Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

This has very big "Father, I cannot click the book" energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Philippe posted:

This has very big "Father, I cannot click the book" energy

Plus the stab at wokeness and gender fluidity.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

muscles like this! posted:

Early Achewood is a little strange compared to the rest because early on there was a whole thing about the characters being animals in the "real" world but eventually it just becomes its own thing where everyone is just different animals instead of people.

Some were animals, but some were stuffed toys. I've always wondered if that's why it's called Achewood. As in Hundred Acre Wood.

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs

rydiafan posted:

Breathed's been dancing along that line for a few years now, sadly.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf has a new favorite as of 05:38 on Jul 22, 2021

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

rydiafan posted:

I don't even know what the cartoonist is saying there - they're gender-fluid, but also not woke? Is this just more boomer word salad?

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Disco Pope posted:

I don't even know what the cartoonist is saying there - they're gender-fluid, but also not woke? Is this just more boomer word salad?

"We aren't kids anymore! We're unwoke, genderfluid, beta phase pre adults" implies becoming woke and deciding on a gender are now normal parts of growing up. The character saying this gets mauled by a tiger. It's a little ambiguous but not total nonsense.

I first read it somewhat sympathetically, he doesn't see Hobbes as a tiger because he doesn't see the world through naive eyes, because modern childhood has no room for that. So he throws away old fashioned imaginative play in favor of screens, and is punished with a mauling for it.

I see now it could be read in the exact opposite way, that character could represent the concepts of social progress, and be mauled for it, I think we'd have to read more if the comic to see what kind of character that is in general to really know what reading is intended.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Grab those kidneys first, though!

The crown's gotta be worth something.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The tiger will destroy the child for its insolence.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
It is a bit hard to read, but Bloom County has always been a left-leaning comic, so I definitely don't think he is trying to imply that being progressive is bad.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Come And See posted:

Some were animals, but some were stuffed toys. I've always wondered if that's why it's called Achewood. As in Hundred Acre Wood.

I cannot believe this is the first time I've ever read this bit of speculation and it feels extremely correct.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

e: I'd be extremely down if someone wanted to post C&H, the best comic ever made, but respect to whoever does it cuz that's a lotta comics

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

"We aren't kids anymore! We're unwoke, genderfluid, beta phase pre adults" implies becoming woke and deciding on a gender are now normal parts of growing up. The character saying this gets mauled by a tiger. It's a little ambiguous but not total nonsense.

I first read it somewhat sympathetically, he doesn't see Hobbes as a tiger because he doesn't see the world through naive eyes, because modern childhood has no room for that. So he throws away old fashioned imaginative play in favor of screens, and is punished with a mauling for it.

I see now it could be read in the exact opposite way, that character could represent the concepts of social progress, and be mauled for it, I think we'd have to read more if the comic to see what kind of character that is in general to really know what reading is intended.

Ah, okay! That tracks and and I'm glad! I'm so used to seeing "LGBTQIAWTFBBCITVLOL" jokes that my guard was up for a "these kids and their genders!" joke. Thanks for clarifying it!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Although it's the inferior C&H I'm also down with this

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hitmen for Destiny #30: Stomachs

=================

Hitmen for Destiny #31: Great exercise

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Lostclock's nose and Anette's boobs are affected by the gravity. Important detail.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

I like how in these early strips the characters are still finding their voices - Cornelius and Téodor are both pretty generic, Philippe is retarded (Onstad's words) instead of eternally five years old, the cats don't exist yet and take a bit to develop their personalities - but Lyle's "well maybe they should!" response feels every bit as Lyle as in later strips.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

garfield hentai posted:

BUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I just gotta say the Bloomfield/ Calvin and Hobbes crossover is exactly what I've always needed.

That owns so goddamn hard :3:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What a poo poo loss.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 13:37 on Jul 23, 2021

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Oh gently caress this is gonna make me cry isn't it

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's goatse.

E: Okay, I looked it up, and lmao, what a reveal!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

calvin pissing into the goatse man's rear end in a top hat

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Just Offscreen posted:

Oh gently caress this is gonna make me cry isn't it

not as much as the definitive Calvin grown-up retrospective

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Boobs can neither be created nor destroyed; they can only change hosts

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

i cry everytim

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

oh god its boris johnson

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Hoping this finally reveals that grown up Calvin is Frazz.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

This one is my favorite.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 06:50 on Jul 23, 2021

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 09:31 on Jul 23, 2021

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
concerned wah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003