Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

My weirdest pet peeve. Vegetables? Fine. Veggies? Also fine. Veg? Hate. Haaaaate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I will spell veg the way I spell it without spell check: veggatables

If I can get away with a shortened word that no one makes fun I will. It's ridic how often peeps get upset tho.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I think it annoys me in the inverse way that “maths” does.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think it annoys me in the inverse way that “maths” does.
Oh drat, okay I can understand that.

It's gonna bug me now too, isn't it? Dammit.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I hate how even pretty expensive bottles of whisky still have all the stupid marketing blurb all over the box and bottle about the sacred history of the distillery and the purity of the spring water and blah blah blah.

I dunno if it's maybe just to appeal more to the American market, but its just kind of cringey and embarrassing, and reminds me of those awful Jack Daniels adverts about ol' man Jack sittin' on the porch and urgh

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Windows.

Specifically (in this case) trying to do a quick restart to see if I can get something working and having to wait while it does updates that definitely couldn't possibly have waited till, I don't know, loving any other time.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

The Perfect Element posted:

I hate how even pretty expensive bottles of whisky still have all the stupid marketing blurb all over the box and bottle about the sacred history of the distillery and the purity of the spring water and blah blah blah.

I dunno if it's maybe just to appeal more to the American market, but its just kind of cringey and embarrassing, and reminds me of those awful Jack Daniels adverts about ol' man Jack sittin' on the porch and urgh

I could be misremembering, but most spirits in the US are made at a big factory by the Jim Beam folks with slightly different initial ingredients and sometimes a dye or two added for color. It is absolutely a factory process, not something 'sacred.' 'gently caress you I'll get drunk on industrial swill and have a hangover the same anyhow' is my attitude about the whole thing.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

2. That's not technically vegetarian/vegan because... (gently caress off don't care, I'll scoop the broccoli out of the buffet's broccoli and beef if I drat well please)

I lived with 3-4 people who all decided to go vegetarian at the same time, which I was fully in support of. I watched one of them making a pasta once and added a few big glugs of worcestershire sauce giving me the moral dilemma: do I tell them its not veggie?

I did in the end and they were just like oh no, guess I'll just use soy in future

I feel it was the right thing.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The two plies of toilet paper on this roll are misaligned, so you never tear off a perfectly serviceable two-ply sheet, but rather two separate horrible one-ply sheets.

Worse, it's not just this roll, but every last roll in this massive 30-roll pack of Kirkland Signature toilet paper. Every time I think/hope/pray we've used the last one, there's still another roll or two left to go. A FWP, I know, but it's a peeve that I've been experiencing several times a day for weeks now and I'm sick of it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hirayuki posted:

The two plies of toilet paper on this roll are misaligned, so you never tear off a perfectly serviceable two-ply sheet, but rather two separate horrible one-ply sheets.

Worse, it's not just this roll, but every last roll in this massive 30-roll pack of Kirkland Signature toilet paper. Every time I think/hope/pray we've used the last one, there's still another roll or two left to go. A FWP, I know, but it's a peeve that I've been experiencing several times a day for weeks now and I'm sick of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVtPB91OpZc

This is the one useful thing I remember learning from secondary school.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

The Perfect Element posted:

There's a boutique whisky distillery attached to a dairy co-op near where I live. When you take the tour, it's explicitly "the co-op board decided to diversify and boutique distilleries seemed to be doing well..."

The whisky is good too.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVtPB91OpZc

This is the one useful thing I remember learning from secondary school.
We tried that right away, but the two plies are off by such a tiny amount that it didn't work. Worth another shot, I suppose!

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

My boss has the annoying habit of ending the last sentence of all of her emails with ellipses. She is incredibly nice and supportive so I know this is probably something she does without thinking, but reading her emails triggers my anxiety something fierce. Real emails I have received from her:

"We should meet today..."

"I showed the client your proposal. Let's talk about it..."

"I hope your vacation is a lot of fun. We'll miss your contributions..."

How does this even happen? She must know what that looks like, right? Going into a completely normal, average meeting thinking that I'm about to get fired isn't great for my mental health!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Chip McFuck posted:

How does this even happen? She must know what that looks like, right?

No. Old people just use ellipses all over the place for no reason. No one knows why.

It's similar to how they'll leave voicemails saying "please call me when you have time" without realising that the person who gets that message immediately thinks "oh gently caress, what's wrong!?"

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Elissimpark posted:

There's a boutique whisky distillery attached to a dairy co-op near where I live. When you take the tour, it's explicitly "the co-op board decided to diversify and boutique distilleries seemed to be doing well..."

The whisky is good too.

Now that's the kind of marketing I can get behind. 'We have decided to diversify our range in order to compete in an increasingly competitive marketplace. Enjoy!'

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Tiggum posted:

No. Old people just use ellipses all over the place for no reason. No one knows why.

It's similar to how they'll leave voicemails saying "please call me when you have time" without realising that the person who gets that message immediately thinks "oh gently caress, what's wrong!?"

Ugh, I know exactly what you mean as my grandparents left cryptic voicemails all the time but in this case my boss is in her early forties. What makes this even stranger is that minor copy editing is a part of her job, so god knows why she continues to do it :psyduck:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Chip McFuck posted:

My boss has the annoying habit of ending the last sentence of all of her emails with ellipses.

Dip Viscous posted:

People that write forum posts and e-mails like this . . . is there a name for it . . . what makes people do it . . . how do they go their whole lives without noticing that it's not how people normally write . . . do they write everything like this or is it just when they use the Internet . . . how much does it cost to deworm a donkey . . . sometimes when you tell people that not using sentences or line breaks makes their posts hard to read they will deny writing this way even as they continue to do it in their reply . . .

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Clearly she considers the emails to be a continuing narrative,

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

A pet peeve is people being peeved by pet peeves.
Or more specifically, people who cannot shut up about being annoyed about a thing, and will whine and whinge about it every single time it's ever loving brought up.
It's perfectly fine to be annoyed by stuff, it is however loving obnoxious to complain and moan about it every single time it's brought up.

A friend of mine has an absurd hangup about delivery fees for food and loving rants and raves every single loving time it's mentioned, he orders something, or the topic comes up at all.
Yes, I loving get it, stop being a loving scratched record every single time it comes up. You're ordering food for your convenience, the food is already expensive! Either don't order, or stop loving griping that you have to pay a bit of money to have it delivered to your door.

(It's especially obnoxious because he's a well-paid computer toucher, and he just comes across as being a petulant child while griping about it. Even the most expensive deliveries he'll earn back in like 10-15 min of being on the clock.)
He's 100% one of those people who'd be suckered into buying something for 25$ with free shipping, instead of 15$ + 5$ shipping.

Brawnfire posted:

Clearly she considers the emails to be a continuing narrative...

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Chip McFuck posted:

My boss has the annoying habit of ending the last sentence of all of her emails with ellipses. She is incredibly nice and supportive so I know this is probably something she does without thinking, but reading her emails triggers my anxiety something fierce. Real emails I have received from her:

"We should meet today..."

"I showed the client your proposal. Let's talk about it..."

"I hope your vacation is a lot of fun. We'll miss your contributions..."

How does this even happen? She must know what that looks like, right? Going into a completely normal, average meeting thinking that I'm about to get fired isn't great for my mental health!

I hate this too and emails like this are always read with a William Shatner voice in my head.

Also it sounds kind of vaguely sinister.

"Come to my office... :gibs:"

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I always read that poo poo as looking down and shuffling your feet. Is it supposed to be an attempt at humility?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
listen i realize a retail job is poo poo and you don't owe anybody anything but it wouldn't loving kill you to call up and say "gently caress you im not coming in" out loud instead of just mysteriously failing to appear while other workers labor without any idea that their relief will never be arriving

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Killingyouguy! posted:

I always read that poo poo as looking down and shuffling your feet. Is it supposed to be an attempt at humility?

I've only used it when I'm getting super fed up with someone, which I learned from my first boss/research advisor who only did it when he was super fed up with me (he also liked to do all lower case emails with no heading when he was mad, but I think most people would just think i'm writing on a phone if I did that). I like to think they could tell how aggressively I tapped the period key to do it when they see it so they can tell how frustrated I am, but if they are thinking i'm trying to show humility I guess I need to try something else.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The ridiculously short amount of time it takes some TVs/monitors to conclude that the signal is never coming back and switch off (or switch to a different input source). I'm just rebooting! If I want the screen off, I'll press the loving button!

And no, neither of the screens currently annoying me have any option to increase the timer or disable it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Related, I have absolutely taken all the steps to prevent Windows 10 from restarting on its own.

It still does it about once a week, even when I've got a notepad.exe open with unsaved text in it specifically to halt restarts.

gently caress yooooooouuuuuuuu

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

FFT posted:

Related, I have absolutely taken all the steps to prevent Windows 10 from restarting on its own.

It still does it about once a week, even when I've got a notepad.exe open with unsaved text in it specifically to halt restarts.

gently caress yooooooouuuuuuuu

This got me to finally turn on the auto save in reaper, every now and then just waking up to a clean restart lost me a few hours of audio tweakage

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Meanwhile, my Windows 10 Home install is stuck in opposite land and I can't get it to automatically download updates, yet alone install them and reboot to gently caress up my day. Nothing ever happens unless I push the "check for updates" button myself. Sometimes I forget for 2-3 months and then there are so many updates that it takes multiple reboots to install them all.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My Windows 10 is perfectly normal and waits until i shut down my computer at the end of the day, which i do every day, to run updates.

My peeve is people who don't shut down at the end of the day!! you're done!! what does the computer need to be on for!! "oh but then i lose all my precious tabs" organize your life!! you do not need that many things open. focus on one thing at a time!!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Hirayuki posted:

TP peeve: Nobody in my work's bathroom will loving put the new TP on the roll. They stand it on the counter or on top of the holder like loving dorm freshmen. It takes literally one second to put it on properly. Come the gently caress on.

Also a frankly shocking amount of them don't flush and/or don't wash their hands. This is an emergency vet clinic these motherfuckers understand the importance of hygiene, I think. Disgusting motherfuckers.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Killingyouguy! posted:

My Windows 10 is perfectly normal and waits until i shut down my computer at the end of the day, which i do every day, to run updates.

My peeve is people who don't shut down at the end of the day!! you're done!! what does the computer need to be on for!! "oh but then i lose all my precious tabs" organize your life!! you do not need that many things open. focus on one thing at a time!!

I push the sleep button, best of both worlds.

And if some is losing their tabs from closing the browser, tell them it's time to upgrade past Mozilla Phoenix.

littlebluellama
Jun 18, 2013

I am kind, brave and deserve love.

InediblePenguin posted:

hah, only if he's 5'3

I just wanted you to know I appreciated this lol

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I'm moving out in a bit, and since I'm going cross country I'm reducing my furniture and etc down to what can reasonably fit in a car. Which means selling off some stuff.
And loving hell there are so many unserious, time-wasting idiots on Finn. (Norwegian craigslist, pretty much.)

It seems like the bigger a thing is, the more wishy washy people get.
Chief annoyances are my fridge and sofa, which both went through multiple 'Oh hey! I'm interested! ... oh wait I'm delayed, I'm delayed... no replies' rounds with different people.
A closet I sold was reserved by a guy for 2 days saying he could absolutely come pick it up, just to have him go 'Yeah nah we want a different coloured one' like 2 hours before he was supposed to pick it up.

You can't be a decent person and reserve stuff for people who show interest, because all too often people just stop replying or paying attention at all, and can't even be bothered to say so.
Over around 5 people contacted me about the fridge, just to never even read or respond to my reply. (The site has delivered/seen notes on messages, so you can see who the shits who don't reply to messages they've seen are.)

Hell, I gave away a small tv-table/coffee thing for free, to a guy who lives in the same apartment block as me.
'Yeah! I want it! ... uh I'm delayed, I'll be there in 30 min. ( 2hr later) oh, you put it out in the hallway for me? thanks!'
And it's now the day after and he still hasn't taken the 1-2 minutes needed to come and pick it up.

loving christ why are people so loving wishy washy and noncommital? Most of the people have been pretty decent, but the people who aren't are making the process such a loving pain in my goddamn dick.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I think a lot of people just want that little dopamine boost of "I got a new thing!", but actually going and picking it up becomes a hassle with no instant gratification, so they put it off and move on to the next thing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

SubNat posted:

I'm moving out in a bit, and since I'm going cross country I'm reducing my furniture and etc down to what can reasonably fit in a car. Which means selling off some stuff.

There were a couple times I moved where I could only realistically take what I could fit in a couple suitcases/backpack and tried to sell off my furniture. Even in a job where there was almost always either a student or new researcher looking for cheap used furniture, it was a huge pain in the rear end. Stuff like computer monitors and TVs went within the first few hours, but with furniture it was just questions and questions and can we see more photos and usually ends with "sorry I decided to just get new stuff at ikea". Some of the bigger stuff (sofa/bed) I even offered for free if they picked it up, but no luck.

It was getting to be like a week before I had to move to a different country, so I ended up actually paying someone (not much, just like 60 bucks for their time - they waived the normal moving fee since it was all still re-sellable) to take my sofa, coffee tables, chairs, bed etc to I guess the swiss equivalent of goodwill/salvation army shops. Kind of felt bad because I had spent roughly 1500 dollars on the stuff originally, but I still think it was worth it just for the convenience and will probably do the same next time I have to move, if they have a service like that in the US.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The appeal of a free sofa is countered by "how the gently caress am I going to move this sofa?"

We're moving soon and I have no loving idea what to do with the goddam sofa.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I recently sold a bunch of stuff off of Facebook marketplace and the number of people who ask "is this still available?" and then go silent...

I also had someone haggle me down 100$ since he was buying my dinner table, washer and dryer. He couldn't pick everything up at once so he put 50$ down and told me he'd pick them up the following Saturday. Then he backed out of buying the dryer. Then he changed it to Monday. Then he moved it to Wednesday. Then he backed out of buying the dinner table, and like an hour before he was supposed to show up he texts me saying he'll pick up the washer for 50$ (100$ off the asking price) and he couldn't understand why I didn't agree. I ended up having to refund his deposit.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I'm moving across the country and I have to find somewhere for my furniture, my husband's furniture, my hoarder Mom's furniture, and a barn full of farm equipment.

Starting to think arson is an option.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

gently caress coffee bags

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

gently caress coffee bags

I used to work somewhere, and there was a guy who would make coffee using one new bag, and one old one. :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Master Twig posted:

My Excel gripe is that it doesn't like 16 digit numbers. I have to put a lot of 16 digit numbers into spreadsheets, and it always wants to show them as like, 4.56e15, and then also often changes the last digit in the actual data field to a 0. So I have to use special formatting to make them both display and store properly.

Flashbacks to when my organization pushed out MS Sharepoint as our universal file-sharing platform, and it wouldn't let me share any of my files with 16-digit barcodes (i.e., all of my files) because it mistook them for credit card numbers. Everything got a "FLAGGED FOR CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION" warning and was inaccessible for a few weeks until IT could put me on some kind of whitelist.