Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Mederlock posted:

My question for you folks is, is a full bag club fitting really worth the money? I'm 6'2"+ and I'm using standard length clubs, but find I'm regularly just barely topping/blading my clubs. Not sure if it's a technique thing or a club thing(or both). My instructor mentioned something about it, but I'm just not sure. The money isn't a huge factor, but I don't want to drop it if it's only a minor improvement compared to what I'd see from that money's worth of lessons.

So you have a fairly large shop to get a lesson from? My playing partner just went through this. He booked a lesson at a more expensive place with a bigger demo club selection and got to try out what the instructor wanted (+1 inch).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I think a one plane swing in the Moe Norman vein is an unnatural movement even if it’s biomechanically simple. Justin Thomas is the current opposite example where he lifts his arms way above his shoulder plane, but even something like Tiger in 2000 is pretty natural in terms of your arms naturally elevating slightly above your shoulder plane on the backswing.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

xsf421 posted:

So you have a fairly large shop to get a lesson from? My playing partner just went through this. He booked a lesson at a more expensive place with a bigger demo club selection and got to try out what the instructor wanted (+1 inch).

Well, the instructor is one of the local course pros, and he suggested I look into it was all. He said I could make what I have work with enough practice, but that I might be more comfortable with clubs adjusted to my size properly. There is a really good, reasonably large shop in town with highly recommended fitters that I'd probably go to.

What's your playing partner's opinion been on doing the fitting and getting his clubs sized up? Has he found it a lot more comfortable?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Bryson out of the Olympics due to positive covid test. Replaced by Patrick Reed

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
lmao

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

AndrewP posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying its the best swing available, but to me it kind of makes sense from a movement standpoint more than the standard driver swing ever has. Easier to replicate.

If I could get like 220 out of the tee box and not into the woods I'd be satisfied.

In all seriousness, go get lessons from your local golf pro.

If you are an adult male, free from injury, you should be able to clear 220 easily WITH PROPER TECHNIQUE.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Mederlock posted:

Well, the instructor is one of the local course pros, and he suggested I look into it was all. He said I could make what I have work with enough practice, but that I might be more comfortable with clubs adjusted to my size properly. There is a really good, reasonably large shop in town with highly recommended fitters that I'd probably go to.

What's your playing partner's opinion been on doing the fitting and getting his clubs sized up? Has he found it a lot more comfortable?

Going to +1 on 5 wood through sand wedge has been amazing for me. Much more comfortable when swinging. I need (probably just a want tbh) a +1 driver.

The only annoying thing about the +1 set is everything goes really far. The increased distance takes some acclimation and the long irons don't see nearly as much play ( on a typical Muni course)

Internet Savant fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 25, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Rahm is out of th Olympics for testing positive...again. that's odd.

He tested positive in May... Got vaccinated. Then tested positive in July?

nerox
May 20, 2001
Someone: I wish Bryson was not representing the US in the Olympics.

Monkey paw closes one finger:

shyduck posted:

Bryson out of the Olympics due to positive covid test. Replaced by Patrick Reed

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Rahm is out of th Olympics for testing positive...again. that's odd.

He tested positive in May... Got vaccinated. Then tested positive in July?

You can still get covid even fully vaccinated.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mattfl posted:

You can still get covid even fully vaccinated.

No I know that. It just seems crazy to have gotten covid, get the vaccine then get it again. All in line a month or two time span. Like what a poo poo immune system he has! I think double infections are relatively rare. Double infections that close together prob even rarer. Double infections with a vaccine in between? That's nuts!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

BonoMan posted:

No I know that. It just seems crazy to have gotten covid, get the vaccine then get it again. All in line a month or two time span. Like what a poo poo immune system he has! I think double infections are relatively rare. Double infections that close together prob even rarer. Double infections with a vaccine in between? That's nuts!

Delta replicates so fast that it can infect you before the vaccine-mediated immune response, and it (relatively) easily evades the antibodies from prior infections. He probably didn’t feel sick but his CT levels were high enough to register on the PCR. No reason to suspect a poo poo immune system at all — this is where we are now.

Sources:

https://medical.mit.edu/covid-19-updates/2021/07/deltas-here

https://www.statnews.com/2021/07/08/study-highlights-need-for-full-covid-vaccination-to-protect-against-delta-variant/

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
After years of switching between Chrome Soft soccer balls, matte red Superhot 70s, and whatever balls I find on the course, I've been playing the last few rounds with the Chrome Soft LS X and I've been really pleasantly surprised. I got interested in it because I was looking for a ball to reduce spin on my mishits, particularly on my driver and long irons, but also help stick the greens. I had been hitting top flite bombs off the tee and switching to the softer callaways closer to the green or on par 3s, which felt too precious and earned some lightly derisive/annoyed comments from my playing partners.

At first I didn't think I'd like the LS X because it didn't feel Chrome Soft at all, just Chrome Hard and super heavy. But it really seems to have consistently gone way straighter than any other ball I've hit, even the bombs. Normally, if I mishit and sidespin, my ball would go waaay into the next fairway (if I was lucky to be aligned adjacent to one on my right). Now it would start to drift right but just kind of gently fade and then stop. I actually had to get used to looking for my ball much closer to the center line than I typically do, I kept on thinking I'd lost it and then trudge back to the fairway to stumble upon it in the rough.

It seemed to stick to the green relatively well — not as well as the truvis chrome soft, but fine — and I putted great with it. I went back to the matte's today and played significantly worse, more like my old game. Of course it could be day to day variations too but I think I'm going to stick with the LSX for a bit and see what happens.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
On a whim, swapped my driver shaft from a 50g regular flex to a 60g stiff flex and it feels great on the range. Looking forward to taking it out on the course and setting a new record in balls lost off the tee though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Morikawa, McIlroy, and Sung Jae Im are teeing right now. Overnight golf!!!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lmao if Captain America Patrick Reed wins this whole thing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Apparently Im can skip military duty if he wins a medal!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Winning the Honda should be worth more than medaling here. Or even the Masters runner-up!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Oh man I completely forgot there was Olympic Golf! Hell yeah gonna DVR the hell out of that.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Apparently Im can skip military duty if he wins a medal!

Si Woo Kim too.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Should I Buy New Clubs?

I've been using the same set of Lynx Predators set-in-a-bag on-and-off for the last fifteen years. They're Fine. I went to a simulator a few weeks ago and the guy suggested switching to a midsize grip, which, cool, fine, but would I be spending $150 putting new grips on clubs that might as well be dust? I'd just be getting another set-in-a-bag because I'm extremely lazy (or willing to be talked into something else), but are these clubs of mine good enough?

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Deathlove posted:

Should I Buy New Clubs?

I've been using the same set of Lynx Predators set-in-a-bag on-and-off for the last fifteen years. They're Fine. I went to a simulator a few weeks ago and the guy suggested switching to a midsize grip, which, cool, fine, but would I be spending $150 putting new grips on clubs that might as well be dust? I'd just be getting another set-in-a-bag because I'm extremely lazy (or willing to be talked into something else), but are these clubs of mine good enough?

Set-in-a-bag clubs are universally garbage, especially something that's 15 years old. But it all depends on how often you play and how much you care about having "good" equipment.

If you just play in a charity scramble or two every summer with your buddies, then who cares?

If you play at least a couple of times per month and are actively trying to get better - definitely get new clubs. Your best bet is going to be getting a used set of literally any name brand (Ping, Callaway, TaylorMade, Titleist, Mizuno, ...etc.).

If you're in or near any major city or anywhere that golf is popular, there'll be a golf store you can go to in person and find a ton of used sets. It won't be $150, but for ~$500 you can probably cobble together a set of used irons/wedges/woods of various brands that will be a massive improvement over what you're using now. Online is always an option too if you don't have a physical place nearby, but the best deals on used stuff are usually going to be in the stores.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i just picked up a set of battered old taylormades on craigslist for $20 from a guy who "doesn't know much about golf." they could use some new grips but it still seems like a pretty good buy. i have a "get golf ready" lesson this weekend and i watched an old jack nicklaus video on youtube, so expect to see me at augusta in a couple of years

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Weedle posted:

i just picked up a set of battered old taylormades on craigslist for $20 from a guy who "doesn't know much about golf." they could use some new grips but it still seems like a pretty good buy. i have a "get golf ready" lesson this weekend and i watched an old jack nicklaus video on youtube, so expect to see me at augusta in a couple of years

Hello fellow Mario Golfer! Welcome to the thread.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

BCRock posted:

If you're in or near any major city or anywhere that golf is popular, there'll be a golf store you can go to in person and find a ton of used sets. It won't be $150, but for ~$500 you can probably cobble together a set of used irons/wedges/woods of various brands that will be a massive improvement over what you're using now. Online is always an option too if you don't have a physical place nearby, but the best deals on used stuff are usually going to be in the stores.

I'm in the Chicago suburbs and have a Golf Galaxy and PGA Tour shop basically catty-corner from each other, so I'll check it out! Driver, 3W, 3I, 5I, 7I, 9I, PW, SW, putter?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Shot the best round of my life today. 81 on some bullshit little course. Still felt cool, also beat the dude who’s kind of been my nemesis of our usual group so double stoked. It’d be rad to break 80 this year and my main reasoning is that I kept the driver in the bag and focused more on keeping my approach shot to where I actually kick rear end, 100 yards, as opposed to 30-60 yards where I suck rear end. I also only had one beer, but I’m positive that has nothing to do with it.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Also, anyone else really enjoying the Olympic golf? It’s no bullshit and little commercials, no player highlight or whatever. It’s just golf. It’s a really relaxing watch.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Deathlove posted:

I'm in the Chicago suburbs and have a Golf Galaxy and PGA Tour shop basically catty-corner from each other, so I'll check it out! Driver, 3W, 3I, 5I, 7I, 9I, PW, SW, putter?
probably don't get a 3I and get a 6 and 8 instead (the 8 for sure imo)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Mcqueen posted:

Shot the best round of my life today. 81 on some bullshit little course. Still felt cool, also beat the dude who’s kind of been my nemesis of our usual group so double stoked. It’d be rad to break 80 this year and my main reasoning is that I kept the driver in the bag and focused more on keeping my approach shot to where I actually kick rear end, 100 yards, as opposed to 30-60 yards where I suck rear end. I also only had one beer, but I’m positive that has nothing to do with it.

That’s awesome, congrats man. I need to focus more on leaving it in my prime approach areas instead of just trying to get as close to the green as possible.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

RCarr posted:

That’s awesome, congrats man. I need to focus more on leaving it in my prime approach areas instead of just trying to get as close to the green as possible.

Same. After I began to be able to a hit a driver, and hit it far, the feeling of absolute power and positive reinforcement from my dad made me just want to go ham on every hole. But I'm so much less reliable with my 60* from 60 yards than my gap from 120, so I'm trying to make myself just do my 4i sometimes.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Petey posted:

Same. After I began to be able to a hit a driver, and hit it far, the feeling of absolute power and positive reinforcement from my dad made me just want to go ham on every hole. But I'm so much less reliable with my 60* from 60 yards than my gap from 120, so I'm trying to make myself just do my 4i sometimes.

I had a similar situation, so I've been working through Dave Pelz Short Game book, and it's made a big difference. Now I know that if I want to hit a 60 yd flag, I can either hit a 60 degree at 10:30 arm position, SW at 9:00, or a bump and run PW at 7:30.

Highly recommend. I played at Wolfdancer and couldn't drive for poo poo, kept hitting OB or Lost ball, and my improved short game was the only thing keeping me under 100.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Mcqueen posted:

Also, anyone else really enjoying the Olympic golf? It’s no bullshit and little commercials, no player highlight or whatever. It’s just golf. It’s a really relaxing watch.

I am, yes. Course is beautiful, the play has been good, Rory isn’t wearing a hat because he has a small head, leaderboard is so far very good.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've watched a bit and it is cool - but ultimately still have a feeling of why is this needed and feel it doesn't really fit in the olympics and should just piss off. It is nice to see an international leaderboard though and the PGA needs to think of hosting more events where internationals are eased in somehow.

Women's rugby is kicking its rear end right now

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Douchebag posted:

I am, yes. Course is beautiful, the play has been good, Rory isn’t wearing a hat because he has a small head, leaderboard is so far very good.

And we got to hear Xander breathe out a "shhhhiiiit" after a bad shot.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

last few guys are teeing off. things are getting lit!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

mcilroy has some diamond-cutter nips

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’s hot as balls out there today, those guys need to stay hydrated.

Also

https://twitter.com/budelliott3/status/1421648724099571723

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Had a couple interesting rounds of golf this week.

Monday: shot 77, hit 11 fairways/(7 for 7 on back nine) one of my absolute best driving rounds ever, 12 greens. This included three putts on the last three holes because we played them in total darkness, like legit completely dark. Hit all 3 GIR on those last holes but couldn’t read the green or distance at all on the putts.

Today: Shot 78, hit 3 fairways, 7 greens, but made more putts than I have in awhile, think I got up and down 6 times.

Pretty encouraged by the putting today though, went back to the Nike blade!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

oh no schauffele is choking. blasted it so far to the right that he lost it, then blasted his do-over to the left where it bounced off a tree. what a nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006