Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Is it even possible to make non-youkai bosses run out of ki? I've been bashing my head against Saika for hours and whenever he's low on ki he just backs up and parries and regenerates most of his bar back again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Is it even possible to make non-youkai bosses run out of ki? I've been bashing my head against Saika for hours and whenever he's low on ki he just backs up and parries and regenerates most of his bar back again.

Yes, it's possible. The main difficulty is that you really need to keep on the pressure if you want to do it.
It can be easier if you capitalize on a mistake, like them whiffing a big attack. But you have to get in there and go nuts.

Some bosses have dumb attacks that let them escape from being wailed on while blocking, but most of them don't.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

This guy in particular keeps turning into a bird and flying away (and/or instantly grappling me for 90% of my health), and like, I can deplete maybe 5% of his ki bar before my ki runs out by wailing on him, so I don't think it's working out for this one...

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 19, 2021

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Yeah, it's kinda hard with this one. I managed to do it with fists, they have a few attacks that do decent Ki damage.

So it also depends on the weapons and what skills you use. It can be really hard sometimes. Maybe try to take potshots at him once he's in the air, throw shuriken or shoot an arrow or someting if you're quick enough. In the first game that used to pretty much drain is KI, in the second not so much, but it can still contribute.

Spoilered mainly because giving away the boss' abilities can spoil the boss. Given it's a returning one from the first game

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I've been tossing onmyo at him while he's in the air, but it doesn't seem to dent his ki bar at all - I knocked him out of the air once, but even that didn't do any visible ki damage, so I don't know what's up with that. Sloth talisman works if he doesn't dodge it, but he's got such a pile of health it wears off before I've taken about 10-15% of his health off. Besides that all I'm doing is wailing on him with thunderbolt and lightning-enhanced axes but it's barely budging either bar. :shrug:

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
He is definitely on of those bosses that just clicks. My advice would be use poison since he is human and use the pillars/posts on the side room.

I think he takes extra ki damage if you hit him in the air but don’t quote me on that. If you try this do it with a thrown into weapon or Yokai ability not a gun/bow.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I forgot to clarify this but...

Calidus posted:

he takes extra ki damage if you hit him in the air

it's negligible. The real advantage you get from that is that he's grounded and prone for a second or two so you can easily get some damage (including Ki damage) in

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Hit bad guy in air for extra Ki damage used to be a general rule right?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Yeah, but that "rule" was nerfed a bit in the second game.

It was really powerful in the first game so I understand why they nerfed it but for some bosses I still think it wouldn't hurt to have a way to easily punish their flying around.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I somehow got him beat - he didn't use the attack where he flies around and shits out a million fireballs while shooting you with his gun very much, so I feel like got a bit lucky. Unfortunately, the thing that came after is quite possibly the most annoying thing I've seen so far in the game - the game really doesn't feel like it was made for this... scale.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well that's it, after a couple of hours of attempts where I got her health to the point where she transformed maybe 1 in 15 times and then never surviving more that two seconds after that, I decided to try and get better gear from NG+. I cleaned out the first stage and it was all miles worse than what I already had, also I somehow didn't expect to have to beat the whole difficulty again to get Divine stuff to start dropping.
I hate grinding poo poo I've already done, time to play something else.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

give expeditions a try. it turns out that having another player and multiple lives really trivializes a lot of things, although I can’t say the rest of the DLC is about to get easier.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Sakurazuka posted:

Well that's it, after a couple of hours of attempts where I got her health to the point where she transformed maybe 1 in 15 times and then never surviving more that two seconds after that, I decided to try and get better gear from NG+. I cleaned out the first stage and it was all miles worse than what I already had, also I somehow didn't expect to have to beat the whole difficulty again to get Divine stuff to start dropping.
I hate grinding poo poo I've already done, time to play something else.

Divine stuff should be dropping immediately in NG+. I don't understand

However, yes everything in Nioh after the first difficulty is 100% a Diablo style lootfest. It does get harder, but in the same way Diablo and other lootgames get harder. Modifiers on enemies, more interesting loot, the occasional new move, but if you aren't interested in playing the same game but getting crazier and crazier with new loot, then it's probably time to move on.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guess I must just have been unlucky and not a single piece dropped then lol

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

It also should be said, and I mean this as hard as loving possible, unless you are putting a dumb amount of time into the last DLC, every time you go to a new difficulty there will be a pretty drat big spike at the beginning of the campaign. This is because your old gear isn't up to snuff with the new poo poo. When they put in cursed enemies or whatever it's called in Nioh 2, you will get ABSOLUTELY STOMPED by revenants if you try to fight them on the first stage. Every difficulty adds some crazy new poo poo and it demands increasingly mean builds. The break-even point is where you think the build you just made feels broken, but really, you haven't broken the game yet and there's still the possibility of you dying.

Examples of some busted poo poo you eventually get

The yasakani magatama -1 set piece bonus on things that aren't yasakani magatama
Apply sloth on any onmyo hit or any ninjutsu hit (separate bonuses for this), including applying sloth from onmyo just because you're using an elemental weapon talisman
Perfect guarding a projectile reflects the projectile back at the enemy
Huge bonuses to sentience charge, damage to corrupted enemies, anima charge and damage on awakened weapons all on the same set
Mystic dyad (gives you both of the mystic bonuses for a weapon, onmyo, or ninjutsu)
Access to AA weight (for dodging) and AA toughness (for not giving a gently caress)
Ki pulsing while blocking without needing to have a purity weapon

The further you go, the more it becomes just a ridiculous power fantasy of you beasting the living poo poo out of everything

Here's something that is only from like the 3rd difficulty but notice how little I have to give a poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-TRJmU4Y5w

Sorry about the video quality

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Apply sloth on any onmyo hit or any ninjutsu hit (separate bonuses for this), including applying sloth from onmyo just because you're using an elemental weapon talisman

How do you do this on onmyo? Just started dream of the wise and haven’t noticed this effect on anything yet

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

Sakurazuka posted:

Go kill some revenants in "The Voice in the Twilight" They aren't that tough yet especially with a blue summon and you'll be swimming in divines from all the gear they drop.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

How do you do this on onmyo? Just started dream of the wise and haven’t noticed this effect on anything yet

It's a star affix that can show up on accessories. Not sure if it can show up anywhere else.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I'm not sure what difficulty it shows up on, but Kagrenac is correct. It is a star affix you'll find on accessories. It pairs well with whatever cheap, long-lasting source of onmyo damage you happen to have. That talisman that puts magic orbs around you is a good one that causes the effect just by being near an enemy. It only lasts as long as sloth normally lasts in Nioh 2, so it's not *crazy*, but it becomes pretty fuckin silly when you use it with lightning. Everything just moves in slow motion.

The ninjutsu version is particularly funny for any set that gives you infinite or might-as-well-be-infinite shuriken or whatever.

One of my favorite bullshit late builds is somewhere around 50% damage reduction while attacking, brute form, AA toughness, anima on damage taken, massively reduced ki usage for attacks, health on hit by some means, and using only ungrabbable yokai shifts. It's a total juggernaut build that wants to ALWAYS be attacking, but you can die if you manage to get locked down. I use an early version of it in that video. You might note that I'm using Hyobishin instead of Inosasao as my main spirit. That's because I need to be able to clear debuffs without having to stop attacking.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 19, 2021

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Yoshitune’s set looks nice but I really don’t want to farm him for smithing text and the skill.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Pretty happy to have beaten the hell snake in four tries. The demon boss before that took a lot more.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Ayo, gently caress human bosses in co-op :mad:

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I am about finished with the second DLC. I have a couple questions:

- Do pump skill or con after maxing heart and hitting 30 in dex and magic?
- Nekomata + Kasha seems to good to give up
- Is there any reason to not have Imbue on you melee weapons?
- Does poison just seems better than water, lightning and fire, with how easy it is to stack and how +dmg against poisoned enemies on items there is. Am I missing something?

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

A fair number of bosses are very poison resistant, and poison itself can be a lot less useful than having the enemy have damage amp from water, or slowed down from lightning. Also, if you can't continue to maintain poison (keep applying more poison while they are poisoned so it doesn't expire), every time it runs out it gets much harder to reapply. Very tricky in NG+ and onwards if you aren't using a poison buff of your weapon.

On that note, the downside of imbue (assuming you mean weapons with the random property rolled for extra fire or whatnot) is that those are much smaller than using an actual spell or item. Furthermore, a weapon property is overwritten by a buff item. If you mean is there any reason not to use a buff item, no, you should have one on all the time when fighting tough enemies.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Re Imbue: So it doesn’t stack even if it’s the same element? So it basically just makes keeping a debuff up on a boss a little easier if you don’t have time to reapply a weapon buff?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
What does the counter next to the amrita counter represent? The patterned circle that I've so far only seen at 1 or 2.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

snoremac posted:

What does the counter next to the amrita counter represent? The patterned circle that I've so far only seen at 1 or 2.

Carried (unpurified, dropped on death) soul cores.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Calidus posted:

- Does poison just seems better than water, lightning and fire, with how easy it is to stack and how +dmg against poisoned enemies on items there is. Am I missing something?

Lightning/fire/water are ingredients of chaos, poison is not

Chaos makes enemies take 50% more damage and doesn’t let them regain ki, which is so absurdly powerful that no other status effect I’ve seen is as valuable

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Lightning/fire/water are ingredients of chaos, poison is not

Also corruption/purity, so some elemental onmyo magic + purity is a great way to deal with slow yokai. I like to blast them with lightning (since it slows them) and wailing on them with purity weapons, real easy to apply confusion or whatever the effect is called.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Is Chaos a new thing or is it the same as Confusion/Discord?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Chaos makes enemies take 50% more damage and doesn’t let them regain ki, which is so absurdly powerful that no other status effect I’ve seen is as valuable

I didn’t realize Chaos stopped Ki regen.

Sounds like I should try magic other other than slow, shield and purity talismans.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

IGgy IGsen posted:

Is Chaos a new thing or is it the same as Confusion/Discord?

The name varies by translation (There's US and UK English for example) but we all mean the same thing.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

So, what's the quickest way to level up on DotD? There was a huge level gap between me and the first mission (about 50 levels or so) which has been fine but the missions I'm doing are now recommended about 80 levels higher. Am I just supposed to be perpetually under leveled?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The mission levels are useful for comparison against each other, but they're really just a suggestion as far as comparison to your own level. The difference between your level and the mission level you can manage to beat will continue to increase. Don't worry about it, it just means you know what you're doing.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I recently made it to Dream of the Nioh, the last New Game Cycle (NG++++).

I'm level 360-something. :shobon:

Bless the people that carried me made Otakemaru a little bit easier to deal with.

I'm not sure where to go. Should I jump right into the underworld? Do a few easy side levels?

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Ok cool, then I guess I will persevere.:black101:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Calidus posted:

I am about finished with the second DLC. I have a couple questions:

- Do pump skill or con after maxing heart and hitting 30 in dex and magic?

I'd pump con unless your weapons specifically scale from skill. Skill is a pretty poo poo stat.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

The Underworld is rewarding me with ridiculous amounts of amrita and loot and is also making me cry

Morter fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 23, 2021

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I just realized yokai abilities can animation cancel so you do some real stupid combos.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
If I am maining swords, how should I be focusing my level ups? So far I have a 10 in I think everything but dex and magic, while I have been dumping most points into heart. Is there another stat I should be putting points into or should I just keep dumping stats into heart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

If I am maining swords, how should I be focusing my level ups? So far I have a 10 in I think everything but dex and magic, while I have been dumping most points into heart. Is there another stat I should be putting points into or should I just keep dumping stats into heart?

A solid strategy if you want to mainly use your weapon for everything. I did the same thing but for fists (using Strength instead of Heart)
You might still want to up the other stats to keep up with equipment load and maybe get some more slots for Onmyo and Ninjutsu. Never a bad idea to have some utility stuff to, say, easily heal poison or buff your weapon.

Don't be afraid to just play it by ear, you can hardly make any mistakes you can't find your way out of because respeccing is easy.