Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Windows doesn't really play nice with others, but that's a general PC issue. You could partition the 512GB version and dual boot but I'd recommend against it. It's just annoying to maintain and Windows still does inane poo poo like setting the device clock to local time in TYOOL 2021 and fixing Windows to work like an OS from this millenium requires the use of an unsupported registry entry.

What you could probably do is install Windows on internal storage, then SteamOS to sd-card, then gently caress with the firmware to have it load first from the sd-card. That way you only have to fix the Windows time issue.

It's probably easier to just not gently caress with the thing and take it for what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Is there an official source that says you can install Windows on the thing though? I'm sure it will happen, but it'd be nice if the bootloader and BIOS just let you out of the box vs some hacky setup.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Boot from USB C would be cool. If it's USB 3.2, there's a lot of available bandwidth.

Wonder what the internal storage will be formatted as out of the box. Probably a native Linux filesystem. Pity that Windows can't read most of them since it'd be cool if we could boot from Windows over USB and run games installed on the internal storage without wiping the native SteamOS install.

Even if that's not possible, being able to attach an SSD over the USB C port and boot from it would rock.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

Is there an official source that says you can install Windows on the thing though? I'm sure it will happen, but it'd be nice if the bootloader and BIOS just let you out of the box vs some hacky setup.

Gabe said you could in the interview on announcement day.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah the fact you could nuke the OS for windows was one of the first things brought up, it’s definitely seen as a selling point.

Probably the correct decision unless you just really like Linux

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Heran Bago posted:

The announcement itself? :confused:

It's all over everything talking about the device, the store page, Gabe himself, interviews about it, the coverage, twitter. It's super prominent, so much so that I'm weirded out someone would miss it if they know what "Steam Deck" is.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I do wonder what proportion of people will end up installing Windows on this thing, after they first hit a wall with Proton compatability and need to become a Linux janitor to work around it.

Valve really really wants Linux to be a thing but good luck getting the average Joe to care about your vendetta against Microsoft when they just want their gaems to work.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

repiv posted:

I do wonder what proportion of people will end up installing Windows on this thing, after they first hit a wall with Proton compatability and need to become a Linux janitor to work around it.

Valve really really wants Linux to be a thing but good luck getting the average Joe to care about your vendetta against Microsoft when they just want their gaems to work.

Good luck getting the average Joe to install windows on a handheld. That street goes both ways in knowledge and laziness.
I myself will have to hit probably a couple walls before I sigh and draw my katana SD card.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

KakerMix posted:

The announcement itself? :confused:

It's all over everything talking about the device, the store page, Gabe himself, interviews about it, the coverage, twitter. It's super prominent, so much so that I'm weirded out someone would miss it if they know what "Steam Deck" is.

There are a ton of people online and in this thread that think the Deck is a locked down system like the Switch (the closest reference point) instead of the Deck just being a laptop with a custom internals and form factor.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Good luck getting the average Joe to install windows on a handheld. That street goes both ways in knowledge and laziness.

A non-technical user wouldn't intuitively know what to do, but with a YouTube video guide I think just about anyone could manage.

The key difference is it's a one-time inconvenience that brings game compatibility up to 100%, rather than the random assortment of tweaks and workarounds required for different Proton games on an ongoing basis.

repiv fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 22, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with in the end. By positioning it as a switch competitor they've, intentionally or not, created the expectation that it will 'Just Work' like a console does, whereas anyone who's spent a significant amount of time gaming on a PC knows that fiddling and troubleshooting are just facts of life for the platform. Hell, even if they can get proton working seamlessly I can imagine a decent number of people upset / disappointed with all the aspects beyond that that might get in the way of it being a turn-key experience.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm curious as to whether we'll get the Proton interface on Windows, or if we'd be stuck with Big Picture. Which is useable, but pretty clunky by this point.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I have very little interest in installing Windows on this thing. If Proton ends up being a mess I probably just won't buy a Deck at all. The older I get the less patience I have for troubleshooting and configuring poo poo

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Imagine pulling out your N-Gabe to show off, only to be greeted by the Windows Update screen.

No thanks.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm curious as to whether we'll get the Proton interface on Windows, or if we'd be stuck with Big Picture. Which is useable, but pretty clunky by this point.

Valve said Big Picture is being replaced by the Deck interface, eventually

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

repiv posted:

A non-technical user wouldn't intuitively know what to do, but with a YouTube video guide I think just about anyone could manage.

Even better if it's a video on how to install Windows to a USB C external drive.

I used the Switch a lot with an external powerbank over UBC C. Most of my hours in MH Rise were with a powerbank or a PD charger cable whilst in bed. It's totally playable with a single, long cable.

All the Deck would need is a USB C switch/hub with a long cable out so all of the components can be far from you while you play. USB PD into the hub can power both the Deck and an external SSD.

Wonder what the default charger is for the Deck. I doubt it's over 60W/3A given the low power components in it. Probably closer to 30W.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with in the end. By positioning it as a switch competitor they've, intentionally or not, created the expectation that it will 'Just Work' like a console does, whereas anyone who's spent a significant amount of time gaming on a PC knows that fiddling and troubleshooting are just facts of life for the platform. Hell, even if they can get proton working seamlessly I can imagine a decent number of people upset / disappointed with all the aspects beyond that that might get in the way of it being a turn-key experience.

I've been perusing ProtonDB a bunch and I just can't see casual users getting along with this level of jank, unless Valve pulls off a miracle with the private branch they're sitting on.

I think one thing that's been overlooked is how games run at launch, when there's the biggest rush of players. Scroll all the way to the oldest reports and see how messy things can get.

Doom Eternal is a Platinum rated game now but if you were hype to play it on release day? welp unlucky lol, wait an indeterminate amount of time to play the game you paid for

repiv fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 22, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

repiv posted:

Valve said Big Picture is being replaced by the Deck interface, eventually

Oh thank god.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
My only concern with swapping out steam os for windows would be that presumably the OS works well with the built in controls while Windows wouldn’t be designed around it. Hopefully when they update big picture mode they also add a checkbox for “make my controller operate desktop as good as Steam OS does”

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Gutcruncher posted:

My only concern with swapping out steam os for windows would be that presumably the OS works well with the built in controls while Windows wouldn’t be designed around it. Hopefully when they update big picture mode they also add a checkbox for “make my controller operate desktop as good as Steam OS does”

As long as the touchpads work it should be tolerable, but windows ain't about to be designed for navigating with sticks and buttons.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
All I care about is playing mid-spec indie games and older games portably with better framerates than the Switch. I guess a big issue though is that the older the game, the less likely it'll be Linux compatible or updated at all to play nice with the Deck.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

v1ld posted:

Wonder what the default charger is for the Deck. I doubt it's over 60W/3A given the low power components in it. Probably closer to 30W.

Pretty sure it’s 45 W.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

As long as the touchpads work it should be tolerable, but windows ain't about to be designed for navigating with sticks and buttons.
With Steam Input actually you can set up a desktop input profile that runs when you aren't playing a game, for navigating Windows with a gamepad, it works really well. Its especially good with the Steam Controller touchpads though

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

homeless snail posted:

With Steam Input actually you can set up a desktop input profile that runs when you aren't playing a game, for navigating Windows with a gamepad, it works really well. Its especially good with the Steam Controller touchpads though

Well now, how have I never heard of this? It looks perfect for my tvpc.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't know, it seems like nearly noone that didn't have a Steam Controller has ever messed with the controller binding stuff

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

Just straight suspending isn't really hard and I've done it to games before to stop them from wasting CPU time. It's just a signal after all (SIGSTOP). Some games may freak out because of the sudden time jump but that can be solved by simply putting them in their own time namespace, though the game would then never catch up in time.

And if you control the hardware you can of course make standard suspend to RAM work. It usually works ootb anyway.

It occurs to me that since every game gets installed in its own separate Proton instance, they could run the game in its own cgroup, fake a Windows hibernation, and then suspend the cgroup.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So my biggest concern with the Steam Deck is that, in my experience with the Steam Controller, when you're using the touch pads to emulate the mouse (which is loving incredible) the game thinks you're using keyboard and mouse controls. Fine, but you lose the granular movement of the joysticks because a Llot of games don't accept inputs from a controller or mouse and keyboard at the same time. The only way I found a way around this was to either just emulate WASD onto the stick (which is bad) or I use the touch pads to "emulate" a control stick but that never ever felt as good as straight up mouse input.

Can someone tech savvy tell me if this could be addressed on the OS level? Because it just seems like an issue with games rather than the inputs.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They've been pushing hard in all their dev materials for a good couple years, that games should allow you to use mouse and joystick simultaneously, and I have been seeing that be less and less of a problem lately. Especially in any game that has native steam input support. Totally depends on the game though, there's not much they can do about it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m surprised this video hasn’t been posted yet.

https://youtu.be/e3HnDR7A8yE

A new video from ign and valve

Big quote

“We haven’t found anything that this device couldn’t handle”

“Everything coming out this year has been running without issue. “

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 23, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yet another confirmation that the SSD is a separate module and they did that for repairability.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

They mention "force sensitive" touchpads as a new feature. The touchpads are lower latency than on the Steam Controller too.

The capacitative joystick being used to enable the gyro is a cool feature - they show it off a few times with the same video of the gyro not kicking in until the person touches, but doesn't move the right joystick.

Cool video.

E: They haven't mentioned d-pad within the touchpads yet, so I'm losing hope for that feature. This would've been the video to mention it in. May also be at cross purposes with a force-sensitive touchpad.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok one more video.

This guy reviews all the PC handhelds and he gives 8 things about the deck that people might not know.

https://youtu.be/tuVtM-MYRro

I honestly had no idea about the etched glass nor needing a special cloth to clean it. Also his number 1 is just what everyone was talking about when it comes to sleep mode. There’s already a big list of stuff that works or doesn’t work with sleep mode.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

homeless snail posted:

They've been pushing hard in all their dev materials for a good couple years, that games should allow you to use mouse and joystick simultaneously, and I have been seeing that be less and less of a problem lately. Especially in any game that has native steam input support. Totally depends on the game though, there's not much they can do about it.

The most recent one I remember was Shadow of the Tomb Raider (I might be wrong about this), but the game didn't like you doing two inputs methods at once. Maybe it was Horizon: Zero Dawn.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok I lied

Digital Foundry did another longer video about the deck and they make some really good points.

https://youtu.be/4Dd_bazOYOY

John talks about ergonomics and he makes a really good point about the grips and button placement being really comfortable.

I know that I had to get a grip attachment and hori split pad pro to get my switch to be comfortable for me to play for extended periods.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The wiiu gamepad was the most ergonomic controller. Also long as it's not too heavy I suspect this thing will be hella comfy, though the buttons spilling over the edge isn't something I think I can be fully convinced of until I get my hands on one.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Ok I lied

Digital Foundry did another longer video about the deck and they make some really good points.

https://youtu.be/4Dd_bazOYOY

John talks about ergonomics and he makes a really good point about the grips and button placement being really comfortable.

I know that I had to get a grip attachment and hori split pad pro to get my switch to be comfortable for me to play for extended periods.

Lol @ Alex not being interesting in gaming on it but being excited at doing optimized settings for games on it. Happy lol, that being.

I had to get a controller-like joycons replacement too. This thing looks comfy out of the gate. Plus the extra two buttons - I've grown to like having 2 grip buttons on the XBox Elite 2.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It is quite big though, isn't it

It'll probably be nice for kicking back and relaxing in a recliner, for car rides, that kind of thing. Doesn't seem like something you can easily carry with you as you're out and about, though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Doesn't seem like something you can easily carry with you as you're out and about, though.

Neither is the Switch, really

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It is quite big though, isn't it

It'll probably be nice for kicking back and relaxing in a recliner, for car rides, that kind of thing. Doesn't seem like something you can easily carry with you as you're out and about, though.
Well, someone on reddit showed that it’s like the same size as a Switch with the third-party big grips:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/...f&utm_term=link

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Well, someone on reddit showed that it’s like the same size as a Switch with the third-party big grips:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/...f&utm_term=link

Yeah those are the grips I have and it does make the switch so much more comfortable and the size in my opinion isn’t much of an issue.