Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Sheivor is played by Cecilie Stenspil who's a great actress but she seems to have received direction to use a gruff and raspy voice which makes the performance feel extremely one-note and non-expressive imo. I much prefer her natural speaking voice.
https://youtu.be/O1zRxAFbj5U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PerilPastry posted:

Sheivor is played by Cecilie Stenspil who's a great actress but she seems to have received direction to use a gruff and raspy voice which makes the performance feel extremely one-note and non-expressive imo. I much prefer her natural speaking voice.
https://youtu.be/O1zRxAFbj5U

isn't it because she had her throat ripped open by a wolf as a child

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I put the game into animus mode for the gender select and the forced ~gruff~ voice for sheivor got annoying after the second bit of dialogue so I think I'll switch to heivor for now

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Heivor is an incredibly Nordic man. A voice and accent that feels authentic to a paradox multiplayer game or an Eve online op.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Eivor Varinsdottir is a lady.

That's all I need to know. Let the Animus choose.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Sheivor superiority, IMO

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I've given sheivor another chance because Heivor was too mumbly, and she's actually grown on me.

Also is it just my lovely TV or is this game dark as balls? Is this just what HDR is like? I had to crank up the exposure heals to see pretty much anything indoors.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

bike tory posted:

I've given sheivor another chance because Heivor was too mumbly, and she's actually grown on me.

Also is it just my lovely TV or is this game dark as balls? Is this just what HDR is like? I had to crank up the exposure heals to see pretty much anything indoors.

It looked fine to me but I had calibrated HDR through my PS5 and then dicked with the in-game HDR stuff too. Probably depends on your tv as well. HDR can darken the overall image in some cases but the result is intended to be darker darks, brighter whites, and deeper more accurate color.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm playing Black Flag again. This is still the best one.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lady Eivor changes drastically between Norway and England. It's like they recorded the VO for those parts of the game like a year apart and gave completely different direction. Her performance is basically what Geralt would be if he were a woman.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Jimbot posted:

Lady Eivor changes drastically between Norway and England. It's like they recorded the VO for those parts of the game like a year apart and gave completely different direction. Her performance is basically what Geralt would be if he were a woman.

Ah, that explains it. I made the switch to Heivor when I set off to England. Makes sense dev cycle wise.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm playing Black Flag again. This is still the best one.

Try Rogue next if you haven't already. A lot of people missed it but it's basically Black Flag standalone expansion.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

(accidental doubleposting)

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Playing Unity the first time and it's so good even though the movements are clunky and the map is cluttered with pointless little missions. Paris just feels right and not being able to climb everywhere or kill everyone easily makes figuring out your routes matter.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I second the recommendation of trying Rogue if you, like most of the people me included, skipped it originally.

The story outside Animus is hilariously useless and actually ends with a sort of self-aware joke about it. However, the game play, map and overall length is really good, balanced and well-adjusted, and it does not overstay it's welcome by padding up the story missions too much.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thirding rogue; in a lot of ways, it's just a palette-swapped black flag, but black flag owned, so I don't mind

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I launch AC Origins from Ubi Connect. It launches it as a steam app. Which then launches it as an ubi connect game.

:psyboom:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Rogue's really good but it might be a bit much playing it straight after Black Flag.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

bike tory posted:

I don't find it too dark, but man, it's almost impossible for me to see the markers on the map. A little white glowing spot on a white map? I guess it's supposed to be hard to find, but this is just silly.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zombie Dachshund posted:

I don't find it too dark, but man, it's almost impossible for me to see the markers on the map. A little white glowing spot on a white map? I guess it's supposed to be hard to find, but this is just silly.

Yeah that was a questionable design choice for me. I guess they were trying to avoid making the map look too cluttered with icons before you explore it, but I think they overcompensated a little.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Assassin's Creed maps have always been awful. I remember AC3 and its blue-on-blue map (terra incognita was a differently textured blue, and you had to hunt down patches of it for an achievement).

Then for Black Fgag one of the first teaser images had a vey legible red-on-yellow minimap that got me all hot and bothered.

For the release they went back to blue-on-blue.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ilitarist posted:

Try Rogue next if you haven't already. A lot of people missed it but it's basically Black Flag standalone expansion.

I played a bit of it (got the two pack thing with the remaster on Switch) and the setting is just so boring that I couldn't get into it.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Fair enough. Those games are all about the setting. If it couldn't grab you then there's no point in continuing.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Any combat advice for Valhalla? I'm playing on the hardest difficulty which in the other rear end Creed games of this generation I've found challenging but manageable, but I'm getting my rear end kicked here. Ill probably just drop the difficulty if this keeps up but I'm wondering if there's something to the combat that hasn't clicked with me yet.

Also any particular skills I should beeline? The skill trees are dauntingly large and hard to explore.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bike tory posted:

Any combat advice for Valhalla? I'm playing on the hardest difficulty which in the other rear end Creed games of this generation I've found challenging but manageable, but I'm getting my rear end kicked here. Ill probably just drop the difficulty if this keeps up but I'm wondering if there's something to the combat that hasn't clicked with me yet.

Also any particular skills I should beeline? The skill trees are dauntingly large and hard to explore.

Play it like dark souls not Assassins Creed.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Dodging slowing time is king. Power attack and throwing axes are good too.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

bike tory posted:

I too played them all on the highest difficulty setting and found Valhalla the easiest. Early on you might have some problems if you don't have enough food, so my advice is to run around and consume mushrooms from the ground when it gets dangerous. Another big difference is that bow is basically not a separate playstyle but part of your melee combos: to get down a stronger enemy you either use a special ability or shoot them in weak spots and then execute.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

bike tory posted:

there's one that lets you do one hit assassinations regardless of enemy level which is essential if you are into stealth at all

also one lets you double wield any two weapons in the game, there are many combinations of which that transform you into a killing machine. two 2h swords was my favorite but the hammer/flail combo and double hammer are also great

also the one where you pick up swords off the ground and throw them is cool

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 20, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The dual-wield 2h trait also lets you equip a shield & two-handed weapon at the same time, which expands your arsenal options without taking away your shield, if you're a sword & board-liker.

And if you're true freak, you can dual wield shields

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

bike tory posted:

I like shooting things, so my top skills have been the one that lets the raven loot enemies you shoot, and the one that makes arrows always lootable back off enemies once they're dead (only seems to keep 1-2 arrows per corpse though, even if you've butchered it and shot ten into them).

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
https://twitter.com/assassinscreed/status/1417153423649255426?s=21

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Sudden update for Odyssey? Can't wait!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Looks like Siege of Paris trophies have been added so that should be releasing within the next few weeks.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Without necessarily spoiling anything or whatever I'm playing through Odyssey having finished origins and might get valhalla on a sale but are they still insisting on yanking you out of the cool poo poo into a dumb modern day plot with all the timing of a saturday morning cartoon commercial break?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

fast cars loose anus posted:

Without necessarily spoiling anything or whatever I'm playing through Odyssey having finished origins and might get valhalla on a sale but are they still insisting on yanking you out of the cool poo poo into a dumb modern day plot with all the timing of a saturday morning cartoon commercial break?

Yeah

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

fast cars loose anus posted:

Yeah although I think it was noticeably less this time around

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I guess at this point it would be more surprising if they finally stopped that but I had to check. Thanks.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
They basically did stop for Unity and Syndicate, it was Origins that started having playable modern day stuff again.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They basically did stop for Unity and Syndicate, it was Origins that started having playable modern day stuff again.

I haven't played Unity but I definitely think the Layla trilogy approach of 'read some emails and maybe have a five minute action setpiece near the end' is better than the weird POV cutscenes of a guy watching security footage of Shaun and Rebecca? For some reason?

Both are better than the extremely lengthy, combat heavy modern day pieces of the Desmond era though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Wolfsheim posted:

I haven't played Unity but I definitely think the Layla trilogy approach of 'read some emails and maybe have a five minute action setpiece near the end' is better than the weird POV cutscenes of a guy watching security footage of Shaun and Rebecca? For some reason?

Both are better than the extremely lengthy, combat heavy modern day pieces of the Desmond era though

Agreed. Odyssey DLC ending with melee fight against Otso, big bad templar enforcer that was advertised since Rogue. Five games. Five games later he finally shows up to beat you and he's alone and carries a stick. Unity and Syndicate are even dumber though. I don't think anything had even happened in Unity modern day. They searched for something in Arno's memories and... didn't find it. That's it. You can skip that game, dear fans of modern day plot.