Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

jivjov posted:

AFAIK the voucher is being sent out my e-mail regardless and joining the discord is just an optional perk

Correct. I don't know if they're waiting on people submitting the survey or not but I just put N/A on it myself. That's not the sort of Discord I join, generally. And I have my PDF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
So Monte Cook has a new thing

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/montecookgames/the-devil-made-us-do-it

It has a quickstart/primer/demo and it looks interesting.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It looks like someone forced MC to play a story game and he's grown as a designer?

I'm curious to see how this develops!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Received Orange Nebula's Unsettled today. Excellent components and Game Trayz storage. Hoping to bring it to the table tomorrow.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

So Monte Cook has a new thing

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/montecookgames/the-devil-made-us-do-it

It has a quickstart/primer/demo and it looks interesting.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
That's got a real Continuum vibe to it.

Looking at the mechanics, it seems kind of neat. Reminds me a little of Warhammer Fantasy 3e in how you're building a dicepool based on skills and circumstances. I will say it's weird that it talks about how failed die rolls aren't about how well you did, but there's a "failure, and" result if you snake-eyes your roll.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 20, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Sounds like someone read The Department of Truth.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

moths posted:

It looks like someone forced MC to play a story game and he's grown as a designer?

I'm curious to see how this develops!

I have to admit, I've liked most of his work in game design, especially Arcana Evolved (I am a grognard, so... )The quickstart is definitely worth taking a look at.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
The concept and the art style are absolute catnip to me, but I have zero faith in Cook as a designer at this point. I'll wait until it's done and some reviews are in.

I guess I could read the quickstart... or I could do a deeper read of Lancer and Gubat Banwa while I try to design a crunchy fights/drama game of my own.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I like Cook OK as a person; He seems sincere in his enthusiasm and creativity. Often though, I feel like his execution falls into familiar no-risk territory and he just sorta boring-ups an otherwise cool concept.

I downloaded the preview to check out later, though! It looks like he's playing around with giving players much more agency, and it would take someone with industry clout like Monte Cook to get that shift more widely accepted at tables.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I was a little doubtful but reading the little preview "primer" thing it's actually pretty neat. Feels like they're trying to really drive home the whole storygame premise for people who aren't used to it. You've got stuff like

quote:

One thing to keep in mind is that Liars themselves almost always know what they’re doing, even if the players don’t. The Liars are skilled, talented, and cool. When a Liar tries something, there might be a die roll involved, and that roll determines success or failure. The outcome isn’t a measure of whether or not the character performs their action well. Liars almost always do things well. The die roll result determines if the choice the Liar made was the right one.
and

quote:

When you lie, think of yourself not as a player, but as the GM for a brief moment. The GM can normally create whatever they feel fits the narrative. With a lie, the player can too. The GM is not going to introduce something impossible or inappropriate to the narrative, so you shouldn’t try to do so either. The GM isn’t going to just have a bomb go off and kill the PCs, ending the game, so you shouldn’t think in such absolute, wide-sweeping terms either. Work within the story to get what you need.
which are... interesting? I'm not sure how to feel about it and I think I'd want to listen to some longer APs. Seems like the kind of thing where a bad traditional GM might not get it, even with the coaching.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Cook usually has a good idea, great production values, and mediocre rules. This looks by far the best rules I've seen from him, I like the premise and a 12 heist campaign sounds good enough that I'm backing.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

gschmidl posted:

Received Orange Nebula's Unsettled today. Excellent components and Game Trayz storage. Hoping to bring it to the table tomorrow.

Nice! I’m really excited for Unsettled and hope you post a review when you get it to the table. I really liked Vindication and the company seems really solid, so hopefully it’s as enjoyable!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Are adventure books TG? They count, right?
We're making an CYOA book called The Exquisite Corpse In Maggot's Keep, it'll be written in the Exquisite Corpse format, which means it'll have lots of contributors writing the various sprawling threads and plotlines. It's being illustrated by JN Butler, who also did the artwork on TEN MILLION HP PLANET, and Wizardpunk. Should be launching in mid-August.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gkomisar/the-exquisite-corpse-in-maggots-keep

This is the first project from us not run directly by me, but Gabriel's an excellent writer and I'll be mentoring them through the production process - and we're partnered with Exalted Funeral to collab on the publishing side, so it's in safe hands.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Vidmaster posted:

Nice! I’m really excited for Unsettled and hope you post a review when you get it to the table. I really liked Vindication and the company seems really solid, so hopefully it’s as enjoyable!

We played it 4P and lost, but not as badly as I expected after the rapid dwindling of time at first. We had a bit of bad luck with the terrain right next to the starting tile, and obviously needed to learn what to do where and when, but the efficiency of our turns, especially with all the additional actions coming in, became notably better as the game progressed.

There's a bunch of annoying small typos and omissions in the rulebook, but only one thing is outright wrong, and everything is correct on all the player sheets. I was able to recite 90% of the rules from memory after reading the rulebook once, in about 20 minutes, then looking up details as needed.

We all enjoyed it. I assume the first survival task (of 3 each) on a planet will help you learn about the cards enough to aid you with the other two, but each planet is different from the others. I think this'll offer a ton of gameplay, and it's good that they don't make the first scenario a cakewalk that nobody would want to ever replay.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Any thoughts on Chronicles of Drunagor? It has a new campaign up on Gamefound and I'm honestly not able to take the time to process just how *good* the gameplay actually is, either for the original or for the expansion. Naturally, FOMO has me considering backing regardless, but I figured goons might share their thoughts.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Memnaelar posted:

Any thoughts on Chronicles of Drunagor? It has a new campaign up on Gamefound and I'm honestly not able to take the time to process just how *good* the gameplay actually is, either for the original or for the expansion. Naturally, FOMO has me considering backing regardless, but I figured goons might share their thoughts.

I've watched a couple of One Stop Coop Shop playthrough videos of it and am torn myself. On the one hand, it clearly has very strong production, and it has some specifically interesting design ideas. Characters have a set of actions on their sheet related to their class and their own unique identity, and supplement that with a role that contributes cards with additional actions. You have a pool of colored action cubes, and those cubes can be spent on various actions (some of which require a specific color, others a wider range) on your sheet, but you have a finite number of each color and they stay used (some actions can recover them) until you voluntarily recover them, which forces you to seal an action slot and if you do too much of that you fail (there are ways to restore them). Also, interaction points have you look at a big full color illustration and choose particular items to interact with for storybook results (you have a limited number of interactions per point). Doors are little booklets that open up with the new setup stuff right in there. There's multilevel terrain trays and darkness spawning in tetromino shapes that make the terrain increasingly hostile. All of this looks quite cool to me.

But the downsides are that it's quite expensive and minis-intensive, and that terrain tray stuff etc is clearly a large storage burden. And, oh yeah, the setting seems fairly generic fantasy (if so far semi-interesting), and, most tellingly, a lot of actions are resolved with single unmitigated d20+bonus(es) rolls and do nothing if you roll too low. I don't like that in D&D, and I like it even less in boardgames. But swingy dice resolution could be tolerable if the rest of it's interesting, and it seems like maybe it is? So, torn.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

malkav11 posted:

I've watched a couple of One Stop Coop Shop playthrough videos of it and am torn myself. On the one hand, it clearly has very strong production, and it has some specifically interesting design ideas. Characters have a set of actions on their sheet related to their class and their own unique identity, and supplement that with a role that contributes cards with additional actions. You have a pool of colored action cubes, and those cubes can be spent on various actions (some of which require a specific color, others a wider range) on your sheet, but you have a finite number of each color and they stay used (some actions can recover them) until you voluntarily recover them, which forces you to seal an action slot and if you do too much of that you fail (there are ways to restore them). Also, interaction points have you look at a big full color illustration and choose particular items to interact with for storybook results (you have a limited number of interactions per point). Doors are little booklets that open up with the new setup stuff right in there. There's multilevel terrain trays and darkness spawning in tetromino shapes that make the terrain increasingly hostile. All of this looks quite cool to me.

But the downsides are that it's quite expensive and minis-intensive, and that terrain tray stuff etc is clearly a large storage burden. And, oh yeah, the setting seems fairly generic fantasy (if so far semi-interesting), and, most tellingly, a lot of actions are resolved with single unmitigated d20+bonus(es) rolls and do nothing if you roll too low. I don't like that in D&D, and I like it even less in boardgames. But swingy dice resolution could be tolerable if the rest of it's interesting, and it seems like maybe it is? So, torn.

I went all in on the original Kickstarter and can confirm that the production is excellent. Good details on the minis and everything is really solid. The game does take up a lot of space though due to all the minis, but they also somewhat addressed that by adding standees for the big bosses in the new one with optional minis. I haven’t played enough to have much of an opinion on the gameplay, but it seems decent, and the doors and interaction points are a cool touch. I do wish it had something like Arena the Contests residual damage so combat was more consistent, but overall it felt fun at least.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
The DCC Dying Earth Kickstarter is down to about 45 minutes, if anyone's been putting that off. I don't think they'll hit the "send the authors to stay at the Vance estate and see what they come up with" stretch goal unfortunately, but I could be surprised - it's only about $30k away.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Arcsech posted:

The DCC Dying Earth Kickstarter is down to about 45 minutes, if anyone's been putting that off. I don't think they'll hit the "send the authors to stay at the Vance estate and see what they come up with" stretch goal unfortunately, but I could be surprised - it's only about $30k away.
Oh wow, the 2nd box set was unlocked.

I couldn't pass up the $110 level; I love DCC and I love Vance, so...

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Chronicles of Drunagor is fantastic. My group has done about 50% of the first campaign, and everyone loves it. It can be a bit fiddly when setting up the new rooms, but we have one person grabbing the maps and terrain stuff, and another the monsters and initiative cards.

Upsides: The 3d terrain is great, and a good solution that is far less costly than the actual constructed 3d stuff. The characters, classes and roles provide a high degree of upgrade fun, and each chapter gives some large buff in power. The cube-based skill system is fun and intuitive. The innovative interaction system is wonderful as well. Every time I wish there were more interactions. The simple door system is my favorite part, and opening up a door is exciting and thematic.

Downsides: darkness (fiddly and not very fun), token storage (many different types, hard to find)

Neutral: miniatures... there's a lot of them, and i would prefer standees for the lot, since I'm not a painter.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
The "Level Up"-Table-Utility Kickstarter has begun refunding europeans their pledges as they are unable to pay for additional shipping/tariffs.

quote:

In a nutshell, we cannot now guarantee that we can deliver these items in a timely fashion. Registration for this new system is expensive, untested and even some countries (such as Germany) are not implementing this yet. It is a chaotic mess.

With the anger seen here and on Facebook from backers frustrated with these delays (which we completely understand) we have reached the decision that for those waiting for their parcels from within Europe, we will begin the process of refunding them their entire pledge and Backer Kit amount in full.

We are sorry we are having to make this move but we have tried over the last 2 weeks and we completely understand that those still waiting have had enough.

How will this work.

As many people will have had cards that have expired or been updated since they first made their initial pledge, we will be emailing every backer concerned, setting out details of the refunding process. There are around 600 people affected out of the original approx 15,790 backers, so please bear with us.

For those from Switzerland and Norway, as you are outside Europe, you are receiving your parcels from the US and anyone waiting for replacement parts, our UK team can now go back to completing them and any outstanding e-commerce orders.

Again, we are sorry Europe has become impregnable and whilst we are getting a solution sorted for the Ice Dice, we realise we have run out of time for those few remaining Level Up backers.

It is also sad that this experience has showed that for us as Kickstarter creators, delivering to Europe is no longer a possibility as things currently stand. Let’s hope something can get sorted by the politicians moving forward.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mr.Misfit posted:

The "Level Up"-Table-Utility Kickstarter has begun refunding europeans their pledges as they are unable to pay for additional shipping/tariffs.
I'm not familiar with this one - is this because of brexit or something else new?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Shipping everywhere is hosed right now, and for the foreseeable.

Brexit is further loving things up, but only for moving stuff in and out of the UK rather than Europe as a whole.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

dwarf74 posted:

I'm not familiar with this one - is this because of brexit or something else new?

https://home.kpmg/ca/en/home/insigh...upon%20arrival.

quote:

Under these new rules, which will affect business-to-consumer e-commerce sellers and marketplaces, "low-value" goods will no longer be exempt from VAT, as of July 1, 2021. Therefore, the EU says all commercial goods imported into the EU will be subject to VAT at the applicable VAT rates upon arrival.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

And figuring out these VAT rates is a complicated mess, because of course it is.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Kwyndig posted:

And figuring out these VAT rates is a complicated mess, because of course it is.

Thread from Atlas Games here - it sounds like a nightmare for small shipping direct to customer.

https://twitter.com/JohnNephew/status/1418261795526086663

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
New stretch goal for Monte Cook's new thing...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/montecookgames/the-devil-made-us-do-it/posts/3251979

Monte Cook posted:

A Whole New Game?
Among the many innovative elements of Stealing Stories for the Devil are the mechanics that allow and encourage the players and GM to work together to create the adventure—eliminating all GM prep along the way. What if you could do that in any genre or adventure type?

This new stretch goal answers that question: Who the Devil Are You? is a game of wide-open possibilities. Using most of the same basic rules as Stealing Stories (minus the lying effects), this new game is perfect for a no-prep one-shot session with your friends.

The GM describes a scene and names the genre and general tone of the night's game. Then, the players come up with who they are, and why they are in that scene. So, if the GM describes that the PCs are on the bridge of a starship and can see a space station orbiting a planet, the players might decide that their characters are the crew of a cargo vessel coming to deliver something dangerous to the station. Or they could be criminals on the run from the authorities and want to get down to that planet. Maybe they're a military force coming to attack the planet, but know that they have to disable the station first.

In this way, the players create not only their characters but also their goal. The GM doesn't know what the players will come up with, but already has some notes for stats on the station and the people on it that can be easily tailored to whatever the players say.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Which they apparently are only putting in the currently physical-only Deluxe Edition. :eng99:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Kwyndig posted:

VAT rates differ from country to country, ranging from 19 to 25 percent. On top of that, most countries have specific rules for VAT. For example, here in Sweden we have the highest rate for VAT (25 %) but one extra bracket (12 %) that's mostly foodstuff but also "art sold by the artist" (so say, if I bought a cool print directly from someone on etsy) and 6 % for magazines and books.

So.... say I've backed a kickstarter in the UK for a RPG with some extra printed artwork, I can imagine it would be quite the headache.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

malkav11 posted:

Doors are little booklets that open up with the new setup stuff right in there.

the doors also have QR codes that include alternate setups for those rooms for added variety

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Quick round up of games I've found interesting and think Goons would enjoy:

68 hrs - Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: ANNIHILAGEDDON 2 - Unlocked a fuckton of goals, looks over the top as hell and the artwork is amazing. If I hadn't backed Radlands earlier in the year, I'd probably be backing this for my table.

4 days - Distilled - :siren: I'm 100% in on this. They're smashing all their stretch goals. Viticulture is probably the closest equivalent, but it's card orientated with less faffing about. Check this out it looks solid.

5 days - Potion Panic - Like Splendour? Check this out. It's cheap and fulfils a similar niche. Mate of mine is likely picking this up and it looks good.

5 days - On Mars: Alien Invasion - By Vital Lacerda & Ian O'Toole, so very big and very pretty. Base game seems to be favoured well by goons. Currently backing for pledge manager access to see if I can get Rococo or Kanban on the 'cheap'.

17 days - Oros - A very fun looking worker placement/action programming/tile shifting game. Looks very unique and could be a bunch of fun. Not currently backing, but I might circle back around to it later.

----------------------------------------------------

Mayday just put out an update for Crokinole backers
- Looks like the next Crokinole KS will be soonish
- Shipping costs for containers have risen from $4,500 to between $18,000 and $20,000.
- Will probably be the last time they can offer boards at $100 (But they may have to increase prices dramatically to cover costs)

I feel like we're going to start seeing KSers where the pledge manager isn't open/charged until as late as possible to make sure shipping costs are accurate, cause hooooooooooboy it's getting crazy.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Infinitum posted:

I feel like we're going to start seeing KSers where the pledge manager isn't open/charged until as late as possible to make sure shipping costs are accurate, cause hooooooooooboy it's getting crazy.

I've just been participating in a KS diet. I have spent less this year on KS than even my first year on the platform because delays and rising costs. PDF's and tiny games have been my targets this year.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah I feel like it's time to start being exceptionally picky about what I'm backing.

There's a bunch of standard releases coming up as well - Great Western Trail 2nd Edition, Unfathomable, Wrath of the Lich King.

Even those pickups may become delayed because we're in lockdown hell where I am in Australia. So no IRL gaming until probably October now :suicide:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

4 days - Distilled - :siren: I'm 100% in on this. They're smashing all their stretch goals. Viticulture is probably the closest equivalent, but it's card orientated with less faffing about. Check this out it looks solid.

Distilled have posted their final stretch goal.

$450k = Gametrayz :slick:

They are tracking towards it.

They are also publishing in German, Italian

I'm backing it at the All In Pledge. I think it's def at least worth your time checking it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NWBdDWquPs
(Shea not Rahdo)

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

This kickstarter for mini STLs just launched and the models look top notch: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zkino/bone-manuscript-the-dark-curse

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Infinitum posted:

Distilled have posted their final stretch goal.

$450k = Gametrayz :slick:

They are tracking towards it.

They are also publishing in German, Italian

I'm backing it at the All In Pledge. I think it's def at least worth your time checking it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NWBdDWquPs
(Shea not Rahdo)

I initially saw this KS and was like "eh, I don't know if I need another Viticulture" but after watching one of the playthroughs of it, I ended up backing the higher tier level. It looks really well done.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I received my Modiphius Infinity RPG stuff today, only took 6 years, gently caress I love Kickstarters!

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

BlackIronHeart posted:

I received my Modiphius Infinity RPG stuff today, only took 6 years, gently caress I love Kickstarters!

There are still 7 books I'm waiting on. The approvals bottleneck has made this ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Oh, I'm still waiting on some books as well, so it's not even 100% fulfilled yet.

Just to note, this Kickstarter is so old that it has rules for converting the RPG characters into characters for the previous edition of the tabletop game. The current tabletop game edition has been out for over a year.