Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
Told my gf I got myself an early xmas present. She said what, I said a Steam Deck and then explained to her what it is how it’s like a Switch but for other games/PC etc.

She’s said, “You’re getting a Steam Dick? loving nerd.” Love her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I just put my deposit down on the large one. I hate limited storage... Is there any reliable source for compatible games right now? I play plenty of the older titles I'm sure will be fine, but Steam has quite a library now. I am wondering if Everquest will play, or Eve Online. So many titles.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Floob posted:

I just put my deposit down on the large one. I hate limited storage... Is there any reliable source for compatible games right now? I play plenty of the older titles I'm sure will be fine, but Steam has quite a library now. I am wondering if Everquest will play, or Eve Online. So many titles.

https://www.protondb.com/app/205710
https://www.protondb.com/app/201230
https://www.protondb.com/app/8500

that's a "no" on everquest 1 and a "mixed" on everquest 2 and eve online

but you can always install windows on it instead of using steamos

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
This is the compatibility list:

https://www.protondb.com/

Says Even Online used to work, but recent changes broke it and Everquest does not look like it works, but you can also just install Windows on the device.

edit: yeah, what he said

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Floob posted:

I am wondering if Everquest will play, or Eve Online.

MMOs generally fall under the "it's DRMed to hell and back and likely will not work". However, it's soon to say if the new Proton that will be unveiled at launch will have the miracle cure to solve all of those issues. Probably not. Single player games, old and new, are probably your best.

Currently, EverQuest does not work. EVE Online used to work fine, but four days ago they released an update that borked the whole thing and currently only works on an older version of Proton.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I haven't touched Eve since winning it, but didn't Eve have its own hacked together unofficial-but-first-party native launcher anyway?

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
Thanks for the responses! Love an active thread :)

Looks like even Anarchy Online is Silver on that website. I do suspect I'll end up with a Windows OS depending on drivers though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I perused through the Proton compatibility list the other day and it definitely reminds me of emulator compatibility, with all the unreliability that entails. Games that work great on some people's PCs but not others, users giving the thumbs up for "perfect" compatibility because their $2000 PC runs a game fine at 60 FPS (even though they'd get 100+ in Windows), lots of little random issues popping up that need game-specific workarounds for everything (on top of the existing pc game jank people already deal with). I mean, it IS cool that it's possible at all and better than Wine in a lot of cases, but unless Valve's secret sauce is going to radically change how Proton works in some way I wouldn't want to rely on it, especially on an underpowered handheld. I would not expect any demanding 3D game running through Proton to run well at all on the steam deck.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I perused through the Proton compatibility list the other day and it definitely reminds me of emulator compatibility, with all the unreliability that entails. Games that work great on some people's PCs but not others, users giving the thumbs up for "perfect" compatibility because their $2000 PC runs a game fine at 60 FPS (even though they'd get 100+ in Windows), lots of little random issues popping up that need game-specific workarounds for everything (on top of the existing pc game jank people already deal with). I mean, it IS cool that it's possible at all and better than Wine in a lot of cases, but unless Valve's secret sauce is going to radically change how Proton works in some way I wouldn't want to rely on it, especially on an underpowered handheld. I would not expect any demanding 3D game running through Proton to run well at all on the steam deck.

Then just install Windows on it.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

My 4ish year old Dell XPS 15 with a 1050 (non-Ti) runs stuff on Proton fine. Nothing super intense, obviously, but it's pretty darn good. Surprisingly good. Try it.

Edit: Is it verified that installing Windows on this is trivial?

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Sneeze Party posted:

My 4ish year old Dell XPS 15 with a 1050 (non-Ti) runs stuff on Proton fine. Nothing super intense, obviously, but it's pretty darn good. Surprisingly good. Try it.

Edit: Is it verified that installing Windows on this is trivial?

I'm not sure it's "verified" But Valve mentioned it, and it's using standard hardware if I have read the right reports. If it truly is freely unlocked, I will probably give it a go, and then go back to Linux if I don't like it. Maybe even set it up in dual boot.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

tired: windows on the steam deck

wired: linux on the steam deck

inspired: hackintosh on the steam deck

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Floob posted:

I'm not sure it's "verified" But Valve mentioned it, and it's using standard hardware if I have read the right reports. If it truly is freely unlocked, I will probably give it a go, and then go back to Linux if I don't like it. Maybe even set it up in dual boot.

They've said many times you can install Windows on it. Now how much of that is some Elon bullshit who knows, it could be all be smoke up the rear end.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/15/22578879/valve-steam-deck-handheld-pc-windows-support

https://www.windowscentral.com/can-you-install-windows-steam-deck

https://www.pcgamer.com/you-can-install-windows-on-a-steam-deck-and-possibly-other-game-storefronts-too/

but who fuckin knows

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

I would not expect any demanding 3D game running through Proton to run well at all on the steam deck.
The IGN guys were playing Jedi Fallen Order on it all day and it looked like it was running pretty well.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

repiv posted:

inspired: hackintosh on the steam deck
No joke, my father's mentioned actually doing something like this as a cheap PC for my mother.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Demanding 3D game is fairly vague.

It could mean anything

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Checking ProtonDB is a good way to see what games will definitely work, but keep in mind that listings there come from users with an infinite combination of different hardware and software setups while Valve only have to get things working on one hardware SKU and have total control over the software stack. For example if a game relies on some weird quirk or feature in the which doesn't have a Linux equivalent, they could patch it in without waiting for their changes to make it upstream to the Linux kernel or whatever.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 21, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I would not expect any demanding 3D game running through Proton to run well at all on the steam deck.

There's a site that benchmarks games on Proton vs. Windows native: https://flightlessmango.com

Rule of thumb seems to be Proton runs most games at about 90% of the speed of Windows

Games that use Vulkan on Windows are the exception as Vulkan can be passed through on Linux with no translation overhead, but not that many games use Vulkan, DirectX 11 and 12 are dominant

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

SCheeseman posted:

Checking ProtonDB is a good way to see what games will definitely work, but keep in mind that Valve listings there come from users with an infinite combination of different hardware and software setups while Valve only have to get things working on one hardware SKU and have total control over the software stack.

This really can't be overstated, I think. A lot of issues come less from actual device power and more just drivers interfacing with solutions, so them being able to optimize for a very specific hardware subset helps a lot. It won't to magic and let you run 2077 at 144 FPS or some ludicrous poo poo, but you can expect compatibility to at least be decent.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The IGN guys were playing Jedi Fallen Order on it all day and it looked like it was running pretty well.

They also showed Control and I remember that being a taxing title (but that might just be RTX poo poo doing it).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sigher posted:

They also showed Control and I remember that being a taxing title (but that might just be RTX poo poo doing it).

It’s taxing even with no RTX going on.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, I saw those. I'm mostly just pointing out that unless valve works some real magic (and who knows, maybe they will), it seems like it's going to be a finnicky experience with additional overhead burdening an already underpowered device. I still think it'll be great for a lot of games, but I think Valve might be overselling the "it just works" aspect a bit. It looks like, as it stands, it's going to take a fair bit of fiddling with settings and stuff to get a lot of windows games to work right. Maybe it'll encourage more devs to port their games to linux though. That'd be nice.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I recently upgraded from a gtx970 / i7 3770. Everything still ran great at 1080p, only upgraded for VR and 1440p. I bet the Deck will hit 60fps with most games at 720p.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Yeah, I saw those. I'm mostly just pointing out that unless valve works some real magic (and who knows, maybe they will), it seems like it's going to be a finnicky experience with additional overhead burdening an already underpowered device. I still think it'll be great for a lot of games, but I think Valve might be overselling the "it just works" aspect a bit. It looks like, as it stands, it's going to take a fair bit of fiddling with settings and stuff to get a lot of windows games to work right. Maybe it'll encourage more devs to port their games to linux though. That'd be nice.
Personally, I'm mainly looking forward to:
-High-powered emulation through stuff like RetroArch, covering systems through Dreamcast/Gamecube/Wii
-Playing games that people say work perfectly or are Linux-native

I'm not convinced about the "bring in your whole Steam library and just go at it," but if I get that too, it's a nice bonus.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
even if AAA titles made post the release of the thing never work at all, the number of well reviewed, proton compatible games which I already own but have never even installed is legion, because of humble bundles and the like.

A selling point of the steam deck for me is "maybe I can play some of this poo poo I already own but will never ever bother to install and play on a PC because if I am in front of my PC gaming I am wearing a HMD 90% of the time".

One thing I'm less nuts about : if this had been an Index style, $600-down thing, I don't know if I would have done it, but if I had I'd be in "fire and forget" mode. As is, I had to set up some email filters and alerts and stuff to make sure I don't miss my window whenever the gently caress they offer it to me. Still, this was a much better experience than landing the 3070 and 3080 I landed last fall, and also a better experience by far than my various efforts to fail to order an RTX card or reserve an Xbox.

JazzFlight posted:

I'm not convinced about the "bring in your whole Steam library and just go at it," but if I get that too, it's a nice bonus.

this is where I am. If it runs retroarch perfectly and then some ~40-50% subset of the random Proton games I already have extremely well, then it's an awesome retroarch box that happens to do a bunch of other poo poo.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I recently upgraded from a gtx970 / i7 3770. Everything still ran great at 1080p, only upgraded for VR and 1440p. I bet the Deck will hit 60fps with most games at 720p.

I think the question will be, is it max/high/med settings that it'll do 720p60 at (depending on the game, obvs). You can (and I have) done squint your eyes try to estimate performance, but that quad channel GDDR5 is an X factor I'm not sure how to evaluate.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I just started going through my Switch library, and the number of games I own that exist on both the Switch and Steam are actually quite high. I didn't buy my switch to fanboy Nintendo, I literally bought the thing to Play Skyrim on the go, and that library has grown. I have a 1TB SD card in the Switch almost to capacity, that will probably end up being moved over to the Deck, because I already own most of these games on Steam.

As I look at the titles I care about, the Deck really makes sense. This is the technology I have been waiting years for. Oh I hope they can execute on this...

Well, I guess Animal Crossing has been a big title for me, but it's not like I am tossing out my Switch.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Floob posted:

Well, I guess Animal Crossing has been a big title for me, but it's not like I am tossing out my Switch.

I sold mine to buy 3 copies of Ravagan, Nimble Pilferer but I make fairly poor decisions in general on these issues

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I sold mine to buy 3 copies of Ravagan, Nimble Pilferer but I make fairly poor decisions in general on these issues

Does a switch not sell for enough to buy a playset or did you already have one?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I know the MtG market can be crazy, but you sold a Switch and games for three copies of a MtG card? Yikes.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Does a switch not sell for enough to buy a playset or did you already have one?

does not cover a playset

Saoshyant posted:

I know the MtG market can be crazy, but you sold a Switch and games for three copies of a MtG card? Yikes.

Yep, on the other hand the switch had sat on its shelf completely unused for more than 6 months and depreciated somewhat. Cards will get used at least a couple times a month and might hold more value if they dodge the ban roulette. I don't care much, it's all sunk costs to me, magic players are constitutionally dumb about things or we'd play a game whose cash input to emotional payout ratio was better.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MtG: Arena can be much less expensive than paper magic.

And honestly I'm probably gonna play quite a bit of it on the Steam Deck. Probably with less lag than on any of my other computers.

Because we've reached the point where you need high-end gaming components to play a card game.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I think the question will be, is it max/high/med settings that it'll do 720p60 at (depending on the game, obvs). You can (and I have) done squint your eyes try to estimate performance, but that quad channel GDDR5 is an X factor I'm not sure how to evaluate.

Yeah thats fair. I fully expect the pc community to sperg out on every game and for a shared google doc to appear showing the ~optimum~ settings for each individual boss fight in a game.

The tiny bit they showed of Control definitely looked like it was running at 30fps, but that is an extreme example of course. This thing can technically do ray tracing right?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

RDNA2 GPUs can, but Proton can't.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Nuts and Gum posted:

This thing can technically do ray tracing right?

If it can, only in the most literal of sense that you could turn it on. All of the Nvidia cards that do ray tracing have hardware specifically for it and even then take a massive performance hit. I would expect single digit framerates trying to enable raytracing on this thing.

E: AMD latest GPUs, of which this share an architecture, can enable it without the hardware Nvidia is using, but again, massive performance hit, talking 30fps at 1080p for a GPU that costs more than a base model are deck.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Haven't seen this posted, video from Valve focused towards developers towards developers for the Steam Deck and Steamworks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q_C5KVJbUw

Nothing really new in there, but they do say that they've done more work to Proton that hasn't been released to the public yet and that they are hoping to have EAC and BattlEye compatible before launch.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I tried Retroarch for the first time because of this thread, and wow, what's with the really awful keyboard controls? I had to go look in the manual to figure out that backspace is the back button in menus and I still can't figure out how to remap that to the escape key.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah all the complaints about RetroArch are valid. With a controller-based device you can just switch to an xmb style layout which is innocuous.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Roadie posted:

I tried Retroarch for the first time because of this thread, and wow, what's with the really awful keyboard controls? I had to go look in the manual to figure out that backspace is the back button in menus and I still can't figure out how to remap that to the escape key.

It's almost 100% assumed you will be using it with a controller. It doesn't forgive having terrible keyboard bindings, but that's how it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Never use a keyboard for anything other than navigating menus for initial set-up in RetroArch.