Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

The subpopulation breakdown tweet post was literally right above yours, you are committing the base rate fallacy all over again.

"68% of the population double-jabbed" is the wrong metric, since the vast majority of hospitalizations are among the elderly who have a much higher rate of vaccination.

https://twitter.com/kennyshirley/status/1417177778013843456

Which is all to say "xx% of hospitalizations double jabbed" isn't necessarily concerning even if it's actually 60 instead of 40.

Call me crazy but I actually I think that a 68:60 ratio would be quite concerning if that were reality. If the vaccine were working as advertised I’d expect it to be under 20% rather than 60%. But this is all based on bad numbers from the UK science man having an accident so it’s moot now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OH man the MoneyPox!

quote:

CDC monitoring 200 people in 27 states for monkeypox

https://nypost.com/2021/07/20/cdc-monitoring-200-people-in-27-states-for-monkeypox/

The CDC is monitoring more than 200 people in 27 states for possible exposure to monkeypox, after they were in contact with a Texan who contracted the rare disease in Nigeria earlier this month.

No additional cases of the smallpox-related disease have been detected in the US, according to Stat.

State and local health officials are working with the feds to monitor the individuals who were in contact with the monkeypox patient and follow up with them daily until July 30, according to the website.

The patient traveled from Lagos to Dallas with a layover in Atlanta on July 8 and 9, nearly a week before being diagnosed with the rare bug, which can be transmitted through respiratory droplets and body fluids, the CDC said.

The people being monitored include fliers who sat within six feet of the patient or used the mid-cabin bathroom on the overseas flight, according to the article.

Now if people were actually following good PPE protocols(from the same article)...

quote:

“We define indirect contact as being within six feet of the patient in the absence of an N-95 or any filtering respirator for greater than or equal to three hours,” McCollum reportedly said.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I might lie and get a third shot idk. Couldn’t hurt right

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Mush Mushi posted:

Call me crazy but I actually I think that a 68:60 ratio would be quite concerning if that were reality. If the vaccine were working as advertised I’d expect it to be under 20% rather than 60%. But this is all based on bad numbers from the UK science man having an accident so it’s moot now.
68 : 60 might be just fine if 95% of the elderly are vaccinated and the base rate for hospitalizations is that most of them are among the elderly.

That's just a version of simpson's paradox: every single subgroup might have 90% reduction in hospitalization when vaccinated, but the overall sample is heavily biased towards unvaccinated children and vaccinated elderly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MarcusSA posted:

OH man the MoneyPox!

Now if people were actually following good PPE protocols(from the same article)...

Wait, what?

Did this one guy go on a twenty‐seven‐state tour in as many days, or did he go to an event that drew people from that number of states or what?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Mush Mushi posted:

did you just read the statistician's explanation on why 60% is nbd (although yes, ultimately not true), disregard it entirely, and then make up some numbers that would make you feel good?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ante posted:

did you just read the statistician's explanation on why 60% is nbd (although yes, ultimately not true), disregard it entirely, and then make up some numbers that would make you feel good?

yes lol

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

bradburypancakes posted:

The UK Chief scientific adviser did misspeak in a press conference earlier today

https://twitter.com/uksciencechief/status/1417204235356213252?s=20

60% is different in metric

vvv Edit: It'll help someone sleep at night, but lord knows none of them deserve it. vvv

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 21, 2021

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

What the hell? Did someone in his family die of covid?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

"just like we've been saying" lol that's some colossal gaslighting even by Fox's standards

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I hope antivaxxers and all those at Fox news who promoted antivaccine info and "covid is fake" etc are judged as criminals some day

They are the reason I still need to wear a freakin mask every day

Every time I put it on I think "This could've been avoided"

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

WhiteHowler posted:

I guess someone finally realized that their viewing/voting demographic is most at risk of dying of COVID.

Stock market had a oopsie yesterday

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

ante posted:

At the time that the 60% figure came out I was observing that based on the current vaccination rates by age group and published efficacy rates I did not expect to hear that 60% of hospitalizations were fully vaccinated. We now know that that factoid was incorrect. I understand that in a 95% vaxxed society a majority of cases will be vaccinated etc., but we aren’t at that level of vaccination yet either, so 95% also isn’t a real number for any age cohort.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I hope antivaxxers and all those at Fox news who promoted antivaccine info and "covid is fake" etc are judged as criminals some day
If/when Tucker Carlson dies drowning in his own phlegm in a COVID ward, I hope it's televised.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

WhiteHowler posted:

If/when Tucker Carlson dies drowning in his own phlegm in a COVID ward, I hope it's televised.

I would bet every dollar I have Carlson is vaccinated. Fox News even has their own vaccine passport system for staff: https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/19/media/fox-vaccine-passport/index.html

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Mush Mushi posted:

At the time that the 60% figure came out I was observing that based on the current vaccination rates by age group and published efficacy rates I did not expect to hear that 60% of hospitalizations were fully vaccinated. We now know that that factoid was incorrect. I understand that in a 95% vaxxed society a majority of cases will be vaccinated etc., but we aren’t at that level of vaccination yet either, so 95% also isn’t a real number for any age cohort.
95% of those age 70+ have been vaccinated since April

edit: Those are first dose numbers, but second dose numbers are >90% for some groups for some time and the same reasoning applies at 90% too.

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 21, 2021

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
Well gently caress ME then. Thought I was reading something showing it was lower even for 50+. Sorry thread.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is pretty awesome

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1417684611002470400?s=21

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

And yet CHUDs are still pushing the #TrudeauVaccineFail hashtag lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mush Mushi posted:

Well gently caress ME then. Thought I was reading something showing it was lower even for 50+. Sorry thread.

It's okay, a lot of the statistics are hard to find or have even been deliberately obscured by local governments/DHs to make things look better. It also doesn't help that there's often no clear answer to a question and different countries will have different statistics based on slightly different criteria, the health authorities keep changing their recommendations and the media mixes it all up anyway for the sake of attention grabbing headlines.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Koirhor posted:

Stock market had a oopsie yesterday

Stock market recovered a bunch so that means COVID is over

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

as much as we all hate him, you really don't wanna watch that. speaking from experience.

MarcusSA posted:

OH man the MoneyPox!

:lol: when your plague doesn't plague hard enough you bring in another plague!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

as much as we all hate him, you really don't wanna watch that. speaking from experience.
I don't. I want his shithead COVID-denier viewers to see it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Eh you know Carlson and all the bigwigs at Fox are certainly vaxxed. Same with MTG although she's crazy and dumb enough not to. If they were truly putting their mouth where their money is, so to speak, they wouldn't be all cute with their answers when asked if they are vaxxed.

And yeah, if you look through the covid related articles at foxnews.com they are still almost all designed to cast doubt on vaccination and vaccine promoting efforts, or gloat about Texas Dems getting covid etc. etc.

I just thought it somewhat remarkable that there was ANY statements promoting vaccination at all on their site.

It's still remarkable to me that the GOP and RW media views the U.S. failing and staying mired in Covid to be a political "win", even at the cost of a lot of their supporters getting sick and dying.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Zwabu posted:

Eh you know Carlson and all the bigwigs at Fox are certainly vaxxed. Same with MTG although she's crazy and dumb enough not to. If they were truly putting their mouth where their money is, so to speak, they wouldn't be all cute with their answers when asked if they are vaxxed.

And yeah, if you look through the covid related articles at foxnews.com they are still almost all designed to cast doubt on vaccination and vaccine promoting efforts, or gloat about Texas Dems getting covid etc. etc.

I just thought it somewhat remarkable that there was ANY statements promoting vaccination at all on their site.

It's still remarkable to me that the GOP and RW media views the U.S. failing and staying mired in Covid to be a political "win", even at the cost of a lot of their supporters getting sick and dying.

Could be as simple as " look at what covid did to Trumps popularity, let's get Joe to look bad during Covid too". But the affect has been so blatantly affecting the red states that have gobbled up their propaganda.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Some nice infographics on what vaccine efficacy means and how it's calculated:

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Woof Blitzer posted:

I might lie and get a third shot idk. Couldn’t hurt right

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Not like anyone else is getting them right now

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Platystemon posted:

Wait, what?

Did this one guy go on a twenty‐seven‐state tour in as many days, or did he go to an event that drew people from that number of states or what?

He had a connecting flight through a hub. I suppose a hub could be considered an event that draws in people from many states.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/safetodo/status/1417651296723668997

tl;dr A guy in Canada started a website listing businesses only taking clients who are fully vaccinated and now he has to shut it down because of harassment of himself and the businesses.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Up to 3 extended family members now that have texted me long diatribes on how my kid will be raised in a terrible home with idiot parents because we are requesting proof of tdap and covid vaccines to see the baby who is due in September.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
^^^ Edit: You're the parent. You're allowed to make these kind of decisions for a baby with an immature immune system. Any family members who do not respect your wishes can go gently caress themselves.
^^^ Edit2: Also, get ready to hear the same poo poo for the breastfeeding/formula phase (no matter which way you go).

Another Bill posted:

https://twitter.com/safetodo/status/1417651296723668997

tl;dr A guy in Canada started a website listing businesses only taking clients who are fully vaccinated and now he has to shut it down because of harassment of himself and the businesses.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

I was kinda on the fence at first, but then I realized there's a lot of immunocompromised folks that could have really benefited from that kind of database. :(

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 21, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
March - First Pfizer dose
April - Second Pfizer dose
Today - Positive test

Lady said the rapid result came back immediately. I feel more sick than I've ever felt.

gently caress you rednecks.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Fenarisk posted:

Up to 3 extended family members now that have texted me long diatribes on how my kid will be raised in a terrible home with idiot parents because we are requesting proof of tdap and covid vaccines to see the baby who is due in September.

Is "Kill yourself, not my kid" too harsh?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Rolo posted:

Today - Positive test

Lady said the rapid result came back immediately. I feel more sick than I've ever felt.

gently caress you rednecks.

:( Keep us posted on how you're doing.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Rolo posted:

Today - Positive test
jerry seinfeld im out.gif

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

also i keep calling it the ligma variant IRL by accident thanks thread

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Apparently the UK has zero PICU beds available for the third day in a row

https://twitter.com/doctor_katie/status/1417893831459155970

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

numberoneposter posted:

also i keep calling it the ligma variant IRL by accident thanks thread

Thread success story.

Does anyone ever ask you what ligma is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Fenarisk posted:

Long diatribes on how my kid will be raised

I guess reply with, yeah, that's the plan.