Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Strange Tales #104 (1963)

Exiles #1 (2001)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm so glad they're finally doing the whole "Mutants meet the galaxy as equals" thing and have been for a while now. Reading comics as a kid, I always wanted them to just say "gently caress it" to humanity and make their own country and just leave humanity behind, except for diplomatic relations and stuff.

Of course, we did get that briefly, with Genosha. Then Morrison killed everyone. Also, Asteroid M.

It's going to be so sad when it all this turns to poo poo.

krakoa is the hubris that walks like a man.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's not going to be that sad because you get the feeling there's some shadiness going down in the background here. I get the vibe that everything is not as it appears to be.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm so glad they're finally doing the whole "Mutants meet the galaxy as equals" thing and have been for a while now. Reading comics as a kid, I always wanted them to just say "gently caress it" to humanity and make their own country and just leave humanity behind, except for diplomatic relations and stuff.

Of course, we did get that briefly, with Genosha. Then Morrison killed everyone. Also, Asteroid M.

Don't forget the previous island nation they had.

Really, someone founds an independent mutant homeland every five years. Or every six months due to the Marvel sliding timescale.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Random Stranger posted:

Don't forget the previous island nation they had.

Really, someone founds an independent mutant homeland every five years. Or every six months due to the Marvel sliding timescale.

And they all seem to work out as well as any goon project.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Dareon posted:

And they all seem to work out as well as any goon project.

Sage will start the wiki.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It kind of strains the founding metaphor at the heart of the whole mutant business, so I'm looking forward to the next paradigm shift if it leads us back to basics. Though I'll happily rescind that if I end up terraforming Mars with some other trans and/or queer folks to escape putting up with assholes on Earth.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Splint Chesthair posted:

Sage will start the wiki.

Sage is the wiki

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Within 3 years they're going to be back to being hunted by Sentinels and on the verge of being wiped out or some other tired storyline.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Fantastic Four #60 (1967)

Detective Comics #1 (2001 reprint)

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Darthemed posted:

This feels like it could be a Seinfeld episode

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Some real Yellow Peril with that waiter though, yeesh.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Humor is subjective and all but pretty sure this is just racist and not funny.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Some real Yellow Peril with that waiter though, yeesh.

just wait till you see the cover of the book!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Barbara Gordon's "MY PARENTS ARE DEAAAD" shirt has the same energy as that spider-panel where one of the female spider-people comes in through the window and Spider-Man's sitting behind a desk with his own portrait on the wall behind him and she goes "and you're just sitting here... what ARE you doing?"

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
1) Someone needs to post that Spider-Man panel.

2) The best part of this is imagining how that became a meme in the DC Universe when I'm assuming it's still the case that few people know Batman's parents are deaaad.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Barbara bought a shirt of her boss slapping her on again, off again boyfriend. It's from DCU Hot Topic I'm betting. They have a whole section including multiple versions of "Clark introduces Kara".

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Keromaru5 posted:

1) Someone needs to post that Spider-Man panel.

2) The best part of this is imagining how that became a meme in the DC Universe when I'm assuming it's still the case that few people know Batman's parents are deaaad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't Gwen in the 60s Spider-Man cartoon universe at that point? It's basically the comic version of Oscar Isaac as Miguel O'Hara doing the pointing meme in the movie.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

wow that art is ms paint levels of poo poo.

I hope you are talking about the 2015 comic and not the Golden Age Flash

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dareon posted:

Barbara Gordon's "MY PARENTS ARE DEAAAD" shirt has the same energy as that spider-panel where one of the female spider-people comes in through the window and Spider-Man's sitting behind a desk with his own portrait on the wall behind him and she goes "and you're just sitting here... what ARE you doing?"

2 things
1.) I want that shirt, and I have already looked and you can't get one that one with the image that big and all in deep pink
2.) Does the existence of the shirt mean that Adam West live action Batman is real in universe, or that there was a cartoon based on 60s Batman?

:thunk:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I love how Kang even looks like he's arguing with the caption.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Elissimpark posted:

Going Home is Sim hate-reading American literature - I'd read bits of the Hemingway part at the time and it seemed interesting, but Sim explicitly stated he hates Hemingway and it kinda makes the whole story a bit unplesant.

Ha, I just realised I had confused Jun and Jul and forgotten how far behind I was on this thread, but if you wouldn't mind, considering how "masculine" Hemingway is often considered in different (including very traditional) ways, why would an ideologically committed male chauvinist like Sims have major issues with him?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

X-O posted:

It's not going to be that sad because you get the feeling there's some shadiness going down in the background here. I get the vibe that everything is not as it appears to be.

Of for sure. It's comics, no one gets to have anything nice for long. If they try, someone will sell their marriage to Satan because Spider-Man always needs to be the same character someone read half a century ago.

:sigh:

Cabbit posted:

It kind of strains the founding metaphor at the heart of the whole mutant business, so I'm looking forward to the next paradigm shift if it leads us back to basics. Though I'll happily rescind that if I end up terraforming Mars with some other trans and/or queer folks to escape putting up with assholes on Earth.

If the mutants did make a safe space world for all the abused minorities of Earth - and kept it - I'd so loving hyped I'd probably explode.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Ha, I just realised I had confused Jun and Jul and forgotten how far behind I was on this thread, but if you wouldn't mind, considering how "masculine" Hemingway is often considered in different (including very traditional) ways, why would an ideologically committed male chauvinist like Sims have major issues with him?

Hemingway's wife was butch and would gently caress Hemingway in the rear end with a strap on, if I remember correctly.

Edit: it's been like 15 years since I read it last, I could be wrong.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

He looks like he's vibing to some deep funk groove called Kang's Strut or something.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Ultimate Wolverine is a rapist pedophile.

My memories of that era are very vague, but is this in reference to Ultimate X-Men stuff or broader Ultimate stuff?

Uthor posted:

Hemingway's wife was butch and would gently caress Hemingway in the rear end with a strap on, if I remember correctly.

Edit: it's been like 15 years since I read it last, I could be wrong.

And this was a commonly known fact in the 80s? Like something Sims would know and hold against him?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My memories of that era are very vague, but is this in reference to Ultimate X-Men stuff or broader Ultimate stuff?

IIRC He got mind switched with Peter Parker and implied that while he was in Pete's body he banged MJ (who was still in high school at the time.)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC He got mind switched with Peter Parker and implied that while he was in Pete's body he banged MJ (who was still in high school at the time.)

He was also mind switched by Jean Grey, another teenage girl, because he was creeping her out and she wanted to gently caress with him.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

And this was a commonly known fact in the 80s? Like something Sims would know and hold against him?

Ultimate Wolverine perved on/hosed (?) underage MJ when body swapped with Spider-Man.

I don't know if this is a thing known about Hemingway or a thing Sim made up from reading what he wanted to between the lines of Hemingway's writings. It's the text of what Sim wrote in Cerebus.

It was also what Sim used as an explanation of why Hemingway died from suicide.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 25, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Uh uh, you can't trick me into reading Sim's notes again!

Mostly I think Sim didn't think much of his writing - he calls Papa a 'typist'. I think the notes are "To Ham or not to Ham" where he goes into detail, but be warned: crazy Sim stuff.

There's also a whole bunch of Mary Hemingway hate as well - fuzzily, I think Sim blames her for Hemingway's death. And of course, that leads to a whole bunch of mysogny, mostly in the footnotes.

In related things, I found this review of Form and Void (the relevant Cerebus arc) in good reads:

Mark posted:

Another beautiful volume of psychological damage, now with Ernest Hemingway.

which amused me.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

I hope you are talking about the 2015 comic and not the Golden Age Flash

You got it.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Tom Taylor is really, really good.

I've actually been re-reading all of Injustice recently, and while I wouldn't call all of it great, as there are some obvious limits both from the format and the eventual need to tie into the games, there is such great positive, creative energy in having the entire DC universe as a playground without onerous editorial oversight.

Oh poo poo, I just realised, this is what people like about good (nonsexual) fanfic, isn't it?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Infinitum posted:

2 things
1.) I want that shirt, and I have already looked and you can't get one that one with the image that big and all in deep pink

Tweet Tom to ask him to make it. Cuz he legit might do it

Uthor posted:

We stan a queen

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

I've actually been re-reading all of Injustice recently, and while I wouldn't call all of it great, as there are some obvious limits both from the format and the eventual need to tie into the games, there is such great positive, creative energy in having the entire DC universe as a playground without onerous editorial oversight.

Oh poo poo, I just realised, this is what people like about good (nonsexual) fanfic, isn't it?

Probably.

The Injustice comics are interesting because there’s a lot of fun, good stuff in them and then there’s the story of the games which is just so boring and uninteresting

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if you want to see that thing's dick then just commission an artist. they get disgusting fucks like you all the time.

Way back in the thread there were panels from a black and white TV show with Snagglepuss and Hucklebarry Hound discussing their literary output, where it took thread participants several posts to realise they were pantless, and I wish I could recall which page of this thread... :(

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Dareon posted:

What issue is this?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I love that Doctor 13 and his friends hangers on keep pushing at the edges of canon, the architects can't wipe them completely from existence.

To me the by far weirdest thing about "Doctor 13 Architecture and Morality" was that first issue dream bit where he was in bed with his daughter in lingerie, was that ever explained anywhere? It didn't seem to tie into any of the topics of the actual series beyond No offence Infectious Lass but Traci's half asian... Wer' gecks. Is 'ow we roll. So it seemed a pretty heavy and unsupported Freudian drop out of nowhere.

thetoughestbean posted:

Probably.

The Injustice comics are interesting because there’s a lot of fun, good stuff in them and then there’s the story of the games which is just so boring and uninteresting

I will happily admit to never having played the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

I will happily admit to never having played the games.

Netherrealm Studios have problems with their story modes where they try to simultaneously be fun romps and serious storytelling and they end up being neither