Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

so is this just more bellingcat-style bullshit where they squint really hard at google maps and assume every building with a fence around it must be a prison camp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's so transparently bullshit because the claim they're making is that according to the architectural plans and math, it COULD have space for a million cells or whatever, but not that such cells exist, or even if they're populated.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

by casual glancing she was fulbright scholar (I can't recall if fulbright is a red flag) and she cut her teeth at New America Foundation which has some interesting donors: https://www.newamerica.org/our-funding/our-funders/
donors include: Ashton Kutcher (who I believe is extremely paranoid of China lol), Bill Gates, and at least two groups that are funding by Omidyar, our favorite Intercept and Bellingcat team player.
looks like she gets invited to lovely nat sec Think Tanks that we all know care SO much about muslims world-wide

it's just pretty interesting to see how someone can be "incubated" through all these networks of donors and foundations that prepare HARD-HITTING journalists that's drivel to propagate US imperial interests especially under the guise of liberalism and human rights. remember, this is the same buzzfeed team that hired the Occupy Wallstreet anarchist burlesque artist to draw images of the camps since they can't get any photos LOL

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's so transparently bullshit because the claim they're making is that according to the architectural plans and math, it COULD have space for a million cells or whatever, but not that such cells exist, or even if they're populated.

*lightbulb goes off* ghost prisons

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

heisenberg’s uighur: constantly incarcerated until the moment you actually observe him

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mila kunis posted:

*lightbulb goes off* ghost prisons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmC3ZhIHHi4

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Comrade Koba posted:

so is this just more bellingcat-style bullshit where they squint really hard at google maps and assume every building with a fence around it must be a prison camp?

I mean, I live in the most advanced prison state in all of human history, so clearly any threat to that must be worse. :patriot:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh ho well based on the fact that all the people who escaped* the murder camps** half a decade ago, they’re very overcrowded so we can only assume that so are the new facilities, which means upwards of three million Uyghurs are imprisoned

*were released
**prison school

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
you know you have a solid case for genocide when you're reduced to speculating about how much bad stuff a country could maybe hypothetically do

Grapplejack posted:

It's a little surprising they're doing this tbh, Britain only had two aircraft carriers in their entire navy iirc so it is a very significant part of their military force

not really, because as mentioned the drat things don't loving work

LimburgLimbo posted:

TBH this is one of those things where a few high-end aircraft could probably run all over superior numbers in the right circumstances (or, maybe do nothing at all), and while strategically it may not matter much, if something really dumb happens, losing ~30 aircraft to a few brits would probably be such a bloody nose to the powers that be in china from a domestic standpoint that it's a not unreasonable deterrent in the right circumstances.

Obviously this is approaching some Tom Clancy poo poo in the end, but a couple squads of modern aircraft is not *nothing* from a pressure standpoint.

even if we assume that this is true we must also remember that we're not talking about a high-end aircraft, we're talking the lemon that's the f-35

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, as I said, it isn't that the British carriers are technically useless but an extremely poor fit for what they are trying to do with them. If anything, they seem designed to support something like a Libya-type of operation...not actually fighting the PLA toe to toe (it isn't going to happen etc etc).

It feels like the Roman Empire just throwing random auxiliaries to the borders of Germania because they ran out of legions.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:31 on Jul 22, 2021

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

you know you have a solid case for genocide when you're reduced to speculating about how much bad stuff a country could maybe hypothetically do

not really, because as mentioned the drat things don't loving work

even if we assume that this is true we must also remember that we're not talking about a high-end aircraft, we're talking the lemon that's the f-35

Yeah the F-35 is rife with problems, could be that they get jump and out turned a close range etc, they could also very well wreck a few squads with beyond line of sight missiles (Brits are supposed to get Meteors but dunno if they've actually got them yet) with Chinese RADAR not even knowing where they are. I honestly think it's real hard for anyone with laypersons' info to make a reasonable determination. A lot of the negative news of F-35s focuses around cost overruns, maintenance issues, and some crashes which are probably combinations of maintenance/design stuff and pilot error or unfamiliarity. Just how combat effective it will be is still fairly up in the air and there's every chance despite being probably way over-priced it's very capable.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
If you want a hearty lol the other China threads on the site have decided that the Italian think tank is fake and that the scientists listed are literally made up people who don’t exist because their brains are soup.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yeah the F-35 is rife with problems, could be that they get jump and out turned a close range etc, they could also very well wreck a few squads with beyond line of sight missiles (Brits are supposed to get Meteors but dunno if they've actually got them yet) with Chinese RADAR not even knowing where they are. I honestly think it's real hard for anyone with laypersons' info to make a reasonable determination. A lot of the negative news of F-35s focuses around cost overruns, maintenance issues, and some crashes which are probably combinations of maintenance/design stuff and pilot error or unfamiliarity. Just how combat effective it will be is still fairly up in the air and there's every chance despite being probably way over-priced it's very capable.

If anything nowadays, up in the air at least, the odds are a lot more even at least if you talking about Russia/China v the US (in this case the UK but it is mostly US aircraft). The issue in particular is that the Elizabeth is flying F-35Bs (which is the vtol variant) which is going to have about 3/4th the range of a F-35A and most other comparable aircraft and that there are only 18 of them.

Also, if Russia can spot F-35s with l-band radar, so can China. Obviously, the issue would be targeting but the modern Chinese aircraft also have modern AESA radar is nearly as powerful as American fighter based radar. Also, Russian/Chinese aircraft both have their own domestic datalink capacities and the PLAAF has the PL-21 which is also comparable to the Meteor/R-37.

It isn't a situation like the Persian Gulf War where US aircraft are going to have a turkey shoot.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

LimburgLimbo posted:

china has actually proven fantastic long-range warplanes of their own with a massive numerical superiority, a fuckton of anti-ship missiles and submarines out the wazoo, if they wanted to that piddly lil' task force would be dead in minutes

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
like, even if we accept that inherent us exceptionalism means that those f-35s could shoot down a chinese squadron no sweat then all that would happen is that the chinese send out like five squadrons from different directions and after the f-35s have interecepted one of them those vaunted american superplanes come back to the smoking wreckage of their carrier and look real loving stupid

Cerebral Bore has issued a correction as of 09:56 on Jul 22, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Did Western media just get really bad at creating a bunch of wargames and technical specification coffee-table books about the PLA, or have I just been missing a lot of them?

Like, you could find out a lot about the Soviet Navy and Air Force just from playing Harpoon and reading Tom Clancy/Larry Bond, but setting aside "The Bear and the Dragon", where's all the Jane's Defense pieces on the PLAN missiles and carriers and aircraft?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
that kind of hardware fetishist is on the wane I think. and people try not to openly salivate over going to war in the south china sea. the dominant aesthetic finds all that kind of stuff vulgur

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Zedhe Khoja posted:

If you want a hearty lol the other China threads on the site have decided that the Italian think tank is fake and that the scientists listed are literally made up people who don’t exist because their brains are soup.

i lurk the China threads out of casual interest and I've seen several posters in that thread crow about how anyone who questions the State Dept narrative has been "torn to shreds" or "debated and destroyed" or something. But it's really just people who don't tow the line getting probed for some stupid amount of time and then not coming back because why bother engaging. The smugness about it is really weird.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

Did Western media just get really bad at creating a bunch of wargames and technical specification coffee-table books about the PLA, or have I just been missing a lot of them?

Like, you could find out a lot about the Soviet Navy and Air Force just from playing Harpoon and reading Tom Clancy/Larry Bond, but setting aside "The Bear and the Dragon", where's all the Jane's Defense pieces on the PLAN missiles and carriers and aircraft?

The new Cold War with China is embarrassing because they are theoretically suppose to be the United States' ally. Also there is a large Chinese market which makes it unattractive to produce products you know will be banned.

Also, I think part of it is the psychology of the era. In the 1980s, every effort was put in to make the USSR seem scary even through it was obviously starting to crumble and so the fear was if anything hollow and malleable. In contrast, the US has no proper plan to challenge China, so producing the threat is genuine, and that case, showcasing Chinese equipment is counterproductive.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
libs have a pathological need to be seen as the good guys and now that their team is back in charge the us must once again be the best of all possible hegemons

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
the last time the brits got involved in overseas dick waving that actually went hot they ate poo poo to a shore based, outdated attack aircraft with a big dumb missile strapped to the bottom.

Trying that poo poo against the PLA on their own turf is just lol.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
It has been 72 hours and that coward hasn't shown their face again. Tucked their tail and ran. Heh. Pretty lenient that they got a 2-week probe after that zero effort 7,000 word post.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zedhe Khoja posted:

that kind of hardware fetishist is on the wane I think. and people try not to openly salivate over going to war in the south china sea. the dominant aesthetic finds all that kind of stuff vulgur

Ardennes posted:

The new Cold War with China is embarrassing because they are theoretically suppose to be the United States' ally. Also there is a large Chinese market which makes it unattractive to produce products you know will be banned.

Also, I think part of it is the psychology of the era. In the 1980s, every effort was put in to make the USSR seem scary even through it was obviously starting to crumble and so the fear was if anything hollow and malleable. In contrast, the US has no proper plan to challenge China, so producing the threat is genuine, and that case, showcasing Chinese equipment is counterproductive.

This makes sense, thanks.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1418074601096159234?s=19

It's funny the Olympics are supposed to be big prestige events for the hosting country, but this one has just been cringe and plague.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Overbudget, behind schedule, underdelivered. Sad! I'll still watch that garbage.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Comrade Koba posted:

All the new buildings are prisons since China is the one country that notably only builds prisons. Makes perfect sense to me.

Edit: Wait, I'm reliably informed that I was thinking of another country.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You can't make China the new Soviet when the elites want to do business and make money in China.

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/government-economy/us-china-goods-trade-booms-as-if-virus-tariffs-never-happened

Also PRC only laser focus on Taiwan (much more so than SCS) when most Americans can't place Taiwan island on a map.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, as I said, it isn't that the British carriers are technically useless but an extremely poor fit for what they are trying to do with them. If anything, they seem designed to support something like a Libya-type of operation...not actually fighting the PLA toe to toe (it isn't going to happen etc etc).

It feels like the Roman Empire just throwing random auxiliaries to the borders of Germania because they ran out of legions.

What they're trying to do with them is wave them around like a giant metal dick. And the only capability they need for that is that they don't break down on their own in Chinese claimed waters so that the PLA has to tow them to safety.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The thing about the UK carriers is that, they already made huge commitments and built 2 of them. That's a lot of investment if you look at their post cold war naval history. So the Brits have to wave them around somewhat in peaceful water. It's not like they will send their carriers over when poo poo hit the fans in Taiwan, or SCS. Has Boris said anything about SCS, not that I can recall.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

What they're trying to do with them is wave them around like a giant metal dick. And the only capability they need for that is that they don't break down on their own in Chinese claimed waters so that the PLA has to tow them to safety.

I am talking in theoretical terms, but even then, it is a “odd shaped metal dick.”

Anyway, China cares more about the SCS than Taiwan simply because it is more strategic. In the end, the heart of China’s economic strategy is trade and most of its trade lanes transit through the SCS.Taiwan is not exactly unimportant but it still fairly small potatoes in terms of economic value.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thalweg posted:

i lurk the China threads out of casual interest and I've seen several posters in that thread crow about how anyone who questions the State Dept narrative has been "torn to shreds" or "debated and destroyed" or something. But it's really just people who don't tow the line getting probed for some stupid amount of time and then not coming back because why bother engaging. The smugness about it is really weird.

This. There is no debate at all its kinda hilarious the degree to which it's a total echo chamber.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

wtf did this dumb rear end say about the Holocaust

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

indigi posted:

wtf did this dumb rear end say about the Holocaust

It wasn't even recent but from like 1997.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Corky Romanovsky posted:

It wasn't even recent but from like 1997.

this is cancel culture run wild

(idc if some probably rich dude gets fired from a grift Olympic post but it is kind of silly that we’re “holding people accountable” for dumb poo poo they said a quarter century ago, just make him apologize and visit a Holocaust museum and keep it moving)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

china has actually proven fantastic long-range warplanes of their own with a massive numerical superiority, a fuckton of anti-ship missiles and submarines out the wazoo, if they wanted to that piddly lil' task force would be dead in minutes

Found this really funny quote.

quote:

https://news.usni.org/2021/01/27/u-s-admiral-china-can-keep-pouring-money-into-anti-ship-ballistic-missiles

Vice Adm. Jeffrey Trussler, the deputy chief of naval operations for information warfare (OPNAV N2/N6), said the Navy monitors China’s missile programs, including the DF-21D anti-ship ballistic missile – sometimes called the “carrier-killer.”

Trussler said he could not say whether China has “fully fielded” the DF-21D missile, but he emphasized that the Navy watches capabilities that could affect what it does at sea.

“I’m not going to get [into] much more detail of what we know and don’t know about it. But they’re pouring a lot of money in the ability to basically rim their coast in the South China Sea with anti-ship missile capability. It’s a destabilizing effort in the South China Sea, in the East China Sea, all those areas. When their claims of some of these contested islands – they’re militarizing those areas,” Trussler said at a virtual event hosted by the Intelligence and National Security Alliance.

“That’s something we’re going to watch very closely. It’s something that confuses the international order and concerns the allies in the region. It’s one reason we work to keep the global commons open and the free flow of traffic,” he continued. “But when you see that – those are troubling developments. They’re probably aimed and specifically developed towards the United States Navy. So we watch them very closely. I hope they just keep pouring money into that type of thing. That may not be how we win the next war.”

The Chinese are destabilizing the South China Sea by pointing missiles at our navy and we don't understand why. Anyway, the missiles aren't gonna work because America will win, so I love them pouring money into this fruitless boondoggle, actually.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Corky Romanovsky posted:

It has been 72 hours and that coward hasn't shown their face again. Tucked their tail and ran. Heh. Pretty lenient that they got a 2-week probe after that zero effort 7,000 word post.

I'm just surprised that people are still trying to trot out the whole 'adrian zenz and american puppetmasters controlling all western media making it up' argument when its been torn to shreds before in the thread.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

stephenthinkpad posted:

You can't make China the new Soviet when the elites want to do business and make money in China.

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/government-economy/us-china-goods-trade-booms-as-if-virus-tariffs-never-happened

Also PRC only laser focus on Taiwan (much more so than SCS) when most Americans can't place Taiwan island on a map.

At the same time American billionaires long to free their Chinese compatriots from under the cpc's yoke.

Class solidarity doesn't override their business interests but they feel gulty whenever jack ma gets black bagged

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Tsihanouskaya/status/1417964009891012614?s=20

Learning from Albright? lol that makes the call for sanctions even more sinister
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYagQuqK31s

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mila kunis posted:

I'm just surprised that people are still trying to trot out the whole 'adrian zenz and american puppetmasters controlling all western media making it up' argument when its been torn to shreds before in the thread.

Do better at evaluating sources before you post genocide-denial-adjacent nonsense from sources that might not even actually exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if they actually wanted to critique the Italian study, Tom Fowdy is one of the credits

but that would require actually acknowledging the study exists