Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

My reservation was for Q3 2022 initially, but quickly updated to Q2 and has stuck there since. It took me a couple of days to actually get mine in. Due to laziness and indecision, not anything relating to Steam.

I have a 512, which will be plenty for my entire Steam and GOG libraries and whatever emulation I want on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean people shouldn’t be suprised it changed, day one shipping estimates rarely are

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Deck will have a built in way to force 30fps apparently

https://twitter.com/Plagman2/status/1419087956535513093

Good for extending battery life, or improving frame pacing if the hardware can't sustain 60fps

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Probably libstrangle? It's a useful tool to hook into OpenGL and Vulkan.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
I waited a whole one day before decided to pre-order and now I'm waiting on Q2 2022, but I'm hoping that'll come forward a bit as it gets nearer. But it's fine, I can wait.

...I can wait...

Anyone know if they're using financial or calendar quarters for those estimates? Am I looking at Apr-Jul 2022 or Aug-Oct 2022?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I did my order within two hours of them going live and am at Q2 2022. Doesn’t seem to be any trend.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the trend is how long after 1pm EST you got your order in

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I got mine in around 1:30 pm and am Q1 2022.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

There have been lots of people running tests trying to use the SD card as a storage device for games. This is the most in-depth one I’ve seen so far

https://youtu.be/efD2wAfhXrU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Getting tempted to do some of my own tests, though I wouldn't use a physical card but a cgroup to limit speeds to something repeatable and deterministic…

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I got mine in around 1:30 pm and am Q1 2022.

yeah, because many, many people preordered in the half hour before then. mine was 1:04 and it's in December. the model probably matters, too: I got the 256GB model

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

Getting tempted to do some of my own tests, though I wouldn't use a physical card but a cgroup to limit speeds to something repeatable and deterministic…

Yeah there are so lots of variables at play here but I really think it’s going to be an ok way to play no matter which model you get.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

MarcusSA posted:

There have been lots of people running tests trying to use the SD card as a storage device for games. This is the most in-depth one I’ve seen so far

https://youtu.be/efD2wAfhXrU

It's a nice test, but it doesn't get into the fact that every single loading screen in a game is going to be similarly proportionally longer. If you've gotten used to SSD speeds it's going to get old fast.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
After several errors I got my 512gb order in at 1:07 and I’m at Q1 2022, so I’m wondering just how many people really managed to get the December slot.

e: I looked it up and I already made this post in this thread which always makes me feel like a dick.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Mine went through at 1:04PM for the 512GB, initially displayed as Q1 22, then no date for a few days, then back to Q1 22, then a few days later switched to Dec 21.

VVV I just checked again and I'm back to Q1 22 lol. I guess it's all up in the air anyways.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 25, 2021

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Mine says I got in exactly at 1 and I'm in Q1 :(

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

3pm, 256gb and q1. Good enough to have time for reviews and to decide if the reservation is worth keeping. Not caring too much because poo poo is getting crazy delays nowadays.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Everything new I read about this makes it sound better and better. I'm so used to nothing ever being good so this is a mindfuck.

Anyway Q1 512gb hell yeah can't wait

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

It's a nice test, but it doesn't get into the fact that every single loading screen in a game is going to be similarly proportionally longer. If you've gotten used to SSD speeds it's going to get old fast.

I don't think that's going to be an issue, one concern I do have is what about games that are streaming huge, open worlds on the fly? Are MicroSD cards fast enough for those titles?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sigher posted:

I don't think that's going to be an issue, one concern I do have is what about games that are streaming huge, open worlds on the fly? Are MicroSD cards fast enough for those titles?

My money is on yes.

Obviously it’s not going to be ideal because on a portable you are limited by time (battery) so it’s less game time overall.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Open world games are (for now) designed to work at least OK on the 5400rpm laptop hard drives in the PS4/XB1, which are in a similar ballpark to SD card read speeds

Games specifically targeting the new gen consoles, like that Avatar game coming next year, may well poo poo the bed though

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s going to be interesting if games start requiring an NVME(or SSD) drive out of the box. I think we are at least a year away from that though.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

repiv posted:

Open world games are (for now) designed to work at least OK on the 5400rpm laptop hard drives in the PS4/XB1, which are in a similar ballpark to SD card read speeds

Games specifically targeting the new gen consoles, like that Avatar game coming next year, may well poo poo the bed though

This is very true, and I think eMMC or SD cards won't really be able to run new AAA games that are coming out for consoles particularly well, honestly. However, I really think with the Deck in specific - and most systems not on an SSD, in all likelihood - you're going to run into performance issues with those games due to the CPU and GPU long before then.

This is a great machine for everything before the current gen and any indie games that are going to come out for several years, and you can probably stream to it pretty well, but you're not going to be running the big name 2022 titles on it, realistically.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

MarcusSA posted:

It’s going to be interesting if games start requiring an NVME(or SSD) drive out of the box. I think we are at least a year away from that though.

I think you are right with the amount of stuff that needs to get loaded in I really think it will be a requirement.

I fancy the idea of a steam deck but after cp2077 I just won't preorder game stuff till reviews are out. If it reviews weĺl I will definatelty get the most expensive version of it

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

MarcusSA posted:

Isn't that a part of the PlayStation 5 big thing? Extremely quick loading and then little to non loading screens in game?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

BexGu posted:

Isn't that a part of the PlayStation 5 big thing? Extremely quick loading and then little to non loading screens in game?

The PS5 is using their own custom sauce to move data from the SSD very quickly, but people are generally pessimistic about it being used for anything but exclusives.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Even if the extra special PS5 secret sauce doesn't get used all that much, the Series S/X also has a ~2.4GB/sec NVMe drive (not as fast as the PS5, but still fast) which sets the I/O baseline pretty high for this gen

Funnily enough the Xboxes use the same tiny 2230 m.2 drives as the Deck

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Microsoft is also making a NVMe in games push on Windows with DirectStorage.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Unlikely Proton will be able to handle DirectStorage anytime soon, even if it becomes common on Windows which itself will take a while.

The mobile, internal screen experience is not going to necessarily benefit a lot from next gen storage/compression tech. The Switch is proof of that. It's obviously good to have it, but as someone mentioned earlier there will hopefully be texture packs specifically targeting the Deck's screen that more directly balance compute/bandwidth vs visual quality.

E: not a direct response to ^^, post sat in the buffer for a long while.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 26, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

IGN is really milking this exclusive access huh

new video showing control mapping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZdMHL8IpBk

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

v1ld posted:

Unlikely Proton will be able to handle DirectStorage anytime soon, even if it becomes common on Windows which itself will take a while.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t be a quick implementation if Valve is motivated enough.

What DirectStorage is exactly is still a mystery because the API is under NDA, but it appears to be data decompression compute shaders that ship with the game rather than the operating system, a revamped Windows IO stack that doesn’t suck, and IoRing which Linux invented two years ago.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, it does depend on what DirectStorage can do. Can it do the PS5 thing of loading textures direct from ssd to graphics memory, bypassing CPU?

I guess Deck's unified memory architecture makes some interesting things possible here for decompression.

Where does texture decompression happen in modern games? On GPU or in CPU as part of copy to GPU memory?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
DirectStorage loads to system RAM rather than directly to the GPU but it supports decompression on the GPU so between bypassing the operating system's file system overhead and keeping things compressed until they're on the GPU, there should still be significant speedup potential.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I thought the Deck has the same unified memory architecture as the PS5. That's how I read the 16GB LPDDR5 - unified CPU/GPU memory. I assumed that was statically split based on game or some such.

Does it have dedicated GPU memory?

E: Unified as in: physically unified. May require page remapping tricks in the kernel to do zero copy to dedicated "GPU memory", but certainly feasible.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 26, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

v1ld posted:

Where does texture decompression happen in modern games? On GPU or in CPU as part of copy to GPU memory?

GPU texture units support various compressed formats natively so the data is never has to be decompressed in-memory, it's decompressed on the fly every time the texture is sampled

More recently there's been work on texture super-compression though, where textures are stored on-disk in a double compressed format with the outer layer decompressed on the CPU or GPU at load time

IIRC the new Xboxes have some bespoke silicon for unpacking super-compressed textures, but it can also be done in a compute shader

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I guess you're right about that. Though I'm not sure if DirectStorage itself will directly support a totally unified memory model since even the XSX has some weird memory splitting where part of the memory is optimized for the CPU and part of the memory is optimized for the GPU, even if it is technically unified.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Everything I've read about DirectStorage makes it sound like some monkey's paw thing. MS is finally unfucking its storage! But it's behind another proprietary API and the normal file system is as terrible as it has always been.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

From the presentation it sounded like they're focusing on "NVMe to RAM really fast" as an MVP, and fancier things like DMAing from the SSD directly to the GPU, or exploiting unified memory will come in a later iteration

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

Everything I've read about DirectStorage makes it sound like some monkey's paw thing. MS is finally unfucking its storage! But it's behind another proprietary API and the normal file system is as terrible as it has always been.

I don't think DirectStorage is a coherent thing like e.g. Direct3D, it seems to be a marketing name attached to several different things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Volte posted:

I guess you're right about that. Though I'm not sure if DirectStorage itself will directly support a totally unified memory model since even the XSX has some weird memory splitting where part of the memory is optimized for the CPU and part of the memory is optimized for the GPU, even if it is technically unified.

You're probably right in that the GPU will be allocated some range of actual physical memory that is outside the kernel's memory management, while the remainder is managed by the OS. Having to go through normal kernel memory management may either be too slow or not even possible for the GPU. Does a modern GPU even have paged memory models? Don't see why it would pay for the overhead.

repiv posted:

From the presentation it sounded like they're focusing on "NVMe to RAM really fast" as an MVP, and fancier things like DMAing from the SSD directly to the GPU, or exploiting unified memory will come in a later iteration

Makes sense. It's already fast enough and more for what they're targeting seems like - modulo not running extreme ultra graphics settings at 720p.

Booted up Kingdom Come Deliverance for the first time and it warned me when checking out performance of the ultra settings that those were meant for systems of the future and I really shouldn't use them unless I was in that far distant future. High/Very high don't get that warning.