Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wow that's some mediocre rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
No idea if this will still hold during the event. But right now you can start the space one solo, and it's mostly AFKable. If I remember right, you have to kill the first group at the start of the TFO to start the next section, but after that you can AFK.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hmm, I'm thinking I'll go classic Ocean Liner.

I wish they'd just have paint options that are just 'ALL COLOR 1' and 'ALL COLOR 2' for sections.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I've got the bug of customizations not working for the event ship, its annoying.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Hunter Noventa posted:

I've got the bug of customizations not working for the event ship, its annoying.

Ditto.

Though hopefully they MIGHT have it fixed when i log in again; Xmas. :cawg:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Just a heads up, if you log in with steam online atm, it tries to get you to link your account to arc, but if you just the play in offline mode there's no issue. Since this is some new issues that's just started up today, I'm just starting the game with steam in offline mode to be sure.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

What is the reasoning behind not linking them?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

CainFortea posted:

What is the reasoning behind not linking them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DscunDFMvdE

Also last time they tried this it apparently hosed with some people's accounts for a couple days/weeks

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I linked it and it worked fine for me? I mean its Cryptic though so I definitely just got lucky rather than it actually working properly.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
New promo ship revealed: USS Space Toilet:

https://imgur.com/a/uDaTtHv

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Like it's gotta suck that if you actually like the ship design of the Discovery or La Sirena, lol they are loving lockbox/promo ships unlike every other prime timeline hero ship. On the other hand, lol I get to ignore more ultra expensive poo poo cause it looks like rear end and is stupid.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I really appreciate how this post doesn't even entertain the concept that someone might like discovery. The ship design sure, the show absolutely not.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I mean that might be a bit too harsh towards Discovery, which at least approaches the edge of being competent only to faceplant embarrassingly with some stupid idea right after I give them any credit. Meanwhile Picard is utter dreck and the only hope for it is if Q retcons s1 out of existence.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016

greasythepirate posted:

From the livestream: the devs didn't know which end of the ship was the front and asked CBS and they didn't know either.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Eimi posted:

I mean that might be a bit too harsh towards Discovery, which at least approaches the edge of being competent only to faceplant embarrassingly with some stupid idea right after I give them any credit. Meanwhile Picard is utter dreck and the only hope for it is if Q retcons s1 out of existence.

I will definitely spend money on a Legendary Cerritos though.

Also you know we're going to see the return of Janeway with her new cartoon too. :coffee:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

OGS-Remix posted:

I will definitely spend money on a Legendary Cerritos though.

Also you know we're going to see the return of Janeway with her new cartoon too. :coffee:

Janeway being relevant gives them the opportunity to make Psycho Janeway canon. Now that would be a fun STO story arc. Janeway launching her conquest of the Alpha Quadrant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0lZytCblEE

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

greasythepirate posted:

All hail the Ori!!

They have the lid down on the toilet seat so obviously designed by a woman. :cheeky:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

greasythepirate posted:

No idea why they'd do this and not the similar but much better Eisenberg class.

I do hope they do the Angelou Class next though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 22, 2021

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

greasythepirate posted:

Cryptic must have lost A TON of money with the Magic desaster if they think a flying bidet is worth a promo ship

Eimi posted:

Like it's gotta suck that if you actually like the ship design of the Discovery or La Sirena, lol they are loving lockbox/promo ships unlike every other prime timeline hero ship. On the other hand, lol I get to ignore more ultra expensive poo poo cause it looks like rear end and is stupid.

the only Discovery design that I can really appretiate and is well done is the Constitution design, that one has a good "modernized" look to it

Teron D Amun fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 22, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Teron D Amun posted:

Cryptic must have lost A TON of money with the Magic desaster if they think a flying bidet is worth a promo ship

Nah, they just made an executive decision that all of the 31st century ships would be promo and they're rolling them out one by one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Stats on the flying toilet.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MikeJF posted:

Nah, they just made an executive decision that all of the 31st century ships would be promo and they're rolling them out one by one.

Really helps me not care about them, so fine by me.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Does anyone else have the problem that New Romulus level scales to 50 after you complete that one mission in the warehouse, or is this a feature? It currently makes it challenging for my main (lvl 30 starfleet) to get forward with the episodes. I really, really hope they do not expect me to grind fleet battles and PvE random events for 20 levels so that I can forward the plot again.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

Does anyone else have the problem that New Romulus level scales to 50 after you complete that one mission in the warehouse, or is this a feature? It currently makes it challenging for my main (lvl 30 starfleet) to get forward with the episodes. I really, really hope they do not expect me to grind fleet battles and PvE random events for 20 levels so that I can forward the plot again.

The instances should scale to your level, that's weird.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Hunter Noventa posted:

The instances should scale to your level, that's weird.

I hope it was a bug or something, I'll try again tomorrow. The random critters two-shotted me and my security officer again and again, and I have level-appropriate items on both of us, and the earlier scaled maps and group PvE hasn't given me any lip before.

Anyway, I went away and did some other stuff on my quest list and a couple of patrols to tip over the lvl30 threshold. So now I am running the galaxy-class as an engineer.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Der Kyhe posted:

I wouldn't know, I haven't leveled a char through story missions in years. If it keeps being weird, feel free to skip all the new rom missions and come back to them later.

But in general you might want to grind levels a little. After new rom is the Solanae arc, which should be ok. But the one after that is Delta Rising, which fully expects you to be at least level 50 with good gear (though you could probably get through it at level 65 with ok gear). There are good ways to grind up levels quickly (patrols which take time but are free, or research assignments which cost ec but are fast). But doing that tends to leave you low on decent gear. If that becomes a problem, feel free to bug me in-game (@g0del) and I can craft some basic mk xii vr gear.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Have they ever discussed what class the canonical captains would have been? Like Picard would be Science or whatever?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

theironjef posted:

Have they ever discussed what class the canonical captains would have been? Like Picard would be Science or whatever?
My thoughts:
I don't think so for all of them, other a few possible glimpses from episodes:
Archer: did piloting stuff, so maybe tactical?
Kirk: shirt says tactical, but Scotty seemed to be a bigger influence on how the ship ran.
Picard: archeology is a science, and he was a science officer in the not-heart-stabbed timeline. (Arguably, STO places the Galaxy as a cruiser, which is Engineering-aligned in the original ship-class trifecta, but captain ≠ ship)
Sisko: no way it can't be tactical, although he was part of the Defiant development team.
Janeway: explicitly stated to be science

Georgiou is a bit of a wild-card, seems like she could have been science?
you know why this spoiler is here Lorca is definitely tactical, with his secret stash.
Pike... again, not really sure how I'd pin him down, leaning towards tactical
Saru would very much be science.

Lorak fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 24, 2021

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't watched STD. Did they make any good looking far future ships? Stats aside everything they've put out so far has been a visual mess.

I appreciate the flying bungalow but I won't fly one. Same for the space toilet. Is there a space folding lawn chair?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

DancingShade posted:

I haven't watched STD. Did they make any good looking far future ships? Stats aside everything they've put out so far has been a visual mess.

I appreciate the flying bungalow but I won't fly one. Same for the space toilet. Is there a space folding lawn chair?

I like the Angelou-class, simple as it is. Armstrong-type isn't too bad either,

The warship (heavy cruiser) Viridian was kind of neat, and I'd be happy with a improved Grappler console in the form of its mechanical tentacles.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A space flying jungle seems neat. You don't worry about intruders beaming aboard, you simply let the jungle cats eat them.

Presumably the bridge is a tree house rigged with computers.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Discovery is allergic to giving us decent shots of these things for some reason.

I honestly quite like the Eisenberg class because it uses similar elements to what we're used to, with a kind of saucer-esque main mass and a neck and nacelles away from the main and all that, but in a different setup that still makes sense.

The general concept of the space rainforest is cool. People like the Armstrong but honestly the overuse of holes and spokes in the saucer kinda annoys me, just make it solid. Compared to the other ships Voyager-J isn't actually that bad on that front. I'd like to see more of the Type 7.

I think they messed up the colouring of the courage class in STO, despite the concept art onscreen it's been a fair bit darker than the other ships?

greasythepirate posted:

From the livestream: the devs didn't know which end of the ship was the front and asked CBS and they didn't know either.

Then again, onscreen it's very obvious which end is forwards so they clearly never actually watched the show.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 24, 2021

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If the old iconian ships could use hull type zero we'd already be set.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

g0del posted:

I wouldn't know, I haven't leveled a char through story missions in years. If it keeps being weird, feel free to skip all the new rom missions and come back to them later.

I got it to work but the New Romulus season is incredibly janky compared to the earlier ones; the neutral romulans on the map are as flagged enemies, and will aggro at you if you accidentally use area effect weapons too close to them since some animal are hostile.

Everyone on the planet also keeps telling you that "you do not have access rights to this area" because it refers to some reputation system that has been taken out. Similarly, the place is full of items, characters and collectable points of interest which I think are remnants from that reputation grind. As far as I know, they no longer do anything but the game keeps referencing to a mechanic that simply no longer exists.

Additionally, all missions give piddly amount of XP (some hundreds), and you actually need to play every instance 2-3 time in a row so that all of the scripts fire at least once.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I can appreciate the Mars class as like a weird sci fi ship. It has a neat profile and has some gravitas despite being in two parts. I still hate that this is the route they decided to go with actual Federation ships, I don't know who thinks things being disconnected looks cool. Also I agree gently caress wholes and spokes in the saucer, give use the whole saucer! :argh: The Saturn class could also be okay but I think it's front is the smooth end instead of the one with spikes which ruins it's look.

Also for the New Romulus missions, if you hit skip and then accept both missions at the same time, you don't need to backtrack.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Eimi posted:

Also for the New Romulus missions, if you hit skip and then accept both missions at the same time, you don't need to backtrack.

Ah, thank you! I did not even think of that.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Then again, onscreen it's very obvious which end is forwards so they clearly never actually watched the show.
In most of the shots of it in season 3, the big tall part is obviously the front, which matches with the labels on memory alpha. But in the final episode of season 3 when the fleet is chasing Discovery, it's shown flying backwards:

So they did watch the show, evidently more carefully than the VFX artists who put that scene together.

Der Kyhe posted:

Everyone on the planet also keeps telling you that "you do not have access rights to this area" because it refers to some reputation system that has been taken out. Similarly, the place is full of items, characters and collectable points of interest which I think are remnants from that reputation grind. As far as I know, they no longer do anything but the game keeps referencing to a mechanic that simply no longer exists.

Additionally, all missions give piddly amount of XP (some hundreds), and you actually need to play every instance 2-3 time in a row so that all of the scripts fire at least once.
The reputation hasn't been completely removed, you'll get access at level 50. They just (imperfectly) removed most of the connections between the Romulan reputation and the New Romulus quests. That's why you get the weird missions that make you go right back to where you just left, fighting all the enemies again just to click a single console. Those missions originally were unlocked by leveling up the reputation and didn't mix into the storyline missions at all. The way they're set up now is probably the worst possible way cryptic could have handled it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Well I have no idea why this showed up in my promotions tab, but my alts will take it. It's a drat shame you can't claim it as a fed Rom which my main is, but I also got it randomly for free, so I guess thanks Cryptic.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's been given out as reward/bundle for various... things...? Like charity drives and whatnot. gently caress if I remember what included it though, and yeah I give 50/50 odds for it just being given to you for no inexplicable reason becayse Cryptic. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What the hell did they do to the launcher. Link account to steam? What?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 27, 2021