Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It should be noted the same laws used to imprison Hitler for five years were used to just straight up execute communists. Democrats will do the same thing with any new anti-terrorist laws.

edit: same way that if the capital rioters had been of middle eastern descent or black they would have simply shot every single one of them then and there.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Terrible Opinions posted:

It should be noted the same laws used to imprison Hitler for five years were used to just straight up execute communists. Democrats will do the same thing with any new anti-terrorist laws.

edit: same way that if the capital rioters had been of middle eastern descent or black they would have simply shot every single one of them then and there.

Has anyone even suggested new anti-terrorist laws?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hi, Im Banned poster LibStomper1488. Im here to tell you that CRT is evil and turning our children into oppressed slaves. Im very happy about this.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Should Critical Race Theory Be Banned in Public Schools?—a Conversation with Christopher F. Rufo

quote:

To: tbw2
Public schools should be banned if they cannot teach children:

1) That they live in the greatest nation on Earth

2) The Pledge of Allegiance

3) E Pluribus Unum

The racial bigotry should be left to the parents.

10 posted on 7/20/2021, 6:59:06 PM by Empire_of_Liberty
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]
I went to middle and high school in the South and the experience of learning US history was exactly this shallow. And yeah, parents were definitely racist and passed that along to their kids.

I guess the only complaint here for this freeper would be that this doctrine isn't brutally enforced with violence from right-wing death squads.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Is anyone actually teaching critical race theory anywhere? I mean like k-12? Like it really seems like the conservatives are up in arms to cancel something that isn't happening.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

pseudanonymous posted:

Is anyone actually teaching critical race theory anywhere? I mean like k-12? Like it really seems like the conservatives are up in arms to cancel something that isn't happening.

They are railing against teaching that white supremacy is bad. That's it. That's the game.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

It’s become a stand in for anything negative about America, it’s history, teaching slavery and civil rights history, talking about racism, or acknowledging racism exists in any form. If you aren’t saying America and white people are just the best, most amazing things you’re teaching Critical Race Theory and literally telling children they are evil for being white

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

Yeah as other people have said, no one is teaching actual CRT in k-12, and every purposed or passed law against it is actually just trying to outlaw teaching about slavery or discrimination of any kind.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

pseudanonymous posted:

Any k-12 social studies teacher who's lessons are not informed by Critical Race Theory to some degree is bad at their job, tbh. They're not teaching the theory itself, but they better loving be teaching the substance of it, because any version of US history that doesn't touch on it is propaganda.

quote:

Critical race theory is an academic concept that is more than 40 years old. The core idea is that race is a social construct, and that racism is not merely the product of individual bias or prejudice, but also something embedded in legal systems and policies.

The basic tenets of critical race theory, or CRT, emerged out of a framework for legal analysis in the late 1970s and early 1980s created by legal scholars Derrick Bell, Kimberlé Crenshaw, and Richard Delgado, among others.

A good example is when, in the 1930s, government officials literally drew lines around areas deemed poor financial risks, often explicitly due to the racial composition of inhabitants. Banks subsequently refused to offer mortgages to Black people in those areas.

Today, those same patterns of discrimination live on through facially race-blind policies, like single-family zoning that prevents the building of affordable housing in advantaged, majority-white neighborhoods and, thus, stymies racial desegregation efforts.

CRT also has ties to other intellectual currents, including the work of sociologists and literary theorists who studied links between political power, social organization, and language. And its ideas have since informed other fields, like the humanities, the social sciences, and teacher education.

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/what-is-critical-race-theory-and-why-is-it-under-attack/2021/05

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Sanguinia posted:

Any k-12 social studies teacher who's lessons are not informed by Critical Race Theory to some degree is bad at their job, tbh. They're not teaching the theory itself, but they better loving be teaching the substance of it, because any version of US history that doesn't touch on it is propaganda.

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/what-is-critical-race-theory-and-why-is-it-under-attack/2021/05

If you have a history degree, you have at least heard of and learned about CRT (if you have a graduate degree in history, you have almost certainly studied it in detail alongside other historiographic viewpoints).

If you have a bachelors in education and a history minor, you might not have heard it by that name but the things you should have learned in college went beyond "what happened" and into "why and how we look at what happened" that are informed by CRT among other things.

If you are a coach with a bachelors in PE and a sloppy cert that gets thrown at a history class to teach out of the textbook, you probably don't have a clue and may be teaching the same stupid Lost Cause poo poo you learned in the 80s regardless of what the curriculum actually says.

(NOTE: I have known coaches who were excellent and well-informed teachers - the one on my Environmental Science team has a masters in biology - but the stereotype exists for a reason.)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Went to public school in the south during the 90's to graduate in 2002.

The AP and Honors courses (different things) did a good job teaching how poo poo went down. The standard courses were basically "show up and hand in assignments so we can pass you."

But it sure as poo poo wasn't any lost cause bullshit from what I personally experienced. I have no doubt that it exists, in a big way, in certain regions. But the south isn't completely backward, at least compared to the rest of the country. We also had almost thirty nationalities represented in a 1100 student school, so there was a lot of exposure to other cultures through attending and making friends. If you were a vocal racist, you'd literally get your rear end kicked.

I feel like urban, suburban, and rural probably plays a pretty big role in how you are taught. It's harder to hate Country X or Nationality Y when you share a classroom with them. (Harder, but not impossible.)

Disclaimer - I'm making this statement as a single person with only my personal experiences to judge. I fully accept I could be completely off the mark and only speak from the viewpoint of my personal education.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

In my experience from US History classes in Texas, nothing of note happened in this country between the War of 1812 and the Great Depression.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Khizan posted:

In my experience from US History classes in Texas, nothing of note happened in this country between the War of 1812 and the Great Depression.

Oh come now, there has to me something around 1898 cause "MURICA kicked some Spaniard rear end!"

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

The solution is to use the powers they already have. The US justice system is one of the most brutal in the world. They have enough, they dont need more.

Nobody itt is arguing for new legislation ie the Patriot Act

They're arguing for harsher charges using the current legislation.

DarkCrawler posted:

Has anyone even suggested new anti-terrorist laws?

Not seriously, no

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It’s become a stand in for anything negative about America, it’s history, teaching slavery and civil rights history, talking about racism, or acknowledging racism exists in any form. If you aren’t saying America and white people are just the best, most amazing things you’re teaching Critical Race Theory and literally telling children they are evil for being white

In Australia, they call it a "black armband version of history" whenever people try to get our atrocities taught in schools.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Khizan posted:

We went into depths about the evils of slavery in chud rear end West Texas and rarely got past WW1.

Literally no one's educational anecdote in the US means anything. It's way too varied.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Yeah, my history education was spectacular at a conservative Catholic high school in a purply suburb of Chicago. Meanwhile my husband’s at an elite private high school in Philadelphia was dreadful.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pontius Pilate posted:

Yeah, my history education was spectacular at a conservative Catholic high school in a purply suburb of Chicago. Meanwhile my husband’s at an elite private high school in Philadelphia was dreadful.

Jesuits and Bennedictines don't gently caress around when it comes to history.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
My high school history experience was definitely a mixed bag. It was AP, and the teacher gave a poo poo, but the textbooks were about a decade out-of-date and were just awful. Lots of "Some historians argue that the Civil War was about slavery, but..." caveats, lots of yada-yada-yada-ing about our various "wars" against the Native Americans, and a weird emphasis on the Texas Revolution - it got about as big of a write-up as the entirety of WWI. I remember it portraying Manifest Destiny as a cool and good thing, cuz it got "us" all the way to California!

I didn't really think anything of it at the time, but looking back, fuckin' yikes. There's a reason why conservatives having control of the textbook industry is such a big deal.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I never had an high school history teacher teach from the book at all, except for secondary books that were just primary source readings.

Is it normal that the teacher just teaches what the textbook says?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I never had an high school history teacher teach from the book at all, except for secondary books that were just primary source readings.

When questioned, she said she was a chorus teacher who stepped into the job for the last couple years of her career.

I'm guessing, no, to your question. My friends in the same year but with another teacher got it way better.

Conversations with my father taught me far more than that one teacher. loving well should have, as he is far better educated in history. Telling him about this teacher is where he learned how to say, "What the gently caress?!", correctly and with feeling in English.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Same. We would be issued a book that still included the soviet union and we used them never and gave em back at the end of the year.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

A thread about the Alabama doctor who says she's had dying unvaccinated COVID patients begging for the vaccine is going about as you'd expect (she's lying, she's inexperienced, she's unattractive, etc.), but then there's this gem:

quote:

Does it seem obvious to anyone that all of the “elites” in this country have been vaccinated, while all the “undesirables” have not?

All the politicians in both parties including Trump, all the doctors and lawyers CEOs and rich white people in more affluent states (according to statistics) all seem to be vaccinated

While all the inner city black people and the poor rural white Trump supporter people in states like Alabama etc. have not been vaccinated

It’s probably happening naturally or on accident, but you could almost make it a conspiracy that it’s on purpose

90 posted on 7/21/2021, 1:53:42 PM by Nomad577

I don't even know how broken your brain needs to be to vomit that up.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
In all fairness when I went to CVS to get my vaccination they did make me do a credit check. I thought it was weird at the time but quickly forgot about it. After reading this freep post I'm starting to think there was something nefarious to it after all!

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

BTW a special shout out to the couple of doctors who show up in these threads and actually try to break through to these dopes:

quote:

HCQ and Ivermectin are terrible choices at late stage. At early stage they are at best weakly effective. If they are in phase III disease there is little that can be done except support. There is some literature to suggest that Tocilizumab may be effective at late stage disease as an immunosuppressive therapy and I have seen this work from time to time. But this is not an outrageous story — a lot of us has seen this.

In a larger context, it is true we are seeing far more middle aged (younger) population. At three major hospital systems in my large city in the southeast we had a consortium meeting today. There are currently over 800 people hospitalized, and there have been 18 deaths month to date. There were four deaths last month. 800 is about 90% of the maximum hospitalized at the peak of the major wave last year.

What is STRIKING is that 97% of hospitalized patients are not vaccinated. The 3% breakthrough cases in the hospital have an average length of stay of 2 days and NONE — ZIP — ZERO — NADA of the vaccinated have gone to the ICU or died in this surge that is about 3 weeks old.

We are seeing in real time what was forecast all along. Vaccines prevent disease, and if there is breakthrough (as the vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna in PHASE 1 - 2 - 3 trials were 95% effective) it prevents the disease from progressing to critical illness and death.

The data of more than anecdotal — it is compelling. Incidentally, 82% of the cases are delta. What I think this means is that delta is ripping through at the moment, and will contribute quickly to herd immunity. 50% of our region its vaccinated which is sort of a weak number. Between the vaccinated immune, and natural herd immunity which is rapidly being added to at this time, I think that this third wave will finish off herd immunity and we should be about done with this.

Using some statistical analysis, this exactly tracks with what is being seen in Israel — minimal deaths, mild numbers of breakthrough with no critical illness, and increasing numbers in the non-vaccinated, but a well blunted surge wave.

I will renew my call that if you get sick, please do not horse around with Ivermectin or HCQ, very few of people will proscribe this. You have 10 days to get to monoclonal antibody infusion — get REGENERON ASAP. It stopes the disease in its tracks. This is the only truly safe and effective treatment.

99 posted on 7/21/2021, 2:16:44 PM by gas_dr (Conditions of Socratic debate: Intelligence, Candor, and Good Will. )

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Literally no one's educational anecdote in the US means anything. It's way too varied.

This is pretty drat accurate.

I just hope folks don't think everyone who grew up in the south wore confederate flags emblazoned upon denim jackets. Those people exist, but probably in the same consistency as anywhere else in the country. The south isn't as stupid and backwards as the elected politicians would have you reasonably believe.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Watching information just *PING!* right off the perfectly smooth brains of the FReep crowd is always so fascinating.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Scratch Monkey posted:

In all fairness when I went to CVS to get my vaccination they did make me do a credit check. I thought it was weird at the time but quickly forgot about it. After reading this freep post I'm starting to think there was something nefarious to it after all!

O I actually know this one!

While the COVID vaccine doesn't require anything like that, lots of other vaccines do so it's semi frequent for someone who doesn't know better at a random pharmacy to give you some superfluous paperwork. You can just not fill it out or burn it or fold it into a hat or whatever.

Shockingly, unprecedented scientific and logistical hurdles were prioritized over educating everyone on maximally efficient use of forms.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

kartikeya posted:

I'm not sure I've ever personally experienced more gaslighting, from either end of the political spectrum, when it comes to January 6th. It's frustrating beyond belief, and I keep having to recheck to make sure I'm not the crazy one, despite witnessing it in real time.

It was a coup. A coup does not have to succeed in order to be a coup, and a coup does not have to be put on by some master super planners to do damage. Going around insisting it wasn't a big deal and it's silly to consider it one is part of that inflicted damage, because we all sit around and convince ourselves that it was silly, it won't have any lasting effect, and that believing otherwise is being overdramatic. It wasn't a goofy jaunt through the halls of the capitol where all the Trumper idiots bounced off of walls and tripped on their own shoes and ha ha ha. When Ashli Babbit was shot, there were congressional staffers evacuating behind the officers that were holding the door, you can see them on the video. Officer Goodman led the rioters away from the Senate and the House chambers. There was a door wide open. There were people still in there. Romney nearly walked right into them. Pence and his family were being evacuated very close to where they were. There were rioters smashing down doors in Pelosi's office, with her staffers huddling inside one of the rooms and trying to stay as quiet as possible, we have that on video and we have them on audio. Anyone who thinks there wouldn't have been deaths had they managed to catch or find anyone can look at what this group did to the drat cops that got in their way, and listen to the words coming out of the rioters own stupid mouths.

Stop it. loving stop it already. Stop downplaying it, stop saying <insert extremely good leftist goal here> is more important and therefore we should ignore this happened. You know why? Because it's not over, this coup hasn't ended. They're still trying to overthrow the election. Right now. Yes, it's stupid, yes, it's going to fail, and it doesn't matter one single bit, because the danger isn't that this election is going to be overturned, it's that a massive swathe of the country has decided that all of this is cool and good, that ignoring the results of an election is the righteous thing to do if their side loses, and that violence is not only the answer if they don't get their way, it's openly condoned by every single person they listen to, every authority figure, every elected representative, every "news" outlet. With exceptions so few that I can count them on one hand, every Republican that was in the capitol that day has decided that this is also cool and good, that somehow they'd have been spared, and that the best thing to do is to deny it, gaslight about it, and trot down to Mara Lago in the most pathetic pilgrimage imaginable to kiss the withered rear end of the golden god who will never, ever, ever accept that the majority of the American people threw him out on his ear, and to parrot every stupid thought that somehow works its way out of his head.

The coup wasn't one day of violence aimed at politicians. It's fine and good to laugh at these loving idiots while recognizing that had things gone even a little bit more their way on January 6th, a whole lot more bodies would have been hauled out of that building.

Thanks for kind of outlining what it really was. It's not something that should be downplayed. It was a coup attempt; it was serious. Let's take it seriously and treat it as thus. Separate it from attempts to combat police militarization and combating abusive police. There is probably much more, but let's deal with the nuanced complication of the situation.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Smeep posted:

A thread about the Alabama doctor who says she's had dying unvaccinated COVID patients begging for the vaccine is going about as you'd expect (she's lying, she's inexperienced, she's unattractive, etc.), but then there's this gem:

I love how it must be a conspiracy and not because Trump supporters are morons that got duped and then continue along that path without wising up.

Honestly I kinda blame our society's way of rewarding stupidity more than anything.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

All the tourists were casually chanting "Hang Mike Pence!" while he was with his family a few rooms away. What a gas!

No, you see they were shouting "Let's hang, Mike Pence" it was just an invitiation for him to spend some time with them and chill.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

hooman posted:

No, you see they were shouting "Let's hang, Mike Pence" it was just an invitiation for him to spend some time with them and chill.

By the nooses they erected outside, right after Trump said that Pence didn't have the courage to do what was right (interfere with the election).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Smeep posted:

This one gets me because I'm in Alabama and you can just get the vaccine right now at basically any pharmacy including loving Walmart's for free. Depressingly they usually have a lot of open spots for appointments.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

hooman posted:

Insurrection and chill.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Smeep posted:

quote:

To: ChicagoConservative27
Names of patients. Just the first names. Let’s hear them.

7 posted on 7/21/2021, 2:49:10 PM by Seruzawa (The political Left is the Garden of Eden of Incompetence - Marx the Smarter (Groucho))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

The grand conspiracy can invent a hoax virus and hoax 5G vaccine to enslave you to the commies, but they cannot just invent a list of american-sounding first names. That's beyond their power.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The grand conspiracy can invent a hoax virus and hoax 5G vaccine to enslave you to the commies, but they cannot just invent a list of american-sounding first names. That's beyond their power.

He gets the list of first names and immediately declares "That's too many people with a name that starts with a J. Clearly an algorithm wrote this" He knows because his gut told him

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Bobson
Dwigt
Shown
Sleve
Moises

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

madeintaipei posted:

Insurrection and chill.

Mike wouldn't be interested unless it took place at a horse ranch.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

downout posted:

Thanks for kind of outlining what it really was. It's not something that should be downplayed. It was a coup attempt; it was serious. Let's take it seriously and treat it as thus. Separate it from attempts to combat police militarization and combating abusive police. There is probably much more, but let's deal with the nuanced complication of the situation.

A really good sum up that was released recently is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWJVMoe7OY0. Not a lot of editorializing, mostly a minute by minute breakdown of what happened, when, and where. Anyone who watched the impeachment has seen most of this (I think there's some new footage, but that's about it), but it's all fit into 40 minutes rather than several hours. I watched the attack happen in real time, I watched the impeachment presentation, and I still felt like this video was a needed reminder that "yeah, this happened, and it was bad". The country is being gaslit hard, and no one's immune to this kind of thing.

Anyhow, not even nearly 100% of hospitalized covid cases being unvaccinated seems to be convincing anyone to go get the drat jab, it's depressing as hell that Freep isn't the weirdo in the corner on this. So many public figures are outright killing people at this point; they're well aware of what they're doing, and they don't care. The phrase "avoid it like the plague" needs to be retired, or reversed like "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" to mean the exact opposite of the original intention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

This is a real name. I know someone named Moises.