Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They comment on the fact that being an actual undead sorcerer skeleton has stripped the protagonist of any human empathy or emotion

I know!! what an absolutely terrible idea for the characterization of the main protagonist of your show!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

Casey Finnigan posted:

I know!! what an absolutely terrible idea for the characterization of the main protagonist of your show!!

Actually, it's cool. If Overlord didn't follow through on the premise of the isekai protagonist being an actual bad guy who unleashes eldritch terrors on the world, it wouldn't be interesting at all.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I mean there's a reason those characters are usually the antagonists and not the protagonist, cause an emotionless embodiment of evil that has no real motivation for his actions is just a one note character.

especially when he's so fuckin powerful. watching ainz is like watching a steamroller drive over cardboard boxes. but a steamroller has more charisma.

it's like watching a steamroller covered in tacky skull designs drive over cardboard boxes

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
hmm actually i have to admit that watching a steamroller drive over cardboard boxes is kind of cool

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That's why the show doesn't just focus on Ainz, and lets you get to know the human supporting cast just enough to care about them. The Lizardman arc is almost all lizardmen just trying to live their lives as they're nearly about to be genocided by the protagonist.

I don't understand the need to feel like you have to relate to a protagonist, or that they have to be a good person.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there isn't going to be another season of drifters any time soon because the manga comes out incredibly slowly and has barely gotten anywhere in the last decade.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

The Orte Empire (オルテ帝国, Orute Teikoku) is a country that was established by Hitler. It expanded through the conquest of neighboring territories and continued to adhere to Hitler's principles, which involves the persecution of demihumans races. Recently, the Empire was sold to Toyohisa and the Drifters by Count Saint-Germi, as Hitler had bankrupted the empire before his death.

:pwn:

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That's why the show doesn't just focus on Ainz, and lets you get to know the human supporting cast just enough to care about them. The Lizardman arc is almost all lizardmen just trying to live their lives as they're nearly about to be genocided by the protagonist.

I don't understand the need to feel like you have to relate to a protagonist, or that they have to be a good person.

you don't need to relate to a protagonist and they don't need to be a good person but the premise of the series is literally "a normal guy is sent into an MMO world as an evil skeleton with godlike power, how is he going to handle it."

Then they decide "well he just is that evil skeleton, in every way down to his inner thoughts, and the normal guy part of him doesn't exist anymore." It's just a huge waste of potential that blandifies the series

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wanted overlord to have some depth and nuance, but that's not really what it was ever about. it's about monsters being monsters while the world struggles in vain to resist them.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Casey Finnigan posted:

hmm actually i have to admit that watching a steamroller drive over cardboard boxes is kind of cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wl8kraEhPc

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Reik posted:

GATE was the only explicit colonial isekai afaik. Like, major plot points include Japan figuring out how to best extract resources from the parallel world.

Outbreak Company is also explicitly about isekai colonialism, although the conclusion there is 'it's awful, and trade and cultural exchange between equals is way better'.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Reik posted:

Oh I forgot about the isekai where the "good guys" bring in Hitler to rebuild the human empire so they can fight off Jesus's horde of monsters. Next season of Drifters when?

Actually, the "good guys" arrive long after Hitler's death and immediately start dismantling his racist empire.

Okay, it's Nobunaga seeing the opressed Elves and deciding he can work with that.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Casey Finnigan posted:

you don't need to relate to a protagonist and they don't need to be a good person but the premise of the series is literally "a normal guy is sent into an MMO world as an evil skeleton with godlike power, how is he going to handle it."

Then they decide "well he just is that evil skeleton, in every way down to his inner thoughts, and the normal guy part of him doesn't exist anymore." It's just a huge waste of potential that blandifies the series

He retains his sense of ethics, but those ethics are also twisted into a self-serving rationalization. All the characters in Nazarick were literally built from the ground up by him and his friends in real life, and reflect all of their personalities & values - but being reclusives and outsiders even in the context of the original MMO did not make them good people. Fulfilling their fantasies in a real space has evil consequences. It's a direct challenge to escapist power fantasy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

He retains his sense of ethics, but those ethics are also twisted into a self-serving rationalization. All the characters in Nazarick were literally built from the ground up by him and his friends in real life, and reflect all of their personalities & values - but being reclusives and outsiders even in the context of the original MMO did not make them good people. Fulfilling their fantasies in a real space has evil consequences. It's a direct challenge to escapist power fantasy.

I feel like the evil has to be in some way costly, though, or you're just going 'wow, look how unstoppably evil these people are, isn't it badass'.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Actually, the "good guys" arrive long after Hitler's death and immediately start dismantling his racist empire.

Okay, it's Nobunaga seeing the opressed Elves and deciding he can work with that.

It has been a while since I've watched it, but of the two people bringing people in the world to fight for them, the same one that brought in Hitler brought in the current protagonists, right?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Second Gig has a far, far stronger main plot than season one, and has some memorable one-off episodes as well. Definitely get on it.

That’s what I needed to hear

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

I was checking to see if SAC was on Netflix because I remember it differently than the thread (probably because I was watching it on adult swim in chunks) and there's a Ghost in the Shell SAC_2045? Anyone seen this before? A movie, a series? Any good?

BTW if you have a VPN it’s on Japanese Netflix with English subtitles

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Reik posted:

It has been a while since I've watched it, but of the two people bringing people in the world to fight for them, the same one that brought in Hitler brought in the current protagonists, right?

It's never stated, I think.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
i love how in the 2nd gig op, half the cast are doing extremely mundane things. like togusas just fuckin commuting

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Reik posted:

Oh I forgot about the isekai where the "good guys" bring in Hitler to rebuild the human empire so they can fight off Jesus's horde of monsters. Next season of Drifters when?

That's not actually how it goes, though now that I think about it you could argue that the the central racism country is secretly controlled by a jew if you wanted to look at as unfavorable as you can. The Jew in question of course being Jesus.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yeah, OK, but does it go anywhere? I watched the first season and skimmed through a few of the later novels, but it certainly didn't seem like it did.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Hitler was sent to the fantasy world as part of the "good guys" side but he never gave a rat's rear end about fighting Jesus Christ and His Monster Mash, instead getting angry about elves

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

yeah drifters owns

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Part of the problem is that the Drifters are just dropped into the other world with no explanation given and are left to fend for themselves whereas the goth loli who sends more midbosses to serve Jesus clearly does brief them beforehand

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
For what it's worth, it's awkward to bring up Reborn to Master the Blade for a variety of reasons (don't want to advertise here, definitely an example of video game mechanics, MC is an explicitly apolitical ubermensch) but it is tackling colonialism as a plot point, with the primary enemy faction thus far explicitly being a technologically-advanced country that started with arms-for-resources trades and is now attempting to roll out direct administration by its own officials as the price of the arms while also using "independent" traders as a front for slave-trading.

Definitely not specifically good politics with the MC ~apolitically~ signing up with the compradors and fighting the resistance nearly as much as she fights the colonialists, but that particular angle is getting addressed directly and with decent takes about the colonizing side.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

KomradeX posted:

I have not watched How a Realist Hero saved the Kingdom, but it looks to me like another isekai where the fantasy is reproducing Late Capitalism in a fantasy setting
they do a cover of "Give A Reason" (because the show is produced by king records) so who is to say whether it's good or bad?

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
I think the best GATE girl was Tuka Luna Marceau

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You might have not noticed it but the author of Drifters also wrote Hellsing, a manga about Dracula killing a division of schutzstaffel vampires.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

GITS is about Section 9 constantly about to be shut down but then never happening because military budgets never shrink.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Section 9 got shut down several times, it's just that most people working for it are mercenaries so they just go find another PMC to work for.

It's only Togusa who can't live outside of a Japanese bureaucracy and the Tachikomas because they are property get hosed over.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Red and Black posted:

BTW if you have a VPN it’s on Japanese Netflix with English subtitles

My VPN sub just experied last week because it was too tedious to turn on and off and my computer kept short circuiting with tmy work's VPN
:(

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

genericnick posted:

Yeah, OK, but does it go anywhere? I watched the first season and skimmed through a few of the later novels, but it certainly didn't seem like it did.

It does take a while, but the series leaves off on Ainz finally making their debut to the world, and he does it by doing magical Hiroshima and murdering 170,000 people. It's so horrible that his own allies start plotting ways to get rid of him.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I wonder if there's anything such as a double isekai, which is when a character from another world gets taken to another other world.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I wonder if there's anything such as a double isekai, which is when a character from another world gets taken to another other world.
corin nander going to the moon

turn-a gundam is a reverse-double isekai

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hello I am reporting back after watching one episode of SAC_2045.
Awful. Hilariously awful. There's drinking and driving, littering, Terrorist Al Bundy, Sustainability wars, "The Good 1%er", Money is worthless and also crypto has vanished but people are still doing crimes for digital money, there's $25 coins, and so much more.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah it wasn't as on point as some of the older stuff but like trump I'll keep drinking that garbage

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm definitely interested in seeing where it goes, even if I don't care for a lot of it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yes. I can't recall the name of it, but there was a series like that brought up in one of the isekai threads. I think he was a double isekai where the MC got isekai'd to one world, died at some point then got isekai'd into another or some such effect.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

doomrider7 posted:

Yes. I can't recall the name of it, but there was a series like that brought up in one of the isekai threads. I think he was a double isekai where the MC got isekai'd to one world, died at some point then got isekai'd into another or some such effect.

I read some manga about a guy who got reborn into a world, died, got reborn into a different world, was horrifically tortured for 20 years, and then got reborn into a third different world as a super powerful magical baby.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Gripweed posted:

I read some manga about a guy who got reborn into a world, died, got reborn into a different world, was horrifically tortured for 20 years, and then got reborn into a third different world as a super powerful magical baby.

:stare:

Well drat. Not sure if was that one, but still...drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

doomrider7 posted:

:stare:

Well drat. Not sure if was that one, but still...drat.

It was ridiculously grimdark, but kinda neat because the end result of all that suffering he went through was that he was really sympathetic to oppressed groups, and despite being a super powerful wizard he was still a baby and therefore dependent on the kindness of others