Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

FFT posted:

"fomented"
hth

actually it's "fermented"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

DarklyDreaming posted:

Funnily enough they were dispatched specifically because the armed chud presence got it declared an unlawful assembly, but for some reason they violently dispersed the counter-protestors and just kinda gently persuaded the nazis to leave

Hey now, let's be fair to our brave LEOs, our boys in blue, the ones we can't defund - the chuds all got whacked with a very stiff penalty for failure to disperse.

#BuiltBackBetter

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Murgos posted:

“Why would god do this thing to me?” Says person after horrible tragedy.

“God moves in mysterious ways” says person who benefits from being socially allowed to interpret an imaginary beings motives.

An omniscient and omnipotent god could find an infinite number of less harmful way to achieve the same effect but chooses not to. So either god is a dick or god is neither omnipotent or omniscient or doesn’t exist.

So, if god is a dick who just likes to hurt people then why the gently caress would you worship that? If god is not omnipotent or omniscient the maybe don’t attribute things to a god that isn’t actually capable of those things and accept that god is a gently caress up. Or just knock it off altogether because it’s a fraudulent position.
Oh FFS, go ask a priest if it bugs you so much. I bet priests have to deal with this question all the time, they already have a prepared answer for you.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
gettin mad about the problem of evil itt

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BigglesSWE posted:

YHWH is a jealous God which is an interesting admission in Exodus.

If he’s jealous, why not a dick, is my point.

Also if there are no other gods, what would he be jealous about?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Captain Monkey posted:

gettin mad about the problem of evil itt

I mean what is Qanon but a deranged answer to the problem of evil?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

DarklyDreaming posted:

I mean what is Qanon but a deranged answer to the problem of evil?

QAnon works better as a justification FOR evil. When your opponents are Satan-worshipping pedophiles no form of opposition is uncalled for.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Draw a line through US history between the witch trials and QAnon, and it passes directly through the eugenics laws, the Lavendar Scare, and the Satanic Panic without bending once.

Absolutely fucken lol at the idea of trying to understand the internal rationale behind this bullshit, it’s about taking satisfaction in the harm to Others Who Deserve It, and using that imperative to do harm to reify normativity. Everything else is just camouflage and ad copy.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
I don't think a few glib words followed by "everything else is just camouflage and ad copy" could be an accurate summary of any serious social issue.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

LonsomeSon posted:

and it passes directly through the eugenics laws,

These are still on the books in some states, I heard an interview with a woman who was rendered unable to get pregnant against her will, it was kind of heartbreaking.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

In other words, God is a world of Wendy’s drivethroughs.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Not sure if this is the right thread but, man, these types really loving get off on making a show of flying a ton of American flags and plastering decals on their cars but most of them really don't seem to like the United States very much at all.

They hate the free press, due process of law, the 4th amendment and anything the country does that tries to help people. They claim to loath government power but wholeheartedly support capital punishment and waging wars. WTF DO they like about this country except guns, paying lip service to the bible, fireworks, being allowed to work themselves to death and making new twists on flag designs?

They hate everything to the point that they invent poo poo to believe in out of whole cloth (or youtube videos) that create imaginary poo poo for them to get riled up about and worship Donald J Trump of all loving people.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

BiggerBoat posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread but, man, these types really loving get off on making a show of flying a ton of American flags and plastering decals on their cars but most of them really don't seem to like the United States very much at all.

They hate the free press, due process of law, the 4th amendment and anything the country does that tries to help people. They claim to loath government power but wholeheartedly support capital punishment and waging wars. WTF DO they like about this country except guns, paying lip service to the bible, fireworks, being allowed to work themselves to death and making new twists on flag designs?

They hate everything to the point that they invent poo poo to believe in out of whole cloth (or youtube videos) that create imaginary poo poo for them to get riled up about and worship Donald J Trump of all loving people.

They believe the US is whatever they want to believe the US is, that's the attitude that we've catered to for a really long time, talking about "closely held beliefs" and stuff, people fly confederate flags and then talk about patriotism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
QAnon Deutschland - Press One For World Communism

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Speaking of which, there's a new PBS Frontline doc, Germany's Neo-Nazis & the Far Right. I watched it but I'm honestly not sure what to take away from it. It would be a big surprise to me that German society would tolerate a growing Neo-Nazi movement. Are there any Germans following this thread who have insight?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

I like how the Constitution is gone but this takes place in Germany, like why the gently caress would they care?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

That poster’s really nailed that amazon kindle erotica look—Pounded in the Butt by my Need to own the Libs.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Guavanaut posted:

I have not seen this but the GAM review left me with the impression that the people who made it have no loving idea what they're even mad about

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 20, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

DarkCrawler posted:

Also if there are no other gods, what would he be jealous about?

Because people think those other gods exist and are worshiping them instead. If a married person was obsessed with wanting to gently caress a cartoon character I don't think saying "But that cartoon character doesn't exist" would prevent their partner from getting jealous.

e: Also about that dumbass movie the "English has been chosen as the world language" thing sticks out to me, like isn't that what old boomers want? I see plenty of memes of them mad about having to Press 1 For English so having English be the only language in the world sounds like a dream come true for them.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Because people think those other gods exist and are worshiping them instead. If a married person was obsessed with wanting to gently caress a cartoon character I don't think saying "But that cartoon character doesn't exist" would prevent their partner from getting jealous.

I think they specifically believe those other gods don't exist, but to worship them (maybe they are demons) steal worship from their god, which most serious Gods these days have a serious problem with.

Twelve by Pies posted:

e: Also about that dumbass movie the "English has been chosen as the world language" thing sticks out to me, like isn't that what old boomers want? I see plenty of memes of them mad about having to Press 1 For English so having English be the only language in the world sounds like a dream come true for them.

I think it's a German movie.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

indiscriminately posted:

I don't think a few glib words followed by "everything else is just camouflage and ad copy" could be an accurate summary of any serious social issue.

It’s not that the ad copy isn’t salient, or important in its own right given the real effects it has in the world.

I’m intending to highlight specifically that the nature of the ad copy regardless of type or content is malleable and ultimately disposable, while the baseline motivations I sketched remain consistently important to the Types of Folk who wind up needing to warp reality to fit the magical thinking which they’re unwilling to abandon.

You can rip down facades all day and more will just be rotated into place. One has to look for the poo poo which is consistent, the root causes and motivations, to start to understand this kind of community.

(e: which is to say, I can expand on it past the glib and easy to digest nutshell, if you like)

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

DarklyDreaming posted:

I have not seen this but the GAM review left me with the impression that the people who made it have no loving idea what they're even mad about

That's kind of the hallmark of Conservatism in general and modern Conservatism especially. They are terrified and angry about something, they don't know what. And instead of looking for a hobby or meaningful relationships or artistic works or even genuine spirituality to fill that emptiness and soothe that turmoil, they just lash out blindly at anyone and everyone.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

That's kind of the hallmark of Conservatism in general and modern Conservatism especially. They are terrified and angry about something, they don't know what. And instead of looking for a hobby or meaningful relationships or artistic works or even genuine spirituality to fill that emptiness and soothe that turmoil, they just lash out blindly at anyone and everyone.

Basically an excuse for aging boomers to behave like the petulant teenagers they wish they could be again.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
They're seriously literally rebels without causes. They know the world is unjust and unpleasant - and let us ignore for the moment that it is largely that way because they and men like them have made it so - but finding out why it is that way is difficult, the answers would be upsetting, and the solutions would be even more difficult and upsetting than either of those prior steps combined. So far easier to just lash out blindly and decry all the evils of the world while calling for a return to a mythical past that never really existed.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol I wish there was a One World Gov competant like that movie. (well at least when it was strong enough to not be toppled by a hand full of plucky rebels. )

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

This is bad psychology. Firstly, we know what they're afraid of. Generally, they're xenophobic, they're ethnocentric. They are wary of outsiders, which could mean immigrants or minorities. And the only thing they hate more than outsiders are people of their own group who say we should embrace outsiders by letting in immigrants or letting BLM push us around. They don't lash out blindly at anyone, they have specific targets. And I don't know what you mean by "emptiness". These aren't psychologically-damaged people, their thinking pattern is natural for their personality type. There have always been people like this, they're a product of genetics, not trauma.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

indiscriminately posted:

Speaking of which, there's a new PBS Frontline doc, Germany's Neo-Nazis & the Far Right. I watched it but I'm honestly not sure what to take away from it. It would be a big surprise to me that German society would tolerate a growing Neo-Nazi movement. Are there any Germans following this thread who have insight?

A big issue is that while outright neonazism is still unacceptable in polite society (such as it is), a great number of our institutions are run by right-wing or far-right people. Even if they don't outright sympathize with the neo-nazis, they tend to downplay their threat and prefer to focus on the supposed threats posed by left-wing extremism or islamists. Every demand of "Hey maybe do something about the neo-nazis" is met with "Actually, there's extremism on both sides."

For example, we've got "offices for the protection of the constitution", both federally and state level. In principle, these are supposed to keep an eye on extremist groups that aim to attack the democratic foundations of the state, which would obviously include neo-nazis. In practice, the last leader of this office was fired because he refused to acknowledge instances of neo-nazis attacking people in broad daylight, and claimed that literal video evidence of these attacks was an antifa hoax: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46095812. Similarly, it seems like barely a week goes by without yet another scandal about some police chatgroup "ironically" sharing neo-nazi memes. The silver lining is that these incidents do tend to have consequences if they become public, but it's quite obvious that for every one we know about, there are dozens that we don't.

The tl;dr is basically: German society doesn't tolerate neo-nazis, but only when it is forced to acknowledge them. We much prefer to act like they don't exist.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pseudanonymous posted:

I think it's a German movie.

It's an American movie from everything I can find.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Kurzon posted:

Oh FFS, go ask a priest if it bugs you so much. I bet priests have to deal with this question all the time, they already have a prepared answer for you.

I'm comfortable with my answer to the dilemma. Sounds like it causes you some angst though.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Murgos posted:

I'm comfortable with my answer to the dilemma. Sounds like it causes you some angst though.

my dude r/atheism is on a wholly different site

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Lib and let die posted:

my dude r/atheism is on a wholly different site

My dude the Q craziness is deeply tied into White Christian supremacy. From wanting to accelerate Armageddon by accelerating race issues in Israel to Trump Laying of Hands to Christian mega-churches being significant voices of Q theory into peoples lives it all ties together.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 20, 2021

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Kurzon posted:

This is bad psychology. [...] they're xenophobic [...] These aren't psychologically-damaged people [...] they're a product of genetics, not trauma.

Reads to me like you're giving yourself permission for hatred.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

indiscriminately posted:

Sssshh, they might break out their cranial calipers if we can refrain from interrupting them

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

indiscriminately posted:

There's absolutely nothing wrong in hating these people. Though it's not really about genetics.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Ethnocentrism is a natural human behavior that appears in all cultures everywhere. That means it has a biological basis.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Perestroika posted:

A big issue is that while outright neonazism is still unacceptable in polite society (such as it is), a great number of our institutions are run by right-wing or far-right people. Even if they don't outright sympathize with the neo-nazis, they tend to downplay their threat and prefer to focus on the supposed threats posed by left-wing extremism or islamists. Every demand of "Hey maybe do something about the neo-nazis" is met with "Actually, there's extremism on both sides."

For example, we've got "offices for the protection of the constitution", both federally and state level. In principle, these are supposed to keep an eye on extremist groups that aim to attack the democratic foundations of the state, which would obviously include neo-nazis. In practice, the last leader of this office was fired because he refused to acknowledge instances of neo-nazis attacking people in broad daylight, and claimed that literal video evidence of these attacks was an antifa hoax: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46095812. Similarly, it seems like barely a week goes by without yet another scandal about some police chatgroup "ironically" sharing neo-nazi memes. The silver lining is that these incidents do tend to have consequences if they become public, but it's quite obvious that for every one we know about, there are dozens that we don't.

The tl;dr is basically: German society doesn't tolerate neo-nazis, but only when it is forced to acknowledge them. We much prefer to act like they don't exist.

Thanks. This is essentially what the PBS doc implied, that there are several recent incidents where people in positions of power have made decisions that would suggest they are sympathetic to the far right. Or are beholden to forces that are sympathetic, which is kinda the same thing.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kurzon posted:

Ethnocentrism is a natural human behavior that appears in all cultures everywhere. That means it has a biological basis.

Yes, but I would argue that nobody is genetically more suspectible to being a racist. So it is really about what other factors influence the potential of being a bigot that all humans have.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

DarkCrawler posted:

Yes, but I would argue that nobody is genetically more suspectible to being a racist.

Why not? Some people are more susceptible to anger or lust.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Kurzon posted:

Why not? Some people are more susceptible to anger or lust.

How might we determine a correlation between characteristics like anger or lust to a genetic marker? Would it manifest itself in some physical way that we could quantify? Is there a particular field of biological study you're drawing these conclusions from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

LonsomeSon posted:

It’s not that the ad copy isn’t salient, or important in its own right given the real effects it has in the world.

I’m intending to highlight specifically that the nature of the ad copy regardless of type or content is malleable and ultimately disposable, while the baseline motivations I sketched remain consistently important to the Types of Folk who wind up needing to warp reality to fit the magical thinking which they’re unwilling to abandon.

You can rip down facades all day and more will just be rotated into place. One has to look for the poo poo which is consistent, the root causes and motivations, to start to understand this kind of community.

(e: which is to say, I can expand on it past the glib and easy to digest nutshell, if you like)

You can expand if you like. I don't delight in social commentary that picks out the worst specimen from a group and then projects their attitudes, impulses, reasoning on the whole group. It's not just that it's unsavory, it's also that it's unsound as a basis for understanding a social issue IMO. There is variance within a group. And the individuals who take part in batshit social movements are just as complicated, turbulent, inconsistent inside as you and me.