biased, we all are, but your also being super old-man typical.
Valve is Valve but saying VR is a gimmick is the biggest tell cause you're straight up incorrect, sorry. Alyx is fantastic, VR is real and here forever. Maybe the Deck will suck and burn, so be it.

taking 5 years to find three million people with a wholeass Gaming Room and a thousand bucks to blow doesn't really indicate that VR's about to take the recession-wracked world by storm, imo; but I guess if technophiles were willing to confidently declare that it'd be taking over the world any day now and anyone saying otherwise was a dumb luddite back when VR meant two eight-pound CRTs strapped to your face why should the barriers to entry matter now

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 19, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The difference between 2004 and now is that the tech works, has a sustainable market, and comes in a lightweight standalone form factor for three hundred bucks.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I really hope the Steam Deck lets you super easily wirelessly connect multiple Decks together in a way games will recognize as a LAN. It would be a shame if you could only do multiplayer on a portable machine when connected to a router.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pseudorandom name posted:

None of that kind of infrastructure exists on Linux.

Which infrastructure? I don’t mean the GeForce Experience application itself, but rather just having canned settings that match the Deck’s capabilities, which can be dropped into the config location as defaults.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Gutcruncher posted:

I really hope the Steam Deck lets you super easily wirelessly connect multiple Decks together in a way games will recognize as a LAN. It would be a shame if you could only do multiplayer on a portable machine when connected to a router.

I'd be shocked if anyone didn't put this together seeing as it takes like 5 minutes to set a WiFi card to broadcast mode in Linux

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

VR is a gimmick that will never succeed

People have been saying this for the past six years lol

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

taking 5 years to find three million people with a wholeass Gaming Room and a thousand bucks to blow doesn't really indicate that VR's about to take the recession-wracked world by storm, imo; but I guess if technophiles were willing to confidently declare that it'd be taking over the world any day now and anyone saying otherwise was a dumb luddite back when VR meant two eight-pound CRTs strapped to your face why should the barriers to entry matter now

this is a bad take. I don't have a gaming room, I have an office which I arranged to have 3 desks, 3 complete computer workstations with a total of six monitors and a synthesizer setup and yet still managed to pretty trivially find room for a 5x7 space in. Also your $1000 is off by more than a factor of 3* and despite my dislike of Facebook they are definitely helping push both things.

If you're happy with a Quest 2, then the barrier to entry is literally identical to buying a switch: spend $300, sign up for an account, pay for games, play games. I had plenty of fun with my Rift S in a much smaller space before I had this room set up "properly", you don't actually need much space for beat saber and similar.

the oculus CV1 weighed 1 pound; the quest 2 weighs about the same despite being wireless, and the g2 weighs similar. The basic weight and form factor of these things has not actually changed in the way you are implying; they never weighed that much and weights also have not come down that much.

Also, where did anyone say this was "taking the world by storm"? Someone called it a gimmick and I said it was a niche product but one that has seen a massive uptick in adoption during the pandemic recession, and even if it is niche there are ~15% the number of modern HMDs out there as there are Nintendo Switches. That's not nearly the same as "outsold the Switch!" but it also appears to be a significant trend.

The numbers are what they are; if you don't care about VR, or think you might but just not enough to move where your desk is, then.... don't spend money.

Assuming it's possible I think it will be fun to gently caress with VR on the steamdeck. Prolly do Zen VR poo poo in the woods and stuff and feel ridiculous.

* my own setup is clearly a lot more expensive than that, but, the delta between "people who play VR" and "people who feel a need to play DiRT RALLY in VR with force feedback and pedals and also a HOTAS because why not" is a pretty big gulf. People like me are a niche minority and I expect that to stay true until the tech massively improves

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 19, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
vyery funny the guy in na im guessing not understanding how the space requirements are very large for most places lol

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Stux posted:

vyery funny the guy in na im guessing not understanding how the space requirements are very large for most places lol

I don't think it's unfair to say this is still a predominately NA based forum, and I very explicitly provided numbers based on the size of an american bedroom. However, I have friends who have been doing VR in their tiny rear end apartment rooms that also contain all their other poo poo for a couple years, sometimes they bitch about hitting walls but they love it and one of them is much, much, much better at beat saber than I will ever be.

Based on the way I had my first VR setup done: with a normal PC space I can play seated games just fine. With a 4x4 space I can play most stuff like Beat Saber fine. Yeah, with a space that small, stuff like Alyx is a chore, granted, but rhythm games and art apps and basically everything else I played was fine. I redid the space when it was convenient, and with Alyx in mind specifically, it's the only game I have where it's mattered much.

Also UK bedrooms appear to be ~90% the size of US on average.

If you don't have a dedicated office / gaming space and you are cramming your gaming into some other space, yeah, VR is going to be shittier but I don't think that issue is specific to the US (or to VR, VR just imposes additional hurdles). Likewise, if you can dedicate a room to "computer things", then finding a ~5x5 space to do reasonable VR seems quite doable even if you're someplace that overall has smaller real estate than the US.

The strongest statement I've made is that VR has moved from "gimmick" to "niche market that's growing fast", and also that a normal US bedroom, if it is set up as an office with VR in mind, can trivially provide a 5x7 space. I don't see what's controversial there, I've cited all my sources, and I think that something which has ~8% the market share of the Switch, a massively popular thing, cannot be dismissed as "gimmick".

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 19, 2021

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Cabbages and Kings posted:

this is a bad take. I don't have a gaming room, I have an office which I arranged to have 3 desks, 3 complete computer workstations with a total of six monitors and a synthesizer setup and yet still managed to pretty trivially find room for a 5x7 space in. Also your $1000 is off by more than a factor of 3* and despite my dislike of Facebook they are definitely helping push both things.

If you're happy with a Quest 2, then the barrier to entry is literally identical to buying a switch: spend $300, sign up for an account, pay for games, play games. I had plenty of fun with my Rift S in a much smaller space before I had this room set up "properly", you don't actually need much space for beat saber and similar.

the oculus CV1 weighed 1 pound; the quest 2 weighs about the same despite being wireless, and the g2 weighs similar. The basic weight and form factor of these things has not actually changed in the way you are implying; they never weighed that much and weights also have not come down that much.

Also, where did anyone say this was "taking the world by storm"? Someone called it a gimmick and I said it was a niche product but one that has seen a massive uptick in adoption during the pandemic recession, and even if it is niche there are ~15% the number of modern HMDs out there as there are Nintendo Switches. That's not nearly the same as "outsold the Switch!" but it also appears to be a significant trend.

The numbers are what they are; if you don't care about VR, or think you might but just not enough to move where your desk is, then.... don't spend money.

Assuming it's possible I think it will be fun to gently caress with VR on the steamdeck. Prolly do Zen VR poo poo in the woods and stuff and feel ridiculous.

* my own setup is clearly a lot more expensive than that, but, the delta between "people who play VR" and "people who feel a need to play DiRT RALLY in VR with force feedback and pedals and also a HOTAS because why not" is a pretty big gulf. People like me are a niche minority and I expect that to stay true until the tech massively improves

This is a dumb humble brag post that actually does the exact opposite of what your intentions were.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Kirios posted:

This is a dumb humble brag post that actually does the exact opposite of what your intentions were.

I thought it was way more interesting and informative than your take so nah. Let the VR nerd speak

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Also UK bedrooms appear to be ~90% the size of US on average.

absolutely not lmao

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Kirios posted:

I'm neither trying to be humble, nor brag. This is a forum where gaming setups that cost thousands of dollars are routinely discussed, and it's very clear to me that I am neither on the high or low end, income wise, of posters here. Also we're talking about preordering a subjectively needless thing that costs $4-600 without even knowing its final specs, I think I am comfortable exposing my very middle class existence. I am basically a boomer, my first VR experience was a CV1 in a 9x9 room that had 40 sq ft of gear in it.

If you think a standalone device that costs $300, requires not that much dedicated space for it (especially compared to a PC / console), and has sold ~4+ million units and counting is "a gimmick", okay, cool, agree to disagree and I will circle back in a year when we see how these numbers continue to tick up?

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 19, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Some people seem really mad at the idea that VR might be affordable and good now.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Some people seem really mad at the idea that VR might be affordable and good now.

it angers me because I need people to get over this so I have more people who suck at ping pong to play Eleven with.

A game that should run just fine on the steamdeck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Stux posted:

I live in a studio in NYC and have a headset, lmao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
elevens min spec is a 970

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

Blade Runner posted:

I live in a studio in NYC and have a headset, lmao

believe thats in na somewhere correct. ive been to nyc ur apartments are gigantic lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

VR is affordable and good now, but it also required you to open mouth kiss Mark Zuckerberg to do it, so it's a real bitch.