Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Barry is so openly hostile about it, it's brilliant. He tends to bring it up any time anyone mentions traitors or betrayal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat
The Tweet's been deleted and archive.org didn't catch it - what did it say?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Suspect Barry had a few beers last night

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Barry is so openly hostile about it, it's brilliant. He tends to bring it up any time anyone mentions traitors or betrayal.

I suspect it's partially a bit by now, but still, don't hate seeing it.

webmeister posted:

Macintosh was the driving force behind setting up Totally Football Show, where him and Jimbo left Football Weekly a few days before the start of the season. Max has since said he thinks they were expecting The Guardian to be caught unawares and just license the new show, but instead they drafted Max at the 11th hour and the rest is history.

I don’t know specifically what Baz is referring to but I’d guess FW is stronger than it’s ever been, while TFS has continually struggled.

Max had been the stand-in host for times when AC Jimbo wasn't able to host, and had been a bit too try-hard. Plenty of other known names (Michael Cox, Raphael Horningstein, a few others) also became guests for the TFS side of things as well. The original podcast producer also joined them (and apparently is now working for Apple? good job mate). like you said, The Guardian called their bluff on the whole breakaway thing, but because some star power had left and we were left with over-eager Rushden, it wasn't as clear-cut as it now looks to be.

I *think* Macintosh's media group tried to get this Totally Football Show to be the anchor for a new podcast network, but it seems to be subsumed into The Athletic UK's soccer podcasts by now.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Ironically it was the on-air presence of Macintosh himself that led to me ditching the new podcast and sticking only with FW, because he was always annoying as gently caress.

The opening fifteen minutes of the first show they did with Max after the split is a pro listen, where they talk about Neymar's move to PSG (if I remember rightly), as a not-so-veiled metaphor for what has just happened with the podcasts.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

The football ramble has Rushden in for an interview one episode and he details his point of view about what happened. He might be overselling but he does make it sound like it was Barry staying that kept FW going in house with the Guardian.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Here’s a link, it was from two years ago so my memory may have oversold Barry’s importance?

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/football-ramble/id254078311?i=1000439019104

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Answers Me posted:

Ironically it was the on-air presence of Macintosh himself that led to me ditching the new podcast and sticking only with FW, because he was always annoying as gently caress.

The opening fifteen minutes of the first show they did with Max after the split is a pro listen, where they talk about Neymar's move to PSG (if I remember rightly), as a not-so-veiled metaphor for what has just happened with the podcasts.

Yeah that show was brilliant, the heavy metaphor of a star player getting lured to a shiny new team by megabucks and it ultimately being bad for everyone.

And yes, Macintosh was only on FW for a year or so before the split happened, and he was generally a terrible pundit.

Personally I don’t think Barry and Jimbo were ever that good friends, as I seem to recall some genuine friction a few times (unlike with Max where it’s always pretty good natured). The split happening probably just confirmed what he’d always thought.

The absolute pinnacle was when post-split Football Weekly won a podcasting award, which was presented to Barry at a function hosted by Jimbo at a venue in the Tower of London, near Traitor’s Gate

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I imagine as good as Jimbo is/was he probably felt podcasting was a bit small time compared to the rest of his career.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

webmeister posted:

Personally I don’t think Barry and Jimbo were ever that good friends, as I seem to recall some genuine friction a few times (unlike with Max where it’s always pretty good natured). The split happening probably just confirmed what he’d always thought.

I remember one of them saying that they didn't really know one another before Euro 08 where they spent 3 weeks living together, but I think they got on pretty well after that.

What friction are you thinking of, I can't remember? One piece of friction do recall vividly was when Phillipe got really pissed off at Barry and snapped at him for finding it funny that the Ligue 1 relegation zone was populated by Nice, Breast and Nancy.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I imagine as good as Jimbo is/was he probably felt podcasting was a bit small time compared to the rest of his career.

I think that's a bit harsh on Jimbo, I think. Wasn't he a jobbing TV presenter between Football Italia and Football Weekly?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

webmeister posted:

Yeah that show was brilliant, the heavy metaphor of a star player getting lured to a shiny new team by megabucks and it ultimately being bad for everyone.

Just dug this out, it's pretty glorious:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/audio/2017/aug/03/big-money-transfers-galore-football-weekly

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Nice blurb:
Our brand new presenter Max Rushden is joined by the loyal Barry Glendenning, the devoted Gregg Bakowski and the faithful Jonathan Wilson for the first Football Weekly of the 2017-18 football season

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
If you google whatever I googled to find that feed this morning you find a Reddit thread where the OP is complaining about the lack of professionalism lol.

Unreal that it’s been like 4 years since that switch… I thought for sure I was going to miss AC Jimbo but nope, I think I enjoy the pod better with max.

I do miss the football ramble original format tho… bring back the opening questions and don’t give kissing the yellow card. I am into the kind of historical pods tho and that teams of our lives series finally convinced me to sub to their Patreon.

I wonder how many hours I’ve spent listening to FW and TFR over the last like 12-13 years or however long It’s been.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Yeah in hindsight I think Jimbo was good for puns and getting from guest to guest for the talking head viewpoints, Max being a football fan and generally likeable seems to have slotted in just fine. Of the people that chose a pod to appear on between the two I think TFS got the lovely end of the deal which helped FW a great deal.

I also miss the original FR format but I do like dipping in and out of the new format, I like Vish a lot and of the original crew I think I miss Donaldson the least when he's not on a show.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I like elis on FW and decided to check out his bbc pod because of it. I like it a lot even if it's only tangentially related to football and sport.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

I also miss the original FR format but I do like dipping in and out of the new format, I like Vish a lot and of the original crew I think I miss Donaldson the least when he's not on a show.

I’ve sent in several emails to the boys (and girls now) using my very good joke about how by their own rules it is now the football company (3’s company, 4’s a ramble). I also like the new format, I spend a lot of time in the car so I appreciate the daily content. I definitely loved the idea of it just being 4 dudes recording in someone’s kitchen (which I know was only that first season or two) though. There were some misses, but going for glold and the dean windlass hall of fame were always fun to listen to.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

grvm posted:

I’ve sent in several emails to the boys (and girls now) using my very good joke about how by their own rules it is now the football company (3’s company, 4’s a ramble). I also like the new format, I spend a lot of time in the car so I appreciate the daily content. I definitely loved the idea of it just being 4 dudes recording in someone’s kitchen (which I know was only that first season or two) though. There were some misses, but going for glold and the dean windlass hall of fame were always fun to listen to.

FR is definitely the pod I'm loyal to. I think everyone has been a good add, Vish especially. Campbell absolutely drives me nuts though. I can't imagine sitting through a stand-up set of his, he's such a fuckin try-hard.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Lol, absolutely agree. I actually think the only one of the original 4 I really like on their own is Marcus. But the 4 of them definitely added up to more than the sum of their parts. I'm going through the back catalog of Teams of Our Lives now and yeah, love it. OTC is also great since I am primarily a Serie A man. The Serie A round up is one of the only things I miss about Jimbo era FW.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

So you'd say the patreon is worth it? I'm trying to cut down on subsciptions currently but I could be persuaded, because I am an idiot who doesn't know how money works

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
You shouldn't ever take my advice on money if you're trying to save because that's not my strong point.... so yeah worth it so far. I'm in the mood to binge some of the evergreen content and I've been following greatest games since they started that with The Blizzard so I didn't know where else to turn. I got $10 worth of content today alone IMO binging the back catalog of Teams of Our Lives. I also subscribed when they did the Acast stuff years ago - the ad free is nice.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Mickolution posted:

What friction are you thinking of, I can't remember? One piece of friction do recall vividly was when Phillipe got really pissed off at Barry and snapped at him for finding it funny that the Ligue 1 relegation zone was populated by Nice, Breast and Nancy.

It’s been ages so I can’t really recall now, but I’m sure there was a few times where it seemed to get a bit tense. I don’t mean they hated each other or anything, but they were just work colleagues with good banter end all that that entails.

Philippe is great, and along with Elis he’s my favourite FW semi-regular.

On the Ramble, Pete actually jumped on reddit at some point to answer a few questions about the new format etc. I’m phone posting and can’t find the link, but it was probably some point this year and the ramble subreddit doesn’t get much traffic. From memory he basically said that after 13+ years they thought it was getting a bit stale and wanted to mix it up. And they wanted to treat the new hosts equally, so they don’t have specific “OG Ramble 4” shows as they felt it’d be exclusionary and a bit A Team vs B Team kind of feel.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

That's fair enough, I do enjoy the new format, there's just so much of it and it's settled on a middle ground of being not as silly / irreverent as it was, as well as lacking a bit of depth. I don't really like how heavy they have gone with the 4 to score thing as well. Yes I know it's free to enter but come on.

Whereas Football Weekly I find unmissable now because it is very funny and you've also got Wilson, Nicky, Sid, Barney and Archie to provide some depth. Even that racing post guy is pretty interesting.

I listen to a couple of spurs podcasts as well but that's mainly a self pity thing

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

That's fair enough, I do enjoy the new format, there's just so much of it and it's settled on a middle ground of being not as silly / irreverent as it was, as well as lacking a bit of depth. I don't really like how heavy they have gone with the 4 to score thing as well. Yes I know it's free to enter but come on.

Whereas Football Weekly I find unmissable now because it is very funny and you've also got Wilson, Nicky, Sid, Barney and Archie to provide some depth. Even that racing post guy is pretty interesting.

I listen to a couple of spurs podcasts as well but that's mainly a self pity thing

I too, hate myself, are there any good ones? I think I follow a bunch on twitter but don't listen to any of them.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

If anyone's interested, this is the link to Pete's Reddit AMA which I eventually managed to dig up:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thefootballramble/comments/lkbr1d/pete_diggery_donaldson_ama/

But yeah, basically they didn't want to do OG4 shows because they all felt it would be cliquey and exclusionary. And they added the new presenters in the first place because it was 14 years of the same four blokes talking, plus of course the extra pressure of not having backup when other work came up (eg Pete's radio jobs, Jim doing Edinburgh every year etc).

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Seltzer posted:

I like elis on FW and decided to check out his bbc pod because of it. I like it a lot even if it's only tangentially related to football and sport.

If you haven't yet, Socially Distant Sports Bar is hands down the funniest pod I've heard in ages, and he is on the three hosts. One of the few highlights of 2020.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
FW does have so many good contributors (although I wish Wilson was on every episode). There are also quite a few duds though, but I tend to just zone them out and can’t remember their names.

One thing that they should do less is create discussion points by saying ‘people on Twitter are saying [x], however I think [y]’, because firstly I don’t really give a gently caress what idiots on social media think, and secondly all they’re really doing is building a straw man which they can then eruditely disassemble. Feels like it would be better to form your own argument first rather than responding to an over exaggerated hive mind.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Yeah I liked the Ramble when it was the old format, I understand why they changed but now it is just more of the same ground occupied by FW, Second Captains and others, and I don't have the appetite for that much of the same content every week.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

peanut- posted:

Suspect Barry had a few beers last night

Guess he got a slap on the wrist.

https://twitter.com/bglendenning/status/1417213811015266307?s=19

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

lmao that's one way to make an apology

I did think it was quite weird that McIntosh founded TTFS and then basically has never appeared on the show (although he might do the EFL show they have). I do enjoy the Totally European show mainly for Rafa Honigstein and James Horncastle and of course Jimbo. Never really bother with FW due to the potential of Barney being on there.

Raffles fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 20, 2021

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Raffles posted:

I did think it was quite weird that McIntosh founded TTFS and then basically has never appeared on the show (although he might do the EFL show they have). I do enjoy the Totally European show mainly for Rafa Honigstein and James Horncastle and of course Jimbo. Never really bother with FW due to the potential of Barney being on there.

Don't get people's Barney hate. His writing can be a little flowery at times, but he's usually good on FW, especially if it's him and Wilson.

Funny how you say Honigstein makes something enjoyable, can't imagine that in the slightest!

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

britishbornandbread posted:

If you haven't yet, Socially Distant Sports Bar is hands down the funniest pod I've heard in ages, and he is on the three hosts. One of the few highlights of 2020.

Seconding this, although recently I've started to find the straight man/host guy extremely loving irritating to the point of it overshadowing the good bits. But the early ones, before he gets too big for his boots and starts stepping on the jokes of the other two, are brilliant.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Answers Me posted:

Seconding this, although recently I've started to find the straight man/host guy extremely loving irritating to the point of it overshadowing the good bits. But the early ones, before he gets too big for his boots and starts stepping on the jokes of the other two, are brilliant.

Stef has grown in confidence, you're right. I understand if you don't find him enjoyable, fair enough, but it think he lets Bubbins and Elis do their thing fine. I agree that it has probably reached its peak (nothing will top the stove story, or the coach to Wimbledon) but I am looking forward to the live show.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Mickolution posted:

Don't get people's Barney hate. His writing can be a little flowery at times, but he's usually good on FW, especially if it's him and Wilson.

Funny how you say Honigstein makes something enjoyable, can't imagine that in the slightest!

Yeah I like Pod Barney, I do not like writer Barney

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Didn't Barney have a minor melt down on the pod over Spurs a few years ago?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Gorn Myson posted:

Didn't Barney have a minor melt down on the pod over Spurs a few years ago?

The witch's curse meltdown and it was great

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
With Barry. Another example of apparent animosity between guests. All seems fine now, but it did get weirdly tetchy in that segment to the point where the other guests seemed to get quite uncomfortable with the tension

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
TFS has done all right but the combination of Michael Cox and Duncan Alexander is like a lethal combination of smug

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Backdoor Delivery posted:

TFS has done all right but the combination of Michael Cox and Duncan Alexander is like a lethal combination of smug

I do like the Football League show they do, but I'd still rather listen to NTT20

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Golazzo with Jimbo, Gab, and Horncastle is good. I really liked the Ronaldo episode from a few months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Bobby Digital posted:

Golazzo with Jimbo, Gab, and Horncastle is good. I really liked the Ronaldo episode from a few months ago.

I remember liking Golazzo, but i realized it wasn’t in my regular rotation so I checked the feed: looks totally random when they decide to launch a season. Hopefully it gets more episodes this season.