Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'd expect to see a starcraft FPS sooner than an MMO, tbh, especially with all the shooters that warhammer 40k has been getting.

If they did do an mmo I would expect it to be a single faction one as the humans, with the zerg and Protoss as antagonists. The horde vs alliance system worked well for WoW but I just don't think that bliz has it in them to make a three way conflict with difference classes for each group, unless they do the SWTOR thing and go "OK so the jedi have the Heroic Strike skill, and the Sith have the Evil Strike skill"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
blizzard will make Titan real everyone wants an Overwatch mmo right

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I don't think Blizzard will take a third crack at a MMO. They managed to salvage Titan into Overwatch and that was probably that for further MMO development at Blizzard.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Titan sounded like the dumbest poo poo ever and it's funny they got a successful FPS out of it.

CuddleCryptid posted:

If they did do an mmo I would expect it to be a single faction one as the humans, with the zerg and Protoss as antagonists. The horde vs alliance system worked well for WoW but I just don't think that bliz has it in them to make a three way conflict with difference classes for each group, unless they do the SWTOR thing and go "OK so the jedi have the Heroic Strike skill, and the Sith have the Evil Strike skill"

I would've assumed Terran and Protoss with Zerg as mobs and such but considering how much WoW got streamlined (earlier on I remember reading the classes were going to be based on units instead of the generic MMO ones we got) you're probably right that if it ever happened it'd be that way.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

If they did it right Starcraft would be an asymmetrical FPS where humans generally have the advantage at range and zerg have tools to get close and absolutely gently caress up your poo poo in melee. And you could have builder classes for people who enjoy support and maybe aren't great at FPS but like the world. No idea how Protoss would fit in.

What I'm saying is Blizz please stop doing warcraft and put your resources into making Natural Selection with better graphics, pretty please

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
protoss only get one class: pilot. you can choose carrier or fighter

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chomposaur posted:

If they did it right Starcraft would be an asymmetrical FPS where humans generally have the advantage at range and zerg have tools to get close and absolutely gently caress up your poo poo in melee. And you could have builder classes for people who enjoy support and maybe aren't great at FPS but like the world. No idea how Protoss would fit in.

What I'm saying is Blizz please stop doing warcraft and put your resources into making Natural Selection with better graphics, pretty please

If Games Workshop hasn't been smart enough to get somebody to do Battlefield 40k I don't think Blizz is smart enough to do it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

If Games Workshop hasn't been smart enough to get somebody to do Battlefield 40k I don't think Blizz is smart enough to do it.

They tried at least once
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000:_Eternal_Crusade

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Third person...no Necron or Tau...I see why it failed.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Itzena posted:

Going to be interesting to see if :blizz: decide to put the necessary effort (and money) in to try and push WoW back to being "Number One MMO" , or if they're fine with a managed decline to :soe: levels of "a new zone and a couple of dozen quest counts as an expansion, right?"

If they were smart they'd do what Square-Enix did. Which would translate to releasing one more expansion to WoW that is up to quality and then replacing it with a high quality sequel.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'd expect to see a starcraft FPS sooner than an MMO, tbh, especially with all the shooters that warhammer 40k has been getting.

Possible but the FPS craze has been dead as long as the MMO craze.

Outside of long established franchises it seems the hot thing right now to do with shooters is to make them third person battle royales or with MOBA elements.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 18, 2021

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

If they were smart they'd do what Square-Enix did. Which would translate to releasing one more expansion to WoW that is up to quality and then replacing it with a high quality sequel.

Possible but the FPS craze has been dead as long as the MMO craze.

Outside of long established franchises it seems the hot thing right now to do with shooters is to make them third person battle royales or with MOBA elements.

A relatively pure FPS is still playable just fine, the problem is that you can't overmonetise them nearly as much as anything with MOBA elements. Why sell one weapon skin when you can also sell a skin for every single class and pickable character?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

OhFunny posted:

I don't think Blizzard will take a third crack at a MMO. They managed to salvage Titan into Overwatch and that was probably that for further MMO development at Blizzard.

Making a new MMORPG will be Blizzards desperation move. So it'll be awhile longer before they start to drop hints to the public that this is what they are working on.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Blizz already tried a Starcraft shooter and canceled it. That it was apparently going well but got axed in favor of Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2 definitely sounds like the actions of a studio with an eye towards the future, and not one just desperately turtling around their safer IPs.

It sucks cause I've been watching some pro SC2 and fiddling with the multiplayer myself lately, and I constantly catch myself thinking "This would be an incredible Battlefield style game".

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I definitely got excited about StarCraft: Ghost from an issue of PC Gamer back in the day.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
isnt overwatch 2 just overwatch with slightly better visuals and more PvE

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Seems like it should just be an expansion. I played the poo poo out of OW at launch but I have no desire to get OW2.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

eonwe posted:

It also has some RPG-lite aspects in that you can unlock/pick specific abilities for different heroes to match your playstyle. Honestly that and the enhanced visuals are the main draw. Overwatch already has PvE (it is not that good), and based on all of the videos I've seen Overwatch 2's PvE looks nearly identical.

Let's be real, if Blizzard ever were to make a new mmo, even if it were a different IP than WoW, they'd basically just make WoW again.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

eonwe posted:

Idk if this is still the case but when they announced originally it was going to be a free engine/visual update for PvP and a paid PvE mode plus skin pack. They've announced some pretty major changes for PvP, too - it's going to be 5v5 (1 tank 2 healer/offense), and they're taking a lot of CC skills out of the game. The gameplay they've shown for the PvE mode has not been especially promising so far, it just looked like the mediocre bot stomps they put in the game for seasonal events except your dude has Borderlands-style talent trees.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

A relatively pure FPS is still playable just fine, the problem is that you can't overmonetise them nearly as much as anything with MOBA elements. Why sell one weapon skin when you can also sell a skin for every single class and pickable character?

It's very much publishers doing their best to kill a sub-genre. You see it all the time.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

eonwe posted:

tbh I think overwatch with good PvE would be a pretty big draw for a lot of folks, I'd also love if they made a new FPS built from the ground up with co-op as a main feature

I think I have five or six friends along with me who pretty much exclusively moved to the SC2 co-op mode once they got that going

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Chillgamesh posted:

Idk if this is still the case but when they announced originally it was going to be a free engine/visual update for PvP and a paid PvE mode plus skin pack. They've announced some pretty major changes for PvP, too - it's going to be 5v5 (1 tank 2 healer/offense), and they're taking a lot of CC skills out of the game. The gameplay they've shown for the PvE mode has not been especially promising so far, it just looked like the mediocre bot stomps they put in the game for seasonal events except your dude has Borderlands-style talent trees.

tbh with all the effort they put into their dumb worldbuilding they might as well just make a Destiny clone at this point.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I remember the thread laughing when the wildstar devs hated their playerbase so much they buffed bosses mid-fight when it looked people were going to kill their big final boss.

WoW devs just did the same thing apparently.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I remember the thread laughing when the wildstar devs hated their playerbase so much they buffed bosses mid-fight when it looked people were going to kill their big final boss.

Wildstar did that too? I only heard about Everquest doing that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Didn't the FFXI devs claim the way players finally took down Absolute Virtue wasn't legitimate and then released a video showing the "proper" way which didn't give any usable info? Coulda been Pandemonium Warden.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

Didn't the FFXI devs claim the way players finally took down Absolute Virtue wasn't legitimate and then released a video showing the "proper" way which didn't give any usable info? Coulda been Pandemonium Warden.

It was AV, and yes.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

Pretty much the players used exploits to kill him a couple times and the players involved ate permabans, then they figured out a way to cheese the poo poo out of him with incredibly high DPS and the devs gave the boss a special snowflake resistance to the DPS skill they were using to cheese him (and he was the only boss in the game with that resistance, they made it specially for him). Then they put out a video showing that to prevent AV from using a super move, you had to use your super move right after he used his, and that'd lock him from using it again.

Except the window for locking his super move was 20ms and all the FFXI servers were in Japan.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

When players finally did beat the raid one of the devs posted this:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

MH Knights posted:

wow, mmo devs are insecure freaks???

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

MH Knights posted:

It was lmao after 3 game, it was roflmao after the 10th game

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Chillgamesh posted:

Pretty much the players used exploits to kill him a couple times and the players involved ate permabans
...why ban them?

Chillgamesh posted:

Then they put out a video showing that to prevent AV from using a super move, you had to use your super move right after he used his, and that'd lock him from using it again.

Except the window for locking his super move was 20ms and all the FFXI servers were in Japan.

LMAO

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Oh yeah, frenzy timers, I know about those.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

...why ban them?

The exploits they used were pretty cheaty. The zone AV spawned in was split into a northern and southern half that weren't directly connected to each other in any way, so the first kill took advantage of that by dragging him to a spot in the northwestern corner of the southern section of the map where he spawned and then killing him through a wall from the northern half. He couldn't path to or target any of the players attacking him so eventually they killed him. He dropped nothing and I think every single player on AV's threat table that fight caught a perma. The second method involved dragging him to an NPC that let you rewatch previously viewed cut scenes and mashing into a cut scene while you had threat. His AI would break and he'd just sit there harmlessly and let you beat on him. Whole bunch of tanks caught a perma for that lol

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Chillgamesh posted:

The exploits they used were pretty cheaty. The zone AV spawned in was split into a northern and southern half that weren't directly connected to each other in any way, so the first kill took advantage of that by dragging him to a spot in the northwestern corner of the southern section of the map where he spawned and then killing him through a wall from the northern half. He couldn't path to or target any of the players attacking him so eventually they killed him. He dropped nothing and I think every single player on AV's threat table that fight caught a perma. The second method involved dragging him to an NPC that let you rewatch previously viewed cut scenes and mashing into a cut scene while you had threat. His AI would break and he'd just sit there harmlessly and let you beat on him. Whole bunch of tanks caught a perma for that lol

That’s pretty bastardly of the company.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That's so dumb - exploits are great especially when you make your boss total unbeatable bullshit.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

LLSix posted:

Wildstar did that too? I only heard about Everquest doing that.

the lead raid dev in wildstar was sitting on a GM character manually editing values mid fight. he got caught by the guild going for world first multiple times. first time he accidentally posted a command in /say chat, then on people would just /who command him and see him in raid instances whenever he forgot to go invisible

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Chillgamesh posted:

That is awesome of the players. gently caress Square-Enix for banning them. I could understand if they used some hacks or something but they just used good strategy.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

That is awesome of the players. gently caress Square-Enix for banning them. I could understand if they used some hacks or something but they just used good strategy.

When did exploits become strategy? It's not like they legitimately kited in circles or anything.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

And Echo was still so good they beat that awful idiot fight anyway.

I was 1000% prepared to watch Sylv go past 45% and for there to just be a required multi-week gear grind to beat it, even for the best players in the world.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Biowarfare posted:

When did exploits become strategy? It's not like they legitimately kited in circles or anything.

Considering how bullshit the "legitimate" way to beat Absolute Virtue was I think anything the players did was fair game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Exploits can easily become part of a game's core mechanics, just look at Marvel vs Capcom or Super Mario Maker.