Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

6 tb? What is that, just the roms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

The 7th Guest posted:

Maybe y'all should just not have 25 AAA games installed at the same time if you're concerned about space. get some indie games on there instead

You are wrong I need to make sure all six sata headers on my motherboard are filled or I'm not a true PC gamer

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

6 tb? What is that, just the roms?

It's 6 TB of DOOM wads

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Comedy option: NFS mount your library from a NAS you carry with you. Just bring that 48 bay SAS expander chassis with you.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

all this talk about storage is making me kinda regret reserving the 256GB one because I'm an impatient baby who wants their new toy ASAP. i guess i can buy a bigass micro SD. my deck will probably just be a dedicated emulation and indie title machine since that's all I usually play these days. Maybe Forza if the hardware can run it ok enough because of course I'm installing Windows on mine, I ain't messing with that Linux compatibility nonsense.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 24, 2021

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I wonder how quick the WiFi is. If it's reasonable then I don't think it'll be an issue just to download stuff as needed.

I'm curious about how well this will run older local co-op games on a big TV. I guess the resolution could still be dropped and it'd still be ok.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Blade Runner posted:

I mean, thinking about it, the most sensible (albeit janky) storage option to me is probably just sticking one of these:

onto the back of the Deck with some command strips. It seems kinda dumb, but there's more than enough space for smaller cases and I doubt it'd add much weight.

Or you can just, like, only carry 512 gigs of storage with you when you go out, I guess.

flashing back to the guy who glued game cases to the back of his 3ds and then instantly regretted it, ripped them off, marring his console for all time

lmao

sigher posted:

Just glue it to the back of your Steam Deck like that goon that did it to his 3DS.

wow i was instantly beaten. still hilarious though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Chas McGill posted:

I wonder how quick the WiFi is. If it's reasonable then I don't think it'll be an issue just to download stuff as needed.

Wifi is always far faster than your actual internet connection. Unless you're talking about having them downloaded locally somehow and plucking them of your own network as needed.

init
Jun 20, 2021

repiv posted:

gonna break out the m.2 slot to full pci-e and plug in a 3090 for convenient portable gaming on the go

If it supports eGPUs, you might actually be able to do this relatively easily with USB-C.

Of course, you'd have to spend 3-4 times the price of a Steam Deck on the eGPU enclosure and the GPU itself, but maybe that's worth it to have raytracing on the go

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

gently caress SNEEP posted:

It's 6 TB of DOOM wads

drat, NOW I feel called out

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

You'll probably be able to easily move games between storage devices, like you can already do in Steam. So instead of carrying around a thousand SD cards you could just bring along a big external drive and swap whatever games you have on the device.

Still pretty goofy, though!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

init posted:

If it supports eGPUs, you might actually be able to do this relatively easily with USB-C.

Of course, you'd have to spend 3-4 times the price of a Steam Deck on the eGPU enclosure and the GPU itself, but maybe that's worth it to have raytracing on the go

eGPUs connect over Thunderbolt, or USB4 in the future which is just rebranded Thunderbolt, so they're not gonna work over the Decks USB3.2g2 port

Technically you could wire up a GPU to the m.2 slot and probably get it working but obviously that's a stupid idea

I'm sure someone will do it for a YouTube video though

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

init posted:

It would be silly as hell to do that for a portable, but having all that connected to a dock for when using it at home would be cool if this is your only computer

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I feel pretty good about my 256gb reservation. That's gonna be plenty of space for the kinds of games I'm gonna play on this thing to keep a handful of AAA titles on the nvme and use a microsd card for smaller or older games.

I'm not gonna be playing games like Warzone or Destiny or other massive online games where I would rather be on a mouse and keyboard anyway.

I really see this as replacing my Switch for all non-Nintendo made games like Dark Souls or Dead Cells that I like to play on a handheld while my wife is using the TV and even being able to run bigger games that would never launch there like Resident Evil 2 Remake.

I wonder how Steam OS is gonna handle logging into other launchers. Will I be able to run stuff like Mass Effect Legendary that boots up Origin? What about Cyberpunk that has a launcher associated with it, or Far Cry games that use Ubisoft Connect?

e: I realize the answer to that is "install Windows" but I'm hoping the Deck works with as many games as possible without jumping through hoops.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 24, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

If it's a "Steam launches another launcher which launches the game" situation I think Proton can handle that for the most part, the other launcher just runs in Proton as well

Running games from entirely separate launchers on SteamOS will require some jumping through hoops though

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

KakerMix posted:

Wifi is always far faster than your actual internet connection. Unless you're talking about having them downloaded locally somehow and plucking them of your own network as needed.
Why does my old phone take so long to download stuff vs my laptop then? Access to different frequencies?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It could be that your old phone only supports the older WiFi standards, but even within a particular standard some devices just have worse implementations than others

802.11ac is the most common standard today (802.11ax/WiFi6 is the best but not widely supported yet) and generally good enough, but for example the Switch has notoriously terrible WiFi speeds over 802.11ac

Wait and see how the Decks WiFi chipset performs in practice

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

jumping through hoops.

I hate to say it but with every ultra portable PC that's been released, there seems to be alot of this. I'd like to be wrong tho!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Gutcruncher posted:

It would be silly as hell to do that for a portable, but having all that connected to a dock for when using it at home would be cool if this is your only computer

I was just thinking, that'd be an interesting solution. I have a gaming PC but it's far too large to carry upstairs conveniently, and I haven't had good luck with Steam Link. I have a Deck on preorder, and using an eGPU would give me an almost desktop analogue plus able to run on my TV with a bit more grunt

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Again, eGPUs aren't gonna work with this thing. They require a Thunderbolt USB-C connection which the Deck doesn't support unless Valve forgot to tell anyone.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

repiv posted:

Again, eGPUs aren't gonna work with this thing. They require a Thunderbolt USB-C connection which the Deck doesn't support unless Valve forgot to tell anyone.

Oh oops, missed that part

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Guys. It's a handheld. You're supposed to lay on the couch, stuff your mouth with unhealthy snacks, and play Loop Hero until you fall asleep. You are not supposed to connect a dozen peripherals because you'll get tangled in all the cables and embarrass yourself when the EMTs arrive to cut you free.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Antigravitas posted:

Guys. It's a handheld. You're supposed to lay on the couch, stuff your mouth with unhealthy snacks, and play Loop Hero until you fall asleep. You are not supposed to connect a dozen peripherals because you'll get tangled in all the cables and embarrass yourself when the EMTs arrive to cut you free.
If you only want to play AAA 100gb multiplayer games while sitting on your couch, there's already a PS5 that exists for that purpose. Just enjoy all the Hollow Knights and Hadeses that are pretty but still graphically (and storage-wise) manageable without the bleeding edge technology.

But for the love of god, don't get cheeto and dorito dust on your handheld computer. Red vines and pretzels are much cleaner.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Infinite Karma posted:

If you only want to play AAA 100gb multiplayer games while sitting on your couch, there's already a PS5 that exists for that purpose.

Steamlink from your PC instead to your smart TV for a cheaper solution.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

sigher posted:

Just glue it to the back of your Steam Deck like that goon that did it to his 3DS.

Soul Glo posted:

flashing back to the guy who glued game cases to the back of his 3ds and then instantly regretted it, ripped them off, marring his console for all time

Holy gently caress, I sort of remember that! Who was the complete idiot inexperienced modder who did it? I wanna see the photos of that hideous thing again.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Holy gently caress, I sort of remember that! Who was the complete idiot inexperienced modder who did it? I wanna see the photos of that hideous thing again.

It was Turtlelicious lol. :rip:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh, that idiot!

Turtlicious posted:

How dumb is cutting apart the game cart cases to get those little cart holders out and super gluing them to the back of my nu3dsm, My girlfriend shouted at me "What are you doing!?" over and over then ripped the thing out of my hands getting krazy glue everywhere. was it really that bad of an idea?

Turtlicious posted:

So that cheapo chinese case? I bought one, and it works pretty well but the nubs don't stick out enough for me. Here are some pictures.

Turtlicious posted:

I just thought it was very functional

Turtlicious posted:

So uhhh... Anyone know some good decal girl skins?

e: I'm an idiot, please help me hide my shame.

You couldn't make this poo poo up! I hope they are still out there planning to hot glue weird stuff into the Gabe Gear.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Saoshyant posted:

You couldn't make this poo poo up! I hope they are still out there planning to hot glue weird stuff into the Gabe Gear.

Physical keyboard and mouse

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Oh, that idiot!

lol I thought for sure they were shitposting just to rile everyone up but then the photo proof came in lol

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

KakerMix posted:

Not... really. If you're lucky enough to have gig internet (or really like 500+) wifi's a likely bottleneck.

Speaking very generally in real world conditions on 5G / 802.11ac you're looking at 300-500Mbps if you have a good signal and depending on the antennas involved. If you're on 2.4G / 802.11n maybe like 80 Mbps is your real-world max. That's ~40 / 10 MBps (bit versus Byte, internet speed tests use the former for reasons but the latter is what steam'll show in your downloads.)

This also depends on the server on the other end coughing up data that fast. Steam is one of the few regular services that works it.

There are ways to get better numbers but it gets complicated fast and I don't see mention of the wifi chip in the Deck anywhere so who knows what we're actually talking about here. Be cool if it supported 6e but if they're trying to keep costs down wouldn't surprise me if no.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Is anyone still getting this thing in December? Under Cancel Reservation I had no date for awhile but I just checked and it's now at Q1. I ordered 4 minutes after pre-orders open.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

NmareBfly posted:

Not... really. If you're lucky enough to have gig internet (or really like 500+) wifi's a likely bottleneck.

Speaking very generally in real world conditions on 5G / 802.11ac you're looking at 300-500Mbps if you have a good signal and depending on the antennas involved. If you're on 2.4G / 802.11n maybe like 80 Mbps is your real-world max. That's ~40 / 10 MBps (bit versus Byte, internet speed tests use the former for reasons but the latter is what steam'll show in your downloads.)

This also depends on the server on the other end coughing up data that fast. Steam is one of the few regular services that works it.

There are ways to get better numbers but it gets complicated fast and I don't see mention of the wifi chip in the Deck anywhere so who knows what we're actually talking about here. Be cool if it supported 6e but if they're trying to keep costs down wouldn't surprise me if no.

It's WiFi 5. https://www.steamdeck.com/en/tech

So you won't be able to cap out your gigabit internet with your fancy new WiFi 6 router, but for the 95% of other people using this thing, it'll be fine. WiFi 6 is probably something that will come in a revision down the line.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

KingKapalone posted:

Is anyone still getting this thing in December? Under Cancel Reservation I had no date for awhile but I just checked and it's now at Q1. I ordered 4 minutes after pre-orders open.

I'm still at December, but I ordered literally the second it opened.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's WiFi 5. https://www.steamdeck.com/en/tech

So you won't be able to cap out your gigabit internet with your fancy new WiFi 6 router, but for the 95% of other people using this thing, it'll be fine. WiFi 6 is probably something that will come in a revision down the line.

WiFi 5 is fine if they implement it properly but there's always the chance they gently caress it up somehow

looking at you, nintendo switch with WiFi 5 that somehow only gets 25mbit/sec to the router literally through one door and down the hall

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Posting from australia where I'm never going to see this released, smile

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

KingKapalone posted:

If you didn't order in the first minute you're Q1 basically.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Oh well I certainly tried in the first second but it took those 4 minutes to go through. Bummer that it previously looked like it would be December but switched.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

KingKapalone posted:

I was a 512 moved from Q2 to Q1, who knows

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I wouldn't focus on the ship dates too much yet. Things are bound to change and unless things go totally off the rails I bet there will be quite a few Dec. shipments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Mine actually says December 2021 now. It was one of the ones not showing a date at all on preorder day.