Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
vc backed means there can be no quiet peace, its explode or die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bob dobbs is dead posted:

these are deec numbers for cash portion, w/o equity at all

equity can get to like, half in tech major land

very good point those numbers are explicitly base salary

also barkbell based on that reply it’s very likely in the “shares aren’t worth considering” camp.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
non voting shares, ill ask about the dividends. its a decade old i meant.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

oh if they're actual real shares that pay dividends that's an entirely different conversation, yeah. just ask to see what the dividend payouts have been for the past few years and then ask yourself if the strike price is worth those payouts moving forwards. pretty standard actual real investing stuff

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I’ve never heard of a company paying dividends on unexercised options.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

yeah you’d have to exercise them. another thing that could happen but is absurdly rare is a buyback program, which a private company might put in place for their options to be worth anything to employees who’ve been there a long time.

they essentially calculated the strike price based on their magic arbitrary valuation around grant time, can decide to do that eval again, and buy the options back from you as if it were a sale.

I’ve heard of it being floated at a place I worked at that had been going for 20 years and no intent to sell, but I left before anything happened.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

CarForumPoster posted:

I’ve never heard of a company paying dividends on unexercised options.

well of course not. you exercise the option to get the shares, then you get the dividends. typically it vests over a period of time

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
any chance we're talking about an esop? if so it's basically cash valued shares based on an external audit with a specific vesting and distribution schedule

probably not tho

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
btw barkbell, please don't assume from our posting that you are supposed to have already understood all this poo poo. you are benefitting from decades of collective wisdom, mostly gathered from having hosed it up ourselves in the past. poo poo's complicated

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
even worse shits deliberately complicated to make the offer look good.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

even worse shits deliberately complicated to make the offer look good.
yep

the fact that it is very hard and confusing to tell what that "equity" is worth should be a very strong hint about its actual value

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
my guess is that they're offering you some number of options at a valuation they had done by an external auditor a year ago (20k / the strike price gives the number of options they're offering). they will probably vest over the next four years and have some condition attached that you can only exercise vested options in the event of an ipo or acquisition.

if they do ipo or get acquired you will then get the choice to exercise the options by paying the 20k and then you own the stock which should be worth more than the strike price (because the ipo valuation will be higher than the previous valuation). once you own the stock you can keep it if you want or you sell and you make the difference between the current stock price and the strike price you paid (but maybe you have to wait a 6 month "lockup" from the ipo). if they don't ipo within ten years or something (there's probably an expiry on them) or they get acquired cheap then you just don't exercise and it's worth zero to you.

the idea for them is that they get you on a vesting schedule which makes you want to stay longer, and everyone is theoretically incentivised to build a valuable company because a better ipo/acquision is better for you

you can try for more if you like, they probably have a limited pool (eg. 500k) to hand out to new hires and promotions before they have to go back to the board/investors to authorise a new pot for giving out more

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I wish there was more EU talk because I'm currently browsing for a new job and the salaries in the Netherlands at least are extremely not at the levels discussed itt.

Like, I'm a senior fullstack guy and the range seems to hover around 60k for a 40hr position, which is a bummer because that's already what I'm making and I was sneakily expecting to come out ahead after a move.

Luxury problems though, not like i actually need more money.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Full remote for US company? That's how I solved my last job change to get better pay :v:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my new job will be £68k for a principal dev role, fully remote but everyone is Belfast-based. should have held out for 1k more :smith:

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
the company in question has 2 germans on it.

also thanks for all the shares talk. i have a good list of questions to send them this morning

barkbell fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 21, 2021

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Barkbell's place is so close to mine that I had to double check it isn't us :v:

My place is younger and I am reasonably sure isn't looking for angular/scala, but that's about it for differences.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Osmosisch posted:

I wish there was more EU talk because I'm currently browsing for a new job and the salaries in the Netherlands at least are extremely not at the levels discussed itt.

Like, I'm a senior fullstack guy and the range seems to hover around 60k for a 40hr position, which is a bummer because that's already what I'm making and I was sneakily expecting to come out ahead after a move.

I am also a senior fullstack guy, although in Stockholm, not the Netherlands. I get 60k SEK/month plus some monopoly money stock options (company isn't public). That's about 82k USD/year base at current exchange rates; then I pay a bit over 30% of that in tax. The company is headquartered in Stockholm but also has a sizeable Palo Alto office, and my team is split across these two locations with the hiring manager in the US, so I suspect that drags the salaries up a bit. I got the impression when I was hired that I could probably have made out with even more money if I hadn't named a number first. Still I'm very happy with this, it's a shitton of money by my reckoning. IME a lot of EU companies without much of a US presence are insisting on much lower pay grades but the market is definitely moving upwards pretty quickly.

We're hiring by the way, both in Stockholm and in Palo Alto, and I believe there are also remote-in-the-US and mostly-remote-in-Sweden options available (I myself am planning to go into the office 1-3 days a week in the future). Current headcount is something like 200 people, but you will definitely have heard of the company and I can pretty confidently say that our main product is good. My team is doing a rather mundane enterprise sales platform with some moderately obnoxious technical debt in golang/react/mysql ( :gonk: ); the code is pretty bad (not terrible) but the people are good and I have good hopes we can turn it around. Other teams I don't know very well, I've only been here a couple of months and I haven't met that many other people yet. We're mostly hiring web peeps right now, both frontend and fullstack, but there are a few other openings on other teams as well. I'd just post a link to our jobs page but I'd prefer to stay a little bit more anonymous than that. PM's are open.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 21, 2021

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

belfast is in a pretty good place now to be a dev, it’s been touted for years now as one of the lowest-cost anglophone places to set up an office. so a bunch of expanding startups in the states as well as british companies opened up offices for dev teams.

demand for developers massively outstrips supply so if you move jobs every year or two you’re almost guaranteed a big salary bump. i was making £26k 5 years ago, £36k 3 years ago, currently on £53k and moving to £68k

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

DELETE CASCADE posted:

btw barkbell, please don't assume from our posting that you are supposed to have already understood all this poo poo. you are benefitting from decades of collective wisdom, mostly gathered from having hosed it up ourselves in the past. poo poo's complicated

Yea for sure. There's so many permutations and reasons for different setups too.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Xarn posted:

Full remote for US company? That's how I solved my last job change to get better pay :v:

You may be right. I do appreciate working locally but perhaps I'm selling myself short a bit. Now to find a job filter that blocks out all the blockchain bullshit :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I happen to have 3 coworkers in the same city, and something like 6 more in the same country, so we sometimes meet up

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
hr called me asking for clarity on what i meant when i said i had a potential for 25% equity with a fortune 50 that i just had my 4th round with. i guess i was really shitfaced on monday

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

what did you tell them when they called you back

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

On that note heres what you should make in for a SW engineer by level and area. This assumes that the levels are 1-6 with 6 being a high technical expert. I only posted 1-5. This is for all company sizes. Generally, Seed/Aeries A round startups will be on the lower side and mega corps will be on the lower side except for the FAANGs.

Heres SF/NYC:
code:
Job	Level	25th	50th	75th
Software Engineering	1	$91k	$110k	$127k
Software Engineering	2	$130k	$150k	$170k
Software Engineering	3	$150k	$170k	$200k
Software Engineering	4	$162k	$180k	$205k
Software Engineering	5	$190k	$200k	$223k
Heres a major hub city like Austin, Denver, DC
code:
Job	Level	25th	50th	75th	Average
Software Engineering	1	$85k	$105k	$115k	$98k
Software Engineering	2	$113k	$130k	$150k	$132k
Software Engineering	3	$128k	$142k	$155k	$148k
Software Engineering	4	$147k	$162k	$180k	$163k
Software Engineering	5	$173k	$194k	$210k	$190k
Here's other cities that arent significant tech ones, but still cities.
code:
Job	Level	25th	50th	75th	Average
Software Engineering	1	$73k	$90k	$106k	$91k
Software Engineering	2	$106k	$131k	$155k	$131k
Software Engineering	3	$125k	$140k	$165k	$146k
Software Engineering	4	$140k	$160k	$180k	$161k
Software Engineering	5	$175k	$198k	$215k	$194k
Software Engineering	6	$180k	$211k	$240k	$206k

Do you have sources for this? I'd like to tear into it a bit since i am both in a non-hub city and not actually a dev and im definitely hitting the averages here

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Private Speech posted:

what did you tell them when they called you back

from my understanding that is a value in percentage of pay in RSUs and that ill get more clarification in my call with them later today, also that my interview with company no3 went really well this morning lmao

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Xarn posted:

See this sounds so nice, but for me figuring our the taxes for US -> DK, I just imagine a slow hell

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol you gotta stop using raw percentages as if they mean something. telling someone "other company will give me 25%" without telling them _of what_ is meaningless. especially if you're not sure what it means in the first place

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

Osmosisch posted:

I'm in Hamburg and i think the average pay for a mid-level developer is around 60K as well, but this is interesting if you're interested in figgies:
https://blog.pragmaticengineer.com/software-engineering-salaries-in-the-netherlands-and-europe/

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Achmed Jones posted:

lol you gotta stop using raw percentages as if they mean something. telling someone "other company will give me 25%" without telling them _of what_ is meaningless. especially if you're not sure what it means in the first place

apparently i said 25% equity. i was drunk and was making it up on the spot

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Do you have sources for this? I'd like to tear into it a bit since i am both in a non-hub city and not actually a dev and im definitely hitting the averages here

:same:

I'm also surprised not to see Seattle on that list, although I imagine it's in the SF/NYC tier.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

barkbell posted:

playing competing offers against each other is cool + good but, um, please be careful

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Esposito posted:

I'm in Hamburg and i think the average pay for a mid-level developer is around 60K as well, but this is interesting if you're interested in figgies:
https://blog.pragmaticengineer.com/software-engineering-salaries-in-the-netherlands-and-europe/

I've seen that article do the rounds every so often and it's very interesting, but also pretty depressing how few of the top paying companies in that list are even remotely ethical to work for.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
ya it was dumb of me to do but uhhh yolo

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Do you have sources for this?

none that I can share

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

barkbell posted:

lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

if you haven't eaten the foot in your mouth you could say 25% of your total comp is equity and your total comp is $xxx but lol for real. hopefully you didn't sound obviously drunk on the phone

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

barkbell posted:

i understand that. my point is that that is meaningless.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
hi yes thank you for your offer, if you could come up to $125k base and a 25% ownership stake in the company i would gladly sign today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Days after I got strong feedback from all interviews they gave me a non-negotiable lowball offer. Went from "max is X but we'll make it work if we find the right candidate" to "strong yes from all interviews" to "X? Who said that? Here's an offer for X-20% and we can't go any higher".

edit: I'm not bitter. I've just hired people under me for X+$30k base. Not bitter about my time being wasted at all.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 21, 2021