Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Like, I know what Zelda is all about, it's just that normally I go out to provincial parks a few times a year with Mom so we can look at birds and moths and wasps and fungi and flowers and I have cabin fever and I'm channeling that into whatever game lets me look at critters.

BotW but with a gigantic Animal Crossing style museum where you can display all the critters/fungi/jewels etc you collect would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Like, I know what Zelda is all about, it's just that normally I go out to provincial parks a few times a year with Mom so we can look at birds and moths and wasps and fungi and flowers and I have cabin fever and I'm channeling that into whatever game lets me look at critters.
For what it's worth, that's what inspired Pokemon.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Tbh I am kicking myself that I was always swiping my sword at the bees that come out of the beehives instead of busting out my bugnet and capturing them all.

I'm sorry, bees. :(

Wait, they're hornets? Oh, gently caress them then.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
How many shrines do you get to before hunting them down is a pain? Im up to 80

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The last 15 or so were somewhat annoying. Most of them were the ones where the challenge was getting to them and the actual shrine was empty. It was very disappointing because I wanted more puzzles rooms.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I found a few of those while i was hunting lynels. Just no fun.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I gotta be honest, I was a bit surprised to see Skyward Sword HD hovering around the 85% opencritic average, considering I am not having anything CLOSE to that good of an experience.

The game pad controls are awful, the game design -- even though they have modernized it a bit -- is still outdated and clunky. It looks and sounds nice, and the little forest creatures were cute, though.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
People are really, really desperate for more mainline 3d Zelda after not having one for 10 years...enough to go back and play the one that came out 10 years ago. Especially since as far as we know the future is BotW and there likely won't be a more old style Zelda for a long time.

Honestly though I was really surprised at how many mechanics and themes from BotW originated in Skyward Sword. The story covers similar beats in a lot of ways.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Skulk Hogan posted:

Honestly, you'll get VERY close if you just identify any blank spots on the map. They seem to be spread out fairly evenly. I somehow got 119/120 just by doing that.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I gotta be honest, I was a bit surprised to see Skyward Sword HD hovering around the 85% opencritic average, considering I am not having anything CLOSE to that good of an experience.

The game pad controls are awful, the game design -- even though they have modernized it a bit -- is still outdated and clunky. It looks and sounds nice, and the little forest creatures were cute, though.

I’ve been hearing a lot of complaints about the button controls, more than with the motion controls. I wonder if it’s because a lot more people started with button because they assumed they wouldn’t like the motion controls?

I guess my advice would be to try the motion controls, if you haven’t yet. They’re very good, much more accurate than the Wii version.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Skulk Hogan posted:

I think I only couldn't find about 5 on my own, and I maintain one of those is still utter horseshit. The rest are pretty easy if you keep just filling in blank areas like people say.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I'm old enough to remember when a Zelda game getting 88% was a travesty :v:

I disagree on the button controls though, I've been playing most of the game with them and besides not being as fast or visceral as swinging the sword with the motion controls I think they're fine? Spin attacks and death blows are a bit tricky but otherwise I haven't had much problem with them.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Zore posted:

I think I only couldn't find about 5 on my own, and I maintain one of those is still utter horseshit. The rest are pretty easy if you keep just filling in blank areas like people say.

I think there was only one I didn't find AT ALL. That was one that was at the bottom of what appears to be a bottomless gorge.

I had to look up a couple Shrine quests, because those don't ping the sensor. But I found the vast majority on my own by looking for areas of the map I hadn't been to yet.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Silver Falcon posted:

I think there was only one I didn't find AT ALL. That was one that was at the bottom of what appears to be a bottomless gorge.

I had to look up a couple Shrine quests, because those don't ping the sensor. But I found the vast majority on my own by looking for areas of the map I hadn't been to yet.

Yeah, most of the ones I didn't find were the quests (specifically all the Kakariko requirements suuuucked)

The one I was completely stumped on though was The one in Hyrule Castle itself

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm enjoying the button controls a bit more in handheld mode with the Hori split pad. I don't know why I find it so much more comfortable than using the Pro controller in docked mode. Maybe I just don't enjoy playing from that sort of distance anymore.

I'm starting to get used to the dumb camera setup and even if the sword controls aren't great so far I've been able to get by just wildly flailing the right stick around.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If you want all 120 and are at the point of saying gently caress it, you can cheat by using the interactive map:

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/breath-of-the-wild-interactive-map/

You click the ones you’ve found and they’ll be removed, allowing you locate any remaining.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
I finished my run of SSHD and came away both more appreciative and way less appreciative of Skyward Sword overall. It feels like for every great idea it has, there's something right beside it that pulls it back down, or vice-versa.

Overworld areas are great and feel like open dungeons, but then they reuse them mercilessly. It feels like a time crunch thing? Like how two of the planned dungeons in Wind Waker turned into micro-dungeons and a drawn-out Tingle fetch-quest because oops deadlines. Lanayru barely re-uses anything on your three major visits to the region, Faron reuses its main area a couple of times, and then Eldin just has you climb that sodding mountain about 20 times.

The soundtrack is wonderful and they really put the live orchestra to full effect. Except when they use midi samples for the vocal songs you learn across the second half, those all sound real bad. And it's always accompanied by slightly horrifying singing animation loops with this game's signature awful facial animations.

The characters are really well done, especially Groose's arc, but the overall story is... well, Link's story at least is crap. And he's the main character. Prove your worth in order to earn the chance to prove your worth so you may one day truly prove your worth two or three more times, and then maybe we'll permit you to fight the bad guy who's trying to destroy the world. A ton of it is written in Curiously Specific Prophecy, too. It's never just "yeah you need to go open that big door", its "it is foretold by the goddess Hylia that a hero shall appear with key in hand and the way forward will be shown to him beyond hinged barriers of stone" while Fi performs another interpretive dance routine. It's a bit much.

The sidequests are all fun and do a great job of fleshing out the world's minor characters, and I love that they all tie back to one big singular pay-off, keeping me hunting them down between every dungeon to see who I could help out next. But the padding and event-flagging evident in all of them (long flights back and forth across the sky, journeys deep into regions to talk to one guy or pick up one dropped item, finding beds to switch between day and night, etc) gets pretty grating.

I still don't like the sword combat so much (although I'll accept that's mostly because I'm just really bad at it), but everything can be countered by something else, which is cool.

The amount of padding in this game is completely absurd. I don't have a positive counter-point to that one. There's just huge portions of the game that feel wildly unecessary. It's a slog to get through at points.

I think overall it's still a pretty good Zelda game, but its also the one with the biggest problems weighing it down.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
OoT/MM and WW had instruments you needed to learn songs for and play, but SS had a loving harp that was all "I dunno wave your hand back and forth like an idiot at precisely the right speed."

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Pretty sure that's exactly how the harp is played though?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Only 2 shrines frustrated me and the last only because I didn't grok the sensor ignoring elevation

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I wonder if people who hate the button controls aren't flicking the stick for sword swings? when I first started using button controls I just assumed they worked like metal gear rising's controls (hold the stick in one direction then quickly swing it in the opposite direction), which was awkward and unresponsive because that's not how they're supposed to work. when I realized you're supposed to flick the stick it felt a lot better to control and now I find it satisfying and fun. granted it took me about two minutes to figure out how they were supposed to work so I can't imagine someone going through the whole game without realizing this

on the other hand switching weapons in button mode isn't as intuitive and it took me a lot longer to get used to that, and I still occasionally accidentally pull up the weapon wheel when I'm trying to use a weapon and vice versa. it's kind of awkward having to let go of R2 before letting go of the stick when selecting a weapon or pouch item but sooner or later you get used to it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

romanowski posted:

I wonder if people who hate the button controls aren't flicking the stick for sword swings? when I first started using button controls I just assumed they worked like metal gear rising's controls (hold the stick in one direction then quickly swing it in the opposite direction), which was awkward and unresponsive because that's not how they're supposed to work. when I realized you're supposed to flick the stick it felt a lot better to control and now I find it satisfying and fun. granted it took me about two minutes to figure out how they were supposed to work so I can't imagine someone going through the whole game without realizing this

I was gonna ask what trouble people are having, that's about all I can think of. After getting used to snappy movements it's been fine for me. The only real complaint I have is one mentioned above that you should be holding the left trigger to toggle sword use rather than camera.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
https://twitter.com/WorstLink/status/1418729445519544323?s=20

If you are wondering the obvious question, yes, this did reset all my progress.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Well, maybe Link #871 will do better :pray:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fifty Three posted:

For what it's worth, that's what inspired Pokemon.

Pikmin as well I believe.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

For all it’s problems, Skyward Sword definitely ends on a high note. The final dungeon and everything after it is excellent.

EZgrease
Oct 21, 2004

Finished Skyward Sword HD for the first time since I never got around to beating it on the Wii, and I have to say I spent more time cursing the motion controls than actually having fun. People have said the motion controls are a lot more precise this time around, but they sure as hell felt terrible to me (probably because I'm bad at video games). It's too bad because I wanted to like the game. Way too much backtracking, "exploring" the sky was boring, especially when compared to Wind Waker... The side quests were interesting at least.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
I think the problem with the motion controls is that whilst it is more accurate, the actual sword swings are still waiting for a particular gesture before running the animation, not actually 1:1 tracking the controller movement. So it still feels a bit sticky because the swing doesn't happen until a beat after you input the gesture

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The motion controls were utterly unplayable on the Wii. I don't know how anyone finished the game.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

stev posted:

The motion controls were utterly unplayable on the Wii. I don't know how anyone finished the game.

they were not lol

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Replaying Skyward Sword has me so utterly charmed. I love how goofy and cutesy everything is and the dungeons are all really interesting and fun. The items you get are all neat and you get to solve some fun puzzles using them. The idea of the Sandship alone is more interesting and imaginative than basically anything in BotW. I hope BotW 2 has more designed poo poo like this on top of being a Physics Engine Sandbox, because I miss this kind of poo poo.

The factory and the sand sea and loving around in time bubbles, so loving cool.

stev posted:

Literal children beat that game with motion controls. they worked fine if you treated the thing like a Wii game and not a 1:1 motion tracking VR rig. short quick swings and not full on flailing around worked just fine.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 24, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

stev posted:

:lmao:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

to be fair, the motion plus addons would break pretty easily so if you were stuck with one of those (like I was) then it could actually become literally unplayable

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Not unplayable, but even with the MotionPlus, the controls would just refuse to work at times, but no other Wii game I had suffered this issue. Only ever Skyward Sword.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The button controls are pretty good if you can’t manage the motion. Though I wish there were a way to drive the beetle with gyro

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

hatty posted:

The button controls are pretty good if you can’t manage the motion. Though I wish there were a way to drive the beetle with gyro

I hated that you could aim the beetle with gyro on button controls but not actually control the thing in-flight with it

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I didn't have too many problems from what I remember, and I had to make do with the WiiMotion Plus dongle. I think smaller movements helped.

That said, I am glad that the motion sensing era has died down in favor of mostly gyro controls. As great as, say, the Metroid Prime trilogy was with pointer controls, I'm sure that era just totally disenfranchised a number of disabled Nintendo fans, which sucks!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

stev posted:

no one else can possibly have had an experience different from my own

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Zeron posted:

BotW but with a gigantic Animal Crossing style museum where you can display all the critters/fungi/jewels etc you collect would be amazing.

I was really disappointed that the house you can buy only lets you display something like 7 weapons total and serves basically no other purpose. It having vast catacombs to display all your stuff, like Skyrim's Hearthfire expansion, would have been incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Raylax posted:

I was really disappointed that the house you can buy only lets you display something like 7 weapons total and serves basically no other purpose. It having vast catacombs to display all your stuff, like Skyrim's Hearthfire expansion, would have been incredible.

It should’ve included a soft bed or something to make it worthwhile to sleep in it.

I just beat skyward sword hd and I really do like this game. The presentation is lovely and I love how it takes the time to explain the origin of most of the series' staples, including the main theme.