Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Osmosisch posted:

I wish there was more EU talk because I'm currently browsing for a new job and the salaries in the Netherlands at least are extremely not at the levels discussed itt.

Like, I'm a senior fullstack guy and the range seems to hover around 60k for a 40hr position, which is a bummer because that's already what I'm making and I was sneakily expecting to come out ahead after a move.

Luxury problems though, not like i actually need more money.

TheFluff posted:

I am also a senior fullstack guy, although in Stockholm, not the Netherlands. I get 60k SEK/month plus some monopoly money stock options (company isn't public). That's about 82k USD/year base at current exchange rates; then I pay a bit over 30% of that in tax. The company is headquartered in Stockholm but also has a sizeable Palo Alto office, and my team is split across these two locations with the hiring manager in the US, so I suspect that drags the salaries up a bit. I got the impression when I was hired that I could probably have made out with even more money if I hadn't named a number first. Still I'm very happy with this, it's a shitton of money by my reckoning. IME a lot of EU companies without much of a US presence are insisting on much lower pay grades but the market is definitely moving upwards pretty quickly.

We're hiring by the way, both in Stockholm and in Palo Alto, and I believe there are also remote-in-the-US and mostly-remote-in-Sweden options available (I myself am planning to go into the office 1-3 days a week in the future). Current headcount is something like 200 people, but you will definitely have heard of the company and I can pretty confidently say that our main product is good. My team is doing a rather mundane enterprise sales platform with some moderately obnoxious technical debt in golang/react/mysql ( :gonk: ); the code is pretty bad (not terrible) but the people are good and I have good hopes we can turn it around. Other teams I don't know very well, I've only been here a couple of months and I haven't met that many other people yet. We're mostly hiring web peeps right now, both frontend and fullstack, but there are a few other openings on other teams as well. I'd just post a link to our jobs page but I'd prefer to stay a little bit more anonymous than that. PM's are open.

don’t forget that unlike your american counterparts, your “cost” to the company is a lot higher because instead of 12.5% social security and medicare contributions the employer makes on top of their salaries, it’s more than 25-35% in your countries. Also (hopefully) you get additional retirement pension contributions on top of your countries social security scheme which should be another 10-20% on top of your base salary whereas americans at best get some poo poo rear end 401k matching, and of course you’re not paying for health insurance, your children’s day care or future college education (paid for by the above-mentioned 25-35% employer contributions among other taxes)

not an excuse to not chase after figgies, but they’re gonna be lower in any like for like comparison due to the above

Asymmetric POSTer fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RokosCockatrice posted:

Days after I got strong feedback from all interviews they gave me a non-negotiable lowball offer. Went from "max is X but we'll make it work if we find the right candidate" to "strong yes from all interviews" to "X? Who said that? Here's an offer for X-20% and we can't go any higher".

edit: I'm not bitter. I've just hired people under me for X+$30k base. Not bitter about my time being wasted at all.

ask them for a 25% ownership stake instead of that comp

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
ya I'm very happy with my current figgies, they're v deece for the area and I have more than enough money to do as I please. I don't even use a lot of the services my taxes provide for (no kids is the real big one, you get literal years of paid parental leave in addition to free daycare/schooling) but I strongly support this type of system and I have zero desire to move to figgieland.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 21, 2021

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

you’re not paying for health insurance, your children’s day care or future college education

While this may be true in some places, this is not the case in the Netherlands, FYI, and is not what the trend is generally though nowhere has reached US levels yet. Capitalist hellscape is creeping globally.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Osmosisch posted:

While this may be true in some places, this is not the case in the Netherlands, FYI, and is not what the trend is generally though nowhere has reached US levels yet. Capitalist hellscape is creeping globally.

:smithicide:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Osmosisch posted:

the welfare states are hit or miss in some weird places. my native Denmark for instance has free healthcare except for teeth, and medicines are sometimes subsidized but might also have a target you have to hit before they become cheap.

at least university is still free for all eu citizens and you get a stipend so come on down

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
(note: a ton of this will be wrong probably because i’m an idiot)
yeah for your taxes in poland you get a healthcare system that is terribly underfunded and has doctors and nurses hopping across the border to germany further exacerbating personnel shortages. so if you don’t want to wait for years for some procedure you gotta do it private. additionally medicine subsidies are kinda hit or miss.
education is rapidly going to poo poo under this government and again, your best bet is becoming private education or homeschooling unless you’re in a big city and can get your kids into a highly ranked public school. and if you can do that, odds are good that you can also afford to send them to private schools.
early childcare is being expanded, kinda, but it’s still woefully lacking.
our tax system is also pretty regressive. the majority of top earners pay a 19% flat tax for businesses because they have personal companies set up for this when they should be in the 32% tax bracket.
meanwhile the various contributions are structured such that the tax burden is highest for low income citizens.
finally, local budgets have been gutted by an income tax exemption for people under 26 yo. this means that everyone under 26 earning up to the second tax bracket or under 85k pln yearly pays zero income tax, only healthcare/retirement contributions.
concerning retirement, the “common knowledge” is that you will get poo poo all for your contributions but i haven’t looked into that so i honestly don’t know.
all in all, a hostile country to live in. at least university is free so you can go someplace better after you graduate.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
of course, you might not want to count poland as a civilised country or as a european country since we seem to be determined to leave the EU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fatal Error posted:

of course, you might not want to count poland as a civilised country or as a european country since we seem to be determined to leave the EU

it'll be worth it to prevent women from having abortions and surely isn't a play by russia for klept takeover

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

qirex posted:

it'll be worth it to prevent women from having abortions and surely isn't a play by russia for klept takeover

don't forget gay marriage and adoption

possibly burqa and minaret bans too, but that's a western eu thing as well

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Yo I got an email from an AWS recruiter who said they found me on something called Hiretual. Anyone know wtf it is and how it got my info? I haven't updated any of my professional poo poo online in like 5 years, and even that is a really anemic presence. Just kinda weirds me out that I got contacted for a senior dev position when there's no indication anywhere on the web that I'm a senior.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

shoeberto posted:

Yo I got an email from an AWS recruiter who said they found me on something called Hiretual. Anyone know wtf it is and how it got my info? I haven't updated any of my professional poo poo online in like 5 years, and even that is a really anemic presence. Just kinda weirds me out that I got contacted for a senior dev position when there's no indication anywhere on the web that I'm a senior.

if you've been programming for 5 years then they're probably just spamming out those requests knowing that if they do offer it'll be a level below, that's basically their entire hiring mo

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Got it.

It's especially weird to me because I have two email addresses, one that I've always used for resumes/professional stuff, and the other that I use for my personal poo poo, and he sent it to my personal address. So much for trying to compartmentalize.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

shoeberto posted:

Got it.

It's especially weird to me because I have two email addresses, one that I've always used for resumes/professional stuff, and the other that I use for my personal poo poo, and he sent it to my personal address. So much for trying to compartmentalize.

It was me trying to catfish you. Pls respond.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Routing number and account sent, best of luck in leaving exile your highness!!!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I just off the phone with Workday who really wanted to interview me with the following steps:

• 15 minute screen interview with recruiter with 3 months on the job
  • 1 hour interview with hiring manager
  • Code "challenge" on hackerrank, one week to complete most do it in half (or put in another way, half a week of free labor)
  • Final interview in three parts, two normal interviews one code sessions each of an hours duration

Just, no. The screening lady sounded surprised when I said no, that's too much work for a position to write javascript with node.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
accepted the offer. other others included a company wanting me to relocate to iowa city (lmao) and a frontend only role. ty to the pos for making this all possible and i definitely listed a dozen made up products and services in my prior inventions paperwork as instructed. im very excited to work for a company you all hate

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

barkbell posted:

im very excited to work for a company you all hate

you're gonna have to be much more specific there

anyway, congratulations!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

barkbell posted:

accepted the offer. other others included a company wanting me to relocate to iowa city (lmao) and a frontend only role. ty to the pos for making this all possible and i definitely listed a dozen made up products and services in my prior inventions paperwork as instructed. im very excited to work for a company you all hate

grats on jobs

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the op of this thread is one of the most useful resources on the whole site, imo

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Boiled Water posted:

I just off the phone with Workday who really wanted to interview me with the following steps:

• Code "challenge" on hackerrank, one week to complete most do it in half (or put in another way, half a week of free labor)
  • Final interview in three parts, two normal interviews one code sessions each of an hours duration

Just, no. The screening lady sounded surprised when I said no, that's too much work for a position to write javascript with node.

does “one week to complete” mean “one week of labor” or “a deadline of a week?”

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

barkbell posted:

:hellyeah:

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Boiled Water posted:

you're gonna have to be much more specific there

anyway, congratulations!

some agile collab tool

Boiled Water posted:

last month some place wanted me to complete a code challenge in a few days. by code challenge they meant consume this movie db api, create a searchable frontend, have good ux and styling, use no third party component libs, and deploy it complete with unit tests. ah yes let me just create this production ready app in my freetime for a chance at an interview with you.

jesus WEP posted:

the op of this thread is one of the most useful resources on the whole site, imo

ya it really is

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

barkbell posted:

last month some place wanted me to complete a code challenge in a few days. by code challenge they meant

quote:

consume this movie db api,
ok

quote:

create a searchable frontend,
ok

quote:

have good ux and styling,
nope

quote:

use no third party component libs,
hell no

quote:

and deploy it complete with unit tests.
gently caress that

quote:

ah yes let me just create this production ready app in my freetime for a chance at an interview with you.

i like take homes much better that whiteboarding, but it needs to be an equivalent amount of work, like 1-2 hours max

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
oh ya ci/cd was a nice to have stretch goal along with pagination and some other stuff lmao

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

barkbell posted:

oh ya ci/cd was a nice to have stretch goal along with pagination and some other stuff lmao

i'm sure if any of this was not the pinnacle of performance/efficiency it'd've been points off

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I do ux crit for my friends' takehomes in exchange for beer

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

raminasi posted:

does “one week to complete” mean “one week of labor” or “a deadline of a week?”

Deadline in one week.

But then the recruiter followed up with "don't worry most people only use half", which makes me question how much work it is. Not that it matters since any company who wants both a take home and live coding raises more red flags than a convention in the PRC.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

in the take home I did for my current job the front-end “ux” was literally a text dump of the request results

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I'll be posting choice parts from their employee benefits slidedeck when I'm done watching Looper.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I interviewed at workday, it was for a lead position but everyone asked me a bunch of super granular questions about various components plus it's in the middle of nowhere [pleasanton, a full hour on bart if no delays] and they were like "you can work remote 4 days a month"

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Welcome to the Workday Benefits slide deck for Denmark.

Followed by this tasty morsel:

quote:

It’s fun to work in a company where people truly believe in what they’re doing. At Workday, we’re committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business of enterprise applications. We work hard, and we’re serious about what we do. But we like to have a good time, too. In fact, we run our company with that principle in mind every day: One of our core values is fun.

next slide

Oh well now this sounds like something. I guess the fitness tracker is Orwellian but you can just not wear the thing.

Of course this is followed immediately by

quote:

• Subject to tax (benefit in kind)
Which for Denmark means you're paying tax on every single dollar, which also means this is basically income they're not paying you. At current exchange rate $600 is 3794.24 DKK, which will absolutely buy you a year of premium fitness in the cheapest gym chain in Denmark. Of course you have paid for it already as it's taxable income. Moving on.

On the section of Savings there's stuff like insurance which is fine, and Stock Schemes (RSUs & ESPP) with a vesting time of ... 4 years. The recruiter couldn't tell me if Workday is publicly traded or if the stock is monopoly money.

The next page may reveal it. It reads:

quote:

At Workday, we recognize the best of the best with our awards and
recognition schemes such as Anniversary Stars, Innovation Awards,
Team Awards, The Big Cheese, and the Outstanding Contributor Award
(OCA), just to name a few.
In addition to bragging rights, winners may receive a prize as well.

oh boy it's working_in_corporate.txt, but wait, there's more!

quote:

For example, OCA winners recognize employees who go way beyond
business as usual to bring Workday to life and receive a restricted stock
unit (RSU) grant for 50 shares.

So it's either monopoly money or no one has ever won this award.

Next slide, please

quote:

Shelter Pet Adoption Subsidy
At Workday, we really love animals and realize those in shelters need
our help. If you adopt a shelter pet, we’ll subsidize your adoption fees
up to US$150, or local equivalent, once per calendar year. You can
choose to receive the subsidy or pay it forward. If you pay it forward and
the shelter you adopted from is a non-profit, you can choose to donate
your subsidy (with no tax consequence) directly to the shelter. And, as
an added incentive, Workday Giving & Doing will match those funds.
There’s never been a better reason to expand your pet family.

I mean it's nice they want to give their employees easy access to pets, but at the same time it's income and you'll be paying tax on that $150 equivalent. It's sorta like if your work paid you in ultra specific gift cards.

Next slide.

Title reads: Be Happy

quote:

• Beer and cocktail Thursdays or Fridays
• Team building
• Workday Wellbeing programs
• Sports teams
• Quarterly team building outings
• Winter and summer events, including holiday celebrations
• Cloud Louder, our very own Workday band
• Beauty therapy

Some of it sounds nice. I'd like to Beauty Therapy. I'm not sure about the team building tho. There's an image attached:

I'm unsure of what kind of fun Workday likes.

The next slide is the annual leave, which is basically all the public holidays, the legally mandated minimum and five additional paid days off which is nice.

Second to last slide

Title: Global Impact: Give Forward (ie. corporate social responsibility).
It's a bunch of bullshit, shown here in full:

That's all folks! And remember:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

trying to export american culture with blind ignorance that other places might have different values/priorities is maybe the most american thing of all

hey, you get $50/month for them to make $100 month selling your health data, what a bargain

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I work closely with Workday as an integrations partner and none of that poo poo is surprising at all.

The taxable benefits thing is understandable though. Even if you are paying the tax on the $150 pet or whatever, you are still being partially subsidized so still come out ahead.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Imo a lot of companies are going really overboard on the taxable benefits. What's the point of not just giving you cash when there's no tax advantage? They think it'll make you more productive to follow a five step process to buy your health smoothie with the benefits card?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mantle posted:

I work closely with Workday as an integrations partner and none of that poo poo is surprising at all.

The taxable benefits thing is understandable though. Even if you are paying the tax on the $150 pet or whatever, you are still being partially subsidized so still come out ahead.

You can just pay the workers if it's all the same to you

Cyanide Sandwich
Oct 24, 2010
sup peeps, found out I did well in interviews and the place is going to give me an offer on Monday, need some help figuring out what to ask since it would involve me relocating to Montréal from another country, and I have no idea what figgies are deece over there.

it's a full-time consulting gig, their recruiter already gave me a 70-85k CAD range, but that it could be possible to negotiate. Relocation package/visa included, 30 days PTO, etc. No mention of bonus/stock. Right now I make ~115k CAD total comp considering purchasing power parity, 5 years of experience. Any advice from Canada goons?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm a boot camp grad and make more than that with 1 year experience fully remote for a Victoria company.

My friends with 6 years experience are making around $160k TC, so you should too

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Wait, you make how much in Victoria? Doing what? I was under the impression wages for programmers, at least, were depressed there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Quackles posted:

Wait, you make how much in Victoria? Doing what? I was under the impression wages for programmers, at least, were depressed there.

I'm a Python dev. In my last round of job hunting I was in the final rounds of interviews with several companies that all were interested in hiring at the $80-90k range for someone with my capabilities and experience.

I think inflation has been much higher than reported officially. Go make hay while the sun is shining.

In fact I think I left money on the table because they offered $85k and I asked for $90k and they said yes immediately. Oh well.