Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

homeless snail posted:

I mean the alternative to this thing is buying some sketchy tablet off of Kickstarter, I don't see anyone ever being weird about whether the "Aya Neo" is going to receive ongoing support or not

Duh - no one thinks that thing will last long term. The reason why people are being "weird" about support on this device is because it has the potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kirios posted:

Alright I think this is going over your head at this point - we'll just agree to disagree on this one.
Sorry I can't hear you over all the gaming I'm doing on my Valve Index, with my Steam Controller, via Steam Link, all this goodass hardware that Valve continues to support

Kirios posted:

Duh - no one thinks that thing will last long term. The reason why people are being "weird" about support on this device is because it has the potential.
What "potential"?? Please explain this to me. Its a portable PC. It doesn't do anything special, its just subsidized by Valve so its hella cheap comparatively and also probably to the same level of engineering as Valve's other hardware. Are you under the impression that this is some kind of console?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Stux posted:

yet i believe you said it was 500 correct? and nyc apartments were very small, certainly not twice as big as other places? very interesting, could you expand on it further?

Yeah, that was what my source said so that is indeed what I said. I'm using your source and all of your data and you're still objectively wrong, though, so that's very sad for you

Can you expand on why England does not have bathrooms or hallways please

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

vaginite posted:

Oh that kicks rear end. I love the switch for Indie games, PC is just too big a footprint if I want to sit on my couch and play. But the Switch store sucks and some of the games (i.e. Binding of Isaac) are always way behind the PC versions on the updates. Being able to maybe playing higher end PC games that are controller friendly is just a bonus.

This is what gets me excited for it, I'm not boxed into anything with it like I am my Switch (which doesn't see as much use as my PC). But how I'll have a (big rear end) portable that is a complete PC, has access to my whole Steam Library and could potentially run the Switch emulator effectively negating my need to really touch the Switch outside of online games of Smash? Yeah, sign me right the gently caress up. Not only that, but get Windows on this, get a Gamepass and MS Cloud solution, and PSNow and you basically have every console you could want in a portable device.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Hm. This explains the new library, I guess... Well, hopefully this attempt to break into hardware works out for them? The only Valve hardware I've seen in the wild, a friend got a Steam Machine as a birthday gift, but there was some issue with it that left him gaming on the old computer it was supposed to replace.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

catlord posted:

Hm. This explains the new library, I guess... Well, hopefully this attempt to break into hardware works out for them? The only Valve hardware I've seen in the wild, a friend got a Steam Machine as a birthday gift, but there was some issue with it that left him gaming on the old computer it was supposed to replace.

Steam apparently doesn't go into hardware much because the margins on it are garbage, but I honestly don't have any complaints on the Steam controller. It's kind of a weird design, but the build quality is decent and it works well enough.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gabe said that getting the price they did was tough, they're probably losing big on each Steam Deck but Nintendo does the same and they make it back on game sales so we'll see how that works out for Valve.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

homeless snail posted:

What "potential"?? Please explain this to me. Its a portable PC. It doesn't do anything special, its just subsidized by Valve so its hella cheap comparatively and also probably to the same level of engineering as Valve's other hardware. Are you under the impression that this is some kind of console?

I'll answer your question with a quote from someone else in this thread:

sigher posted:

This is what gets me excited for it, I'm not boxed into anything with it like I am my Switch (which doesn't see as much use as my PC). But how I'll have a (big rear end) portable that is a complete PC, has access to my whole Steam Library and could potentially run the Switch emulator effectively negating my need to really touch the Switch outside of online games of Smash? Yeah, sign me right the gently caress up. Not only that, but get Windows on this, get a Gamepass and MS Cloud solution, and PSNow and you basically have every console you could want in a portable device.

Because of stuff like this, snail. Folks are seeing this thing as some kind of utopian device that can do everything under the sun. But whole Steam Library? And Switch emulator? Gamepass / Cloud integration? PS Now? All of this is possible, yeah, but is Valve willing to do the work to make this thing stable? Partner with all of these providers to ensure things like Gamepass and PSNow run on it? Because lets be real, Valve's selling this lower partly because Windows isn't a license on it. I'm not 100% sure Microsoft is gonna be cool about that and offer full support to this box. Same with Sony - they could see it as competition in their space. Switch emulation also seems like a pretty massive pie in the sky - does this thing reasonably have specs to run Switch games remotely well at all? I thought that stuff was still in its infancy.

Regardless, the point is people want this thing to be the ultimate portable device to end all devices, and I'm just not sure Valve's up to the task to support the device to realize that potential. Hopefully I am wrong! I'm a Nintendo fan and I would personally love to see a device that eats Nintendo's lunch a little bit - I feel they are resting on their laurels a little too much lately.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

Blade Runner posted:

Yeah, that was what my source said so that is indeed what I said. I'm using your source and all of your data and you're still objectively wrong, though, so that's very sad for you

Can you expand on why England does not have bathrooms or hallways please

your source which had what citations? as opposed to two studies? and you were off by how much, 300 sq ft? thats nearly an average sized apartment on its own in some places.

many smaller places do not have hallways and have a communual bathroom which is why it wouldnt be counted. however, you were going off i believe about your giant apartments being tiny while being off in your estimations by 60%? anything more to add to this?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

Kirios posted:

Switch emulation also seems like a pretty massive pie in the sky - does this thing reasonably have specs to run Switch games remotely well at all? I thought that stuff was still in its infancy.

the neo is the same cpu architecture but running at 4ghz and it seems to get cpu bound below native switch performance w 2 cores pegged at 4ghz. steam deck is 500mhz slower.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Okay now I get it, sorry I didn't realize this was one of those things people have hyped up unreasonably to be a bunch of things it isn't. No you're not going to run Yuzu on it at anything near native speed, Microsoft probably isn't going to put the Xbox app on it but hey you can install Windows. PSNow uh idk, presumably that app already works on wine.

Please don't be disappointed in a year when it doesn't do the things that Valve never claimed it would do, though. it probably wont even suck your dick, smh

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Kirios posted:

Because of stuff like this, snail. Folks are seeing this thing as some kind of utopian device that can do everything under the sun. But whole Steam Library? And Switch emulator? Gamepass / Cloud integration? PS Now? All of this is possible, yeah, but is Valve willing to do the work to make this thing stable? Partner with all of these providers to ensure things like Gamepass and PSNow run on it? Because lets be real, Valve's selling this lower partly because Windows isn't a license on it. I'm not 100% sure Microsoft is gonna be cool about that and offer full support to this box. Same with Sony - they could see it as competition in their space. Switch emulation also seems like a pretty massive pie in the sky - does this thing reasonably have specs to run Switch games remotely well at all? I thought that stuff was still in its infancy.

Regardless, the point is people want this thing to be the ultimate portable device to end all devices, and I'm just not sure Valve's up to the task to support the device to realize that potential. Hopefully I am wrong! I'm a Nintendo fan and I would personally love to see a device that eats Nintendo's lunch a little bit - I feel they are resting on their laurels a little too much lately.

You can do Game Pass in a browser soon, and whether the current Switch emulators will work well on it is honestly difficult to say because we don't actually have the machine itself, and that can be temperamental. That said, Switch games generally emulate well enough on a 2400G, which is roughly equivalent to what you can probably expect. It's somewhat worse than the hardware included here in baseline specs but has vastly more power draw, so I'd call it a wash.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Okay now I get it, sorry I didn't realize this was one of those things people have hyped up unreasonably to be a bunch of things it isn't. No you're not going to run Yuzu on it at anything near native speed, Microsoft probably isn't going to put the Xbox app on it but hey you can install Windows. PSNow uh idk, presumably that app already works on wine.

Please don't be disappointed in a year when it doesn't do the things that Valve never claimed it would do, though. it probably wont even suck your dick, smh

All good - we're having a civil discussion about something that's still what...6 months out? I would love to see how well this thing runs Windows when you wipe Steam OS off of it honestly - I would like it as a quick grab and go PC that I can play some 2D games on Steam with. Hopefully it handles the dock as seamless as the Switch does - I think that's gonna be the #1 thing that will make me decide if I want it or not.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Stux posted:

your source which had what citations? as opposed to two studies? and you were off by how much, 300 sq ft? thats nearly an average sized apartment on its own in some places.

many smaller places do not have hallways and have a communual bathroom which is why it wouldnt be counted. however, you were going off i believe about your giant apartments being tiny while being off in your estimations by 60%? anything more to add to this?

No, they're not counted due to classifications, it's literally right there in what you posted. Your sources bluntly disagree with you, so I don't think it actually matters that they disagree with me honestly, but it's very funny how you're trying to move this off of the stuff you were wrong about

Stux posted:

do the goalposts also hover or are they on wheels

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

"Game Pass in a browser" kind conflates things though, yeah you can stream most of the library right now (maybe only if you have the expensive game pass? idk), but when most people talk about game pass they usually mean installing games locally with the Xbox app

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

vaginite posted:

Oh that kicks rear end. I love the switch for Indie games, PC is just too big a footprint if I want to sit on my couch and play. But the Switch store sucks and some of the games (i.e. Binding of Isaac) are always way behind the PC versions on the updates. Being able to maybe playing higher end PC games that are controller friendly is just a bonus.

The other thing is they've said it follows all the USB-C standards, so if the dock ends up being overpriced or you want more ports you can pick up any random USB-C laptop dock and it should work. Plus if you have a monitor with USB-C you should be able to plug it into the Deck directly with no dock at all.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

If I can play binding of isaac in the living room without turning my wife's lovely yoga laptop inside out to be a standing screen I'll get my $400 worth, don't think that's far fetched.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

vaginite posted:

If I can play binding of isaac in the living room without turning my wife's lovely yoga laptop inside out to be a standing screen I'll get my $400 worth, don't think that's far fetched.

But... Why not just get a Switch at that point?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

emulating consoles requires a lot of power beyond what the actual strength of the original hardware is. I don't know if Yuzu is particularly efficient but I'm not really counting on that in the slightest

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm not sure Gamepass would work too great on this handheld - maybe docked. Trying to play a steaming game over wireless sounds like an awful experience.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kirios posted:

All good - we're having a civil discussion about something that's still what...6 months out? I would love to see how well this thing runs Windows when you wipe Steam OS off of it honestly - I would like it as a quick grab and go PC that I can play some 2D games on Steam with. Hopefully it handles the dock as seamless as the Switch does - I think that's gonna be the #1 thing that will make me decide if I want it or not.
I do find it very funny that usually people are buying poo poo and then delete the stuff it came preinstalled with to gently caress around with Linux, but on this thing a lot of people are going to be deleting Linux and installing Windows instead. I don't know about performance but at least presumably if you make it boot straight to big picture mode, and if the Steam Deck stuff really is the new BPM interface, it'll at least work just as well in terms of all the inputs and poo poo working in Windows. That's one thing that really sucks about the Aya and GPDs, for being Windows tablets their Windows support is actually pretty hacky. Steam Input already makes it pretty easy to use Windows with a gamepad.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

Blade Runner posted:

No, they're not counted due to classifications, it's literally right there in what you posted. Your sources bluntly disagree with you, so I don't think it actually matters that they disagree with me honestly, but it's very funny how you're trying to move this off of the stuff you were wrong about

interesting to me because im clearly objectively correct, and yet here you stand, having embarrassed yourself claiming the average to be 500 sq ft when the reality was over 50% larger. simply proving my point, that didnt need to be proven as it was self evident anyway. interesting how you dont want to talk about that isnt it? also you seem to have had an issue reading that last post, but again, thats only to be expected at this point :D

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

homeless snail posted:

"Game Pass in a browser" kind conflates things though, yeah you can stream most of the library right now (maybe only if you have the expensive game pass? idk), but when most people talk about game pass they usually mean installing games locally with the Xbox app

I can understand that, but it still makes it an option to play the games on the thing.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

emulating consoles requires a lot of power beyond what the actual strength of the original hardware is. I don't know if Yuzu is particularly efficient but I'm not really counting on that in the slightest

That's very true, but I honestly think it's difficult to say without using it. Emulator performance can differ wildly between hardware. It very well might be garbage to try and run it, but even then, you can still play a pretty large portion of your Steam library and emulate all non-modern consules.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

yuzu is pretty good, but the steamdeck is an apu w 15w to work with with a cpu that caps out at 3.5ghz lol

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Switch's CPUs are garbage, the only thing that could be considered powerful (relatively) in the Switch is its graphics and that often doesn't require significantly more powerful hardware to emulate since you can do so at an API level.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Stux posted:

interesting to me because im clearly objectively correct, and yet here you stand, having embarrassed yourself claiming the average to be 500 sq ft when the reality was over 50% larger. simply proving my point, that didnt need to be proven as it was self evident anyway. interesting how you dont want to talk about that isnt it? also you seem to have had an issue reading that last post, but again, thats only to be expected at this point :D

My source said it was 500 so I said it was 500 and posted that

Your source said it was 700 so you posted that and said it was actually 800

I'm sorry that living in a tiny box without a bathroom has ruined your brain, it's very tragic

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

vaginite posted:

I can do this now with my nvidia shield going to my RTX powered PC, but it would be even more fun to go steamdeck -> pc -> projector totally needlessly.

Seriously, I do most of my gaming on my iPad between 2-4am which is the reason for my shameful Historic set completion numbers on Magic Arena. I'd love to be able to hit most of my PC library from the couch at 2 am, because I am often awake at that point when my sleep goes biphasic but way too unmotivated to go to my PC or strap on a HMD.

Blade Runner posted:

I'm sorry that living in a tiny box without a bathroom has ruined your brain, it's very tragic
yea one of my takeaways here is "never move to a smaller place than the 11 acres we have, if at all possible". I am actually in the process of doing the paperwork necessary to be buried on this property; human remains might complicate resale for my offspring, but in a world where we're not all dead to climate change, good, I'd like to inconvenience as many people for as long as possible.

Stux posted:

your source was someone saying it. my two sources were actual studies which come to 800 square foot. you were wrong by such a large degree that even if i was wrong here, you would still be more wrong. and yet i am right, and you are flailing. keep going though... we're nearly there

even if you're right all you are doing is illustrating that your standard of living, on this one particular metric, is substantially worse than the target demo for VR..... so, cool? I think a 3m x 3m space is something most people should have available and if they do not it is a failing of their government. I live in a dystopian failed state and I've been inside a whole bunch of section 8 housing that would be fine for VR if the residents had $300 to spare. Which they do not. Because this is a dystopian failed state.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 19, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

Blade Runner posted:

My source said it was 500 so I said it was 500 and posted that

Your source said it was 700 so you posted that and said it was actually 800

your source was someone saying it. my two sources were actual studies which come to 800 square foot. you were wrong by such a large degree that even if i was wrong here, you would still be more wrong. and yet i am right, and you are flailing. keep going though... we're nearly there

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Kirios posted:

Hopefully it handles the dock as seamless as the Switch does - I think that's gonna be the #1 thing that will make me decide if I want it or not.

I doubt it will be as seamless as the Switch, you can't really force a game to change resolution so the only way to transition seamlessly would be to output 1280x800 from the dock, which isn't ideal

Switch games have to go out of their way to handle the transition between docked and portable

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Kirios posted:

Folks are seeing this thing as some kind of utopian device that can do everything under the sun.

I'm definitely seeing some hype levels getting a little high. People need to keep it in check.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

There's videos of the GPD Win 3 at a decent clip and it still has a ways to go. I'm not banking on it running it well, if even at all, but the idea of that even being a possibility is dope as hell.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Stux posted:

Your two sources were the same study I posted and another study that is very outdated, and when I pointed out that the one study was very outdated you then simply decided to average the study that was inaccurate with the study that was current to get to your current thing

Basically you have to contort yourself into a pretzel with a bunch of massaged and generally inaccurate stats and ignore that they were measured by completely different standards to get close to your claim that you live in a tiny box

I'm sorry that your self worth is entirely built around being correct on the internet but you are wrong

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Kirios posted:

But... Why not just get a Switch at that point?

I have a Switch.

BoI still doesn't have Repetence which came out awhile ago, it's due to release on 9/30 on the Switch but that's a big maybe because Nicalis is porting it (and they loving suck). Plus on BoI profile continuity is pretty important because there's tons of stuff to unlock. I'd also just rather play it on PC on my steam account anyway, but I can't because if I live in my office/gameroom my wife gets mad. But playing BoI on two different profiles is stupid so I don't even bother playing it on the Switch.

Speaking of Nicalis they did a Cave Story port to Switch which is loving trash and doesn't even let you remap any keys and the fire key is on the face instead of using an (unmapped) trigger, meaning you can't aim the stick and shoot at the same time. This could be modded to get fixed but lol nope not on the Switch store and it didn't sell well enough for Nicalis to ever give a gently caress about again.

Lots of PC Indie games have this same problem, support stays strong for the PC version but the console versions all get forgotten.

Plus a bunch of indie games that never came out on the Switch that I'd love to play on the Switch, but they probably won't ever get ported.

And mods.

Not even mentioning the Switch Store never has any sales or anything so you're paying 20-30 bucks for games you could get on Steam for $5-10 on sale days.

TLDR: The Switch store and software support sucks

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

repiv posted:

I doubt it will be as seamless as the Switch, you can't really force a game to change resolution so the only way to transition seamlessly would be to output 1280x800 from the dock, which isn't ideal

Switch games have to go out of their way to handle the transition between docked and portable
No evidence but on the steam deck website when the guy is playing CKIII docked, the UI scale seems conspicuously large to me, as if he's playing at 720p

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
Put my reserve in late to the show on purpose, will be getting the 512 gb deck eventually. Just hoping this will provide me pc games while out on the road as I drive a semi. I just want my pc to be mobile too, and the ability to play my steam games on the go (Hopefully my epic library too) would make me ecstatic. Anything beyond that as far as emulators is concerned is a bonus to me. Putting in my reserve late hopefully will give me plenty of time to allow things to pan out and see if the device is still worth it. Fingers crossed!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Hardware wise, it's a low spec laptop with an iGPU that's somewhat but not radically more powerful than AMD's current laptop offerings and more ram than other things at the price point. It might be able to hold 60 fps at 1080p lowest settings but realistically you're not going to want to use it for anything above native res, and even then it's unlikely to max out modern games. Buy it for the form factor, don't expect performance not commensurate with a low-mid end laptop.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/lawrenceyang/status/1416485869091913728

Not that IGN really showed games loading, but still

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

Blade Runner posted:

Your two sources were the same study I posted and another study that is very outdated, and when I pointed out that the one study was very outdated you then simply decided to average the study that was inaccurate with the study that was current to get to your current thing

Basically you have to contort yourself into a pretzel with a bunch of massaged and generally inaccurate stats and ignore that they were measured by completely different standards to get close to your claim that you live in a tiny box

I'm sorry that your self worth is entirely built around being correct on the internet but you are wrong

youre saying the study is outdated like the apartments built then are destroyed, and onlyl the ones in the newer study exist at all. you claimed it was 500 sq ft. that was factually incorrect. youer so unable to back up your own claim that youve abandoned it to try and argue for an average size that is still 50% more than what you said. but unfortunately, i am, was, and will continue to be correct, and you know this insnide. im sorry.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Stux posted:

youre saying the study is outdated like the apartments built then are destroyed, and onlyl the ones in the newer study exist at all. you claimed it was 500 sq ft. that was factually incorrect. youer so unable to back up your own claim that youve abandoned it to try and argue for an average size that is still 50% more than what you said. but unfortunately, i am, was, and will continue to be correct, and you know this insnide. im sorry.

The newer study includes those old apartments, I'm not sure you know what "averages" are

You claimed it was half the amount, which you were objectively wrong about

I am willing to say I was wrong about it being 500 feet if you say you are wrong about it being half, a thing you will not do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

GotDonuts posted:

Just hoping this will provide me pc games while out on the road as I drive a semi.

I.... hope you mean, at rest stations and when stopping for the night, and not "well I'm playing while I do 85mph but I have my knee on the wheel so I'll feel it if I hit the guide bumps" :smith:

only asking because I have heard of people doing the latter with books and portable DVD players which really freaks me out any time I am passing or near trucks on the interstate