Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Valve choosing Linux isn't just a 'vendetta' against Microsoft. It's a good business decision, because they won't need to pay for a Windows license on every steam deck they sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I have those grips too and they do make the switch feel huge. And crappy since it doesn’t have rumble :(

As far as installing windows goes, I’m sure it’ll work okay but lol at your battery life. I’m sure one of the benefits of using the OS it comes with is it’s actually optimized for it!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

I have those grips too and they do make the switch feel huge. And crappy since it doesn’t have rumble :(

As far as installing windows goes, I’m sure it’ll work okay but lol at your battery life. I’m sure one of the benefits of using the OS it comes with is it’s actually optimized for it!

This goes for game performance too. I expect windows to be a resource hog on this thing compared to SteamOS.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Nuts and Gum posted:

I've used the Horis but I went and tried: https://www.amazon.com/binbok-Controller-Wireless-Replacement-Adjustable/dp/B08ZH4XXNY

And I couldn't be happier, this is the 2021 version that fixes the dpad. It's not incredible or anything but has replaced my Hori and Satisfye

E: oops my bad it's the Steam Deck thread, I got a 512 for Q1

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Gadfly posted:

Valve choosing Linux isn't just a 'vendetta' against Microsoft. It's a good business decision, because they won't need to pay for a Windows license on every steam deck they sell.
Vendetta is a big word but they definitely started distributing SteamOS and working on Linux in general to hedge against Microsoft loving up their business model with the Windows app store. That was back when Windows 8 came out, before people realized that the Windows app store sucks poo poo, but they continued to work on it because it is a pretty good hedge.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This goes for game performance too. I expect windows to be a resource hog on this thing compared to SteamOS.

Not having to go through Proton and having 'native' running games can help performance vs. the overhead required by Proton. Windows might require more resources, but does that take more or less shoving Windows games through Proton?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It depends mostly on what APIs the game uses, some stuff actually performs better via proton than natively. Anything with Vulkan support especially. Most stuff just runs, negliably worse. If (big if) the compatibility is good then it's not worth giving a poo poo booting into windows for that extra 5% or whatever, ime

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It is quite big though, isn't it

It'll probably be nice for kicking back and relaxing in a recliner, for car rides, that kind of thing. Doesn't seem like something you can easily carry with you as you're out and about, though.

No one takes their switch out so that's not an issue really :p

The way people actually take their handhelds out is basically specific to normal people who are vaguely embarrassed of being seen with it or nervous of it being stolen. People will use them in controlled situations most often, or planes etc. where you're sitting and the size won't matter.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

repiv posted:

I've been perusing ProtonDB a bunch and I just can't see casual users getting along with this level of jank, unless Valve pulls off a miracle with the private branch they're sitting on.

I think one thing that's been overlooked is how games run at launch, when there's the biggest rush of players. Scroll all the way to the oldest reports and see how messy things can get.

Doom Eternal is a Platinum rated game now but if you were hype to play it on release day? welp unlucky lol, wait an indeterminate amount of time to play the game you paid for

There's been compatibility lists being compiled for handheld gaming PCs for a while now. A fair chunk of Windows games crash if you put the PC to sleep, older games require graphics wrappers in order to display properly etc. Installing Windows isn't going to be a be-all end-all solution.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hey so stadia might have a use after all!

All of the games on stadia are Linux so devs could just take those versions and throw them on steam lol

Hundreds of games!

RDR2 would be a neat one to get a Linux version of though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

RDR2 on Windows already has a Vulkan renderer, a native Linux port isn't likely to be any better. It would be useful for Windows versions of games to merge in Vulkan renderers made for Stadia!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Ok I lied

Digital Foundry did another longer video about the deck and they make some really good points.

https://youtu.be/4Dd_bazOYOY

John talks about ergonomics and he makes a really good point about the grips and button placement being really comfortable.

I know that I had to get a grip attachment and hori split pad pro to get my switch to be comfortable for me to play for extended periods.

Props to these mad lads for hand-counting every frame in the promo videos to see the framerates they're running at (locked 60 for doom eternal, 30 to 40 for fallen order)

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

repiv posted:

Neither is the Switch, really

Yeah I carry my switch around in a sidebag all the time. Deck will definitely fit in there.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

Yeah I carry my switch around in a sidebag all the time. Deck will definitely fit in there.

Also the deck comes with a case by default which is actually super cool and good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MarcusSA posted:

Hundreds of games!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

pseudorandom name posted:

It occurs to me that since every game gets installed in its own separate Proton instance, they could run the game in its own cgroup, fake a Windows hibernation, and then suspend the cgroup.

Indeed. I looked at some of the code that is public and they are using bwrap and flatpak to put games into their own cgroup and isolated from the host file system, so all the dark magic you can do with cgroups is readily available to steam.

It really depends on how far they want to push it and how much they want to depend on kernel features that some may not have.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So this is pretty big tbh

Valve plans on having the Deck auto set the TDP for the game but! They are also releasing an open source program to let users change it them selves per game.

This video explains why it could be awesome for the deck (or other handhelds).

https://youtu.be/8xSgbodizp0

If valve and can do what he describes in the second half of the video that could be a real game changer for portable pc gaming.

As it is right now it’s up to each user to find tweaks and quite frankly it’s a pain in the rear end.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Sounds like CoreCtrl but integrated into Steam? Tbh it seems a bit ambitious to me to have all these things ready to go.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Have any of the videos said how easy it is to take apart? Save a lot of money buying the low end one and cloning it to a TB drive.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

They say it’s not user serviceable because it is behind EMI shielding and a thermal spreader.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Valve is dead to me.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

They say it’s not user serviceable because it is behind EMI shielding and a thermal spreader.

Some laptops have their SSD behind that kind of shielding, this is what you can probably expect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPUYfBJaJ14&t=334s

Takes a bit more effort than a simple swap but it's not the end of the world

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Also depends on how it is put together. Hopefully it's not modern iPhone levels of cramped. Real interested in a tear down, as is everyone.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The exposed screws on the back bode well for it not being a clipped/glued together nightmare at least

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

repiv posted:

The exposed screws on the back bode well for it not being a clipped/glued together nightmare at least

While I expect it will be far more serviceable than most modern devices, everything but everything has some clips these days.

Also, for those who missed it, they said in the ign interview a few pages back that they're targeting 30fps at somewhat lowered graphics settings for current, graphically demanding games. An accomplishment for a mobile SoC to be sure.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think it’s to be expected. If they want it to be accessible they shouldn’t get to hung up on 60/30 as most don’t care.

As long as it’s consistent most won’t even notice

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Also, for those who missed it, they said in the ign interview a few pages back that they're targeting 30fps at somewhat lowered graphics settings for current, graphically demanding games. An accomplishment for a mobile SoC to be sure.

Yeah, that's largely a matter of good timing though. It's launching at the tail end of a console generation when most AAAs are still targeting 8 year old hardware that wasn't all that fast even when it launched, and as things shift forward towards the new console generation AAA performance requirements are going to run away from what's really feasible on a handheld, even a hypothetical Deck gen2.

The Deck will be able to run indies and other less demanding games for a very long time though.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

The Steam Deck is going to be a fantastic machine for emulation.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

repiv posted:

Yeah, that's largely a matter of good timing though. It's launching at the tail end of a console generation when most AAAs are still targeting 8 year old hardware that wasn't all that fast even when it launched, and as things shift forward towards the new console generation AAA performance requirements are going to run away from what's really feasible on a handheld, even a hypothetical Deck gen2.

The Deck will be able to run indies and other less demanding games for a very long time though.

I think you'll have a lot of people still targeting the ability to play stuff on the Switch, and anything that can run there will run on the Deck very easily. I also expect game streaming will keep progressing, which should help a lot; but yeah, even modern AAA stuff like 2077 is gonna be hard pressed to run very well.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
It's disappointing that the battery isn't designed to be easily removable. Imagine having spare batteries that you could charge separately, and pop one in for an instant 100% charge.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

The Gadfly posted:

It's disappointing that the battery isn't designed to be easily removable. Imagine having spare batteries that you could charge separately, and pop one in for an instant 100% charge.

Easily removable batteries is just another casualty of post 2010 technology

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It would cost fractions of a penny to have a cut out for a battery compartment, production can't take that kind of frivolousness!

RT though are there even any standardized batteries in that size? Google is only giving me dell laptop batteries, and contrary to the above, manufacturing your own removable battery probably isn't cheap. The availability of replacement cells could well be a concern though.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

Thanks Obama

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

Part of the cause here is that it's no longer "a battery" that can be easily popped in and out. Big devices these days have a bunch of cells arranged to fill every bit of available space, and making that user-replaceable means losing a bunch of that volume and then people complain that your widget doesn't have as much battery life as the other devices with non-removable batteries.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Groovelord Neato posted:

Have any of the videos said how easy it is to take apart? Save a lot of money buying the low end one and cloning it to a TB drive.

Good luck, the Steam Deck uses a M.2 2230 SSD which is small as gently caress an not the standard size of M.2 drive. Newegg doesn't even carry a 1TB version in that form factor. A video I watched, don't remember which, someone found a site that had one in stock an it's well over $200; you'd end up paying more than the highest tier.

Just get a large MicroSD.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sigher posted:

Good luck, the Steam Deck uses a M.2 2230 SSD which is small as gently caress an not the standard size of M.2 drive. Newegg doesn't even carry a 1TB version in that form factor. A video I watched, don't remember which, someone found a site that had one in stock an it's well over $200; you'd end up paying more than the highest tier.

Just get a large MicroSD.

Valve has also said that all the games the IGN dude was playing were off the SD card as well.

I don’t think playing off the SD card is going to be quite as bad as people imagine.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The IGN people were playing from SD card but they never commented on or showed the load times as far as I can remember

I'm sure playing games from SD will be adequate, just not ideal

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

It'll depend a lot on the quality of the SD card. Getting a cheap and slow one will be horrible no matter what the device itself can do over the interface.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

repiv posted:

The IGN people were playing from SD card but they never commented on or showed the load times as far as I can remember

I'm sure playing games from SD will be adequate, just not ideal

The read speed is what it is, and that information is out there. Games aren’t going to magic something up to make an SD card better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The current common 1TB m.2 2230 drives will potentially not fit because they're too fat. The KBG40ZNS1T02 for example is a fatter form factor than its 512GB counterpart, the KBG40ZNS512G. Incidentally, if you search on ebay for the KBG40ZNS512G, you'll find some at around the $100 mark, but even then you'll notice the underside isn't quite flat if you pay attention to the pics. According to Kioxia's website, the 1TB model is "m.2 2230-S3", while the 512GB model is "m.2 2230-S2". You could conceivably order the 64gb Deck and slap a $100 512GB after-market SSD in there and have the $650 model for $500 (minus the bonuses), but I'd be wary of doing this until the device is in people's hands and we know what is and isn't compatible, and how easy such a swap would be.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 23, 2021