Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Anyone else having the issue where the only Arial screensaver is downtown LA? A couple apple support threads from September but nothing since. I’ve reset my Apple TV, changed screensavers type, and changed cityscape to “hide” but it keeps reverting back to loving la.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Euphoriaphone posted:

- Swiping down to access video options is too precise. You need to swipe from the top of the circle down to open the menu. Starting from the center circle going down doesn't work. This is annoying because on the first Siri remote, you could make a down-swipe anywhere on the touchpad and it would activate
[…]
Overall, I'd have preferred it if they just kept the original design, made it thicker, and added a click-border around the touchpad like the outer ring of the new remote

I use the down button on the ring to bring up the options. Also, the new remote is more like the original design.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

savesthedayrocks posted:

Anyone else having the issue where the only Arial screensaver is downtown LA? A couple apple support threads from September but nothing since. I’ve reset my Apple TV, changed screensavers type, and changed cityscape to “hide” but it keeps reverting back to loving la.
Used to be there were only a limited number of scenes if you had things set to HDR, plus it would only download one scene per day. That was a year or two ago, though.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
CEC worked flawlessly with my old TV/soundbar/ATV setup. Now that I've upgraded the TV it is slightly less good, as the soundbar no longer powers off/on with everything else (however this is easily sidestepped by just leaving the soundbar on all the time). Well that's my CEC story.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OldSenileGuy posted:

A similar thing happened to me when I first got my OG 4K ATV. When I first set the box up, volume control Just Worked™. And I know it was working through CEC because it worked on my iPhone remote app too.

Now like a month or so ago it stopped working. I had to manually go into the options, and the only way to get it working again was to fall back into IR.

The only time it's ever worked for me, is using ARC.

Now that I think about it, it's still the remote using IR on the TV to control the soundbar plugged into the ARC port. Honestly, as long as CEC handles power on/off and the input on the TV, the lack of mute is the only thing that really bothered me. Now that I bought the new remote to for one of my 4Gs, it works perfect for my needs.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wish Apple could get it together with “complete series” purchases of TV shows. You’d think they would just act like you had purchased each season separately but nope, it basically denies I bought it until I go into the TV shows app. By default it just shows me the Hulu version if I search for it with Siri.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dear lord the full screen ad that the YouTube app greeted with me tonight is absolutely obnoxious.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Dear lord the full screen ad that the YouTube app greeted with me tonight is absolutely obnoxious.

Google has really escalated with that kind of poo poo lately it seems. From the complaints I've seen it's *really* been ramped up on AndroidTV as well. It's got Nvidia Shield users in a frothing rage right now.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

So, here’s a question: how do Apple TV’s recommendations and “up next” work across different apps and streaming services?

More pointedly, me and my girlfriend have an account each on the Apple TV, but in the various apps, there are some with profiles and some without. Hulu, for example, does have profiles. If she is signed into her Apple TV profile, then signed into her Hulu profile, the up next and what to watch suggestions would only be based off what’s on her Hulu profile, right? If so, what circumstances would make it show her shows on my Apple TV profile? Her signing into her Hulu profile on my Apple TV profile?

If it works as mentioned above, does that mean it’s impossible to separate automatically on apps without profiles? Would I have to manually go in and remove everything from “Up Next” or would it just repopulate once she watches something in this hypothetical non-profile app?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I’m 90% sure it keeps recommendations siloed by Apple profile NOT app profile. So if she watches something on her Hulu profile but forgets to switch to her Apple profile, it’ll still show up on your carousel.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I’m 90% sure it keeps recommendations siloed by Apple profile NOT app profile. So if she watches something on her Hulu profile but forgets to switch to her Apple profile, it’ll still show up on your carousel.

Yeah, we did some "extensive" testing yesterday and this seems to be the way it performs for the most part. We have the AppleTV default to her account, then the apps, she can just choose her profile in them. The TV app seems to pull basic info from those apps based on the profile chosen in the app, like what's next, stuff I've started and not finished, all that stuff. So for the FOX NOW app, since it doesn't have profiles, it would clutter my app with stuff the both of us have watched, but that content is also on Hulu, so we just deleted the FOX app -- easy enough. Almost everything else has profiles, so it's easy living.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So I got the new Apple TV 4k for my new 4k TV and with it came free Apple Arcade. Bought a PS5 controller and everything is working great. So I saw that it supports up to 4 controllers and bought another so me and my wife can play together... except one of the controllers (when both are connected) will have about a second of input lag (if it ever registers). The Apple TV is in line of sight, and other Bluetooth devices have been turned off and nothing else is paired to it. What gives?
Sucks if it actually doesn't support it even if claiming to. I can live with it not supporting 120hz (yet) despite being HDMI 2.1. But if it turns out it can't handle more than one controlled I might just return it.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Apple's documentation on it is lacking, but I believe it's 4 MFi controllers, or 2 PS/Xbox controllers. If you have anything else paired like airpods, the controller limit goes down to one. Have you already tried power cycling the Apple TV and re-pairing the controllers?

Inept fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 6, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Inept posted:

Apple's documentation on it is lacking, but I believe it's 4 MFi controllers, or 2 PS/Xbox controllers. If you have anything else paired like airpods, the controller limit goes down to one. Have you already tried power cycling the Apple TV and re-pairing the controllers?

Headphones were paired but not connected. I tried power cycling and repairing them at different time but no luck. I did a proper restart from the system menu after unpairing. Seems to work now after pairing them again. Odd. Still getting small lag spikes sometimes but fully playable now. Thanks!

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I have one going on with an Apple TV 4K and CBS....now Paramount+. When all that merger poo poo happened, all your CBS logins became paramount logins, including live local tv, then they changed the payment model to cost about another 5 bucks a month to keep what you already had. Once I got all that straightened out I can get live TV on every device I have iOS and non iOS included with that login. The Apple TV doesn't even show the option for local. I blew the apps away, logged everything I got out, cleared session cookies, logged everything in fresh on the Apple TV, nothing.

I'm stumped. I don't want to have to wipe my apple tv to un-gently caress this, but I will.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I bought a 64GB AppleTV 4K today on a whim. I really like it! It works amazing and I'm enjoying the free months of TV+ it came with. It didn't dawn on me until just now after doing a little more research that I bought the 1st generation, and there is a new one. I picked it up at Best Buy and the little electronic tag said "Latest model" or something to that effect so I figured I was getting the newest version but I guess I didn't. Had I been thinking properly I guess I should have been suspect of the slightly lower price tag than what I had seen before going in the store. Now that I have it unboxed, setup, and in use; should I even bother trying to return it? I mean as far as I can tell it works fine and apparently the new one has a better remote but this one seems to work fine; it adjusts the tv volume and even turns it off when I put the ATV to sleep. Are there super new features of the second gen that makes it a must have over the first one? Did I accidentally save myself 40 bucks?

E: not sure if it matters, but the ATV is hooked up to my cheap 4k bedroom tv that has a built in FireStick. So it's not some elaborate high end home theater. Just a cheap tv and a soundbar that I can't even remember the name of.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 11, 2021

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mental Hospitality posted:

I bought a 64GB AppleTV 4K today on a whim. I really like it! It works amazing and I'm enjoying the free months of TV+ it came with. It didn't dawn on me until just now after doing a little more research that I bought the 1st generation, and there is a new one. I picked it up at Best Buy and the little electronic tag said "Latest model" or something to that effect so I figured I was getting the newest version but I guess I didn't. Had I been thinking properly I guess I should have been suspect of the slightly lower price tag than what I had seen before going in the store. Now that I have it unboxed, setup, and in use; should I even bother trying to return it? I mean as far as I can tell it works fine and apparently the new one has a better remote but this one seems to work fine; it adjusts the tv volume and even turns it off when I put the ATV to sleep. Are there super new features of the second gen that makes it a must have over the first one? Did I accidentally save myself 40 bucks?

E: not sure if it matters, but the ATV is hooked up to my cheap 4k bedroom tv that has a built in FireStick. So it's not some elaborate high end home theater. Just a cheap tv and a soundbar that I can't even remember the name of.

You would pay $60 for the extremely good new remote so honestly do the return imo. That way you’re set with the most current box that should last years and years. Not that the one you have won’t as well but considering how long they’ve gone between revisions you might as well deal with the hassle and get the newly released one. Just my opinion though, don’t overthink it too much!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

You would pay $60 for the extremely good new remote so honestly do the return imo. That way you’re set with the most current box that should last years and years. Not that the one you have won’t as well but considering how long they’ve gone between revisions you might as well deal with the hassle and get the newly released one. Just my opinion though, don’t overthink it too much!

I kinda gotta agree with this.

My 4k is like 2+ years old now and I have no need to upgrade but if I was going to get a new one it would 100% be the new revision.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah new remote is the biggie, and I guess since you have the soundbar, eARC support might be a thing that comes into play at some point for your setup :shrug:

Anyway that reminds me, saw this thing recently about YouTube TV's (paid) 4K support recently:
https://support.google.com/youtubetv/answer/10383365#zippy=%2Cfind-programs-you-can-watch-in-k

quote:

4K playback is only available on compatible devices:

4K Smart TVs

4K Android TV models like Sony Bravia, and others
Samsung, LG and HiSense 4K Smart TVs (2016 or later)
4K Streaming Devices connected to a 4K TV

Chromecast with Google TV
4K Roku Streaming Devices
Apple TV 4K (2021)
PS4 Pro
Amazon Fire 4k Stick (1st Gen - 2018)
Nvidia Shield

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I am getting angrier and angrier at Best Buy for having the 1st gen 4k device on their shelf while marketing it as the "latest model". Even the AV dweeb...okay the kid was all of 19 and I won't fault the poor guy...didn't even bring up I was holding an old device and they supposedly have the 2nd generation in stock, in quantity, for sale on the shelf.

I should have paid more attention I guess.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mental Hospitality posted:

I am getting angrier and angrier at Best Buy for having the 1st gen 4k device on their shelf while marketing it as the "latest model". Even the AV dweeb...okay the kid was all of 19 and I won't fault the poor guy...didn't even bring up I was holding an old device and they supposedly have the 2nd generation in stock, in quantity, for sale on the shelf.

I should have paid more attention I guess.

Yeah, Best Buy laid off like, 30% (or more) of their retail staff about 6 months ago. In a very brutal fashion too. They’re still useful, but yeah, my expectations with theIt staffing is low.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Chiming in with get the new one. Between new remote and time span between hardware revisions as others have mentioned you may as well get the latest model.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, if I’m subbed to a channel that I typically watch in the AppleTV app, there’s no way to watch that in the tv.apple.com interface, right?

I’m fine, but sadly not everyone in my family has devices with AppleTV app compatibility so I guess they’re kind of SOL for the channels I’m subscribed to.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Does anyone else have a problem with the Twitch app where you have to log out and log in again when a streamer goes subscriber-only? It's a real pain in the neck.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
No, but Twitch has horrible audio lag when I am using my OH HomePod and it drives me insane having to change my settings.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I seem to have an issue with Disney+ with some sort HDCP issue. Like I can use it just fine but sometimes I’ll come back to the app and it won’t play anything because of a DRM issue.

I have to reboot the Apple TV to fix it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MarcusSA posted:

I seem to have an issue with Disney+ with some sort HDCP issue. Like I can use it just fine but sometimes I’ll come back to the app and it won’t play anything because of a DRM issue.

I have to reboot the Apple TV to fix it.

First thing to try is another HDMI cable.

Then make sure your TV and ATV have up to date OS/firmware.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

japtor posted:

Anyway that reminds me, saw this thing recently about YouTube TV's (paid) 4K support recently:
https://support.google.com/youtubetv/answer/10383365#zippy=%2Cfind-programs-you-can-watch-in-k
I was very tempted to jump back on YTTV for 4K Olympics, but this kills it for me. The whole YouTube codec thing is a real drag.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

First thing to try is another HDMI cable.

Then make sure your TV and ATV have up to date OS/firmware.

Eh.

It’s literally the only application that does it and I know my set up is solid. I’m thinking it’s a bug on Disney’s end not an issue with my setup.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Anyone know a list of Apple TV models that can use Hulu Live tv?

e: 4th gen and 4K hmm that’s a shame but at least I know

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 21, 2021

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Anyone know a list of Apple TV models that can use Hulu Live tv?

e: 4th gen and 4K hmm that’s a shame but at least I know

If you're running a 3rd gen you should probably replace that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you're running a 3rd gen you should probably replace that.

Well it’s complicated. I’ve got a new box and a 3rd gen and then… something much older. We’re about to cancel cable and switch to Hulu Live/various apps but we’ve got four tvs to cover. Just trying to figure out the best way to go about having everything set preferably as Apple centric as possible.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Well it’s complicated. I’ve got a new box and a 3rd gen and then… something much older. We’re about to cancel cable and switch to Hulu Live/various apps but we’ve got four tvs to cover. Just trying to figure out the best way to go about having everything set preferably as Apple centric as possible.

You'll definitely need to replace that 3rd gen and anything older. Check out the Apple refurb store for some 4th gen (Apple TV HD) or better refurbs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'll sell you a 4th Gen for uh I dunno, $50 shipped

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Endless Mike posted:

I'll sell you a 4th Gen for uh I dunno, $50 shipped

This could very possibly work for me! I have a little figuring out to do but got a discord or email or something I could contact you with? That price would really help me right now.

e: awfulkilometersdavis@gmail.com :)

e: grabbed some boxes but I appreciate the offer :love:

Jose Oquendo posted:

You'll definitely need to replace that 3rd gen and anything older. Check out the Apple refurb store for some 4th gen (Apple TV HD) or better refurbs.

Oh yeah good tip on the refurbs!

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 2, 2021

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Oh yeah good tip on the refurbs!

I don't know how deep you are into the Apple ecosystem, but a good rule of thumb is to always buy from their refurb store when possible, no matter what the product is. They're 99.9% identical to new stuff and you can add AppleCare if needed.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah I have a 4 I’ll sell cheap also, it’s just sitting there in the box.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

awfulkilometersdavis@gmail.com

For those who wish to part with your Apple TVs! Can’t guarantee I’ll need more than one depending on my budget but there’s a chance I’ll go for two to set the house up right!

e: went ahead and grabbed some boxes but ty ty ty for the offer!

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know how deep you are into the Apple ecosystem, but a good rule of thumb is to always buy from their refurb store when possible, no matter what the product is. They're 99.9% identical to new stuff and you can add AppleCare if needed.

:love: Oh for sure, I just sometimes forget about it for some reason.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 2, 2021

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

My old 4k remote is losing about 20% battery per day now under pretty minimal use. Guess this is a good excuse to get the newest one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I got a new Appletv and I cannot figure out how to get the remote to work. My old remote works fine but the new one does nothing.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious.