Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Bangin' theme song though.

The guy who was contracted to write it had writer's block until he got inspiration from Rick Hansen's Man In Motion world tour, Hansen being a Paralympic athlete who was wheelchairing through 30-plus countries and 40,000 km to raise funding for paralysis research and awareness for accessibility issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Because Nolan sucks.

I like Nolan's films for the most part. It just seemed like a weird decision and a strange direction to go in when he created such a compelling Gotham right out of the gate. My biggest gripe with Chris Nolan is his god damned sound mixing.

EDIT

Holy poo poo I didn't know Shumacher directed those Grisham movies. Agree that his Gotham was great.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Jul 21, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

My biggest gripe with Chris Nolan is his god damned sound mixing.

What, you don't enjoy having to crank the volume to 11 for every dialogue scene only to re-enact the Maxell cassette commercials the instant any action happens?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sagebrush posted:

I think Batman and Robin has a secret progressive message.

It makes a mockery of its superheroes, a family of billionaires who operate outside the law, by depicting them flaunting their credit cards and wearing molded rubber suits to pretend they have muscles.

Meanwhile it never really gives us a reason to dislike the "villains:" a woman who wants to plant more plants and a man who wants to cool down the planet.

Like, I'm not totally up on when various characterizations of Batman characters got locked down, but I know that since the animated series Mr. Freeze has universally been portrayed as a tragic antihero, and Poison Ivy genuinely doesn't seem to have a goal other than "more plants now" and she only hurts people tangentially. I stan them both

St. Elmo's Fire is extremely bad garbage and like half the characters in it are rapists.

Freeze and Ivy can both be very sympathetic in the comics too, depending on who's writing.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The Freeze episode of TAS was possibly the best one. "Heart of Ice"?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Imagined posted:

The Freeze episode of TAS was possibly the best one. "Heart of Ice"?

That episode actually completely revamped Freeze because before he was barely remembered and his thing was just that he was a diamond thief with an ice gimmick.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The way they handle Freeze in the Harley Quinn show is pretty drat funny.

Then again, the whole show is excellent.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Batman and Robin's main flaw is that it didn't lean into the realm of ridiculous camp nearly hard enough. It's still not a 'good' movie, but is legit enjoyable in the right frame of mind and infinitely more watchable than Forever which was ruined by a lot of things but first and foremost by Jim Carrey.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The climactic battle in Batman Forever makes total sense.

No I will not explain it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Carey and Jones were extremely weird choices, maybe moreso than Arnold as Mr. Freeze.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Jim Carrey kind of makes sense to me, especially with how popular he was in the 90s. Tommy Lee Jones was inexplicable thought.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Armacham posted:

Jim Carrey kind of makes sense to me, especially with how popular he was in the 90s. Tommy Lee Jones was inexplicable thought.

His choice for the character was probably inevitable given his popularity at the time, but his performance and the direction (or lack thereof) he was given was inexcusably wretched.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
According to Wikipedia, Jones was a tremendously huge dick to Carrey, too.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno why the guy who's typecast as playing a humorless dick in every film suddenly surprises everyone by being, gasp, a humorless dick.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Carey was great as the riddler what are y’all talking about

The costumes were so bad though

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The worst part about Tommy Lee Jones as Two Face is that the Burton movies had already set up a different actor who would have done a much better job

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
There was some great story about why Billy Dee Williams wasn't cast as Two-Face in Batman Forever, but damned if I can remember what it was.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

flavor.flv posted:

The worst part about Tommy Lee Jones as Two Face is that the Burton movies had already set up a different actor who would have done a much better job

Not the only black actor to get ejected from that movie either.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

For those wanting the WW2 aliens film, might wanna try Overlord. It's Nazi vampires, and it's pretty batshit. It's got US Agent before he got the job in the MCU.
Worldwar movie when??

Everyone wants a movie where oversized sentient geckos with 90's technology + spaceships fight the humans of the 1940's

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
War of the Worlds War 2.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MariusLecter posted:

War of the Worlds: War 2 Worlder

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

flavor.flv posted:

I was going to mention this. Billy Dee Williams was also well up for playing Two Face as well. But wasn't whitefamous enough.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Imagined posted:

According to Wikipedia, Jones was a tremendously huge dick to Carrey, too.

There's a clip of Jim Carey on some talk show where he mentions running into TLJ at a restaurant during filming. Tommy got red in the face and told him "I can not sanction your buffoonery!"
Incredible line

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

cohsae posted:

There's a clip of Jim Carey on some talk show where he mentions running into TLJ at a restaurant during filming. Tommy got red in the face and told him "I can not sanction your buffoonery!"
Incredible line

To be fair, Carrey whacked him with the riddler cane.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
The best part about Batman Forever is that Two Face's assistants-girlfriends know the identity of Batman and are left alive and free at the end of the movie and everyone forgets about it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The reason Tommy Lee Jones got the part in Batman is that the year before he'd been the villain in Blown Away, and like two years before that he was the villain in Under Siege. So he was seen as a guy who could do these Jokerish type villain roles(and he basically just said gently caress Two-Face I'm just gonna be the Joker and nobody stopped him).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm salty that we haven't gotten a Tintin sequel in 10 years because Mars Meets Mom killed the Mocap movie, Spielberg did Ready player One, and Peter Jackson hasn't done any tentpoles since the dreadful Hobbit movies.

The sticky-plaster gag belongs on the big-screen.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

flavor.flv posted:

At least he finally got to play Two-Face in the Lego Batman Movie.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s hilarious that Tommy Lee Jones said that to him when his performance in Forever was basically trying to match Carey in every scene.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm salty that we haven't gotten a Tintin sequel in 10 years because Mars Meets Mom killed the Mocap movie, Spielberg did Ready player One, and Peter Jackson hasn't done any tentpoles since the dreadful Hobbit movies.

The sticky-plaster gag belongs on the big-screen.

I love that movie and watch it every so often, the CG still looks incredible and it's such a fun flick. That tank scene is brilliant.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Not the only black actor to get ejected from that movie either.

For those not aware, the original choice for Robin back in the Burton days was:
Marlon Wayans.

And I guess something about his contract means he still got money for Batman Forever.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

DrBouvenstein posted:

For those not aware, the original choice for Robin back in the Burton days was:
Marlon Wayans.

And I guess something about his contract means he still got money for Batman Forever.

Huh, I watched Requiem for a Dream yesterday & now I could see him pulling it off if they went somewhat serious.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Huh, I watched Requiem for a Dream yesterday & now I could see him pulling it off if they went somewhat serious.

Yeah but it wasn't serious. It was maximum camp. So it would have been exactly like his role in the Dungeons & Dragons movie lmao.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Good thing I enjoyed the Dungeons & Dragons movie.

I want to watch that glorious disaster again.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jeremy Irons is a bit of a racist but drat if he doesn't pull through in every movie.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It’s hilarious that Tommy Lee Jones said that to him when his performance in Forever was basically trying to match Carey in every scene.

lol no wonder he was so mad at Carrey's buffoonery. He must have been exhausted by the end

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

Jeremy Irons is a bit of a racist but drat if he doesn't pull through in every movie.

Dead Ringers is a legendary performance. He should've won an Oscar for that one.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Batman trivia that i know off the top of my head : As it’s been said Marlon wayans was going to be Robin,around the time of Batman returns (or maybe even Batman 89) there were even storyboards of Robins introductory scene and they went as far as making wayans Robin action figures (which later got repainted into the animated series Robin toys).

If i remember correctly wayans might have even had a suit fitting at one point.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/Joe_Quinones/status/1412429605454204933?s=20

Apparently he got paid $100k not to appear and still gets residuals. Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Basebf555 posted:

Dead Ringers is a legendary performance. He should've won an Oscar for that one.

Strongly agree