Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's always cool in a thread like this that's had no shortage of nasty pictures when one comes along that triggers an entire page of goons explaining liquor and fingernails, because you can see the exact threshold where the subject's taste and hygiene fall below their own and they seize the opportunity to prove that they aren't a gross dork like that guy.

Wrong! I am fat and disgusting and gross and an idiot and ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylus
Jul 17, 2021
I enjoyed this book series so much that I can no longer enjoy other fantasy; untill the time I have closure on this story. I almost wish I never became emotionally involved as the last ten years of will he wont he write and/or release the final book have become an excruciating game of slowly building excitement followed by crippling disappointment. I love this story, almost as much as I despise the author. While it is short "The Slow Regard of Silent Things" is worth your time if you have already invested in Rothfuss's material.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

rereg alert

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The reddit is coming from inside the thread

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

poo poo, it's not like we have new Rothfuss books to talk about or anything.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

is The Slow Regard good? I think that the second book is the last book I've read to the end in some while so I'm jonesing to finish something.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

TV Zombie posted:

is The Slow Regard good? I think that the second book is the last book I've read to the end in some while so I'm jonesing to finish something.

Just read the author's, ehem, foreword, and decide whether or not you would like to continue from there.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
It's been a decade since book #2 was released. Patty, why?

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

TV Zombie posted:

Even Rothfuss felt compelled to explain in the forward that you, dear reader, will be unlikely to comprehend his genius.

The other books were clearly him combining some short stories with a narrative framework that was not up to the task. Some of those short stories are bad. Some are really bad. One or two might be ok. But at least for the most part they make sense.

Slow Regard is like putting a thesaurus in a blender and pouring the results onto a page.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

Read some Christopher Buehlman. His new book The Blacktongue Thief has similarities to the good parts of Kingkiller alongside actual control over pacing and payoff.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ccs posted:

Read some Christopher Buehlman. His new book The Blacktongue Thief has similarities to the good parts of Kingkiller alongside actual control over pacing and payoff.

Seconding this, also pick up between two fires as well as some more of Buehlman's work. He's very good, and unlike ol' Pat he actally writes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tylus posted:

I enjoyed this book series so much that I can no longer enjoy other fantasy; untill the time I have closure on this story. I almost wish I never became emotionally involved as the last ten years of will he wont he write and/or release the final book have become an excruciating game of slowly building excitement followed by crippling disappointment. I love this story, almost as much as I despise the author. While it is short "The Slow Regard of Silent Things" is worth your time if you have already invested in Rothfuss's material.

Reported as a BotL rereg.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Reported as a BotL rereg.

What did he do to get perma'd anyway?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

PJOmega posted:

What did he do to get perma'd anyway?

I think it was a lifetime achievement perma but I have no proof of this

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
he made fun of a goon's action figures on discord or something

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
There's a QCS thread. Supposedly he was harassing someone both on the forum and off it. I say supposedly because he argued that was a very biased interpretation of events.

But you know, the Greek legends tell us, you post too close to the sun, gonna get perma'd

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's bullshit because whatever drama there may or may not have been about action figures was explicitly denied as a reason. They simply hated him because he told them the truth.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 19, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I thought he just got a lifetime perma for never being able to turn off the napalm in any conversation he was in

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

pseudanonymous posted:

There's a QCS thread. Supposedly he was harassing someone both on the forum and off it. I say supposedly because he argued that was a very biased interpretation of events.

But you know, the Greek legends tell us, you post too close to the sun, gonna get perma'd

I remember BotL describing his offsite harassment of a un-named SA poster on the BookBarn discord server as BotL merely knowing that the stalkee really liked a specific web-comic/posted on a fan-site devoted to that webcomic alot...so then BotL merely started uploading fan-edits of that webcomic to that fan-site specifically tweaked to mock and insult the person BotL was stalking for a unspecific amount of time. Yeah, that's next level stalking and harassment; BotL was a shitbag.

Actual Rothfuss thread content: The 1990's version of Patrick Rothfuss is definitely Daniel Keys Moran. The same stumbling into a writing career . There is the same string of promises and lack of delivery slash content actually written & published between Moran and Rothfuss. The major difference between the two is that Daniel Keys Moran mostly wrote science-fiction and loved inserting Thundercats and incest and cartoon chase scenes into his work...and the whole thing of Daniel Keys Moran rendering himself radioactively toxic to the publishing industry vs Rothfuss's grifting of internet fans.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quantumfoam posted:

I remember BotL describing his offsite harassment of a un-named SA poster on the BookBarn discord server as BotL merely knowing that the stalkee really liked a specific web-comic/posted on a fan-site devoted to that webcomic alot...so then BotL merely started uploading fan-edits of that webcomic to that fan-site specifically tweaked to mock and insult the person BotL was stalking for a unspecific amount of time. Yeah, that's next level stalking and harassment; BotL was a shitbag.

Actual Rothfuss thread content: The 1990's version of Patrick Rothfuss is definitely Daniel Keys Moran. The same stumbling into a writing career . There is the same string of promises and lack of delivery slash content actually written & published between Moran and Rothfuss. The major difference between the two is that Daniel Keys Moran mostly wrote science-fiction and loved inserting Thundercats and incest and cartoon chase scenes into his work...and the whole thing of Daniel Keys Moran rendering himself radioactively toxic to the publishing industry vs Rothfuss's grifting of internet fans.

Gonna need a bit more detail about this.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

pentyne posted:

Gonna need a bit more detail about this.

Ok... The major difference between the two is that Daniel Keys Moran mostly wrote science-fiction and loved inserting Thundercats and incest and cartoon chase scenes into his work...and the whole thing of Daniel Keys Moran rendering himself radioactively toxic to the publishing industry vs Rothfuss's grifting of internet fans.

Well in DKM's Continuing Time series book 1 out of 32 (Seriously, DKM had 32+ plus novels or stories planned out for his Continuing Time series.), literal Thundercats were created as super-soldiers in the universe where France outlasted and backstabbed everyone to become the sole global superpower because creating cyborg soldiers was super-expensive ($15 million francs per cyborg) and relied on <shudder> Japanese technology </shudder> France took at SDI satellite laser-gunpoint.

The Thundercats in DKM's Continuing Time series got sidelined into lesser also-ran status thanks to time-fuckery creating a line of genetically perfect supermen/superwomen with telepathic and psycho-flexative powers. The first ever created genetically perfect superman with telepathic powers and psycho-flexative powers fell in total forever love with a female Thundercat. That female Thundercat died when she got injected by the Captain America super-serum and in response the first genetically perfect telepathic superman reacted badly and psycho-flexatively tortured the hell out of important French people and became radioactively toxic to French leadership in similar ways that DKM would become to Book publishing people. Thundercats played a major role in the first Continuing Time book, less so in the other CT series books I read.

Anyway, only a small portion of the genetically perfect telepathic supermen could be created in the labs, so lots and lots of incest took place, especially between the first and second generation of genetically perfect telepathic supermen/superwomen. Also the wise mentor-father figure/security chief of the Science Project that created the Thundercats and the telepathic genetically perfect telepathic supermen/superwomen heavily engaged in grooming them in ways Drake and Woody Allen would approve of, and outright banged them once they hit puberty. Incest and underaged grooming was a running theme in the Continuing Time setting.

The only way DKM knew to write conflict was to do Tom the Cat vs Jerry the Mouse standoffs or the roadrunner vs Wile E Coyote chases. Carl the first genetically perfect telepathic superman vs his enemies. The wise mentor-father figure (underaged groomer) security chief vs the traitor US Secret Service official who sold out to France and got every single USA military unit and elected USA government official vaporized by hijacked SDI's satellite defense lasers. Trent vs French cyborg #1 aka the Internet addict cyborg, then Trent vs French cyborg #2, Vance the promoted-way-past-his-competency cyborg.

Daniel Keys Moran rendering himself radioactively toxic to the publishing industry...well that's mostly inference.
DKM's work had always been bloated and very self-indulgent, however his final book with Bantam Spectra, The Last Dancer was extremely bloated and beyond self-indulgent and needed another 3 passes in the editing stage.

Supposedly DKM has had the next two Continuing Time series books ready and weeks away from completion ever since late 1995; he dropped lots of hints over the next few years to his Internet fan-club about being in talks with various book publishers like Del Rey and Random House. In reality however, it took 14+ yrs for DKM to get another book out, and that ended up being self-published.

The book publisher (Bantam Spectra) that had published him 4 times in paperback previously stopped working with him in 1993 after he married his longtime Bantam Spectra book editor that was carrying his child, who had also been the person who negotiated the Bantam Spectra author contract with him, and also been the person who initially talent-hunted him to Bantam Spectra in the first place....this all comes from the acknowledgements and dedications in the various editions of the Continuing Time books that I have stumbled across.

So anyway, someone in Bantam Spectra's Human Resources department connected the dots after his Bantam Spectra book editor went on maternity leave partially through the first editing pass on DKM's The Last Dancer after noticing one particular name cropping up again and again and again anywhere DKM was involved.

After that point Bantam Spectra stopped talking with DKM, and DKM's wife/Bantam Spectra book editor/negotiating agent/talent scout got swept into the annual Bantam Spectra employee purge; DKM got hugely angry about this
online; refused to work with a new Bantam Spectra book editor and further poisoned any kind of relationship he had left within Bantam Spectra. Bantam Spectra then published The Last Dancer in whatever state his wife/Bantam Spectra book editor/negotiating agent/talent scout had left in it before going on maternity leave, just to get out it of the door.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 19, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It’s funny, those Continuing Time books have fairly few goodreads reviews but all that are there are glowing. But they make the series sound incredibly cheesy.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I dare anyone in this thread to read the first 2 or 3 continuing time books by Daniel Keys Moran so you can make your own comparisons to Rothfuss vs Moran, he released them free to the internet over a decade ago.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Can you link them?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

TV Zombie posted:

Can you link them?

From the external links section on his wikipedia page. The link I used was "Immunity, Inc. 2002–2004. Archived from the original on 2007-10-12. – published work available online with Moran's permission"

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm confused. Are we saying that Patty Rothfuss is actually Daniel Keys Lewis?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

Can you link them?

https://web.archive.org/web/20071012053843/http://immunitysec.com/resources-dkm.shtml

Hughmoris posted:

I'm confused. Are we saying that Patty Rothfuss is actually Daniel Keys Lewis?

Presumably a combination of the two would be such a slow writer that they never would have published anything.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

quantumfoam posted:

This is his only post on that server mentioning webcomic edits, which also responds to the original post about the action figure guy:

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

what actually happened was that we were both interested in talking about the same movies, so we ended up in the same threads. We also didn't get along well with each other, so we tended to insult each other a lot.

The goon who posted that (Franchescenado) called me autistic for not liking Guardians of the Galaxy 2. When he says that I followed them around for two years, he means that we both posted in CD and TBB.

it's not even the worst or even the silliest accusation i've had. I used to edit a webcomic to feature a character from another webcomic, as a joke.

One goon who wasn't familiar with both comics thought that the character was trans, so they accused me of being a transphobe over it. It was really confusing until they later revealed the misconception.
I can't find a single detail that corresponds to what you're saying.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The key point here seems to be the path to being a mega-successful author while doing little to no work is to find an established editor at a publishing house and seduce them.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's bullshit because whatever drama there may or may not have been about action figures was explicitly denied as a reason. They simply hated him because he told them the truth.

Are we really pretending that dropping into threads to say "guys, have you considered that this is irredeemably awful and that you're all a bunch of morons for enjoying it?" is actually truthful and cool and good? Dude was utterly loving toxic, and the ban should have been clear about that.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

At this best BotL posted really detailed and interesting critiques of much lauded fantasy that explored the prose to a level of detail people never really discuss. At his worst he would just pop into threads to say something snide. If he hadn't been such a dick about things the forum could have continued to get some interesting content from him but needling people about their interests seems to be part of his personality that he should probably seek therapy for.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Ccs posted:

At this best BotL posted really detailed and interesting critiques of much lauded fantasy that explored the prose to a level of detail people never really discuss. At his worst he would just pop into threads to say something snide.

At his worst he would pop into threads to say something snide and absolutely not let it go to the point that he was absolutely toxic to any real conversation in the thread.

And he was at his worst a lot.

His critical reading of these books was pretty great but for every decent post there was a whole hell of a lot more badposting, and there's only so high that ratio can get before you just throw out the whole poster

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

At his worst he would pop into threads to say something snide and absolutely not let it go to the point that he was absolutely toxic to any real conversation in the thread.

And he was at his worst a lot.

His critical reading of these books was pretty great but for every decent post there was a whole hell of a lot more badposting, and there's only so high that ratio can get before you just throw out the whole poster

Fair enough. I don't bounce around the forums much but if he was threads hitting that much his good is heavily outweighed. Thanks for the responses everyone!

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

PJOmega posted:

Fair enough. I don't bounce around the forums much but if he was threads hitting that much his good is heavily outweighed. Thanks for the responses everyone!

Were there any other good BotL posts outside this thread? (Both a serious/snide question.)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Come And See posted:

Were there any other good BotL posts outside this thread? (Both a serious/snide question.)

The bonfire of the genres thread might as well be his posting ouvre:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833655&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
He also had two excellent effortposts about movies he loved, Siegfried and Excalibur, which I am not having any luck locating. I don't know why they aren't showing up in any search results; it's not like anything's been archived in the past two years, and I can't see any reason for the CD thread they were in to have been deleted. :iaam:

Edit: Looks like the real mystery is where that smiley went! What the hell?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It am a mystery indeed.

:iiam:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
gently caress me. I blame the hour and a half of sleep I got last night.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

He also had two excellent effortposts about movies he loved, Siegfried and Excalibur, which I am not having any luck locating. I don't know why they aren't showing up in any search results; it's not like anything's been archived in the past two years, and I can't see any reason for the CD thread they were in to have been deleted. :iaam:

Those posts are here (Die Nibelungen, then Excalibur and Faust further down the first page). They're well worth reading.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881338

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Hell yeah! Also sorry for getting Die Nibelungen's title wrong.