Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Captain Invictus posted:

can't use mangadex right now until I get a vpn

Opera browser has a built-in free VPN that is allowing me to read Mangadex even though Verizon is blocking it. It's probably routing my traffic through shady Russian servers, but then again Mangadex's DDOS protection is also shady Russian servers which is what Verizon is actually blocking anyway.

Sucks to load up an entirely different browser just for one website, but I won't use some site that just rips chapters from mangadex and plasters ads all around them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Genocidal Organ good or is it rather fascist-y? I've seen clips of the pod drop scene on YouTube and it looks like it could just as easily be an intriguing hard sci-fi thriller or a pro military wankfest.

Hard sci-fi/speculative anime and films are surprisingly rare and good ones even more so. Jin-Roh springs to mind as the best, and maybe Lily Cat.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's by the Metal Gear writer who is not Kojima, so it's extremely silly. At one point, someone tries to gun down our protagonist while yelling about how they're fighting to protect McDonald's and Dominos.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Metal Gear, huh? So anti-war, anti capitalist, but with an intense fetish for military hardware and a whole heap of irony?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Extremely on the nose but not very substantive.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Which completely out of left-field thing did this one predict years in advance while everyone laughed at how stupid and improbable it was? Or is Kojima specifically the only one with that power?

jinpachistar
Dec 25, 2012

Starting to get back into watching anime again; any recommendations for short-episode series? Doesn’t have to be comedies, but I loved stuff like Teekyu and Inferno Cop.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

jinpachistar posted:

Starting to get back into watching anime again; any recommendations for short-episode series? Doesn’t have to be comedies, but I loved stuff like Teekyu and Inferno Cop.

Space Patrol Luluco

Ai Mai Mi

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Already mentioned, but Space Patrol Luluco is great!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

jinpachistar posted:

Yama no Susume (Encouragement of Climb)
Nobunaga no Shinobi
Aggretsuko
Skull-Face Bookseller Honda-San

The Disastrous Life Of Saiki K originally aired as shorts that were then compiled into full length episodes so I'm counting that as well.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

jinpachistar posted:

Olympia Kyklos is a good timely one right now if you want something shitposty like those

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

jinpachistar posted:

EDIT: Turning Girls.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 25, 2021

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Asobi Asobase

Chio's School Road

Dumbbells: How Many Kilos Can You Lift

I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying

Bakarina

I know you said they don't necessarily have to be comedies, but these are all too fun to not recommended.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jinpachistar posted:

Are you open to older stuff? Cromartie High School if you've never seen it. Watch the dub.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The dub is good but I think the sub is best and preserves a lot of the humor better. The dub makes the main character the straight man which is a fundamental misunderstanding to the dyanamic

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

doomrider7 posted:

Asobi Asobase

Chio's School Road

Dumbbells: How Many Kilos Can You Lift

I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying

Bakarina

I know you said they don't necessarily have to be comedies, but these are all too fun to not recommended.

None of these besides "I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying" are shorts! Gah!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

My suggestion is Koroshiya-san: The Hired Gun.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

jinpachistar posted:

I'm giving another vote for Luluco (and its predecessor FLCL, if you haven't seen it somehow. Full length, but only six episodes). If you like Konosuba (a fun semi-parody isekai) then you might get some mileage out of Isekai Quartet, a crossover between a bunch of isekai series. It's not great, but some of the gags land well, and it's short.

For a non-comedy, Time of Eve is a really good science fiction short series. It's set in the future where humanoid robots are common, at a cafe where no-one is allowed to note who's flesh and blood. Some comedy, some drama, some tragedy, you know. Pretty well rounded for six episodes.

Also, I'd highly recommend the Japan Animator Expo. A ton of talented people doing all kinds of shorts. Some are good, some suck, but they're all quick, and some of them were acclaimed enough to lead to full serieses.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I should probably sign up for Crunchyroll, a lot of these recommendations are streaming there and not any anything else I have. And don't say Funimation, good lord they have the worst app on every platform.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GorfZaplen posted:

The dub is good but I think the sub is best and preserves a lot of the humor better. The dub makes the main character the straight man which is a fundamental misunderstanding to the dyanamic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q5N9QqOYxM

Kamiyama as the straight man. Right.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I mean more, in the dub he is in on the joke, in the original you can never tell whether he is or not. There's something about the performance that changes the nature of a lot of the jokes for the worse in my opinion

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BisterdDave posted:

I should probably sign up for Crunchyroll, a lot of these recommendations are streaming there and not any anything else I have. And don't say Funimation, good lord they have the worst app on every platform.

Funimation rebuilt their app from the ground-up off Animelab's a few months back. It's good now.

chiasaur11 posted:

For a non-comedy, Time of Eve is a really good science fiction short series. It's set in the future where humanoid robots are common, at a cafe where no-one is allowed to note who's flesh and blood. Some comedy, some drama, some tragedy, you know. Pretty well rounded for six episodes.

Watch the movie version, it's all six episodes back-to-back but with the option of an english dub and a little extra interstitial content to tie it all together better.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 25, 2021

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
There are just certain things I could never watch dubbed, even though the performances are good.

Beastars is a fine dub, but the original VAs' performances are so superlative that the dub actors pale in comparison of execution. When I learned why I was pretty set.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think the Cromartie dub suffers from sticking a bit too much to Japanese tl literalisms, but that'd also be in the subs anyway. It's definitely a product of it's time.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Funimation rebuilt their app from the ground-up off Animelab's a few months back. It's good now.

Hmmm, maybe I'll resub and finish watching Goblin Slayer now. Thanks for the heads up!

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Hello I'm looking for the following:
+ Regular, good fight/action scenes
+ People with powers, or mechs
+ Light-hearted-ish
+ Ideally something with compilation movies available if it's long

Things I'd like to avoid:
– Characters screaming about their problems constantly
– Filler. I realise this rules out the majority of famous anime with good fight scenes

I've seen:
✓ Gurren Lagann
✓ One Punch Man
✓ Overlord
✓ Loads of others I probably forget. I'll edit this list as people suggest things I've seen

ahobday fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 25, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ahobday posted:

+ Light-hearted-ish

– Filler. I realise this rules out the majority of famous anime with good fight scenes

I've seen:
✓ Gurren Lagann
✓ One Punch Man
✓ Overlord
✓ Loads of others I probably forget. I'll edit this list as people suggest things I've seen

Gunbuster and Diebuster have some amazing fights at just six episodes each. Might be good for mech action. Not purely lighthearted, but they're some of the predecessors to Gurren, so that might be your speed.

SAO: Gun Gale Online has some really fun crazy fights, and since it's all a game, you're encouraged to just laugh when people die horribly. One cour, quick and fun.

FLCL, which I can't describe better than saying it's both Fooley and Cooley. It's weird, it's fun, it's well animated, it's a coming of age story. It's just what you need when nothing amazing is ever happening.

Mazinkaizer SKL is basically what happens if Mazinger was Getter Robo. Sociopathic protagonists, lots and lots of really good looking fights, only three episodes, not a thought in its head. Sure, people die, but what matters is if swords or guns are cooler.

Big O: Batman in Dark City, but he has a giant robot. Only it's weirder than that.

(Also, Batman's main love interest is a robot.)

Patlabor OVAs: 7 episodes. They're police. They have giant robots. They have paperwork for the property damage the giant robots inevitably cause. Lighthearted, well animated, well written. And if you want more, you have a full length show available for followup. (Also, a couple movies, but they go a little more serious.)

Those should be enough to start, I hope. I've got a much longer list, but all at once feels a bit excessive.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Those should be enough to start, I hope. I've got a much longer list, but all at once feels a bit excessive.

Incredible. I haven't seen any of these except for FLCL. Will give them a try.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ahobday posted:

Incredible. I haven't seen any of these except for FLCL. Will give them a try.

Diebuster's by the team behind FLCL, and shares some themes. If you like FLCL, you've got good odds for Diebuster.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ahobday posted:

+ Light-hearted-ish

I've seen:
✓ Gurren Lagann
✓ One Punch Man
✓ Overlord

definitely highly recommend jujutsu kaisen.

rage of bahamut: genesis/shingeki no bahamut: genesis is excellent. it had a sequel anime with the subtitle "virgin soul" instead of genesis - don't watch this one. or do, i'm not the boss of you, but you should at least watch genesis first and even then i wouldn't exactly recommend it

mob psycho 100 is an adaptation of a manga written by the same guy who did the one punch man webcomic (which the anime is an adaptation of). where one punch man is primarily a comedy with drama elements, mob psycho 100 is more of a drama with comedic elements.

coffin princess chaika is pretty good

dorohedoro is kind of a soft recommend here - it has regularish fight scenes and they're fun enough but i wouldn't really recommend the show for them. it's also both light hearted and can have a pretty dark tone, so depending on what you're looking for out of "light hearted" it might not entirely fit. it's extremely good though so if you find yourself still looking for anime you should take a look. do note that it's an adaptation of a long manga and it's only 12 episodes long - it only adapts the first bit of the manga, so while it's short it also doesn't quite have a proper ending (very much an "end of part 1" kind of ending. no sequel season has been announced)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'll second Gunbuster/Diebuster, I just watched them recently and they still hold up very well.

jinpachistar
Dec 25, 2012

Thanks for the recs everyone (and reminding me that I need to rewatch Turning Girls and Cromartie)!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

getter robo is one of gurren lagann's big influences, new getter robo is pretty gory but its a fun ride that's independent of most other getter robo stuff, the characters are a lot of fun to watch gently caress up big demons in their giant robot. the animation's snappy for the fight scenes but it's also pretty low detail as an art style choice, and be prepared to see the same stock footage of getter robo combining about a dozen times. but its a really good anime.

edit: also fair warning for some crass humor. they really like showing the fat guy's rear end.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ahobday posted:

+ Light-hearted-ish

I've seen:
✓ Gurren Lagann
✓ One Punch Man
✓ Overlord

Majestic Prince

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ahobday posted:

+ Light-hearted-ish

I've seen:
✓ Gurren Lagann
✓ One Punch Man
✓ Overlord

Fullmetal alchemist: brotherhood, absolutely

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Fullmetal alchemist: brotherhood, absolutely

I tried this a while ago and it didn't grab me, but I cannot remember why.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
While FMAB doesn't really have filler (other than the first episode being anime-original for some reason), the pacing absolutely slows to a crawl in the middle, which is tough to get through when the show is 64 episodes long.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

FMA is something I'll never really understand the enthusiastic acclaim for. It's good! But it's just good and not ever particularly exemplary in my opinion. There's much better out there that aren't 64 episodes long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think the show is overall good but the manga is significantly better IMO. A lot of (good!) stories especially early on got axed or truncated and there's a sense of pacing and panel layout that is just so much snappier in the comic especially in the endgame where the show has to both speed up and stretch out some stuff out as it was ending at the same time.