Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
ok cool im kinda into necro if they can zoom around. What's generally regarded as the fun build? Scythe or Corpse Explosion? both are rated S on maxgg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I'm going to do Monk and maybe Wizard as I didn't play last season and want to try out Firebirds. Don't know whether I'll end up farming for the transmogs as I usually play solo.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

RodShaft posted:

The only classes I haven't played are Wizard and witch doctor. I was going to do wizard this season but I really don't dedicate a crazy amount of time. Would I be happier with witch doctor?

I love witch doctor and have more hours on it than every other class combined but it's really in a rough place for solo farming/low hours. You're still probably better off with wizard since Arachyr is janky trash at its best and you can probably have something resembling functional firebird quick enough if you go wizard.

Waroduce posted:

ok cool im kinda into necro if they can zoom around. What's generally regarded as the fun build? Scythe or Corpse Explosion? both are rated S on maxgg

The tier list you're looking at is for solo pushing, not solo xp/speeds. CE is more fun than Scythe but is harder to gear correctly (gloves and amulet are both miserable rolls) and has a slightly lower ceiling, particularly in groups where you don't have to line up cooldowns with the COE cycle. Either of the last two seasons would have been better times to play necro since bone spear was useful in almost any context (group or solo, speed or push) but apparently it had to die.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Corpse explosion is just fun as hell. Basically the only downside is generating your first corpse and there are abilities to help you deal with that.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Based on gift sets, what class would people recommend for a solo person who prefers lower apm/complexity builds? (UE Multishot is like, my favorite build because of how easy it is to play) But also, something that's gonna get up and running fast? I always kinda hate that lull that I hit after getting 2/4 piece.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Vyr is the least bad gift set this go 'round, I think?

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
Except vyr is actually more of a 13 piece than a 6 piece.

e: ik barb is dead simple to play, has the easiest set dungeon in the game, and you can use it to build either ww or frenzy pretty easily.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yeah barb is the answer. Most of the rest are real bad so I wouldn't choose your starting class based on the gift if you can avoid it. Necro is always a good start because they're super easy to level and can immediately go LoD.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I'm interested in trying out this season after a while of being gone. They're saying you'll need to get all 21 ethereal weapons across each class to unlock them for transmog, but I haven't bought the Necromancer DLC. I know they've said that you can find a different class's item at reduced odds, but can you get items for Necromancer at all if you don't own the DLC?

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
Yes.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
I think Barb and DH will have the easiest starts because their sets are just flat damage increases instead of needing a certain skill. For Wizard Vyr sucks to get started because you need all of the other items to get the set going. Necro isn't too bad. Still going monk which is in the middle of the pack for being annoying, where you'll want a Flow of Eternity to get the Seven Sided Strike cooldown lowered

Finding other classes ethereals is going to be REALLY uncommon. If you are going to want the transmogs you'll probably want to buy necro so you can play one to get drops. Sure smartloop COULD drop necro ethereals but the odds are going to be really small

wonderboy
Aug 15, 2001
What is the secret of your power?
Leveling a monk with the updated Crudest Boots is straight up busted, at least once you get the water ally.
You can comfortably run t6 from that point.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I got female monk from the wheel and I don't have one at 70 yet so I'll start one tomorrow. What time does the season start?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

The tier list you're looking at is for solo pushing, not solo xp/speeds. CE is more fun than Scythe but is harder to gear correctly (gloves and amulet are both miserable rolls) and has a slightly lower ceiling, particularly in groups where you don't have to line up cooldowns with the COE cycle. Either of the last two seasons would have been better times to play necro since bone spear was useful in almost any context (group or solo, speed or push) but apparently it had to die.

So I'm taking.... either from this and just go with the gear drops?

Also season starts at 8 est / 5 pst

Don't forget to do your challenge rift after go time

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
Push whichever of those two you get the gear for, do speeds on LOD Rat.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

gariig posted:

Finding other classes ethereals is going to be REALLY uncommon. If you are going to want the transmogs you'll probably want to buy necro so you can play one to get drops. Sure smartloop COULD drop necro ethereals but the odds are going to be really small

For some perspective smart loot drops are 85% so you're looking at 15% for off-class dumb drops. Then there's 6 other classes to draw from where you'd need the right one to roll. So on average 1 in every 40 etheral drops might be for necro if you're not playing as one, and you'd have to land that at least 3 times. Not something I would rely on at all.

If Blizz weren't so inept at this point I'd say this was intentional to sell more necro expansions, but it's much more likely the skeleton crew that's left on d3 either didn't think to make each class's transmogs a separate feat of strength unlock or couldn't figure out how in the time alotted.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

https://diabloseasons.com/

Under the "Start" column, there is a checklist item that says:

"Switch to Master difficulty
Equip a pet, wings, and portrait"

What is that all about? Was it a step in the seasonal journey in a previous season or something?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

owl_pellet posted:

https://diabloseasons.com/

Under the "Start" column, there is a checklist item that says:

"Switch to Master difficulty
Equip a pet, wings, and portrait"

What is that all about? Was it a step in the seasonal journey in a previous season or something?

No but you need the pet/wings/portrait so you look cool. Pet hoovers up gold too.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Mustached Demon posted:

No but you need the pet/wings/portrait so you look cool. Pet hoovers up gold too.

Yeah I knew about the gold thing but I wasn't sure why it had to be on Master difficulty

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
So the starter follower weapons are OP compared to what you start with, which allows you to kill a boss at level 1 on master difficulty without much effort. So the idea is you find a boss bounty, complete it at level 1, and the cache should have 2-3 yellows for you.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
New season starts today or tomorrow?

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
today, 5pm PST

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Target Practice posted:

New season starts today or tomorrow?

A little over 3 hours in NA.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The monk's Uliana set is not a great starter, except for the two-piece bonus which applies exploding on regular attacks which is both fun and great for early leveling.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

Yeah barb is the answer. Most of the rest are real bad so I wouldn't choose your starting class based on the gift if you can avoid it. Necro is always a good start because they're super easy to level and can immediately go LoD.

What should I know about this? What makes them easy to level / whats up with LoD?

Despite buying the Necro DLC I think I've barely played them lol, maybe this season is the one to amend that.

e: vvv FWIW, I bought it long ago.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 23, 2021

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
For PC, I would avoid purchasing the DLC out of sheer principle. Fortunately, the Switch version comes with it.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Oxyclean posted:

What should I know about this? What makes them easy to level / whats up with LoD?

Despite buying the Necro DLC I think I've barely played them lol, maybe this season is the one to amend that.

e: vvv FWIW, I bought it long ago.

I think it's just the corpse explosion gloves and maybe a 2 handed scythes is all that's needed to get started. Honestly I would play what you want. Whether it's lod or haedeig it's a small amount of your play time

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

gariig posted:

I think it's just the corpse explosion gloves and maybe a 2 handed scythes is all that's needed to get started. Honestly I would play what you want. Whether it's lod or haedeig it's a small amount of your play time

Yep. Automatic 2h scythe can be cubed for big damage and the gloves are almost 100% gamble chance. They will normally carry the entire group to 70.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I'm gonna be streaming some casual leveling with my 8yo. On switch.
http://www.twitch.tv/rodshaftmd

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
lol i got The Grandfather on the way to Kanais at level 10

33 whole damage

frenzy stacks tho

Youth with a Skull
Aug 16, 2004

Hit 'em with one-a dees
Grimey Drawer

Waroduce posted:

lol i got The Grandfather on the way to Kanais at level 10

33 whole damage

frenzy stacks tho

Just had a level 10 oculus drop, looks like we're getting a freebie. Totally wouldnt have blown it on a wizard had I known!

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I got a "Fleet Footed passive and +10 max stacks of Sweeping Wind that deals 700% more damage" at level 20 and the next time I looked at my clock I was level 60. Good season so far imo

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Vakal posted:

The monk's Uliana set is not a great starter, except for the two-piece bonus which applies exploding on regular attacks which is both fun and great for early leveling.

I remember liking the concept of the set, and it seems a good way to go for Exploding Palm. Especially combined with the items that make Exploding Palm spread.

I will probably want to mess around with it until I get the other set together that has been updated for the new patch, the one all about the mystic allies and auras.

Found 2 Ethereals so far and sad I can't dual wield them.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
At level 8 I found the monk ethereal that improves bell & rang in the new season all the way to 70 with it, lol. My friend really had to work to keep up damage-wise, especially after 60.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
Demon Hunter this season as an opener. Got 5 Ethereals before level 25. Not seen one since. Wind Force carried me pretty nicely. Every build guide swears by Convention of Elements but I really do not like trying to figure out the perfect time to be attacking.

TheJadedOne fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 24, 2021

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
yeah I kinda wish the build sites would have more casual options like "no coe" and "no snapshotting," they can be very hard or annoying or just plain tedious to execute well and despite being worth it for those who can or want to are complete rear end for playing lazily and there's usually an alternative that is like 80% as effective with 0% of the effort

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well found my third Ethereal, but it is a duplicate of one I was already using, actually the one I had equipped. So I am still missing one Monk Ethereal, and haven't got any for other classes yet.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

TheJadedOne posted:

Demon Hunter this season as an opener. Got 5 Ethereals before level 25. Not seen one since. Wind Force carried me pretty nicely. Every build guide swears by Convention of Elements but I really do not like trying to figure out the perfect time to be attacking.

Swilo posted:

yeah I kinda wish the build sites would have more casual options like "no coe" and "no snapshotting," they can be very hard or annoying or just plain tedious to execute well and despite being worth it for those who can or want to are complete rear end for playing lazily and there's usually an alternative that is like 80% as effective with 0% of the effort

Why do people get so worked up over CoE?
If you just ignore the mechanic completely it's still a 50% damage increase.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's always weird to me that most people who complain about COE never say anything about say, Oculus Ring, which is way more random and important to min-maxing GR runs. Just put on COE and enjoy it's 50% more damage even if you never look at the buff!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Got one eth really early leveling and then a gg one (epiphany and guardians path jade talon) once I got 70. Can't even fully utilize it with my poo poo uliana's build yet. Had a pretty smooth leveling group, right around or just under 2 hours. Good times goons.