Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Blade Runner posted:

I live in a studio in NYC and have a headset, lmao

Stux posted:

do the goalposts also hover or are they on wheels

learn to read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!

Blade Runner posted:

Where you live, London, the average apartment size is 500 square feet according to this and even the article you provided

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22152622.amp

Also the way ONS measures flats uses EFA only, which does not include things like hallways and bathrooms, which are included in the American measurements you provided previously

where did i say i lived in london. i said i lived in one of the areas on the interactive map, figure 4 in the link i gave you, that has an average of 37 square meters. rcp.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Honestly I'm watiing for PSVR 2 with PS5 for my second go at virtual reality. PSVR with a PS4 Pro was...cool, but super impossible to do with a wife and kids around (My wife especially HATED it). I could only do it at night and at that point I was too tired and interested in doing a more intricate setup to play what felt like proof of concept games than actual fleshed out experiences.

I hope it's better the second go around. And yes, I know the PC options are great, but again, wife, kids, house etc. etc. Zero interest in anything PC related as I simply don't have time for that. For that reason I guess the Steam Deck's not a bad idea, but Valve needs to show that they are willing to commit to this product longer than 18 months. Their track record ain't the greatest on the hardware front.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation

vaginite posted:

learn to read

Blade Runner posted:

Where exactly do you live that you believe NYC apartments are gigantic

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Cabbages and Kings posted:

The Quest2's xr2 is equivalent to a ryzen 3500u, but the gpu is clocked at half speed and is most equivilent to graphics cards from a decade ago on pure numbers.

Assuming docking etc is possible and connecting a headset is possible, the specs for the Steamdeck are much stronger and this would imply that the sort of basic VR games I am talking about would work fine.

Eleven, for instance, requires a GTX970 and Intel i5-4590. We don't know the full specs on the Steamdeck yet, but the RDNA GPU is rumored to be "AMD 6000 series equivalent", which means the specs of this thing should easily outpace the minimum reqs for stuff like Eleven and Beat Saber.

This hardware is significantly more powerful than the Quest2, so, if it's technologically possible to tether to it and run VR, I would expect it to deliver a better experience in some number of games. I'll let you know in Q1, I guess, if Mozi or someone doesn't beat me to the punch (I KNOW you have a Vive, dude, hook it up, I will buy you Eleven!!)

Oh god no, I expect to have to ratchet stuff waaaay down compared to my PC. But, beating out the Quest2's performance should be doable, if there's no technical reason we can't dock.

I'd say the biggest issue would be that the Quest is very, very well optimized for what it does and the software on it is also optimized, so I don't know that I can say the hardware would necessarily be the sum of its parts for this. Here's hoping, at least, though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

convincing people that $300 and 25 sq ft of dedicated space for VR is not a horrible insurmountable obstacle for a demographic of people that read a gaming forum thread about totally superfluous devices that cost hundreds of dollars

in the specific context of talking about using said superfluous device to power said VR headset to maybe provide a better framerate, based on hypothetical performance numbers specc'd from various press releases

some people seem more concerned with flaunting their True Leftist creds than being open to the idea that VR is both more accessible and more fun than it was a decade ago

now you're caught up, tell me about your football avatar as it relates to goalposts?

people telling me American apartments are fuckin huge is hilarious when I spent years doing HARDCORE GAMING in a 595 sq ft 1-bedroom with one other adult human and two cats. Our kitchen was 20 square feet of usable space, and we were paying the equivalent of $1900/mo in 2021 dollars

the US is huge and cheap, if you get out of the desirable cities where most people want to live!!

What leftists credits what the hell are you on about

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Stux posted:

where did i say i lived in london. i said i lived in one of the areas on the interactive map, figure 4 in the link i gave you, that has an average of 37 square meters. rcp.

Okay I am sorry your living situation is cramped and tiny and you find it totally incompatible with VR but that seems to be a minority opinion here?

Also my first VR setup was a 3x2 2x1.5 meter square in a single room and it was totally fine for a lot of games tethered to a PC but I am sure you will find that unsatisfying for some number of reasons

edit: metrics conversions maths

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation

CharlestheHammer posted:

What leftists credits what the hell are you on about

lmao ty i missed that. this guy owns, lets hear more about the leftist creds from him

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This square footage conversation reminds me of a buddy of mine who complains that he barely has enough room at all in Tulsa with him, his wife and three kids.

They live in a 5 bedroom, 4 bath 2820 square foot house. I called absolute bullshit on him and he didn't take too kindly to it.

Stux is kinda right - Americans are big pissbabies about the size of our house / apartment. My home's a 3 bed 2 bath with 1607 square foot in Oregon and that's considered tiny here. We're kind of assholes.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation

Okay I am sorry your living situation is cramped and tiny and you find it totally incompatible with VR but that seems to be a minority opinion here?

Also my first VR setup was a 3x2 meter square in a single room and it was totally fine for a lot of games tethered to a PC but I am sure you will find that unsatisfying for some number of reasons

yeah its like its a bunch of americans as i said. glad we have circled back around to the starting point, where i was right, as i always am.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kirios posted:

Their track record ain't the greatest on the hardware front.
I see people keep saying this while I'm looking around in my house filled with Valve hardware, can you please elaborate because I think their track record on hardware is "wow this hardware is sick"

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Stux posted:

yeah its like its a bunch of americans as i said. glad we have circled back around to the starting point, where i was right, as i always am.

yes you're right that you are living in a relatively cramped situation compared to many people in this thread and therefore may have different opinions about whether or not you want to interact with VR. Of course you're right about whether or not VR is a thing that's useful to you, even if you're determined to be wrong about many other things

homeless snail posted:

I see people keep saying this while I'm looking around in my house filled with Valve hardware, can you please elaborate because I think their track record on hardware is "wow this hardware is sick"

My only prior is a SteamBox and controller, a thing many people seem to hate?

I used it for about a year and thought it was fine for what it was and then my setup changed and I did not need it and it's been in a box. It was like $50 though and I got my 50 hrs out of it, whatever

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
i have been wrong at no point so far in my life. anyway would love to ehar more about true leftist creds and the 15w apu with 8 CUs being as powerful as a 970? if you wouldnt mind

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

homeless snail posted:

I take it back the steam controller owned and is still selling gangbusters to this day. Same with Steam Link! You can make the argument that those lead to the Steam Deck, but commercially? They were flops bro - your home is a shrine to failed hardware products.

Edit: Oh man I forgot about the SteamBox! There's potential in the Steam Deck, absolutely, but Valve needs to prove some doubters wrong on this one. Commit to it!

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Stux posted:

You continue to ignore both EFA and also the fact that the way the UK classifies "flats" is separate from things like maisonettes, which are grouped with apartments in the other studies

They're not comparable because they use different standards

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I can't do VR for more than like 20 minutes at a time before I start feeling like poo poo so I hope it never becomes the standard for gaming.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kirios posted:

I take it back the steam controller owned and is still selling gangbusters to this day. Same with Steam Link! You can make the argument that those lead to the Steam Deck, but commercially? They were flops bro - your home is a shrine to failed hardware products.

Edit: Oh man I forgot about the SteamBox! There's potential in the Steam Deck, absolutely, but Valve needs to prove some doubters wrong on this one. Commit to it!

People have pointed out numerous times in this thread that the steam link is still receiving updates so while it might be a commercial failure they are still supporting it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Volte posted:

I can't do VR for more than like 20 minutes at a time before I start feeling like poo poo so I hope it never becomes the standard for gaming.

It definitely won't - there are ton of people like you. It will be a fun niche that caters to a small but passionate fanbase and that will keep it going for quite a while. But mainstream? Too many limiting factors.

MarcusSA posted:

People have pointed out numerous times in this thread that the steam link is still receiving updates so while it might be a commercial failure they are still supporting it.

The Harmony remote still gets updates once in a while as well - that really doesn't mean anything. A software update for something like that is a trivial thing that can be managed by a few devs who are passionate about it - which hey awesome! But they never even did a hardware refresh, yeah? That's way more telling than bugfix patches with the occasional minor feature update.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 19, 2021

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kirios posted:

Who gives a gently caress if the things you own are commercially successful. You already own and can enjoy them. This just seems like dumb console war rhetoric to me where people are overly invested in how much money the companies they like are making.

Steam Machines were dumb but, that wasn't Valve hardware, Alienware made those

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Stux posted:

I guess it's easy to always be right if you look at a thing where you're objectively incorrect and go "no. I'm still correct" so I hope that continues working out for you

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Stux posted:

i have been wrong at no point so far in my life. anyway would love to ehar more about true leftist creds and the 15w apu with 8 CUs being as powerful as a 970? if you wouldnt mind

I said clearly that I was speculating off what's been released in terms of hardware. We don't have real numbers.

if a docked steamdeck can be connected to a VR HMD and if SteamVR is supported without any insane 3rd party stuff, then I'd :toxx: on performance in stuff like Beat Saber and Pistol Whip being better than quest 2 native. That's a bunch of ifs.

The thing that doesn't have any ifs attached to it is "VR is no longer gimmick, it is at worst niche, and the fact that people in the US may adopt it more frequently because we have bigger residences than other places doesn't make it a gimmick, it just makes it a more popular product with the middle class in NA than in other markets where only more affluent people have access to a 2.5 x 2.5 meter space which is apparently a challenge for some people".

The leftist comment was poking fun at the idea that having a 3.5x3m space I can exclusively use to work from is a "humble brag", more or less.

Volte posted:

Some people can't punch through this but for me it was like a muscle and it got a lot easier over time. Initially even the 3DS gave me headaches.

I have been a 3d nerd forever, I just got back from a family vacation where my dad had me bring a projector and glasses to show his 3d family slide pics in 3d, and then lost his mind at me when the aspect ratio was wrong on some of them. So it goes. Even seen a 3d film camera? Cool stuff.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 19, 2021

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Who gives a gently caress if the things you own are commercially successful. You already own and can enjoy them. This just seems like dumb console war rhetoric to me where people are overly invested in how much money the companies they like are making.

Steam Machines were dumb but, that wasn't Valve hardware, Alienware made those

Doesn't matter much if Alienware made them - Steam's name is still attached to it and that's what people latch onto.

It's nice if something has commercial success so you can see a lot more support for it going forward. Wouldn't you like to see future Steam Decks with potentially better specs and/or cheaper price point with a better battery life because components get cheaper over time? That never happens if a product isn't at least somewhat commercially successful.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I said clearly that I was speculating off what's been released in terms of hardware. We don't have real numbers.

if a docked steamdeck can be connected to a VR HMD and if SteamVR is supported without any insane 3rd party stuff, then I'd :toxx: on performance in stuff like Beat Saber and Pistol Whip being better than quest 2 native. That's a bunch of ifs.

The thing that doesn't have any ifs attached to it is "VR is no longer gimmick, it is at worst niche, and the fact that people in the US may adopt it more frequently because we have bigger residences than other places doesn't make it a gimmick, it just makes it a more popular product with the middle class in NA than in other markets where only more affluent people have access to a 2.5 x 2.5 meter space which is apparently a challenge for some people".

The leftist comment was poking fun at the idea that having a 3.5x3m space I can exclusively use to work from is a "humble brag", more or less.

Some people can't punch through this but for me it was like a muscle and it got a lot easier over time. Initially even the 3DS gave me headaches.

I have been a 3d nerd forever, I just got back from a family vacation where my dad had me bring a projector and glasses to show his 3d family slide pics in 3d, and then lost his mind at me when the aspect ratio was wrong on some of them. So it goes. Even seen a 3d film camera? Cool stuff.

I'd say the biggest hope might be using the steam deck to stream from a PC onto the Index for wireless stuff. I'm sure people will say this will cause everyone who uses it to vomit constantly, but wireless streaming on the Oculus headsets has been pretty decent, by all reports.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kirios posted:

The Harmony remote still gets updates once in a while as well - that really doesn't mean anything. A software update for something like that is a trivial thing that can be managed by a few devs who are passionate about it - which hey awesome! But they never even did a hardware refresh, yeah? That's way more telling than bugfix patches with the occasional minor feature update.

Fwiw they didn’t really need to do an update. When the link came out TVs and phones where easily able to do steam link. Technology evolved and pretty much anything can run the steam link app.

It’s really not big “checkmate valve” thing tbh

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Steam Link is built into my TV and the software that ran the Steam controller also works with much better controllers like the DS4. The OS that powered Steam Boxes has been further developed and resulted in the Deck. SteamVR is also still in active development, no surprise there though.

Valve got what they wanted out of those pieces of hardware, a showcase for cool new Steam features, and once they ran their course and were available for other hardware, they stopped making the physical product while still developing the software. None of them are failures in terms of what Valve actually wanted out of them, which was to further develop their software platform.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation

Blade Runner posted:

I guess it's easy to always be right if you look at a thing where you're objectively incorrect and go "no. I'm still correct" so I hope that continues working out for you

talking about yourself here or?

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Wait can it dock and connect to a TV like a switch? I haven't seen anything like that but if that's the case it's probably gonna sell me on it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation

very interested in hearing how the device which absolutely does not meet min spec for a game that requires a 970 would do this, please explain.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Stux posted:

talking about yourself here or?

Well by the article you posted the average size of an apartment in NYC is 700 square feet and the average size of an apartment where you live, if you take out the bathroom and all hallways, is 400 feet, so no, I do not think 700/2 is 400

e.: Sorry people in England don't have bathrooms though sounds hard

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

VR is cool, but if people want to argue about its merits or not then there is probably better thread for that (mine!).

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation

Blade Runner posted:

You continue to ignore both EFA and also the fact that the way the UK classifies "flats" is separate from things like maisonettes, which are grouped with apartments in the other studies

They're not comparable because they use different standards

believe you said it was 500 sq ft average in nyc correct? yet it was 800 im reading here? very interesting

Blade Runner posted:

Well by the article you posted the average size of an apartment in NYC is 700 square feet and the average size of an apartment where you live, if you take out the bathroom and all hallways, is 400 feet, so no, I do not think 700/2 is 400

e.: Sorry people in England don't have bathrooms though sounds hard

it was 800, that was the average of the two studies. i believe half of that is 400? which is only 100 less than what you thought the average was inexplicably. sorry you are having trouble coping with this.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Can't wait for my Steam Deck, this thing is going to be amazing if they get the Yuzu emulator running on. Now that RetroArch is part of Steam itself it's going to be the ultimate machine for me.

Not surprised I jumped into this thread to find people talking about apartments and flinging poo poo.

vaginite posted:

Wait can it dock and connect to a TV like a switch? I haven't seen anything like that but if that's the case it's probably gonna sell me on it.

Yeah, there's a dock mentioned on the page and video have showed it docked and running a monitor with mouse and keyboard.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i don't know what's happening with all that but the reason people keep saying VR is a gimmick that hasn't taken off yet for years is because it's still true lol

i'm glad you personally are having fun with it, though

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kirios posted:

It's nice if something has commercial success so you can see a lot more support for it going forward. Wouldn't you like to see future Steam Decks with potentially better specs and/or cheaper price point with a better battery life because components get cheaper over time? That never happens if a product isn't at least somewhat commercially successful.
No that's not even something I remotely think about. I'm in line to buy a Steam Deck, if in a couple of years there's a second Steam Deck well cool but that's a separate purchase that I may or may not make then, I'm not karmically rewarded for my support of the Steam Deck 1. That has no bearing whatsoever, on the thing I'm buying. Valve is going to be okay, you don't need to worry about how much money they make or lose on the Steam Deck.

If I buy a Steam Deck and Valve immediately goes out of business the day after I get it, guess what my Steam Deck will still work.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Steam Deck: minimum spec includes 500 sq ft of real estate.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Steam Link is built into my TV and the software that ran the Steam controller also works with much better controllers like the DS4. The OS that powered Steam Boxes has been further developed and resulted in the Deck. SteamVR is also still in active development, no surprise there though.

Valve got what they wanted out of those pieces of hardware, a showcase for cool new Steam features, and once they ran their course and were available for other hardware, they stopped making the physical product while still developing the software. None of them are failures in terms of what Valve actually wanted out of them, which was to further develop their software platform.

I...guess? There's certainly benefit to having a dedicated piece of hardware for streaming - that will always work better than say a phone. TV's a better option but I think that's still limited to certain models? I forgot which.

Still, that's more hardware that Valve abandoned. They are 0/3 in that department. I'm not super confident that this is the one that Valve's going to go all in on supporting. If I am being brutally honest, I see this more becoming the king of emulation in 3-5 years time than anything else. For that purpose? This thing will be wonderful - it's going to get so much support from that scene.

homeless snail posted:

No that's not even something I remotely think about. I'm in line to buy a Steam Deck, if in a couple of years there's a second Steam Deck well cool but that's a separate purchase that I may or may not make then, I'm not karmically rewarded for my support of the Steam Deck 1. That has no bearing whatsoever, on the thing I'm buying. Valve is going to be okay, you don't need to worry about how much money they make or lose on the Steam Deck.

If I buy a Steam Deck and Valve immediately goes out of business the day after I get it, guess what my Steam Deck will still work.

Alright I think this is going over your head at this point - we'll just agree to disagree on this one.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 19, 2021

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

sigher posted:

Yeah, there's a dock mentioned on the page and video have showed it docked and running a monitor with mouse and keyboard.

Oh that kicks rear end. I love the switch for Indie games, PC is just too big a footprint if I want to sit on my couch and play. But the Switch store sucks and some of the games (i.e. Binding of Isaac) are always way behind the PC versions on the updates. Being able to maybe playing higher end PC games that are controller friendly is just a bonus.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Stux posted:

believe you said it was 500 sq ft average in nyc correct? yet it was 800 im reading here? very interesting

it was 800, that was the average of the two studies. i believe half of that is 400? which is only 100 less than what you thought the average was inexplicably. sorry you are having trouble coping with this.

I posted my source for that, yeah, and the study you posted that you're using as the high mark was outdated and noted a downward trend in size(it was in fact entirely about a downward trend in size), the more current study is indeed lower.

Also, you still haven't actually responded at all to the fact that the study you posted literally just uses different measurement standards that make the square footage seem much smaller than it actually is, weird, wonder why that might be

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I mean the alternative to this thing is buying some sketchy tablet off of Kickstarter, I don't see anyone ever being weird about whether the "Aya Neo" is going to receive ongoing support or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation

Blade Runner posted:

I posted my source for that, yeah, and the study you posted that you're using as the high mark was outdated and noted a downward trend in size(it was in fact entirely about a downward trend in size), the more current study is indeed lower.

Also, you still haven't actually responded at all to the fact that the study you posted literally just uses different measurement standards that make the square footage seem much smaller than it actually is, weird, wonder why that might be

yet i believe you said it was 500 correct? and nyc apartments were very small, certainly not twice as big as other places? very interesting, could you expand on it further?