Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

14.7 is out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ThermoPhysical posted:

After experiencing 85 hours of no power this past week due to a storm, I'm thinking of getting the official MagSafe Battery Pack. Not sure if anyone else will be doing so so I'll do a trip report if anyone is interested?

As for other MagSafe chat, the official Silicone Case is really nice for it but so is the Spigen case that's supposed to be for MagSafe. I haven't tried it on the Caudabe cases but I assume it'd work ok. It's pretty tight on the Silicone case though, the Spigen case is about the same.

I’m going to get the Anker one at some point, I think. Probably when I have some kind of job or task that lasts longer than my battery I guess. Seems slightly better for half the price.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you are worried about dealing with a power outage, just buy a stupidly big Anker battery for half what the Apple one costs, and get five charges out of it instead of one.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still want to get one of their big rear end power banks for hurricane prep.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

Is there a good magsafe phone charger/holder that is one you mount to the dash NOT a vent holder?

get a magnetic dash mount. the mag safe charger puck will magnetise to that, then you can magsafe to the charger. the weight might be too much for the adhesive pad though.

ThermoPhysical posted:

After experiencing 85 hours of no power this past week due to a storm, I'm thinking of getting the official MagSafe Battery Pack. Not sure if anyone else will be doing so so I'll do a trip report if anyone is interested?

As for other MagSafe chat, the official Silicone Case is really nice for it but so is the Spigen case that's supposed to be for MagSafe. I haven't tried it on the Caudabe cases but I assume it'd work ok. It's pretty tight on the Silicone case though, the Spigen case is about the same.

Buy a 20k mAh power bank from any decent on-Amazon brand and charge via cable. I get like 4 full iphone 12 charges out of mine.

lmao at buying the magsafe battery pack to get through 3 days of no power. youd get 1 recharge and it would be dead lmao.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

EL BROMANCE posted:

I still want to get one of their big rear end power banks for hurricane prep.

Jackery seems to be a preferred brand in that realm. I want a 1500 plus panels for reasons but that's a large amount of dough still for something I'd use about once a year. It needs more DC outlets too.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I just want a phone that I can charge with one of the 500 usb cords and charging bricks I’ve already got but that’s a dying reality

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
My lightning port is blocked. My charging case works and data works intermittently with it but a cable put directly into the port won't seat properly. Google suggests using a new toothbrush but no luck so far.

Anyone have experience or advice on this?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

My lightning port is blocked. My charging case works and data works intermittently with it but a cable put directly into the port won't seat properly. Google suggests using a new toothbrush but no luck so far.

Anyone have experience or advice on this?

a wooden toothpick, and really dig it in to the corners then sweep towards the centre of the port.

you would not believe the amount of poo poo you can get stuck in there while also being able to plug the cable in all the way.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Charles posted:

Jackery seems to be a preferred brand in that realm. I want a 1500 plus panels for reasons but that's a large amount of dough still for something I'd use about once a year. It needs more DC outlets too.

Only because every youtuber with a vague link to camping or prepping has done glowing sponsored reviews the past nine months. Not to claim it's a bad product, Jackery is really good, but certainly not the only quality option out there. If one is headed down that road, Maxoak and GoalZero are worth comparing against.

Definitely only worth it if you're regularly off the grid though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for all the brand recs. Definitely falls into the ‘hope I never need to actually use’ territory although I have lost power in a hurricane before. Luckily I evac’d out of state and it was back when I returned.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

Is there a good magsafe phone charger/holder that is one you mount to the dash NOT a vent holder?
Most/all of the ball joint stuff uses the same size stuff so you can interchange parts, so if you have or know a dash one with that you could keep using it. I just used my old CD slot part and swapped in the new phone side part.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

My FaceID is intermittently not working. It seems like it will work/not work in large blocks of time. Over the last three days, it mostly didn't work on days 1 and 3 and mostly worked on day 2 :confused:

I assume this small scratch is to blame. Or could it be something else? It looks much worse than it actually is. It won't even catch your finger nail.

As a side note, I think the 12 Pro has scratched more easily than every other iPhone I've had.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

My FaceID is intermittently not working. It seems like it will work/not work in large blocks of time. Over the last three days, it mostly didn't work on days 1 and 3 and mostly worked on day 2 :confused:

I assume this small scratch is to blame. Or could it be something else? It looks much worse than it actually is. It won't even catch your finger nail.

As a side note, I think the 12 Pro has scratched more easily than every other iPhone I've had.

That's where a lot of the FaceID tech is stored, so I'd imagine so.

I'd try your luck at an Apple Store though, there's a chance they'll be generous and replace the phone for you as FaceID is supposed to work. YMMV though since it's probably not working because of the scratch.

--

I have a question of my own. Anker announced this charging station thing not too long ago.

What I like about it is the form itself. It being detachable and essentially converting into a portable wireless charger, the Watch charger being USB-C and popping off, letting you plug it into anything and charging your Watch that way -- all cool things. However, none that I necessarily need. Does anyone know of a charger with a small footprint like this for only AirPods and an iPhone? My whole goal here is get as small as possible. If Anker sold one of these used with a missing Watch attachment, I'd just be buying that.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
So this started popping up on my AT&T iPhone 12 Pro with iOS 15 this morning. That really sucks.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sounds like you need a new carrier.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is private relay active now? How does it compare to just having NordVPN on permanently?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
If that isn't some sort of bug that's pretty terrible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is private relay active now? How does it compare to just having NordVPN on permanently?

It doesn't geoblock, it obfuscates where you are but they can still detect your "region" so it's not great for getting around content blockers.

Some VPN clients won't work with it's on either, but most people seem to think it's a bug rather than by design. For example, the client thinks you already have VPN enabled so it refuses to run.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I thought iOS could only run one VPN at a time anyway!

I never really tracked speed or battery life while running NordVPN but always had it in my head that it would be a drain on both. Would love to see some comparison metrics when iOS 15 is fully out!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Disappointing Pie posted:

So this started popping up on my AT&T iPhone 12 Pro with iOS 15 this morning. That really sucks.

I wouldn't start worrying until iOS 15 actually drops. ATT may just not have things turned on yet on their end.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

I wouldn't start worrying until iOS 15 actually drops. ATT may just not have things turned on yet on their end.
I’m on FirstNet which is AT&T and it is working fine FWIW

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Long time readers may recall I've long complained about Optimised Battery Charging not working, and just failing to activate for reasons that cannot be troubleshot. Now, almost an entire year later, it's started activating again (still with no obvious change to my settings, device or lifestyle). Hooray!

Except, it's still not working. Here's what happens. I go to bed. I put the phone on to charge. Later I glance over at it and observe that the battery has hit 80% and a notification duly says "Scheduled to finish charging by 07:30" (which is the wrong time, I wake up much later, but whatever, I'm just happy it's activating at all). Later, I wake up, and see that the battery has continued to hold at 80% the whole time. Also, the phone is fairly hot when I pick it up; normally it gets hot while charging but is normal when it's done charging even when connected to power. I don't know what to make of this observation.

Any ideas occur to anyone, or is this just my life now?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Fedule posted:

Long time readers may recall I've long complained about Optimised Battery Charging not working, and just failing to activate for reasons that cannot be troubleshot. Now, almost an entire year later, it's started activating again (still with no obvious change to my settings, device or lifestyle). Hooray!

Except, it's still not working. Here's what happens. I go to bed. I put the phone on to charge. Later I glance over at it and observe that the battery has hit 80% and a notification duly says "Scheduled to finish charging by 07:30" (which is the wrong time, I wake up much later, but whatever, I'm just happy it's activating at all). Later, I wake up, and see that the battery has continued to hold at 80% the whole time. Also, the phone is fairly hot when I pick it up; normally it gets hot while charging but is normal when it's done charging even when connected to power. I don't know what to make of this observation.

FWIW mine says 6:30am all the time and I get up at like 8:30-9, I think they just add in a healthy buffer to make sure.

Can’t help you on the rest of it, sorry. :/

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

For anyone else thinking of buying this, mine came from FedEx today.

The little vertical magnet below the ring does not hold it in place very well, at all. It doesn't take much of a nudge to knock it off that magnet and then it wants to spin about the ring. Doesn't matter if you're using an official case or no case at all, it just wobbles all over the place.

Between how thick it is and how easily it will slip off the magnet, I'm sending it back.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Unlike a VPN, private relay only works in Safari, not any apps. Try going to whatismyip.com from Safari and Chrome/Firefox and see the difference.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Disappointing Pie posted:

The quotes around AT&T make me think it's naming your SIM card as not compatible, not AT&T as a whole. It's still a beta so...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

The little vertical magnet below the ring does not hold it in place very well, at all. It doesn't take much of a nudge to knock it off that magnet and then it wants to spin about the ring. Doesn't matter if you're using an official case or no case at all, it just wobbles all over the place.

Between how thick it is and how easily it will slip off the magnet, I'm sending it back.

That sounds annoying. I haven't bought mine yet though.

I wonder why it wasn't like the normal MagSafe charger which is just the ring itself and it sticks pretty good to it. I don't think that line actually does much of anything regardless.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Charles posted:

The quotes around AT&T make me think it's naming your SIM card as not compatible, not AT&T as a whole. It's still a beta so...

Here’s hoping! I know carriers have pulled some right bullshit in the past with new features on these phones.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Anyone have good recommendations for ad blockers for iOS? Bonus points if it can block ads/etc system-wide (ex. in the brower view for Awful or other apps, particularly the YouTube app).

Quackles fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 22, 2021

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

xzzy posted:

It doesn't geoblock, it obfuscates where you are but they can still detect your "region" so it's not great for getting around content blockers.

also won't help with region blocking, but it lets you pick between a general location of where you are, or simply country / time zone, which is nice.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Fedule posted:

Optimized charging works great on my MBA but for some reason, I have never gotten it to work on my iPhone. I've had the feature turned on since it came out.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

kitten smoothie posted:

That's really stupid.

I think MagSafe is a great idea in theory, you could have different devices with different strengths of magnets, but they seem to really have whiffed.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

kitten smoothie posted:

Are you putting the battery right on the phone or do you have a case on it? What type of case if you are using one?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Hey guys, I have a question (and I apologize if its’s already been asked). I just got a 12 and on the front where the ear speaker and the front camera is it’s on like, black tab, and when I watch some videos or play some games, it extends all the way to the top of the screen, and that little black tab dips down into the viewing area. Is there anyway to adjust the screen so that isn’t a thing?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

No

I imagine this is your first smart phone in the last 3 years or so? It's known as The Notch and iPhones a lot of Android phones have that now. Most app developers design around it these days. Video playback can be annoying at first, but it honestly fades into the background after a while.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 23, 2021

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I don’t think the iPhone’s aspect ratio post-home button is 16:9, so you can probably double tap the video as you’re watching to display “correctly” since whatever you’re watching is *probably* 16:9 and being stretched to the full the screen horizontally.

The games though, you’re probably out of luck.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You can watch videos either with black bands on both sides, or you can double tap and it will zoom in and use all the available pixels, but the notch will intrude and you'll lose the corners outside the radius.

Apps can't be adjusted and it's whatever the developers decide is how they want it to be displayed.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
you will Get Used To The Notch

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Is there any way to tell if an in-app purchase is family shareable or not? I feel like this should be easier/more visible but possible I am just an idiot :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Proteus Jones posted:

No

I imagine this is your first smart phone in the last 3 years or so? It's known as The Notch and iPhones a lot of Android phones have that now. Most app developers design around it these days. Video playback can be annoying at first, but it honestly fades into the background after a while.

LODGE NORTH posted:

I don’t think the iPhone’s aspect ratio post-home button is 16:9, so you can probably double tap the video as you’re watching to display “correctly” since whatever you’re watching is *probably* 16:9 and being stretched to the full the screen horizontally.

The games though, you’re probably out of luck.

Hey thanks for the response guys! I figured that was the case. And yeah my last iPhone was a 7S lol, so this thing is a pretty huge jump for me