Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Idiot what are you gonna do, pole vault over the fence?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Hello thread my curiosity knows no bounds when it comes to procrastinating from my day job, so I decided to answer a question that was bugging me which was how many lives has the vaccine saved in the most recent surge of cases seen in the UK?

I had excel open, and when I have an INDEX/MATCH-shaped hammer everything looks like a nail, so I did this analysis pretty coarsely. I know it doesn't account for several factors, such as the fact that cases are a leading indicator for deaths, but I am lazy. I also should've excluded the first wave, since the case count with respect to deaths was out of whack due to lack of testing, but I've now closed that dataset and I'm too lazy to get it again.

So what I did was:
  1. Eyeball the most recent minima of cases - approximately 01/05/2021 - and split the data at this point
  2. For every day since 01/05/2021, find the closest-matching day from before 01/05/2021 with respect to daily cases
  3. Return the relevant count of daily deaths from that closest-matching day
  4. Calculate the difference between this returned daily death count and the daily death count for the day after 01/05/2021 in question
The results of this suggests that some 26400 lives have been saved in the most recent wave of cases. This is about 334 lives per day and I think that's a pretty spectacular endorsement of vaccines, even in the face of more infectous strains.

This isn't even the total number of lives saved, as I am sure vaccines were having a positive effect well before 01/05, but I think it emphasises just how lucky we are to have such effective vaccines so rapidly after a novel strain of virus emerged.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
That's not even half a Wembley stadium. What a fail

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chief McHeath posted:

Also Olympic athletes, since they can't have sex on their beds, might be eating even more rear end this year, it could be a problem.

Imagine being like "yeah, I ate that pole vault winner's butt, real good, but it turns out she had Covid."

Update from an Irish Olympic gymnast who is in Tokyo right now:

https://twitter.com/McClenaghanRhys/status/1416567768938291203

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I was just looking at the numbers a minute ago and reflecting that last time cases were like this, we were hitting 600+ deaths a day, whereas now it's 30 - 40.

It's still uncomfortable to see the case numbers climbing, but I'm cautiously optimistic that we've turned a corner with Covid and (in the UK at least), it's turning into more of a bloody nuisance than a mortal threat,

mania
Sep 9, 2004
And Singapore is back to no dinning in again, despite government officials saying a few days ago that while the max pax of people in a group would be reduced dinning in would still continue.

Looks like the case numbers for today are real bad.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, I was just looking at the numbers a minute ago and reflecting that last time cases were like this, we were hitting 600+ deaths a day, whereas now it's 30 - 40.

The current UK average is 44 deaths a day and rising. The question is how high it'll go and how bad it has to get before they reintroduce restrictions. 100 a day? 200 a day?

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's still uncomfortable to see the case numbers climbing, but I'm cautiously optimistic that we've turned a corner with Covid and (in the UK at least), it's turning into more of a bloody nuisance than a mortal threat,

That's what they're counting on, in yesterday's press conference they were talking about how they were expecting cases/deaths to level out soon and either plateau or start dropping off. That seems like an insanely irresponsible gamble to me (especially considering that 22% of the UK's population are still unvaccinated, that's over 14 million people) but I guess we'll find out pretty soon. :shrug:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
“We are beginning to see that everyone who was wearing a mask before is doing so. The genuine can’t wear masks people still have the Daisy lanyard to indicate this, the anti-maskers have just taken the lanyard off.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The current UK average is 44 deaths a day and rising. The question is how high it'll go and how bad it has to get before they reintroduce restrictions. 100 a day? 200 a day?

What does the flu usually claim in the UK each year? Given that we're told this will eventually have to be treated "like the flu."

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Let’s hope they don’t treat it like preventable heart disease which makes up 25% of all deaths a year.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

freebooter posted:

What does the flu usually claim in the UK each year? Given that we're told this will eventually have to be treated "like the flu."

It varies widely but between 2014/15 to 2018/19 it apparently averaged out at around 15,000 deaths each flu season in this period which if you averaged it out over a year would be 41 a day.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

learnincurve posted:

Let’s hope they don’t treat it like preventable heart disease which makes up 25% of all deaths a year.

Yeah but to be fair Bud Light and Big Macs with the large fry don’t float into your mouth through the air

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well, how bad CAN it get? I did some back of an envelope calculations with the infection rate the other day and estimated that at the current rate, we'd be seeing 75 million cases of Covid a week by Xmas. Of course, that's not going to happen, not least because there aren't that many people even living in the UK.

With most adults now double vaccinated and an awful lot of the unvaccinated having already had Covid, there's only so many people in the UK left for it to infect and they strongly trend towards the younger and less vulnerable end of the population. My feeling, looking at the way things are going, is that the virus is simply going to run out of people to infect, plateau, then decline.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
True, but anecdotally it doesnt appear that being double vaccinated is very effective at stopping being infected and mild illness, so I imagine the wave will go on a much longer than people estimate.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pistol_Pete posted:

Well, how bad CAN it get?

Quoting so I can find this post again in 2 weeks :v:

Serious answer: the UK could see several million more cases if the virus is left unchecked (they racked up a million in the last 50 days and case are skyrocketing right now) , at a case fatality rate of 2% that'd be another 20,000 to 60,000 deaths

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
With the 50+ group 80% vaccinated however, you wouldnt assume the cfr is around 2%. Its 0.15% currently based on a two week delay.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I was just going to say that 2% is WAY too high. 0.15% sounds much more plausible when you compare infections and deaths over the last couple of months.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, I was just going to say that 2% is WAY too high. 0.15% sounds much more plausible when you compare infections and deaths over the last couple of months.

E: Yeah looks like I calculated that wrong. But the average daily rate of covid deaths in the UK has increased by 600% in the last eight weeks (it bottomed out at about 6 per day on May 24 and has increased to 44 a day on July 19) and is increasing exponentially so I guess we'll find out just how high it goes.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 20, 2021

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The deaths for new cases have consistently lagged, on average, about two weeks behind since it takes that long for the lethal cases to develop and progress.

So a new spike in cases that is still in the process of happening will always have an artificially low mortality when viewed as a snapshot.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

Nam Taf posted:

Hello thread my curiosity knows no bounds when it comes to procrastinating from my day job, so I decided to answer a question that was bugging me which was how many lives has the vaccine saved in the most recent surge of cases seen in the UK?

I had excel open, and when I have an INDEX/MATCH-shaped hammer everything looks like a nail, so I did this analysis pretty coarsely. I know it doesn't account for several factors, such as the fact that cases are a leading indicator for deaths, but I am lazy. I also should've excluded the first wave, since the case count with respect to deaths was out of whack due to lack of testing, but I've now closed that dataset and I'm too lazy to get it again.

So what I did was:
  1. Eyeball the most recent minima of cases - approximately 01/05/2021 - and split the data at this point
  2. For every day since 01/05/2021, find the closest-matching day from before 01/05/2021 with respect to daily cases
  3. Return the relevant count of daily deaths from that closest-matching day
  4. Calculate the difference between this returned daily death count and the daily death count for the day after 01/05/2021 in question
The results of this suggests that some 26400 lives have been saved in the most recent wave of cases. This is about 334 lives per day and I think that's a pretty spectacular endorsement of vaccines, even in the face of more infectous strains.

This isn't even the total number of lives saved, as I am sure vaccines were having a positive effect well before 01/05, but I think it emphasises just how lucky we are to have such effective vaccines so rapidly after a novel strain of virus emerged.

... Rodger is that you?

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
To continue travel-chat from earlier I'm not necessarily in the middle of nowhere Switzerland but it's a place that's usually British/European/Asian and it is crawling with Americans. I have literally never heard this much American English since I've been here. A lot of families too.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The difference between the U.K. and the US at the moment is transparency with the statistics.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I certainly won't be surprised to see deaths per day in the UK reach back into the hundreds, but I'd be pretty circumspect about expecting it to barrel out of control like it did in Jan-Feb to 1k+

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Jeza posted:

I certainly won't be surprised to see deaths per day in the UK reach back into the hundreds, but I'd be pretty circumspect about expecting it to barrel out of control like it did in Jan-Feb to 1k+

Official estimates range between 100k-200k cases a day at this deliberate run of infection.

Even if the low CFR remains (due to the demographic and vaxx) that seems likely to make for some big days.

The current low CFR is also due to hospitalisations being within capacity, which is unlikely to remain the case for very long.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Reporting in from the former Plague Island, where Covid is Definitely Over. I work in a pharma factory so business has continued almost as normal. We've been at covid level 5 for most of the pandemic, which means no meetings, WFH where possible, etc. HR let us all know the other day that we can drop down to alert level 4, although looking at their descriptions of the alert levels, we've actually all been working at level 3 for the last year, of course manufacturing people cannot really WFH normally, and every meeting is "business critical". 

Just a day after the UK's "freedom day", the factory is currently going full plague. Staff and their entire family groups have caught it just after the footy, out of a mere 150 workers here, I personally know 3 people that have caught it in the last 2 weeks, plus numerous others having to isolate. Govt advice has done some ace 720 moonwalking today, with factories being advised they do and don't need to enforce isolating after exposure. Even more fantastically, my supervisor got me to do some coaching recently, which meant I had to spend some time with a lady yesterday who is also now self isolating! If she has the virus, I probably have it as well in spite of masks and trying to keep my distance. I suddenly feel like I need to cough, and have started sweating, despite being double vaxxed. Don't pray for me, I'm already dead.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Virginia has decided to do something useful and post covid info by vaccination status, updating every Friday.

https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus/covid-19-data-insights/covid-19-cases-by-vaccination-status/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

sharknado slashfic posted:

Virginia has decided to do something useful and post covid info by vaccination status, updating every Friday.

https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus/covid-19-data-insights/covid-19-cases-by-vaccination-status/

I can see why they do it but it's still weird and annoying that they calculate the stats for "People Not Fully Vaccinated" and "People Fully Vaccinated" via completely different methods. In the first case they take the number of cases/hospitalizations/deaths and tell you how many of those people weren't fully vaccinated, and in the second case they take the number of cases/hospitalizations/deaths and divide them by the number of fully vaxxed Virginians, which is 4.5 million.

I've seen a lot of dashboards doing the exact same thing and it's usually completely unnecessary because if they calculated both values the same way it would still makes the fully vaxxed stats look great.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

OkI think I got the real deal for dose 3 yesterday. Today my arm is still pretty sore, I had very minor muscle aches last night and I feel pretty tired. Symptoms seem significantly weaker than dose 2 so far.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
The UK border patrol to not check Covid compliance or passenger locator forms from Green and Amber countries.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...obox=1626799223

They basically outsourcing it to the airlines and have "robust compliance checks" through audits.

My initial reaction would be lolling but it might reduce the chances of Heathrow being a petri dish of plagues all over the world a little bit.

Airlines are,in general, quite risk averse and not let you fly anyway for like one antivaxxer slipping through because they didn't get checked by the border police.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The Boris Virus

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

AHH F/UGH posted:

Yeah but to be fair Bud Light and Big Macs with the large fry don’t float into your mouth through the air

Maybe we'll all live to see the glorious future where they do.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
When US Canada border opens the plague will truly reach unstoppable levels

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

bradburypancakes posted:

The UK Chief scientific adviser did misspeak in a press conference earlier today

https://twitter.com/uksciencechief/status/1417204235356213252?s=20

The UK is a joke rear end country

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
It's 'arse' actually.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

Is there any information on what the typical covid hospital stay ends up costing the patient? Obviously I'm talking about the US and not a civilized country.

Bankruptcy or suicide usually if they aren’t cartoon villain rich

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Mush Mushi posted:

68% of the population double jabbed, 60% of hospitalizations double jabbed? I’m fully onboard with the vaccines but can’t we just admit that this is bad news no matter how you wrangle the data?

We’re starting to sound like the dying with covid people.
The subpopulation breakdown tweet post was literally right above yours, you are committing the base rate fallacy all over again.

"68% of the population double-jabbed" is the wrong metric, since the vast majority of hospitalizations are among the elderly who have a much higher rate of vaccination.

https://twitter.com/kennyshirley/status/1417177778013843456

Which is all to say "xx% of hospitalizations double jabbed" isn't necessarily concerning even if it's actually 60 instead of 40.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1417301374245687296

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

ShadowHawk posted:

The subpopulation breakdown tweet post was literally right above yours, you are committing the base rate fallacy all over again.

"68% of the population double-jabbed" is the wrong metric, since the vast majority of hospitalizations are among the elderly who have a much higher rate of vaccination.

https://twitter.com/kennyshirley/status/1417177778013843456

Which is all to say "xx% of hospitalizations double jabbed" isn't necessarily concerning even if it's actually 60 instead of 40.

and it's not even 40% for double jabs, it's 40% for single + double jabs since the 60% is no jab at all

got my second pfizer today, maybe a little sore arm and a bit more sleepy, but no fever or anything yet

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I guess someone finally realized that their viewing/voting demographic is most at risk of dying of COVID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's 'arse' actually.

Sex arse :eng101: