Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

They're badly down in the Newspoll:

https://theconversation.com/view-from-the-hill-morrison-and-coalition-sink-in-newspoll-on-the-back-of-rollout-shambles-164699

When Shorten lost what seemed like an unloseable election I thought that was it, for sure, we were stuck with another Howard era. And I thought that even more when their approval shot up after the pandemic started. But the way things have been going lately, and the fact they've probably lost a lot of support in Victoria after all the sniping and Sydney favouritism, they could actually be hosed by the next election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Albanese will still lose

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

freebooter posted:

https://theconversation.com/view-from-the-hill-morrison-and-coalition-sink-in-newspoll-on-the-back-of-rollout-shambles-164699

When Shorten lost what seemed like an unloseable election I thought that was it, for sure, we were stuck with another Howard era. And I thought that even more when their approval shot up after the pandemic started. But the way things have been going lately, and the fact they've probably lost a lot of support in Victoria after all the sniping and Sydney favouritism, they could actually be hosed by the next election.

https://youtu.be/H47ow4_Cmk0

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

bell jar posted:

Albanese will still lose

Incorrect. Albanese will win and announce that we have to cut Newstart further.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

freebooter posted:

Australians will tolerate just about anything from a Coalition government.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

In brighter news, Porter and his barrister are likely going to have to pay ~$500,000 in court costs over his defamation case.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...fees-to-jo-dyer

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

freebooter posted:

putting my hopes and dreams in opinion polling in tyool 2021

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

They aren't going to go to an election before lots of people have been vaccinated, because there's too much chance of their being lockdowns happening during the election campaign which could massively burn them.

I think they'll push it right to May next year, hoping that international borders are being re-opened by then and they can make some very optimistic predictions of how Australia is poised to do really well based off their management of the country.

It will end up being a close election, because the Australian electorate falls for it every time.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.
There's a possibility that Labor gently caress up between now and the federal election - that's still a year away, they've got time - but I think there's a few state elections that are guaranteed victories. I think the only way they lose Victoria is if we find out that Daniel Andrews really did break his back trying to sacrifice a baby at an adrenachrome party.

Enough resentment at NSW's Liberal state government for loving up the initial response to this newest outbreak and the federal government for loving up the vaccine rollout (not just quantity issues, but all the uncertainty over who should get what) isn't going away, especially if this pattern of rolling lockdowns continues into next year. I don't know what the reaction is like in other parts of the country but I've definitely heard people talk about this outbreak and lockdown like Berejiklian personally flew over here to cough all over our economy. I don't see how that doesn't impact how people will view the Coalition as we get closer to the election, barring some kind of Liberal miracle.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Sierra Madre posted:

There's a possibility that Labor gently caress up between now and the federal election - that's still a year away, they've got time - but I think there's a few state elections that are guaranteed victories. I think the only way they lose Victoria is if we find out that Daniel Andrews really did break his back trying to sacrifice a baby at an adrenachrome party.

Enough resentment at NSW's Liberal state government for loving up the initial response to this newest outbreak and the federal government for loving up the vaccine rollout (not just quantity issues, but all the uncertainty over who should get what) isn't going away, especially if this pattern of rolling lockdowns continues into next year. I don't know what the reaction is like in other parts of the country but I've definitely heard people talk about this outbreak and lockdown like Berejiklian personally flew over here to cough all over our economy. I don't see how that doesn't impact how people will view the Coalition as we get closer to the election, barring some kind of Liberal miracle.

I've already seen the brain melted takes on boomerbook that these lockdowns are just to make the Federal LNP look bad, not because they're actually necessary. Some people will justify anything.

Eediot Jedi posted:

Scott this is not what Dan meant when he said treat covid like a fire that's not out.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Federal Liberals always do badly in Victoria, so the added antipathy here towards Morrisson and his failures re: vaccine rollout and the NSW favouritism won't hurt him or the tories too much.

Albanese being an invisible milquetoast charisma void who is forced to work against a media that refuses to even put him on the screen and when it does is actively hostile, also works in the federal governments favour.

The way Gladys is trying to blame the lockdowns in NSW on the feds poor handling of vaccines might hurt them. Seeing that Western NSW is a big Liberal heartland and to lose seats there will actually sting. But I dunno how the Sydney media is taking lockdowns and who the filthy plague ridden Sydney-ites are blaming. As has already been said, outside NSW there is a lot of anger towards Gladys.

Dictator Commo-Fascist Dan is very lucky that Gladys has taken most of the lockdown anger away from him. And even though the state election is a whiles away, I can't see him losing, but I can see him maybe dropping a seat or two.

Tasmania will remain Liberal at a state level, due to the sex-pest ex(?) leader of the opposition. Gladys seems to be teflon, so at best she will maybe lose a little of her majority. People like Paluszczuk, and even though her Tokyo trip might be a little tone-deaf, I can't see her losing whenever Qld. go to the polls next time. The Liberals have 2 seats in all of WA. And I don't know or care at all about South Australia's political landscape. gently caress 'em.

But ultimately, Scomo will hold off calling an election for as long as he possibly can, and then will end up winning, but on a reduced margin and probably on the back of a bunch of "Labah Waste" ads and Clive Palmer fuckery.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

freebooter posted:

Incorrect. Albanese will win and announce that we have to cut Newstart further.

But only for single mothers.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Albanese was briefly interviewed on the ABC this morning about his trip to Tasmania and he had a full minute of excruciating mush mouth talking about how often he visits there an why thats important (during a pandemic???).

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

freebooter posted:

This country is hosed and deserves what it gets.

Even after the massive ongoing fuckup that is the rona response
Even after massive rorts like car parks and sports slush funds
Even after all this poo poo, its still 53-47%

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But only for single mothers.

Julia Albanese

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Animal Friend posted:

Albanese was briefly interviewed on the ABC this morning about his trip to Tasmania and he had a full minute of excruciating mush mouth talking about how often he visits there an why thats important (during a pandemic???).

Could it have been any worse than this bumbling poo poo he doled out a few days ago: https://www.9news.com.au/national/16-july-albanese-covid-plan/b25a48e2-42c0-4d8a-b99c-f1242a936e9a

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Be interesting to see the polls when we end up in Delta suppression for a couple of months nationwide.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

Federal Liberals always do badly in Victoria, so the added antipathy here towards Morrisson and his failures re: vaccine rollout and the NSW favouritism won't hurt him or the tories too much.

ALP need to run wall to wall advertising with Frydenberg calling the state “whingers” and pushing the PM for Sydney line.

Make them fight for every seat.

Capt.Whorebags fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 20, 2021

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Eediot Jedi posted:

Scott this is not what Dan meant when he said treat covid like a fire that's not out.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Capt.Whorebags posted:

ALP need to run wall to wall advertising with Frydenberg calling the state “whingers” and pushing the PM for Sydney line.

Make them fight for every seat.

"now is not the time to play politics"

the alp don't have a spine they wouldn't do anything like that

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones
What I find interesting is that now most of the population is under lockdown, we’ve hear nothing from the PM

He appears that he is hiding.

No words of comfort, nothing.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd need the polls to be 60/40 and then i'd still be hesitant to believe them

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cvisors posted:

What I find interesting is that now most of the population is under lockdown, we’ve hear nothing from the PM

lol, yeah as if he gives a gently caress

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones

bowmore posted:

lol, yeah as if he gives a gently caress

Exactly, that’s the issue. All he seems to care about is been PM.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

cvisors posted:

he is the most useless dickhead in Australia

wtf does he even do lol?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

cvisors posted:

Exactly, that’s the issue. All he seems to care about is been PM.

correct, and he will say anything to stay as PM.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

1000 Sweaty Rikers posted:

he is the most useless dickhead in Australia

wtf does he even do lol?

Protect corrupt LNP members, funnel money to his business mates?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

This country is hosed and deserves what it gets.

Even after the massive ongoing fuckup that is the rona response
Even after massive rorts like car parks and sports slush funds
Even after all this poo poo, its still 53-47%

dont forgetting the multiple accusations of rape against several sitting members of parliament.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BrigadierSensible posted:

Tasmania will remain Liberal at a state level, due to the sex-pest ex(?) leader of the opposition. Gladys seems to be teflon, so at best she will maybe lose a little of her majority. People like Paluszczuk, and even though her Tokyo trip might be a little tone-deaf, I can't see her losing whenever Qld. go to the polls next time. The Liberals have 2 seats in all of WA. And I don't know or care at all about South Australia's political landscape. gently caress 'em.

But ultimately, Scomo will hold off calling an election for as long as he possibly can, and then will end up winning, but on a reduced margin and probably on the back of a bunch of "Labah Waste" ads and Clive Palmer fuckery.

Gladys has a two seat majority in NSW so there's not much she can lose. I kinda think that the current lock down has annoyed a lot of people off - not because it happened but it didnt happen early enough and it's been poorly managed, so we now have ended up with the current shitfest. Closing construction so abruptly - which didnt happen in the last lot of lockdowns - has pissed off a lot of people too. Might be two years before the next election and we have a dog-poo poo dumb opposition but I'ld guess she'll lose enough support to need the Shooter and Fishers to stay in power

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Seemlar posted:

Could it have been any worse than this bumbling poo poo he doled out a few days ago: https://www.9news.com.au/national/16-july-albanese-covid-plan/b25a48e2-42c0-4d8a-b99c-f1242a936e9a

Somehow yes.

Man needs public speaking lessons or something. Idk if this young upstart is cut out for a future in politics.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Labor will win the next federal election. The newspoll breakdowns state by state show that the biggest swing towards Labor is in Queensland.

That's not a statistical anomaly.

Brisbane is literally the crown to win in the country because the amount of knife's edge Greater Brisbane seats held by the LNP is ridiculous.

Since 2019 Newspoll has gradually been showing evidence of a 5 point swing to Labor in Queensland and a 9 point swing to Labor in WA (whom we don't care about because there's not many seats there to win)

Even the slightest, slightest clue that Queensland swings kinda red next election, the Morrison government is gone.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Anidav posted:

Labor will win the next federal election. The newspoll breakdowns state by state show that the biggest swing towards Labor is in Queensland.

Brisbane is literally the crown to win in the country because the amount of knife's edge Greater Brisbane seats held by the LNP is ridiculous.

Since 2019 Newspoll has gradually been showing evidence of a 5 point swing to Labor in Queensland and a 9 point swing to Labor in WA (whom we don't care about because there's not many seats there to win)

Even the slightest, slightest clue that Queensland swings kinda red next election, the Morrison government is gone.

:ok:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

”The Delphic Oracle” posted:

if Albanese goes to an election a neo-liberal party will be destroyed

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Anidav posted:

Labor will win the next federal election.

You mean this in the sense of "Labor won't win this federal election, but they will win the next one", right?

Right?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

A Labor win is always one election away.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Since the pandemic had proven that in terms of politics people only care about what's happened in the last ten minutes, the Liberals will probably shoot back up in the polls once everybody's vaccinated and can go to Bali again around New Year's.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

freebooter posted:

Since the pandemic had proven that in terms of politics people only care about what's happened in the last ten minutes, the Liberals will probably shoot back up in the polls once everybody's vaccinated and can go to Bali again around New Year's.

i'm quietly confident they'll find something else to gently caress up in the ten minutes before the election

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

freebooter posted:

The reaction to borders reopening is hard to predict.

Once borders open we will have Covid in the community permanently. With as many people as possible vaccinated we're probably looking at flu numbers of infected and dead each year. That seems inevitable at this point, but Australians have got used (outbreaks aside) to not having it spreading uncontrolled. We'll eventually accept it because it will become the norm, but initially it will be a massive increase, in contrast to much of the world where it "just" being as bad as strong flu years is a massive improvement to the situation they have faced over the last 18 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

alf_pogs posted:

i'm quietly confident they'll find something else to gently caress up in the ten minutes before the election

If they do they'll just dump Morrison for someone else and all the stink will magically vanish.