Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions for an accurate room temperature sensor / thermometer? I have a few cheap Govee sensors around, and the variance for each one is stupidly high even when right net to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

Once when I was in South Carolina I got a bag of deep fried peanuts at a convenience store. I want more, but I’m not sure where to find them. They were in the shell and salted and (maybe roasted first) but definitely fried, and you could eat the shell too.

Anyone know where I can find these?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

devilmonk posted:

Once when I was in South Carolina I got a bag of deep fried peanuts at a convenience store. I want more, but I’m not sure where to find them. They were in the shell and salted and (maybe roasted first) but definitely fried, and you could eat the shell too.

Anyone know where I can find these?

My flippant answer is "the south", my bit of googling answer is here although they are currently sold out.

Interesting though I managed to not see deep fried peanuts in my time in the south at various gas stations, but a hell of a lot of boiled peanuts.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Lived here all my life and I've never heard of/seen this before. Though it doesn't surprise me South Carolina would have a hand in it. They're the Mississippi of the Eastern Seaboard.

Related note: If anyone knows of a knockoff PB crisps that is readily available I would be insanely interested in hearing of it.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I was just in Mexico and tried Japanese style peanuts for the first time and they are crunchy and amazing. Highly recommend those.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I was just in Mexico and tried Japanese style peanuts for the first time and they are crunchy and amazing. Highly recommend those.

I love those except the type with a very tough shell. I'll still eat pounds of them but it hurts!

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Note: You want Nishikawa brand. All others are too sweet. Go old school! I've been addicted to them for over 3 decades.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

tangy yet delightful posted:

My flippant answer is "the south", my bit of googling answer is here although they are currently sold out.

Interesting though I managed to not see deep fried peanuts in my time in the south at various gas stations, but a hell of a lot of boiled peanuts.

Thanks! Yes that link has exactly was I am looking for. Shame they are sold out. If you enjoy salt bombs and peanuts I highly recommend giving them a try if you ever see them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well, I cleaned up my current fridge, opened up the back, vacuumed it out and cleaned every accessible spot, all that jazz, and while I wait for it to possibly return to normal, I might as well as for recommendations for a replacement if it has truly kicked the bucket. It's a 2002 model according to the sticker inside it so it's old anyways, I'd prefer to not buy a new fridge while prices are sky high but I'll have to if this one's toast. So any recommendations for a freezer-on-top/fridge-underneath style fridge would be much appreciated. So long as it can fit through a normal doorway, dimensions aren't a huge issue since I can modify the area it's in accordingly, but I need to be able to get it there to begin with so it's gotta be able to fit through a typical doorway's dimensions, it can be a bit taller but can't be wider than like 32ish inches.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It's pretty late to be buying a Father's Day gift, but apparently my dad is interested in some sort of pet camera so he can see the cat when he and my mom go out of town. Any recommendations?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Whichever home security camera option of choice. Ring. Google. Eufy. are the big ones.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I really like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DGR98VQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Super simple installation and the app is fantastic compared to the crappy ones I've used in the past. It's also damned cheap for how nice it is. My only complaint is that the range of up/down panning is fairly limited but you can mostly solve that by how/where you mount it. For something a little more discrete they also make stationary cameras with a pretty good field of view.

It's easy to add multiple cameras to the app as well, even across multiple accounts. I have a couple cameras at home and a couple at work that I can access with the same app login rather than having to log out/in for each set.

Inspector 34 has a new favorite as of 00:36 on Jun 19, 2021

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I’m looking for a knock off GoPro to use as an adventure camera on hikes and beach days. It’s be nice if I could have it do double duty as a dash cam. Best options?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Six years ago I fished a 500 Series Roomba out of my neighbor's trash and refurbished it. Today I think she's breathed her last, or at least finally has an issue that I cannot repair or replace myself (dust inside of the cliff sensors that I can't remove). Anyone want to recommend a robot vacuum for hardwood floors used by two adults and a little dog?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

C-Euro posted:

Six years ago I fished a 500 Series Roomba out of my neighbor's trash and refurbished it. Today I think she's breathed her last, or at least finally has an issue that I cannot repair or replace myself (dust inside of the cliff sensors that I can't remove). Anyone want to recommend a robot vacuum for hardwood floors used by two adults and a little dog?

My Roborock S4 Max does a pretty decent job. We have hardwood floors and 2 cats.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Roomba 980

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Roborock S7 probably the latest and greatest with the vibrating mop it has.

https://www.amazon.com/Roborock-Mopping-Suction-Multi-Level-Mapping/dp/B08VHXZZ22

There is a white version as well, but it's currently sold out.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Looking for best options for a 29" stove in the $1000-1100 range.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I am tired of trying to get my wallet, chapstick, keys, phone, and pocket knife in my pockets. Let alone a mask/anything my kids may need. I have a backpack, but am looking for something smaller. Any advice/ recommendations for something that a not cool 40 year old dad could wear? I am leaning Fanny pack , but not sure I am ready to be 80s dad around the waist, but not cool enough to wear across the chest like a rapper?

Any other not cool dads?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Snowmankilla posted:

I am leaning Fanny pack , but not sure I am ready to be 80s dad around the waist, but not cool enough to wear across the chest like a rapper?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Snowmankilla posted:

I am tired of trying to get my wallet, chapstick, keys, phone, and pocket knife in my pockets. Let alone a mask/anything my kids may need. I have a backpack, but am looking for something smaller. Any advice/ recommendations for something that a not cool 40 year old dad could wear? I am leaning Fanny pack , but not sure I am ready to be 80s dad around the waist, but not cool enough to wear across the chest like a rapper?

Any other not cool dads?

I got you fam. https://www.peakdesign.com/products/everyday-sling?variant=29742302068780

The 3L is better for EDC “don’t call it a purse” type stuff. I have the 6L and it carries my camera and a few necessities just fine. They also have a new bag that’s more purpose build for carrying random crap, but I’m not fond of the look.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Snowmankilla posted:

Any other not cool dads?

Buy Patagonia. It will last forever, they will fix it if you gently caress it up, and it’s one of the most responsible companies out there.

https://www.patagonia.com/shop/luggage-messenger-bags

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Snowmankilla posted:

Any other not cool dads?

If Duluth Trading is still making their Five Pocket pants I highly recommend them. I bought a pair of the slim fit regular jeans kind and then two additional pairs because the pockets are awesome, including the little vestigial one that's usually useless.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Hell yeah. Thanks for the advice. Maybe the wear on my back/sling bag is the way to go.

And I’ll check out the pants!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Can’t recommend Peak Design’s stuff enough in general. Excellent build quality and well thought out.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Or chrome if you don’t want to look like you’re having a midlife crisis and suppressing it with a renewed interest swooping REI for a rousing hike at the local paved mountain trail parking lot

https://www.chromeindustries.com/bags/sling-bags/?start=0&sz=36#tile-0

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
The fashion midpoint between fanny pack dad and actual bike messenger is Tom Bihn https://www.tombihn.com/. Their stuff is basically meant to be as functional and comfortable as possible, but getting exactly what you want from them might require some accessories and it can get costly. It also looks really dorky in my opinion but I find myself not caring so much about that when I'm on a flight or whatever.

Here's a large fanny pack they have that might be exactly what you want for your dadhood, appropriately called Le Grand Derriere

Waterfield is also worth mentioning in that area https://www.sfbags.com/ but in my experience it seems like you pay a premium for leather or waxed canvas and although it looks nice and professional it can be significantly less comfortable day to day.

My personal favorite is Mixed Works, which I basically never see mentioned but they do a fantastic job of having high function details along with quality materials and construction without having a bunch of superfluous aesthetic nonsense http://mixedworks.com/. Check out all the pictures for whatever you're interested so you can see those design details, if you're interested.

I have tried a decent number of Chrome bags and my issue with them as someone who isn't an actual bike messenger is that the velcro they use is very very strong, and although that's great if you want that, it is incredibly loud and unnecessary if you aren't buying it for the conditions they're built for.

signalnoise has a new favorite as of 07:31 on Jul 22, 2021

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I've been using a Chrome sling bag for many years. The quick-release buckle in the center is great if you style your hair, wear a hat, have a big rear end coat or whatever that makes it hard for a strap to go over your head.

https://www.chromeindustries.com/bags/messenger-bags/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol, jumbo camo fanny pack

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Captain Invictus posted:

lol, jumbo camo fanny pack

Fortunately it comes in a variety of color options, including just black. I was considering giving one of those to my father in law, who is a 70+ year old dude who wears suspenders and puts his phone in the breast pocket of his shirts so they sag horribly on one side. I dunno when the tipping point is for just absolutely not giving a gently caress but he passed it a long time ago

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Only thing I might add about sling and messenger bags, if like me you have back problems they will only make the problems worse. I was all about slings and messengers in college, but as I get older my back has gotten worse and now I have to limit to backpacks so whatever uncool dad EDC is balanced and doesn’t gently caress up my spine any more than necessary.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Get a camera bag or satchel. I'd rather cosplay as Indiana Jones or even

than a footballer.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Best everyday use olive oils? I have Fresh Direct store brand I buy a few liters at a time that I just burn through cooking/infusing, and there are a variety of more expensive brands I'll get some dipping bread or dressing certain salads - there must be a better olive oil out there than the FD store brand for every day use that isn't going to bankrupt me.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Costco has Kirkland EVOO for pretty cheap I think, haven't had to buy another jug in a while so I forget the price.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I like the California Olive Ranch brand. They’ve got different varieties if you’re looking for a specific flavor profile.

Also agreed the Kirkland stuff is good for a default (though it is a big bottle).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I only buy Pompeian olive oils. They're good, they're reasonably priced, and you can be sure of what you're getting.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I only buy Pompeian olive oils. They're good, they're reasonably priced, and you can be sure of what you're getting.

This is what I've been using the last couple of years. Good stuff.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

California Olive Ranch or Newman's Own. Kirkland and Colivita are also solid.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Olive oil goes bad in about 6 months so be cautious about buying in bulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dance McPants posted:

Costco has Kirkland EVOO for pretty cheap I think, haven't had to buy another jug in a while so I forget the price.

I can't get to Costco often, but I'll at least check it out and see if its worth making the extra effort for and moving some other things over to Kirkland. A few friends and family swear by Kirkland brand everything.

Thwomp posted:

I like the California Olive Ranch brand. They’ve got different varieties if you’re looking for a specific flavor profile.

Also agreed the Kirkland stuff is good for a default (though it is a big bottle).

I like COR but it is more than 2x what I'm paying for the FD store brand.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I don't know this brand but it seems like they've got a lot of other oils and vinegars, I will check it out.

Inzombiac posted:

Olive oil goes bad in about 6 months so be cautious about buying in bulk.

I cook 5 nights a week, I go through the 3L tin of the FD brand name in as many months, and don't really buy more than a 375ml size bottle of anything nicer.